ADVERTISEMENT

Revival of UR Football

I'm hearing more and more that players can't stand Huesman. Heard it directly from a player even year 1. If your Head Coach has lost even a portion of the players, I'm afraid there's no way they're going to be any more than what they've shown last 3 seasons. Doesn't play a style of FB or recruit to be competitive in CAA. Should have been gone at end of 2018. I truly believe that one of the top tier HS coaches here in Central VA could actually do a whole lot better. And because I love my alma mater, it really pains me to see how far we've fallen in such a short time.

How old is your information and was it from a kid that Rocco brought in?

Which HS coach in CVA could do a better job?We are looking for a DC.

How old is your information and was it from a kid that Rocco brought in?

Which HS coach in CVA could do a better job?We are looking for a DC.
Very recent hearing many were hoping he'd be gone. The Year 1 player I talked to played for Rocco on D and hated Huesman's system.

As for the coach options, opinions from some people who do know CVA HS FB, there are certainly a few blue bloods out there with very long track records of major success. All just opinion of course, but at this point, what would we have to lose?

Very recent hearing many were hoping he'd be gone. The Year 1 player I talked to played for Rocco on D and hated Huesman's system.

As for the coach options, opinions from some people who do know CVA HS FB, there are certainly a few blue bloods out there with very long track records of major success. All just opinion of course, but at this point, what would we have to lose?

Old news.

I guess since basketball team is winning its time for some to go negative on football. This year will speak volumes about whether the right coach is in place. We had an opportunity last year to make playoffs with three games left but lost any shot in the second half at Villanova and then stunk it up against WM. If no playoffs this year with entire squad being his players, coach will be highly scrutinized. I am still on board that he can get it done.

I guess since basketball team is winning its time for some to go negative on football. This year will speak volumes about whether the right coach is in place. We had an opportunity last year to make playoffs with three games left but lost any shot in the second half at Villanova and then stunk it up against WM. If no playoffs this year with entire squad being his players, coach will be highly scrutinized. I am still on board that he can get it done.

Fordham,Yale and WM shoulda been W’s.5-7 shoulda been 8-4 at least,even without a Nova W.

We always seem fragile going into Fall camp.Some key elements get injured.There will be a number of sit outs for Spring ball including Dykes.

Reactions: ChoppinBroccoli
I'm hearing more and more that players can't stand Huesman. Heard it directly from a player even year 1. If your Head Coach has lost even a portion of the players, I'm afraid there's no way they're going to be any more than what they've shown last 3 seasons. Doesn't play a style of FB or recruit to be competitive in CAA. Should have been gone at end of 2018. I truly believe that one of the top tier HS coaches here in Central VA could actually do a whole lot better. And because I love my alma mater, it really pains me to see how far we've fallen in such a short time.
That just doesn’t make sense. He’s never had a problem where he’s been before. If you’re talking to guys that don’t get much, if any playing time then you are being mislead.

I've had a fairly recent conversation with a former player that echoed some of the same sentiments. His criticism was eerily similar to some of the Roccolyte posts on this board from 2018, nearly verbatim in fact. I found myself wondering if this young man was unwittingly doxxing himself. Knowing his playing time history under both coaches, I took it with a grain of salt.

We need to see progress this year - and no more giving away 3 wins. The coaches need to put the players in a position to succeed, and the players have to execute. In all three of those games mentioned, we had opportunities to put them away and the players dropped the ball (sometimes literally).

As for local coaches, I wouldn't mind seeing Greg Lilly and/or Mike Henderson brought into the fold. Then again, they both seem pretty happy, and maybe we want to steer clear of the Marshall Era. :)

Last edited:

Can't people here have a different opinion from you without being labeled negative? Isn't calling others "negative" also a negative comment? It certainly doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy. You yourself admit that you weren't happy with last year. How about the year before that? How about the year before that when Huesman came in with the majority of the team (including an NFL quarterback) back from two straight deep playoff runs? Huesman could have waited a year before changing EVERYTHING. You can enjoy mediocrity if you want, but quit with the name calling just because some of us want more.

Reactions: spiderhawk111
I think sometimes we forget that we didn’t choose RH over DR. DR left us.

I do worry that RH doesn’t appear to get everything out of the team. Kind of feels like Mooney. The strategy particularly on offense is just baffling.

I do worry the rumblings that I’ve heard from players that is not so much RH as it is administration. Granted RH is the face to them. But decisions on things like taking buses to games, availability of equipment, etc is further up the food chain.

Reactions: SpiderRick
As noted by 32 in other threads, it appears the team may be facing potential 14 to 16 hour bus rides to New England on numerous weekends. This along with what appears to be an assistant coach dilemma, on the surface does not appear to be a positive for the future of UR football???? What am I missing?

Last edited:
plenty transfers still available. noticed JMU has added several, including grad transfer Bracey (WR)...Benedictine to Duke to JMU.

As noted by 32 in other threads, it appears the team may be facing potential 14 to 16 hour bus rides to New England on numerous weekends. This along with what appears to be an assistant coach dilemma, on the surface does not appear to be a positive for the future of UR football???? What am I missing?

It is not a 14-to-16 hour bus ride to New England. Perhaps round trip, yes.

When you look at what Russ is doing you see good and bad. If you look at the roster there are only 8 players who have not been redshirted and 5 of them are from last season's freshman class, so he is good at building a roster. Keeping Jeff Durden as his OC is bad. Its almost like he is daring the school to not renew his contract after this season. Whatever his reason for keeping Durden, we have to hope Russ has a tight leash on him. Someone told me we averaged 7 points per game in the second last season. We lead at halftime of most of our games, so he either plays not to lose in the second half, or the DC of our opponents were geniuses at making adjustments and completely fooled him. Probably some of both.

Reactions: urfan1 and Hanca
When you look at what Russ is doing you see good and bad. If you look at the roster there are only 8 players who have not been redshirted and 5 of them are from last season's freshman class, so he is good at building a roster. Keeping Jeff Durden as his OC is bad. Its almost like he is daring the school to not renew his contract after this season. Whatever his reason for keeping Durden, we have to hope Russ has a tight leash on him. Someone told me we averaged 7 points per game in the second last season. We lead at halftime of most of our games, so he either plays not to lose in the second half, or the DC of our opponents were geniuses at making adjustments and completely fooled him. Probably some of both.

Durden is a sleeper agent for JMU.

I suspect that Russ was handcuffed. Fire Durden but no budget to replace him. What do you do? Can’t have an empty desk there. As a school & AD, seems we aren’t committed to the dollars. Rocco May have burned the bridge but he was right to call out the issue

From what I've heard UR already has a coach on staff who would be a great OC, Wes Satterfield, and I heard the boys really like him and respond to him. I mean if we can promote a DB coach who's players are either bad coverage guys, or are trained to run through receivers without turning around to look for the ball, then why not give Satterfield a shot?

Haley writes something positive about UR?

FCS Football: Potential Surprise Teams by Conference

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/fcs-football-potential-surprise-teams-conference-2020

Would seem that we have some pretty big holes to be filled, but definitely good to be identified. If i offensive line can finally hold together, we might be pretty formidable in the run game this year with Joe and several of the younger guys that he can hand the ball off to.

My biggest concern is on the defensive side of the ball. Where are we going to find some sacks?

Fordham,Yale and WM shoulda been W’s.5-7 shoulda been 8-4 at least,even without a Nova W.

We always seem fragile going into Fall camp.Some key elements get injured.There will be a number of sit outs for Spring ball including Dykes.

We really do always seem to be depleted at OL and RB in particular before Fall camp even starts. I know we are thin with depth to begin with in FCS but it seems like we never have a full healthy squad to start a season. I really hope the OL can be improved in the run game but I'm not holding my breath...I've been hoping for several years and we still can't push people off the ball especially in short yardage and goal line situations and we continue to recruit and trot out smaller RB's. Maybe this will be the year.

I don’t know if anyone on here remembers but I predicted that when Coach Rocco left we would fall into a hole we wouldn’t be able to get out of. Almost four full years later it looks like I was right. The damage done by that whole fiasco in my opinion is irreversible and we may never get back to the point where we were with Rocco. Don’t wanna be too much of a pessimist but that’s where I have been with our program since Rocco decided to move on. I am still on his side with what happened and think it showed the issues that we have between the school and athletics. Huesman is in way over his head.

Reactions: Hanca
I don’t know if anyone on here remembers but I predicted that when Coach Rocco left we would fall into a hole we wouldn’t be able to get out of. Almost four full years later it looks like I was right. The damage done by that whole fiasco in my opinion is irreversible and we may never get back to the point where we were with Rocco. Don’t wanna be too much of a pessimist but that’s where I have been with our program since Rocco decided to move on. I am still on his side with what happened and think it showed the issues that we have between the school and athletics. Huesman is in way over his head.

Rocco appears way over his head at Delaware.Lots of rumblings in New-Ark.

Rocco appears way over his head at Delaware.Lots of rumblings in New-Ark.
Ya not looking good for him I have to say. I thought he would have them as a national title contender by his 4th year but instead they are right about where they were when he was hired. Not really any reason he can’t succeed there with the facilities, support, and lower admissions requirements. Don’t know why he isn’t having success there but he needs to figure it out soon. Hell I’d always take him back over Huesman if he loses the delaware job.

Ya not looking good for him I have to say. I thought he would have them as a national title contender by his 4th year but instead they are right about where they were when he was hired. Not really any reason he can’t succeed there with the facilities, support, and lower admissions requirements. Don’t know why he isn’t having success there but he needs to figure it out soon. Hell I’d always take him back over Huesman if he loses the delaware job.

Forget it he ain’t ever coming back to UR.The UD facilities are 2nd rate to ours.The campus is 4th rate to ours.You can gain admittance to UD by printing your name on a dotted line.3rd rate academic standards.He has lost assistants that could recruit.Nova has stepped up and so has Monmouth with Kevin Callahan.Princeton’s program and academics are top notch and they have excellent recruiters.He was hoping to get the Temple job with a 5 year money buyout.Didn't happen.He’s in the Twilight of Coaching 1AA.Same could be said for Mike London.

Last edited:
Regarding our facilities and watching the trend at UR over the past 10 years, we’ve spent a lot of money on a lot of our sports. Especially, with the Quealy Center for basketball, New field hockey, lacrosse, golf ,etc., upgrades, our next move will be for a practice facility that can be used by football, lacrosse and other field sports.
Obviously, this nightmare we all are living through is a pediment, but it won’t always be. I only see our facilities becoming some of the best for a university of our size, anywhere in the nation.

Reactions: 32counter
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT