ADVERTISEMENT

Rocco to VMI

I guess vmi did a great job laying out their vision for the football program or Rocco wouldn't have taken the job.....

Reactions: Spiderwiz
It’s a good fit for both sides. Will be interesting if VMI gives Danny the type of free reign he had for most of his Liberty tenure.

Now, let’s deplete their roster of any talent that wants out. Usually root for VMI. This hire makes it harder. Solid hire by VMI.

If Rocco didn't feel he got enough support for the football program at Richmond he will absolutely hate being at VMI.
Judging how we treat success here, he would of been coach for life. Lateral move made out of spite that set us back years thanks to his insubordination. His W-L record is about to take a hit.

Judging how we treat success here, he would of been coach for life. Lateral move made out of spite that set us back years thanks to his insubordination. His W-L record is about to take a hit.

Danny is 62 yo.This is his swan song.His options were limited.Jim likely gave Danny a $200 K p.a. Deal for 5 years.with some bennies.
He will likely hire his son David as OC and some other familiar names.SS and Medicare are around the corner and within reach,almost.

Interesting vision if he thinks that VMI players won’t ever enter the transfer portal.

If you’re a fan of passing the ball and/scoring, tough break for VMI. Think most would put him up there with Durden.

Not sure why you don't think he will win at VMI. All he does is win. 47-20 at Liberty, 43-22 at Richmond, and 31-23 at Delaware.

How many winning seasons has VMI had in the last 40 years?

VMI is not Liberty or Richmond or Delaware. He'll lose there like everyone has lost there.

Not sure why you don't think he will win at VMI. All he does is win. 47-20 at Liberty, 43-22 at Richmond, and 31-23 at Delaware.
You and others jump to the conclusion that wins and losses are relative to Rocco’s tenure. I don’t think so.
I think he wears thin his welcome. Whether in reality or psychologicall, he left Liberty to come to us. He got forced
out of Delaware, and now he’s going to a school with a strong discipline. When he’s told that his QB can‘t make
practice because he has to serve off his demerits, and Rocco tells them to go f—- themselves, the end …
How long did Jim Reid last there?

You and others jump to the conclusion that wins and losses are relative to Rocco’s tenure. I don’t think so.
I think he wears thin his welcome. Whether in reality or psychologicall, he left Liberty to come to us. He got forced
out of Delaware, and now he’s going to a school with a strong discipline. When he’s told that his QB can‘t make
practice because he has to serve off his demerits, and Rocco tells them to go f—- themselves, the end …
How long did Jim Reid last there?
4 1st place finishes in 6 years at Liberty. 3 playoff years in 5 seasons at Richmond, including a semi final. 2 playoff years in 5 years at Delaware, including a semi final. All he does is win, and I'm sure VMI will be more than happy if he "wears thin his welcome" after a few playoff bids. And, do you think Udinski missed a bunch of practices there? He seemed to do more than fine in that environment.

All he does is win, except when he doesn’t win and then gets fired by Delaware.

Reactions: spiderjpo
VMI's football record over the last 10 seasons is 26-95. I have to think he might be thinking if he had stayed at Liberty or at UR he would be in a better situation. Would-a, could-a, should-a?

Reactions: CarolinaSpider
Rocco will do fine at VMI (by their standards) for five years, then leave or be fired. It’s his M.O. He is trending downward winning percentage-wise. Each stop, he’s gotten worse. That probably will continue but he will still be good for VMI because aside from Udinski’s last year there, they don’t have 7+ win seasons.

Reactions: AnnapSpider
VMI is the end of the coaching line for Rocco. He is 62 years old. Five years gets him into retirement.

Ironic, such a successful coach W-L wise with so much promise, would end their career at a place with slim chance of being successful consistently. A prideful, prickly personality often leads to strange endings.

Wish him the best. He did the Spiders proud....absent the unnecessarily nasty divorce.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT