ADVERTISEMENT

RIP Pete Carril

Watch #13 Princeton v #4 UCLA in 1996 NCAA tourney matchup

Princeton’s game is a perfect template for UR’s game.Uncanny.

Princeton housed Einstein and Carril.Both geniuses.

Last edited:
Watch #13 Princeton v #4 UCLA in 1996 NCAA tourney matchup

Princeton’s game is a perfect template for UR’s game.Uncanny.

Princeton housed Einstein and Carril.Both geniuses.
What really hurts running that offense now - is the shorter shot clock. Princeton was rising when it was 45 seconds and was able to do well with 35 - but that allows you to run that offense over and over and wear your opponent down and also limit possessions, which keeps the game close. Now with 30 seconds - by the time you get the ball over half court and one pass into your set - you might be at 24-22 seconds. And when it hits 10 seconds, everyone basically panics and goes 1 v 1 or looks for a ball screen.

I don't know if anyone runs that original Priceton offense any more. probably like Trap said ... due to the shot clock. we certainly don't run that. Princeton doesn't either.

Reactions: urfan1
I don't know if anyone runs that original Priceton offense any more. probably like Trap said ... due to the shot clock. we certainly don't run that. Princeton doesn't either.
The closest UR came to running it was very early in Mooney's career here - I would remember us really working to run the shot clock down. But once he found KA and Gonzo and had Geriot and Harper - it turned more into run a cut or two, and then really let KA work off a ball screen up high to create. This is why I think the PG position is so key under Mooney because he really relies on them to create the offense for themselves and others. And why this season will be so interesting because I don't think anyone will argue Burton is our best player - but he will need help (from coaches, and whoever our PG is) to get him in good positions to score. I don't think Burton is a guy we give the ball to on the wing and isolate or set a ball screen for. We may do that time to time, but he really needs plays set up to get him in a good spot or someone to drive and kick.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT