ADVERTISEMENT

reflections from a weekend on the reservation

tarrantula

Graduate Assistant
Gold Member
May 8, 2003
My wife is a 1965 graduate of the College of William & Mary. She is a very good sport. Me, not so much. For almost 40 years she has cheerfully allowed me to obtain season tickets to our football games and has come along to many Spider games in Richmond and other more far flung places. In return, I agree to take her to Williamsburg for the game on alternate years and to functions involving her college class. This past weekend was the investiture of Robert Gates as the new Chancellor of W&M. I did not consider this a class function and this year argued against any obligation to attend. In the end we took a voteand, of course, I lost by a vote of one to one. The weekend was a thoroughly enjoyable experience. Some comments:

1. Dr. Taylor Reveley, President of William & Mary. I couldn't be prouder of the current Pres. at UR, but let me say that The Tribe has an exceptional fellow, as well. I have heard him speak on other occaisions, but he was at his best this weekend. I think that I would actually pay admission to listen to the man. He has a slow, deliberate speech pattern and a deep, resonate vocal quality. When he began his remarks as Master of Ceremonies, we were lured by his eloquence into epecting a powerful, moving message in the style of a Winston Churchill. What we got was a remarkably clever comic routine in a style that combined the laconic, dryness of a David Letterman with the impish, mischievousness of a Stephen Colbert. The guy's a hoot. Albeit, an extremely bright and learned hoot.

2. Robert Gates. You can find exerpts from his talk on the official W&M web site. It was part nostalgia, part humor, part humility and a big part commentary on the failures of our political system. In short, I would say simply say that I have never heard a better speech. He had a job that by its nature recommended keeping a low profile and I had no previous personal opinion about the man. I came away deeply impressed.

3. The Reservation. We stayed with a friend who is on the faculty at the law school. He took us on a tour of the campus which I expected to be nostalgic for my wife and boring for me. I was amazed. We traveled through what is referred to as "The New Campus"... an area that I would guess is larger than our total campus and full of magnificent, new( likely last 10 years) buildings.

I have a neighbor who is a former member of the Board of Trustees at Tech and he took my wife and I on a tour of the Tech campus before Christmas that left me amazed. I concluded that our legislature had found their favorite ivy covered "Son". Let me tell you that W&M has been treated with equal generosity. A giagantic new business school and a myriad of other new structures have sprung up and there are plans for many more in the near future. The expenditures make sense to me on the theory that insuring the quality of our public universities, insures the interest of modern industry in locating in our Commonwealth.

4. The Social Part. They do it right in Williamsburg. When you go to Homecoming there, you are assured of meeting your classmates. The gathering sites for the Classes that have a certain anniversary are printed out and circulated(Generally, big tents near the stadium on game day and a dinner near the campus on Friday or Saturday night).. The turn out for these events is generous. This was not a "Homecoming" event, but as the Honoree was a member of the Class of '65, all of us were seated together at the program and the dinner. Over the last 40 years, I have socialized with the members of my wife's class at W&M on many occaisions.Usually, semiannual. The numbers are large and the bonds among the group have remained strong.

This is, IMO, a major weakness at our university. A group of my frat brothers have in recent years made an effort to rekindle the friendships that were so strong in the early '60s. On our own, we have organized golf trips and wine and dine events that bring us back together. Other than once a decade events that leave a lot to be desired in atmosphere and imagination, the school has not brought us together. I know that W&M is a state school and many of their alums grew up in Virginia, but the group from Class of '65 are today scattered all over the globe. They come back frequently. The weekend was very pleasant and a reminder that our major rival is a worthy one.
This post was edited on 2/5 9:04 PM by tarrantula

T, don't worry, the potion the indians put in your drinks over the weekend causing you to have illusions of grandeur for the reservation will wear off in a day or so and you'll be back to normal viewing the world through the prism of red and blue! (Just kidding)

I have known Bob Gates for over 50 years going back to my days in Boy Scout Troop #103 in Williamsburg in the early 60's. Bob was one of our assistant scoutmasters and he remained active in scouting through his years at WM until he graduated in '65. He was an eagle scout. Used to play an indian game, steal the bacon, in the basement of the Methodist Church on the corner of DOG street near jockey corner at our regular weekly Monday night meetings and we went on weekend camping trips to various places on the Peninsula including the old Kingsmill property which is where the Kingsmill Resort is located today. Everyone who knew Bob then knew that he was destined for success in some form of leadership position as he exhibited great qualities of leadership and scholarship at that time. No suprise that he would end up with the career that he has had.
This post was edited on 2/5 10:51 PM by 72Spider

T, Wmsbg (with the reservation) is a special place (made more special 57 years ago this weekend at Bell Hospital-you know that location right '72?). It is shocking to see a modern name "Ukrop" on streets and buildings but in reality no surprise. W&M is great school and asset for the Commonwealth...except one Sat each November. Dont forget the Green Leafe on your next visit.
This post was edited on 2/6 7:13 AM by Anachnoid

Dr. Revely's son, Nelson, was at St. Christopher's school with my son. Nelson was an exceptional student, an accomplished runner (XC and track), an Eagle Scout in Troop 400 (as was my son) and is now a Presbyterian Minister who preaches occasionally ay Grace Covenant Church. Obviously, a great family of leaders and achievers.

Yeah, guys. Truth be told, I find all of these folks I have met at Tribe reunions I am charged to attend with my wife to be really good guys and gals. I still put a lot of stock in winning the football game, but when it comes to talking smack and other fun rivalry games, give me a good ole Barney or a Hokie as an adversary anytime.

Oh, and Anach. Many Happy returns. When you get back to Martinsville, I'll take you out to Clarences(the restaurant your daughter awarded five stars) and get you a bananna pudding with a candle on top.

Taylor Reveley's dad, also a Taylor Reveley, was President of Hampden-Sydney when I was there (late 60s). Nice guy, not too dynamic, was a Presbyterian minister. W&M's was/is a very respected attorney.

Fan1, after all the shenanigans downtown last week I found solice in Tom Paxton and Phil Oochs songs on UTube. Made me feel much better.
Of course I still cling to Warren Zevon's anthem of youth, "I'll sleep when I'm dead," at least for now as sleeping seems foreign at times although I haven't mastered Captain Beefheart's result.
Now T, the country swooner with a little Hoboken twist, will probably do a good "Running Block," which may be somewhat autobiographical considering his little tale of Warwick Farmer gals...or the result of a North Court lookdown effect into the blue date waiting room...or.....

A final thought. After spending 35 years in Stuart, Virginia(population 1,000 and a place where most folks think that "ambience" is a vehicle that takes you to the hospital), I would have to say that there is no atmosphere more conducive to comradery than a roadside diner where the jukebox has nothing to offer but country music and the most popular item on the menu is the dollar pitcher of cold beer.

Interesting. You mention Stuart, Va. My grandparents operated a restaurant, actually a small cafe there from the 1930s until my grandfather's retirement in 1964. My grandparents were Tom and Hattie Tuck. I remember places like Alexander's market, the five and dime store, and going with my grandmother and my great aunts to Fairystone Park during the summertime. I remember Dr. Witt, the vet and our family doctor, Dr. Thompson. My grandparents home was next to an old abandoned tudor home on Blue Ridge. Around 1963 that old house was torn down and Moody Funeral Home has built on the lot. My uncle Russell Flippen operated the Ford dealership and another uncle, Cecil Akers ran the Chevrolet dealership. I remember going to Stuart Baptist Church where Mr. Mann was the pastor.
This post was edited on 2/17 8:56 PM by FrontRoyalSpider
This post was edited on 2/17 9:00 PM by FrontRoyalSpider

What an interesting coincidence we have here, Front Royal. I am originally from Front Royal...lived there until I was eight. My Dad's family has lived in the region since the early 1800s. My cousins and I met last fall for a memorial ceremony (for another cousin who had been killed in a car wreck) at the old bridge memorial on the Shenandoah down the road from the high school.

From my 35 years living in Stuart, I know all of the folks that you mentioned above very well, except your grandfather, who was gone before I arrived in 1970. I did know Miss Hattie, a very fine seamstress who lived next door to the Akers. Dr. Whitt was one of my close friends. His son John graduated from UR in the '70s. Cecil Akers is still one of my good friends. His wife and my wife work for the same real estate firm. Cecil's band Sunset Drive, which once included Ricky Flippen and still includes UR grad Warren Rogers, is the back up band for Percy Sledge,Archie Bell and Jerry Butler when those old legends decide to go on the road in the South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia area. They have played back up for those guys at Branson, Missouri the past few summers. Bill Alexander(son of the owner of the super market) was also a UR Grad. Sadly, he passed away about ten years ago. Much too young. Bob Mann, Preacher Mann's son is one of my close friends..I replaced him in the law firm after he left Stuart. Bob and his wife have also moved to Martinsville and live just across the fairway from my wife and myself. I just talked to Cecil and he told me who you are. I had guessed that you might be from the Lynchburg branch of the family. I don't get to Front Royal often, but I would look forward to meeting you and swapping more stories about Stuart. I don't beleive that I have met your Dad, but I have known of him for years.
This post was edited on 2/19 1:43 PM by tarrantula

Having spoken to Cecil Akers, you probably know my real name. I am cautious about putting it on a public forum like this one. If you are interested, you can e-mail me at jrj3rob@centurylink.net Anyway, I graduated from UR in 1976 with a BA in Religion. I was not born here in Front Royal. I was born in Martinsville in 1953. When I was little, up to about age 7, we lived with my grandparents in Stuart. In 1961 we moved to Lynchburg, where my Dad had established his law practice. He practiced law for about 40 years. He passed away in 2002. In 1992 my wife Marienne and I moved here to Front Royal when I took a teaching position at Randolph-Macon Academy. Currently I am with Fauquier Co. Public Schools.
I have been an UR fan ever since jr high days. During football season, Dad and I drove to old City Stadium and saw many Spider football games. In 1971 we went to Orlando and saw Richmond lose to Toledo, something like 3-27. I did watch UR's 49-42 win over Ohio U. on TV. Unfortunately I did not make the trip to our National Championship win over Montana back in 2008. Anyway, if you get a chance, and feel like it, you may contact me via e-mail!

T, my wife, the ever lovely Dr. Courtney, got her PhD from W&M, but she is a Spider through and through. BTW, she was the second or third woman to graduate from the Robins School of Business in 1971.

We are lucky to have great women willing to put up with us.

You're right about that last bit, Rick. I have been getting season tickets to UR games for over 30 years.My wife cheerfully goes along for most of these games. In return, I am obliged to attend Homecoming or the UR game when it is in Williamsburg on an annual basis. I have to admit that my wife's classmates and soriety sisters are a great bunch of people. I have never doubted that I married up. We'll have to meet up at a tailgate someday and let our wives do the "Who do you know" game. Although, we are about a generation older than you guys. The wife was W&M '65.

@FrontRoyalSpider and @tarrantula: I'm sure this is a long-forgotten post, but I just had to write to say that I, too, grew up in Stuart, and Dr. Witt was my grandfather! I ran across this post coincidentally and it made me smile. I am so glad that he has not been forgotten.
Go Spiders!
This post was edited on 1/28 1:40 PM by HooSpider

Small world, HooSpider. As I knew all the Whitts very well, I am sure that we have probably crossed paths. I have belonged to many organizations in my life, but without any doubt, I am most proud of my membership in "The Stuart Garden Club". Seven gentlemen(including your grandfather) who believed in love for their families, their community, their church and the game of poker. I cherish an invitation that was found among the effects of the founder of the organization after his death and recently forwarded to me by his son. It reads as follows:

Gentlemen:

The lark is on the wing, the bloom is on the flower and it is once again time for the Spring Meeting of the Stuart Garden Club. As usual, the meeting will be held in my basement at 1:00 PM on Saturday next. There will be an afternoon business session after which we will adjourn for supper. After supper we will continue the business session until 9:00 PM at which time we shall adjourn so that all may retire in time to arise fresh and accompny their fine spouse to the 11:00 service at the church of their choice.

Please be on time and bring lots of money. No Guns.

Very truly yours,

John D. Hooker, President

The Stuart Garden Club had little to do with horticulture...but around an old faded poker table, a small group of men discussed ways in which they might serve their community while earnestly striving to take as much of the money of their close associates as a nickle, dime, quarter poker game would allow. I was the youngest and am now the only member left. I miss them all very much.

HooSpider...was in Stuart today and ran into your parents and your Uncle John and his wife...they were on their way to Charlotte to be part of Leonard Wood's induction into the Nascar Hall of Fame. Of course I now know which of the family you are. Great to see and visit with those old friends. I see Glenn and Leonard now and then because they still spend time in this area, but had not seen your parents for several years. Saw a picture of Jon and his new baby on facebook recently. I hope that you will convince your folks to come back often.

BillyWayne...that was his Dad. John Hooker was the Circuit Court Judge in our area and one of the finest gentlemen I have had the pleasure to know. That small group of men (all of whom were members of the Stuart Rotary Club) were key players in bringing four plants of the J.P Stevens knitting company from Massechusettes to Stuart...they raised the money to build a hospital which during their time was a model for small hospitals(77 beds). The Garden Club was a quarterly poker game at which many plans for community projects were hatched. All enjoyed college sports and we attended the ACC Basketball Tournament together for many years. I learned yesterday the identity of SpiderHoo as I ran into her parents on a trip to Stuart. They are connected by marriage to the Wood Brothers of Racing fame and were on their way to attend Leonard Wood's induction into the NASCAR Hall of Fame. A very small town and a wonderful place to live.

Cool! I remember Judge Hooker. Johnnie is, I think, in Va Beach. Jay is here in Richmond. At some point, I think it would be neat to organize a SpiderNation.com event so we could all meet one another. I'm sure there are lots of connections that we'd realize we were in the dark about as we all use pseudonyms. Maybe before a football game next fall.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT