ADVERTISEMENT

Richmond-Duquesne, Part II

Close relation or more distant? Uncle, Cousin? Just curious.

Best decision I made today was to not tune in.

Just a fan stating the obvious; on here simply for the entertainment. All I have read all year is how Blake needs to shoot less, Blake needs to be a 6th man, Blake hurts the team. Glad some people were able to get their wish. Better luck next season hopefully.

Reactions: kickrocks4
It's no Milwaukee-Wright State chart, but it still ain't pretty.

Screen-Shot-2021-03-04-at-1-29-13-PM.jpg

Just a fan stating the obvious; on here simply for the entertainment. All I have read all year is how Blake needs to shoot less, Blake needs to be a 6th man, Blake hurts the team. Glad some people were able to get their wish. Better luck next season hopefully.
The reality is that were had all these same issues with Blake, without Blake, with Grant, without Grant. It really doesn't matter. The coach is the one consistent piece. It's so obvious to anyone who's paying attention.

Reactions: Not-A-Homer
I had to stop watching the game around 7-8 minutes into the second half because I got an unexpected video call that I had to take and was feeling pretty good about us getting the win and advancing, then all of a sudden I start getting texts and work chats from VCU fans talking trash and was so confused..then I checked the score 👀

Chris Mooney could teach a masters course on how to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory

Fire Mooney

Reactions: SpiderK
We looked good in practice. Ready for those remarks. I looked good too wide open. However, in a real game I have to play defense. Which isn't a focus. Playing defense you mean like keeping the player away from the basket. I am too soft like pillows. Just score and then I try to match it. Oh I missed. At least I competed. Sounds familiar.

The team faced a lot of adversity this year, some of it bad luck, some of it self induced. Whatever the case, good coaches figure out a way to overcome and motivate the players, Mooney didn't, hasn't, can't. The program is stale....Wholesale changes are called for.

Reactions: SpiderK
We kept it close all that mattered. But still lose. Everyone cash out your million dollar checks. I meant get rid of the sweater vest now.

and this gets posted as the game is coming to an end:
Dear Faculty, Staff, Students, Alumni, and Parents,

With great pleasure, we write to announce that the Board of Trustees has unanimously elected Kevin F. Hallock as the next President of the University of Richmond. Dr. Hallock is currently Dean and Professor of Strategy and Business Economics at Cornell University’s SC Johnson College of Business. He is also Joseph R. Rich ’80 Professor of Economics and Human Resource Studies and Founding Director of the Institute for Compensation Studies at Cornell’s School of Industrial and Labor Relations (ILR), where he formerly served as Kenneth F. Kahn ’69 Dean. A distinguished scholar, a gifted teacher, and an experienced and accomplished academic and institutional administrator, Dr. Hallock will join the University community this fall, at the beginning of the 2021–22 academic year. He will hold an appointment as Professor of Economics in the Robins School of Business with affiliated faculty appointments in the Jepson School of Leadership Studies and the Philosophy, Politics, Economics, and Law program in the School of Arts and Sciences.

As you know, President Crutcher asked the Board in September to begin the search for his successor. Given the constraints of the pandemic, he wanted to ensure that the University had the necessary time to complete a successful search in order to maintain without interruption our remarkable institutional momentum. The Board is deeply grateful to President Crutcher for his care for the institution and his leadership as our President over the past six years, especially as the University navigated the challenges of the pandemic. In the coming months, we will recognize the important and lasting contributions of President Crutcher and Dr. Betty Neal Crutcher and are pleased that they will remain in the Richmond family, with President Crutcher serving as President Emeritus and University Professor.

We also look forward to introducing Dr. Hallock and his wife, Tina, to the University community in person at the earliest opportunity allowed by the pandemic. They are delighted to be joining our community and are eager to get to know the Spider family.

A DISTINGUISHED SCHOLAR AND TEACHER

A member of Phi Beta Kappa (1990), Dr. Hallock received a B.A. degree in economics, summa cum laude, from the University of Massachusetts at Amherst (1991) and an M.A. (1993) and Ph.D. (1995) from Princeton University, both in economics. He began his career as an Assistant Professor at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and joined the Cornell faculty in 2005. He has won multiple awards for teaching excellence and has been an invaluable mentor to hundreds of undergraduate students throughout his career, many of whom have been engaged with his research. He has also served as advisor or dissertation committee chair for 50 Ph.D. students, many of whom are now themselves distinguished and accomplished scholars at prestigious institutions, government agencies, and NGOs.

Prior to his appointments as Dean of the SC Johnson College in 2018 and as Dean of ILR (2015–18), he served as Donald C. Opatrny ’74 Chair of the Department of Economics in the College of Arts and Sciences and the ILR School (2012–15) and as Chair of the Department of Labor Economics in ILR (2010–12). He currently is also an affiliated faculty member at the Cornell Center for the Study of Inequality, a Fellow of the Cornell Atkinson Center for Sustainability, a Fellow of the Stanford University Center for the Study of Poverty and Inequality, and a Research Associate at the National Bureau of Economic Research. His intellectual curiosity for and active engagement with a diversity of fields are evident throughout his career.

Dr. Hallock’s research focuses on topics including the gender pay gap, compensation design, compensation in nonprofits, executive compensation, layoffs, labor market discrimination, and disability in labor markets. He is the author or editor of 11 books and more than 100 publications. His book Pay: Why People Earn What They Earn was published by Cambridge University Press in 2012, and his book Compensation Design: Practical Insights from the Academic World is under contract with Cornell University Press. He serves or has served on the Editorial Board of the Industrial and Labor Relations Review and as Associate Editor of Labour Economics and the Journal of Labor Economics. His research has garnered significant support from the U.S. Department of Labor, the National Bureau of Economic Research, Intel Corporation, the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation, and the U.S. Department of Education, including a $4 million grant for a study of employer practices and employment outcomes for individuals with disabilities. His CV is available here.

AN ACCOMPLISHED ADMINISTRATOR

Dr. Hallock is widely admired across Cornell as a highly collaborative decisionmaker, an adroit problem solver, an exceptional university citizen, and an invaluable colleague. As Dean of the SC Johnson College, he oversees three constituent schools: the Johnson Graduate School of Management, the School of Hotel Administration, and the Dyson School of Applied Economics and Management. The College has more than 3,600 students, more than 700 staff and faculty, and an annual budget of $300 million. A skilled administrator known for his transparency and collaborative approach, he has established a solid financial foundation for the College, transforming a significant budget deficit into a budget surplus; increased applications and enrollment; strengthened the College’s presence in New York City; and fostered a greater sense of belonging and community for the College’s faculty, staff, students, and alumni. He has also initiated a new degree program in business analytics.

As Dean of the ILR School — which comprises sociologists, psychologists, historians, legal scholars, economists, and statisticians — he guided the school through a strategic planning process; implemented a curriculum revision; made important investments in the student experience and student well-being; and introduced an initiative that brings together students, staff, and faculty around a common academic theme. He also secured resources for investments in faculty and research and advocated for staff well-being.

Dr. Hallock is known as a student-centered leader who views all decisions through the lens of the impact on the student experience and student success. Since 2016, he has led the Cornell Student Experience Initiative Steering Committee, implementing new analytics and metrics systems for enhanced student support; a platform for more targeted and effective student advising; and an institution-wide dashboard for students to discover opportunities for research, community-engaged learning and service, study abroad, career opportunities, and fellowships. As Chair of the Department of Economics, he enhanced the undergraduate experience through the renovation of space, creation of community-building programs, enhancements to the curriculum, and expansion of the faculty. He has also been actively involved in Cornell’s mental health initiatives.

At the SC Johnson College, Dr. Hallock has advocated for increased diversity among faculty and staff; invested resources to support the role of Associate Dean for Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging; created a strategic fund to increase the number of underrepresented students in three Ph.D. programs; and established as a philanthropic priority support for a diverse pipeline of students for the MBA programs.

He has a strong record of engaging alumni and others in support of the College and has significantly strengthened the College’s development program as a precursor to the October 2021 public launch of an ambitious capital campaign that has already secured nearly half of its ultimate goal. He has also substantially increased the size of the College’s alumni leadership council, ensuring strong representation of women and persons of color.

THE SEARCH COMMITTEE’S CHARGE

We are deeply grateful to the members of the Presidential Search Committee for the dedication, rigor, energy, creativity, and commitment to the University’s excellence they brought to our work. Conducting a presidential search is always an enormous responsibility, and doing so within the constraints of COVID-19 was a still more challenging task, but the faculty, staff, students, alumni, and trustees on the committee rose to the challenge. The committee set high standards for candidates and demonstrated a deep commitment to building an accomplished and diverse pool of candidates, also engaging in anti-bias training to ensure our work reflected best practices.

We were also greatly aided by the clear and highly consistent input that faculty, staff, students, and alumni provided at the start of the se

Dr. Hallock , in regards to athletics, ahem, values competing, playing by the rules, strict admissions (on par with IVY and Patriot Leagues), his friendship with Paul and Chris, not being a jerk, and gentlemanship on the court. See you at the Tavern Chris!!

Well, that was entirely predictable. Team sleepwalked through their most important game of the year. Really would like to know who or what Grant was yelling at towards the end of the game.

Was Coach D comments postgame to save Mooneys job? He was very gracious indicating
the Spiders had a limited team.

Notable answer by Jake to the question about coming back next year. He says that 'Himself and 2 other seniors were very disappointed how the season played out'. Would one interpret the statement that 3 of them are thinking about returning?
Can only hope that they will all go to Hardt and say "We'll be back if Mooney is gone."

Notable answer by Jake to the question about coming back next year. He says that 'Himself and 2 other seniors were very disappointed how the season played out'. Would one interpret the statement that 3 of them are thinking about returning?
Serious question: what is going to happen differently next year even if some of the seniors come back? Are they betting on more depth to get them over the hump? I'd argue that while it was a factor, it wasn't the primary reason behind the poor showing. [Of note, I get that we likely won't have multiple COVID pauses in '21-22.]

#FMM. Blame #FMM. Blame the billboard guys because they apparently cared.
I'm not blaming them for caring. you care. you post your thoughts on a message board. maybe you write the AD. maybe you withhold donations. maybe more things.
but you don't put up a public display which in my opinion served to draw up more support for the coach than he had without it.

Reactions: plydogg
A few things i found interesting from postgame presser.

Noah's tweet on Mooney's comment didn't tell whole story. It was a legitimate question but Mooney clearly didn't like it. He said "I'm not sure yet Noah, thanks." Very curt.

Gilyard says they didn't match Duq's intensity, Mooney says left everything out there. There is a disconnect here. But we haven't played with enough intensity most of season imo. You can't match a team's intensity in a 1 & done game is saying something.

Mooney also mentioned how the last few minutes they just didn't make baskets...umm, it was 10.

I didn’t see it, but read that Golden was going ballistic on the bench. Any idea what that was about?

Did anyone find out what Grant was so animated about on the bench? I got the feeling it was something between him and Mooney.

ADVERTISEMENT