ADVERTISEMENT

Richmond 38 Howard 14 - Spiders Rushing Attack

mojo-spider

Team Manager
Gold Member
Dec 31, 2010

the rushing component of our offense surprised me...it didn't seem like 226 yards and 6.5 ave. per carry, but we got it done without any fumbles...I'm glad Mancuso got his 50 and the TD, but unless you're like a Lamar Jackson I don't think it's a really good long term idea for your QB to be your leading rusher...

I was impressed by Jerry Garcia...he seemed like the quickest UR RB by far...I hope we'll see much more of him in the games ahead...

the quick hitters and jet sweeps seemed most effective against Howard, but the inside runs on which the back seemed to be waiting for a hole to open looked like slow motion...too often very little happened and Howard was able to stuff the play...it didn't seem clear to me that we were able to get a consistent inside push against Howard...

I'll gladly take the rushing yardage and TDs we got yesterday in every game, but would like to see them compiled in a well balanced way...

Go Spiders!

Reactions: 32counter
Garcia Jr got to the hole and 2nd level very quickly.Do we have an unused offensive jersey numbered 0-49 for Mr Garcia Jr in lieu of #80?

Not sure whether it’s our offensive running back strategy but we seem to run very deliberately up to our linemen and then slide along the line of scrimmage while looking for a hole.

Last edited:
I would like to see an option run at times and the quick pitch is effective but had two good gains
called back on that play for holding

Against the better CAA defenses we are going to have to run Mancuso unfortunately. We need that extra blocker to supplement when teams stack the box. It’s a good strategy as long as Joe stays healthy.

Garcia provided a great spark. A 5'10" 177 lb. converted WR is a bit small for an every-down back in the CAA.

If you look at Garcia’s bio, he’s a very accomplished rushing back. And he showed why
in his few carries.
Sometimes size doesn’t always matter. Anyone remember Joe Washington or Howard Stevens?

If you look at Garcia’s bio, he’s a very accomplished rushing back. And he showed why
in his few carries.
Sometimes size doesn’t always matter. Anyone remember Joe Washington or Howard Stevens?
Knock on wood. I loved watching him run.
I guess our recent history with smallish RBs has me nervous.

How many posters had to google Jerry? I’m guessing not many based on my not factual in any way estimate of the ages on this board.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT