ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Tracker

Former target, Riley Abercrombie is in the transfer portal with 2 years left.
Some discussion already in his dedicated thread...hoping to get Fitch in a package deal.

@SFspidur - have you considered keeping track of transfers we reach out to, or is there a thread thats already doing that? I've been trying to find a list of all the guys to keep tabs on but haven't found anything. I know it's different than offering HS kids - figured it couldn't hurt to check.

Quinn seems like a perfect fit for our system, I think he could excel here. Hope we can get him.

@SFspidur - have you considered keeping track of transfers we reach out to, or is there a thread thats already doing that? I've been trying to find a list of all the guys to keep tabs on but haven't found anything. I know it's different than offering HS kids - figured it couldn't hurt to check.
I usually do keep track in the recruiting tracker thread, but I hadn't gotten to it and then I got busy with my National Lampoon's European Vacation. I see you found the transfer portal thread, but I'll also try to add the guys to my list tomorrow.

Please do mention any other names you see, as I'm not as on top of things as I usually am. There will be a lot of activity as always, though how active we will be remains to be seen given we may only have one slot.

I usually do keep track in the recruiting tracker thread, but I hadn't gotten to it and then I got busy with my National Lampoon's European Vacation. I see you found the transfer portal thread, but I'll also try to add the guys to my list tomorrow.

Please do mention any other names you see, as I'm not as on top of things as I usually am. There will be a lot of activity as always, though how active we will be remains to be seen given we may only have one slot.
Will do, and thanks! Definitely a lot to keep track of. We've been pretty active in the portal so far by recent standards, although that's due to the roster makep of the last few years. Also assume we're trying to capitalize on the recent success.

For now, all I've seen is Quinn, Nweke, Wright, & Gholston. All on brand so far.

Last edited:

We need you SF.

OIP.x5Zz1EuC9tNXUmDXY0beZgAAAA

• Haha
Reactions: spiderman
Closing the loop on this one...buddy of Darren Buchanan out of DC, Steph Walker took an unofficial visit to UR last summer, but we never offered. He's heading to Robert Morris.

Reactions: plydogg
Rivals has just updated its ranking for 2023. Our lone commit Trevor Smith didn't make the top 150, but here are the other guys we've offered:

49. Solo Ball (new entrant)
114. Finley Bizjack (down 11)
127. Carter Lang (down 32)
142. Jamie Kaiser (new entrant)
NR. Matt Reed
NR. Thomas Haugh
NR. Horace Simmons

We've also reached out to 2024 Hampton Evans. Spiderdad should know a bit about him, as he's from Dji's school.

Hampton is legit. Thought he would be out of our grasps was on a HM trac early but slowed down a bit bc but he hasn’t improved in some areas. He can shoot it and def would love to have him. Needs to work on putting the ball on the floor. He played with us as an 8th grader in fact hit a crazy 3 to beat TBS team that eventually beat us in the Final 4. Here’s a link for his buzzer beater
He’s #35. Good solid frame, fairly athletic and very good grades and just a great family. Not many highlights here but the buzzer beater. Keep in mind he was 8th grade here. I’m sure there are more recent highlights but I love the buzzer beater 😀

Reactions: plydogg
We've reached out to 2024 Jayden Harris out of Salisbury, NC.

Doesn't look like we've offered Jayden yet (VCU did a day or two ago), but he's taking a three-day swing to visit Tennessee, NC State, and us next week.

“I’m visiting Tennessee Monday (June 27), NC State on Tuesday (June 28), and Richmond on Wednesday (June 29). (I’m looking for) how the practices run, how hard the coaching staff pushes the players, the surroundings of the campus, and how the campus itself looks.”

Seems like an odd pursuit given what we've got lined up already, but we've reached out to 2023 PG Derin Saran...Turkish kid attending Asheville School. Seems to only have lower-level offers so far, but picking up some steam it looks like.

Seems like an odd pursuit given what we've got lined up already, but we've reached out to 2023 PG Derin Saran...Turkish kid attending Asheville School. Seems to only have lower-level offers so far, but picking up some steam it looks like.

Not surprising to me. The college game is dominated by guards now. There are lots of 3 and 4 guard line ups out there. You still want and need a solid big, but you can never have too many solid guards.

I think I'm about ready to say we have too many solid guards.

If it's a Top 150 guy like Bizjack, then sure, I'm willing to use a spot on him. But for a guy who's pulling CAA/Big South offers?

That said, we haven't offered Saran yet.

After Grace and Burton move on next year, we have to have bigger bodies to fill those slots to rebound the ball and defend bigger guys, and we're looking awfully thin right now. Quinn and Bigelow will be in their final seasons, with Walz the only big with any experience behind them. (I'm not counting on Noyes until we hear he's broken 200 pounds.)

Presuming nobody else leaves and so we have two more slots for this class, one absolutely has to be a big, and I would really prefer the other one be at least Burton/Bigelow size unless you can deliver a guard like Bizjack, Ball, or Kaiser (though the ship has already sailed on the latter two it looks like).

We're in a long list of programs that have reached out to 2024 Duane Thompson out of Putnam Science. Bona offered today.
We've got a coach out today watching Putnam Science vs. South Kent. I think Thompson is the only one I've seen from either of those programs that we've been mentioned with, but obviously we could be eyeing any number of guys.

Reactions: gospidersgo
I think I'm about ready to say we have too many solid guards.

If it's a Top 150 guy like Bizjack, then sure, I'm willing to use a spot on him. But for a guy who's pulling CAA/Big South offers?

That said, we haven't offered Saran yet.

After Grace and Burton move on next year, we have to have bigger bodies to fill those slots to rebound the ball and defend bigger guys, and we're looking awfully thin right now. Quinn and Bigelow will be in their final seasons, with Walz the only big with any experience behind them. (I'm not counting on Noyes until we hear he's broken 200 pounds.)

Presuming nobody else leaves and so we have two more slots for this class, one absolutely has to be a big, and I would really prefer the other one be at least Burton/Bigelow size unless you can deliver a guard like Bizjack, Ball, or Kaiser (though the ship has already sailed on the latter two it looks like).
I hear you, but I'm not turning down talented guards if I know they can help us. If it becomes too guard heavy, guys will see the writing on the wall and leave. Then, go get a big in the transfer portal. Or, the following year go get a freshman big or two who will see a path to early playing time.

But, I see your point, and if we have what looks like too many guards, I won't just take any guard. And, sure, focus on a big, but keep recruiting guards because you should never turn down talent.

I don't mind us being in touch with Saran if he's on the rise. If we can steal a terrific guard, by all means, but given our roster balance I would be very hesitant to go after a guy where we're his best offer, should it get to that point.

His offer list is still weak, and even the interest list isn't great...SMU, Miami, Davidson, and maybe Wofford are good company, but it drops off after that.

I don't mind us being in touch with Saran if he's on the rise. If we can steal a terrific guard, by all means, but given our roster balance I would be very hesitant to go after a guy where we're his best offer, should it get to that point.

His offer list is still weak, and even the interest list isn't great...SMU, Miami, Davidson, and maybe Wofford are good company, but it drops off after that.
He still has time to blown up, can’t give up yet.

But, it shouldn't be about offers, even if the roster seems guard heavy. It should be about how much we think he can help us. You shouldn't recruit guys based on the teams who offer him. It should be up to you, not others. I understand recruiting for need as well, but as you can tell, the more guards the better for me.

Agree to disagree. Let's just put it to rest until/unless an offer appears.

Sure. No problem. Thought we were just having a friendly discussion on a message board. All good. No worries.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT