ADVERTISEMENT

Revival of UR Football

9Legs

Assistant Coach
Mar 4, 2005
Any thoughts on what "One of the Best Managed Universities" is going to do to revive UR football?
(Mr(s) Hardt,Hale and Crutcher) or are we just part of a national trend?
Some of the ongoing issues as I see them other than team quality include(many discussed before)

1) Is the UR committed to CAA or Patriot League level-admission policies ?
2) Game day atmosphere - Half time entertainment?- has to be more festive? K-9 patrols and obvious police presence necessary for bunch old guys?
3) Attendance(Alumni, Student and non Alumni engagement??) My era has had problems scheduling special get-togethers(access to lots, time of access)
4) Fan amenities and accommodations- parking, traffic flow, alumni group get-togethers, half time exit and reentry, ability to bring in unopened bottles of water( Wrigley Field does this but not UR),
handling special requests?.
5) Ticket Prices ( children's tickets?) and concession prices?
6) In my opinion , we have too many administrators trying to justify their existence that they complicate the game day experience.
7)RMC? Who from the admin sets the rules for them to enforce?
8) What did I miss?

What they are currently doing is not working! There appears to be very little incentive for people to want to attend.

I think we should look south - if we could nab the kid leaving Florida that would really help

One thing they need to do is sell beer/wine at the games. It is a great revenue stream. Every away team we played this season served at least beer, and some wine, and the games were fantastic! Example: Villanova - 16 ounce Miller Lite can, $7. They got the case for $20 and they are making $120+ off of each case. Could subsidize Queally money...

I've also said it before - fire Durden and promote Satterfield to OC. I know we cannot fire him now, but hopefully after signing day the axe falls...

Reactions: DTSpider
To answer No. 1, we are committed to UR-level admission policies, as always. We are never going to have comparable admission standards to any of the public schools in our league, save W&M, and I expect it's much harder to get into UR than Fordham. Villanova's probably a wash.

As for No. 4, I have been to a ton of college football games, at numerous venues. Parking, access and egress at UR are as easy or easier than any venue I've been to.

As to No. 5, the ticket prices and concession prices are very, very affordable. I think a 20-ounce Coke was $2 or $3 the last game I went to. That is a steal in comparison to other venues I've been to.

As for the rest, I have no idea. I've been to three Homecoming games since 2011 and have never had any problems at all, with anything, other than us losing in 2011 and 2018.

W-I-N and thou shall show up
that sounds good , now for the hard part , how can we win? and i am curious if things dont turn around with russ throw out a name that might be a good fit , i said bobby wilder , that was not very popular, i have no doubt our team plays hard it just looks like there not as fired up as the other teams is that just me seeing that? does it reflect the coaching staff?

that sounds good , now for the hard part , how can we win? and i am curious if things dont turn around with russ throw out a name that might be a good fit , i said bobby wilder , that was not very popular, i have no doubt our team plays hard it just looks like there not as fired up as the other teams is that just me seeing that? does it reflect the coaching staff?

If Russ doesn’t fix either with Jonnie’s and Joe’s and/or position coaches
he won’t make the contract renewal cut.It’s a belief that next year is a fish or cut bait year for him.The overall record has been less than mediocre.

One thing they need to do is sell beer/wine at the games. It is a great revenue stream. Every away team we played this season served at least beer, and some wine, and the games were fantastic! Example: Villanova - 16 ounce Miller Lite can, $7. They got the case for $20 and they are making $120+ off of each case. Could subsidize Queally money...

I've also said it before - fire Durden and promote Satterfield to OC. I know we cannot fire him now, but hopefully after signing day the axe falls...

Agreed, at Wake Forest - BB&T Stadium they sell beer, wine and other choices through out the stadium. At UVA Scott Stadium they use the beer garden approach, you have to drink in the garden area..

Excerpt from Hardt letter-

Fall & Winter Sports 

“Football continued to make positive progress this year under head coach Russ Huesman. The Spiders picked up three wins over nationally ranked opponents, including a pair of those coming on the road. The future is bright for the Spiders. The entire offensive line returns next year and the defense will be headlined by All-Conference performers in Tristan Wheeler, Tyler Dressler and Kobie Turner.”

Last edited:
I guess 5-7 is better than 4-7, so that could be construed as being positive progress...

I guess 5-7 is better than 4-7, so that could be construed as being positive progress...
Considering 1 of those wins was against a non scholarship football program that no longer exists, in terms of wins and losses there was virtually no improvement.

That’s Hardt’s quote which you excerpted.Sounds like you might have been good at incorrectly plagiarizing even the footnotes from the research papers which your Mana wrote for you.
That's what I'm saying, tough guy. Hardt copied and pasted that quote. We've seen it in many of his prior update letters.

Besides, your mama wrote my research papers.

Last edited:
Reactions: 32counter
That’s Hardt’s quote which you excerpted.Sounds like you might have been good at incorrectly plagiarizing even the footnotes from the research papers which your Mana wrote for you.
your a smart guy , please cut out the mother remarks , moms should be off limits please

Reactions: SpiderRick
May be mistaken but it would seem that WR Keyston Fuller is eligible for a 6th year of eligibility at UR if both UR and he mutually agree.

Huesman is over his head in the CAA. Plus it’s hard to recruit with higher admissions standards.
I believe that this was one of the things Rocco wanted, lower standards for football players. That and a dedicated football facility.
Most likely UR said no to both; hence his ill-timed remarks about UR’s lack of commitment to football.
I suggested to Hardt that perhaps we should join the Patriot League to compete with schools similar to our own: small, private and academic.
His reply was a letter praising UR athletics.

Huesman is over his head in the CAA. Plus it’s hard to recruit with higher admissions standards.
I believe that this was one of the things Rocco wanted, lower standards for football players. That and a dedicated football facility.
Most likely UR said no to both; hence his ill-timed remarks about UR’s lack of commitment to football.
I suggested to Hardt that perhaps we should join the Patriot League to compete with schools similar to our own: small, private and academic.
Dare to be different. Screw the Patriot League and Rocco. He was 5 and 7 at Delaware, where they have a vision. Good for Hardt, best thing I've heard come out of his office.

May be mistaken but it would seem that WR Keyston Fuller is eligible for a 6th year of eligibility at UR if both UR and he mutually agree.
That would be a nice thing to have happen, if he wanted to play another year, I would guess he would surely be welcomed. I am not sure of the rule or my memory, but if I remember correctly Sherman Logan when he played a sixth year, was injured during his true freshman year. I do not know if that has anything to do with 6th year eligibility or not. Again, I am not sure of the rule about which year the injury occured or if the year even matters.

Reactions: urfan1
That would be a nice thing to have happen, if he wanted to play another year, I would guess he would surely be welcomed. I am not sure of the rule or my memory, but if I remember correctly Sherman Logan when he played a sixth year, was injured during his true freshman year. I do not know if that has anything to do with 6th year eligibility or not. Again, I am not sure of the rule about which year the injury occured or if the year even matters.

• Named Third Team All-Colonial Athletic Association.
  • Started all 12 games for the Spiders.
Career at Duke
Lettered two seasons (2017-18) ... Played in 26 career games, caught seven passes for 32 yards (4.57) … on the field for 271 snaps.

2018 (Redshirt Junior)
Played in all 13 games … Caught two passes for 15 yards (7.50), making an eight-year reception against N.C. State and a seven-yard grab at Miami … On the field for 167 snaps.

2017 (Redshirt Sophomore)
Played in all 13 games ... Tallied five pass receptions for 17 yards (3.40) ... Posted a season highs of three catches and 13 receiving yards against N.C. Central ... On the field for 104 snaps.

2016 (Redshirt Freshman)
Did not see game action while recovering from right knee surgery addressing a tibial plateau fracture suffered on June 16, 2016.

2015 (Freshman)
Did not see game action ... Recipient of the program's Sonny Falcone Iron Duke Award, an honor presented annually to one offensive player, one defensive player and one player in the developmental program for their year-round commitment to strength training and conditioning

Disagree. We have proven we can have higher academic standards than our conference rivals and still be a power in FCS and win national championships. It’s been done at UR in a more difficult FCS with schools like App and GA southern playing FCS football. Plus, Russ is recruiting at a high level. Next year is big for Russ. He needs to take us back to the playoffs. Its his players filling most of the roster.

Last edited:
It seems like we are recruiting good, talented players...our issues are stemming from not having an identity on offense and not being able to consistently make plays... primarily in the running game. I really hope our coaching staff comes out with an organized, well thought out approach on offense this offseason. You could see some moments this year but we weren’t anywhere near consistent enough with that production. You’d like to see some of the young players take ownership of the program so that we don’t come out flat like we did against the Tribe.

Reactions: mojo-spider
Dare to be different. Screw the Patriot League and Rocco. He was 5 and 7 at Delaware, where they have a vision. Good for Hardt, best thing I've heard come out of his office.

A fair question would be...how would Huesman have done with that Delaware team and how would ROCCO have done with ours?

Reactions: spiderhawk111
Kobe Turner All American DL Sophomore Class

https://herosports.com/fcs/football-2019-fcs-sophomore-all-american-teams-ajaj

Turner was the Spiders' lone representative on the Sophomore All-America Teams, earning First Team accolades. Turner was named Third Team All-Conference in his first year as a full-time starter. Taking over for perennial All-Conference selection Andrew Clyde, Turner didn't miss a beat as a disruptive force at defensive tackle. He led all CAA defensive lineman with 71 total tackles on the year, averaging 5.9 tackles per game ranking 33rd in the conference.

Turner was second on the team and ranked sixth in the CAA overall with 7.0 sacks, including six solo sacks. He led the team and finished sixth in the CAA with 14.5 tackles for loss. He had six games with more than 1.0 tackle for loss and posted a career-high 12 tackles against No. 2 James Madison. He recorded a career-high 2.0 sacks against UAlbany this season.

Last edited:
Aaron Dykes All American Frosh KR

https://herosports.com/fcs/football-2019-fcs-freshman-all-american-teams-ajaj

Dykes was named First Team Freshman All-America in his redshirt freshman season. He earned Third Team All-CAA honors as a kickoff returner this year and was one of just three freshmen honored on the All-Conference teams. He becomes the first Spider returner to earn All-Conference honors since Justin Grant picked up second team accolades in 2012.

Dykes finished second in the CAA and eighth in NCAA FCS averaging 27.1 yards per kickoff return this year. He also was tied for the CAA and national lead with two kickoff returns for touchdown this year. He was named the CAA Special Teams and National Special Teams Player of the Week earlier this year when he became the first Spider in program history to have to kickoff returns for touchdowns in the same game against Delaware.

Last edited:
A fair question would be...how would Huesman have done with that Delaware team and how would ROCCO have done with ours?

I don't think the results would be appreciably different for either. Both schools appear to have mid-pack talent and they are getting mid-pack results.

Now that early signing day is past us, any potential coaching changes? Would hope both that we’re making some changes and that we’re able to get on it sooner than later. I appreciate that it seems like we’re bringing in some talented recruits but need them to produce.

I'm hearing more and more that players can't stand Huesman. Heard it directly from a player even year 1. If your Head Coach has lost even a portion of the players, I'm afraid there's no way they're going to be any more than what they've shown last 3 seasons. Doesn't play a style of FB or recruit to be competitive in CAA. Should have been gone at end of 2018. I truly believe that one of the top tier HS coaches here in Central VA could actually do a whole lot better. And because I love my alma mater, it really pains me to see how far we've fallen in such a short time.

ADVERTISEMENT