ADVERTISEMENT

Roster as of May 16,2022

That didn’t take long

There is a back story to this which may involve possible tampering by other recent ex UR defensive coaches that now work for certain NC public institutions FBS programs.
Interesting that West and App State made an offer on the heels of tampering with Mustapha in the first place.

Last edited:
I’ll admit that I’m not in his shoes…but why would you choose AppyState over Wake & UR? I mean, I’d hate to lose him to wake but I understand that move. Great coach, great school, better football conference, etc. it’s hard to understand but unfortunately coaches don’t always have the kids best interest at heart.

I know it was said above, but the great coach tells you what you need to hear, not what you want to hear. sadly I don’t know enough folks realize it until it’s too late.

Unrelated note - can one of the football minds help explain to me how we seem to have so many QBs on our roster but not seem to have one that can produce at a high level? Is it that we’re not hitting on recruits? Is it that we have the wrong QB coach/OC? Is it a bad take on my part and the QB is better than I give it credit for? I’m open for the feedback - and be brutally honest if it’s just that I’m ignorant. Willing to learn here because it keeps seeming that we have “the next guy” but just doesn’t seem to me that we’re getting very strong/consistent QB play on what otherwise I think is a roster that could make some real noise.

Unrelated note - can one of the football minds help explain to me how we seem to have so many QBs on our roster but not seem to have one that can produce at a high level? Is it that we’re not hitting on recruits? Is it that we have the wrong QB coach/OC? Is it a bad take on my part and the QB is better than I give it credit for? I’m open for the feedback - and be brutally honest if it’s just that I’m ignorant. Willing to learn here because it keeps seeming that we have “the next guy” but just doesn’t seem to me that we’re getting very strong/consistent QB play on what otherwise I think is a roster that could make some real noise.
It's a valid question. Joe & Beau aren't going to be showing up on any all-time Spider great lists, but it's telling that the Jacksons & Braxton haven't been able to break through. Are we sure both of our QBs that got playing time are coming back again in the fall?

Mancuso is a Rocco recruit. English was seemingly a good transfer pickup, but he hasn't seized the opportunity.

This is an oversimplification, but it seems the only stud QB Huesman's ever landed was his son.

no expert here just a fan's perspective...Rocco put together a program with the assistant coaches who were able to recruit two pro style offense QBs back to back in Strauss from UVA and Lauletta, who is still on to practice team roster of the Cleveland Browns...

there are very few FCS teams that can recruit QBs like Strauss and Lauletta... Rocco had the assistant coaches at QB coach and OC that made UR an attractive destination for strong armed and talented QBs that could play the pro style...

Coach Huesman has a different staff and offensive philosophy at QB...

Mancuso and English, as well as, the other QBs aren't in a pro style offense, but Mancuso has produced enough points for the Spiders to win, if our defense delivers...that's why the spring season was important...we got to see if our defense could deliver and it did...we should be able to win important games in the fall

We are recruiting the types of QBs that fit our offensive philosophy which I assume is OC Durden's...they just aren't as fun to watch as Strauss and Lauletta, but can win in the right circumstances...think the guy Durden won with at JMU...Rodney was his name

Go Spiders!

no expert here just a fan's perspective...Rocco put together a program with the assistant coaches who were able to recruit two pro style offense QBs back to back in Strauss from UVA and Lauletta, who is still on to practice team roster of the Cleveland Browns...

there are very few FCS teams that can recruit QBs like Strauss and Lauletta... Rocco had the assistant coaches at QB coach and OC that made UR an attractive destination for strong armed and talented QBs that could play the pro style...

Coach Huesman has a different staff and offensive philosophy at QB...

Mancuso and English, as well as, the other QBs aren't in a pro style offense, but Mancuso has produced enough points for the Spiders to win, if our defense delivers...that's why the spring season was important...we got to see if our defense could deliver and it did...we should be able to win important games in the fall

We are recruiting the types of QBs that fit our offensive philosophy which I assume is OC Durden's...they just aren't as fun to watch as Strauss and Lauletta, but can win in the right circumstances...think the guy Durden won with at JMU...Rodney was his name

Go Spiders!
Rodney Landers I think?

Ya that was his name. He fit what jmu wanted to do very well. They ran a run heavy offense out of the gun with a lot of zone reads and play action passes to tight ends running seams against single high coverage. Durden seemed to adjust his offense pretty well to Landers skill set, don’t feel like he has done that for mancuso.

Here is a highlight video of landers I found from the 2008 season. If you watch the video there are several things I was impressed with. They are basically running a triple option offense out of the gun with a lot of motion in the backfield to move linebackers and safeties around. A lot of the plays have multiple reads in the run game for the quarterback, making it a triple option from the gun; QB reads the d end and then has a pitch man for when he reads the second level. I am probably more impressed with how they use the option threat to mask Landers deficiencies as a passer, they roll him out a lot giving him the option to run or throw and also use the option so much that it causes the defense to suck up, opening up downfield passing lanes that are easy reads and easy completions. Getting landers on the edge works so well because the second level is either going to come up to make a play on him running which then just leaves guys open downfield, or they will stay on their receivers which just gives him more space to run. Mancuso is a pretty similar player to me and we could use a lot of these things to make him that much better, we haven’t seen it yet.

The lesser,tampering schools got shut out.Russ’ relationship with Clawson provided a checkmate lesson for the NC based, former UR assistants.

Louisville says a commitment isn’t a commitment until the ink is dry.

Kind of interesting. Super selfishly I would offer him caution that these big time programs will have told 16 different kids they’ll be starting in the secondary next year. He could certainly develop and “get noticed” staying at Richmond (the NFL draft certainly had a good number of FCS kids). However, I understand you can’t replicate the emotional of wearing a ND uniform if that’s your dream.

as the transfer portal process plays out, I wonder how many kids you see start at FCS, transfer to BCS/P5 and transfer back to FCS schools (excuse the dated acronyms). I get it, it’s going to be hard for everyone.

My understanding is that you won't get to use the "transfer down to FCS and don't sit a year" exemption if it's your second transfer.

I’d obviously prefer him at Richmond, but if that wasn’t going to happen, I’m glad it’s Wake. No issue rooting for Clawson.

Reactions: Stork3 and urfan1
Big appetites among this crowd for dinner which Durdens hosted.QBs and RBs all look healthy.
Jackson Walker at 6-3,205 has moved from QB to WR.

Reactions: urfan1
Was brought in as a DL and was moved to OL when he arrived because of injuries. Was not happy about the move and left.
Scott played OG at Venice HS in 2016 and 2017,when they won the FL 7A State Championship.For the 2018 season Coach Peacock moved him to DL where he played along side Marlem Louis.Scott had a great year in 2018 at DL.
At UR,Scott played in only 2 games in Spring 2021 when injuries hit again.

Sometimes a player will leave a school because he doesn’t buy-into the program and sometimes it can even be for grades(or lack thereof).

UR is presently recruiting a very good WR from Venice,Jayshon Platt(father was FL All State),who I‘ll be sure to watch this Fall at Venice HS.

Last edited:
Reactions: urfan1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT