ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Ummmm, Coach Cosh, no noted improvement in short yardage game so can

Anachnid

Rookie
Dec 31, 2021
We put the QB under center? How about adding Beau English in the backfield as a FB with an RB? Then the choices expand and you can affect the D to have to cover
1 A Qb sneak
2. Quick slant in or out pass either side
3. Beau belly left or right
4 Beau lead RB left or right

just a suggestion. After watching two weeks of what has gotten to be read option Os, I’m am overall pleased with our NOT read option O.

We put the QB under center? How about adding Beau English in the backfield as a FB with an RB? Then the choices expand and you can affect the D to have to cover
1 A Qb sneak
2. Quick slant in or out pass either side
3. Beau belly left or right
4 Beau lead RB left or right

just a suggestion. After watching two weeks of what has gotten to be read option Os, I’m am overall pleased with our NOT read option O.

We certainly could improve our short yardage offense but geez, this is soooo much better than what Durden put out there. Give young Cosh a chance.

Wildcat on some short yardage situations is the answer to get an additional blocker in the run game plus the option to pass. Defenses are not accounting for the QB in the run game, which gives the defense the numerical advantage.

We put the QB under center?
Absolutely.

Waay too many scoring opportunities snuffed by inability to pick up a single yard on 3rd and/or 4th down in both games. If Spiders wanna play post season, its gotta stop.

The tenor on the board would be quite different, if we had success there. UVA game could have been a nail biter and St Francis, despite their admirable play with only 45 scholarships, Spiders would have covered the sizable spread.

Udinski at 6 4/200 behind center Ella at 6 3/296, guards Salyers at 6 4/325, Gouveia at 6 3/290 and shift in TE Deveney at 6 5/256 (or TE's) should be almost unstoppable with Udinski under center and sneaking.

Quit with the patty cake read BS. Play power football in those situations, see North Dakota State.

Absolutely.

Waay too many scoring opportunities snuffed by inability to pick up a single yard on 3rd and/or 4th down in both games. If Spiders wanna play post season, its gotta stop.

The tenor on the board would be quite different, if we had success there. UVA game could have been a nail biter and St Francis, despite their admirable play with only 45 scholarships, Spiders would have covered the sizable spread.

Udinski at 6 4/200 behind center Ella at 6 3/296, guards Salyers at 6 4/325, Gouveia at 6 3/290 and shift in TE Deveney at 6 5/256 (or TE's) should be almost unstoppable with Udinski under center and sneaking.

Quit with the patty cake read BS. Play power football in those situations, see North Dakota State.
Agree but it won't happen.

We don't have a power back like Hightower Vaughan, or Gaskins, all NFLers. How about putting the tight end with the best hands in the backfield?
We sure don't use them for anything else...

We don't have a power back like Hightower Vaughan, or Gaskins, all NFLers. How about putting the tight end with the best hands in the backfield?
We sure don't use them for anything else...
I have emailed and spoken to Russ for 3 years on this very point. he is set in his ways with a stubborn attitude

How does any coach watch the NFL and not see the value of tight ends. It just amazes me.

Absolutely.

Still think if I need one yard I am giving the ball to Braxton Hughes at least once. I know he is the FG holder and they may not want to take a chance with him, but he is listed at 222.

• Notched a season-long 21-yard run in a match up vs. James Madison University (Oct. 16).
  • Played in seven games, finished the season with 33 rushing yards on four carries.
Yes these yards were in mop up last year, but he is averaging 8.3 yards per carry for his career. Let him practice taking snaps from under center a little bit and see if the defense can get him on the ground.

Just a thought.

How does any coach watch the NFL and not see the value of tight ends. It just amazes me.
Why don't we throw to the tight ends? I asked Durden this question five years ago - and he said he would start doing it that year. We're still not doing it. What defensive back wants to tackle a 6'5" 256 lb. tight end multiple times per game? We could throw nine times to a tight end - and some wide receiver is going to eventually blow by the DB, who by now is worn out.

Why don't we throw to the tight ends? I asked Durden this question five years ago - and he said he would start doing it that year. We're still not doing it. What defensive back wants to tackle a 6'5" 256 lb. tight end multiple times per game? We could throw nine times to a tight end - and some wide receiver is going to eventually blow by the DB, who by now is worn out.
Check out Kyle Wickersham running with ball as Louisiana HS QB.Runs like a fullback.Tough to bring down.Looks durable.

Reactions: urfan1
watched the video. can you imagine kyle under center with 2 TE's in the backfield for a jumbo short yardage package? Russ can't, and it will be his achilles heel. finding another quality job at 62/63; or just fix the damn problem,

Reactions: Under Center
Huesman doesn’t trust his TEs. I heard #84 is out due to an injury. He’s got some great TEs and needs to use them to his advantage. #83 runs great routes and #86 is an excellent blocker. Too bad he doesn’t see more action. I’ve been saying it for years on here, teams aren’t successful if they don’t use the TE threat. When you pass to a TE it keeps the defense on their toes. Keeps them guessing.

I don’t think we can expect Russ to “fix” anything on the offensive side of the ball. It’s not his background and we hired him because he was the defensive coordinator during our best era of football, a safe hire, and a nice man. He’s never been known as an offensive innovator and he was always going to be reliant on his offensive coordinator hire. To me his hiring was more of a failing of the administration than Russ. I’m not sure you can expect a defensive centric head coach to be wildly successful in today’s era of football. You’ve got to be creative and aggressive on offense and have an organized system. We’ve been a hodgepodge on offense since Huesman has been here. I hope for the next hire we look at a young offensive mind…a Chip Kelly at UNH type move. No more safe hires.

Will Healy might be available after this season. He'd be a safe hire, and a good one, I think. Or just promote Cosh.

I do not see much that needs fixing as far as the passing game.
79+% completion percentage with the ball being distributed to 4 great WRs, 2 RBs that are catching many passes and a TE with 2 TDs already.
307 yards per game passing and 428 yards per game of total offense.

Just my opinion and I am not saying I am right, but team is nationally ranked in the top 25 in most polls and just lost their first game of the last 8 FCS games to a nationally ranked conference mate in double OT.
Can it go sour? sure can, the Spiders still have games against two more conference mates in Delaware and W&M that are and will likely stay nationally ranked, not to mention Nova who some say is down this year, yet they have scored 42 points in a conference loss and 45 points in a conference win. Still have UNH at home who has not lost in conference yet, though 3 of their wins come against teams that are a combined 0-9 in conference, they have still won them all.

All that said, I do not see the need to be on a coach search just yet, but that is just me.

Avoid the rush and start the coach search now. Agree Russ is not an offensive mastermind but both Cosh and he should recognize and solve short yardage problem. Do something different-whether bigger backfield, QB under center or use of tight ends, but, please something new.

Reactions: Under Center
I do not see much that needs fixing as far as the passing game.
79+% completion percentage with the ball being distributed to 4 great WRs, 2 RBs that are catching many passes and a TE with 2 TDs already.
307 yards per game passing and 428 yards per game of total offense.

Just my opinion and I am not saying I am right, but team is nationally ranked in the top 25 in most polls and just lost their first game of the last 8 FCS games to a nationally ranked conference mate in double OT.
Can it go sour? sure can, the Spiders still have games against two more conference mates in Delaware and W&M that are and will likely stay nationally ranked, not to mention Nova who some say is down this year, yet they have scored 42 points in a conference loss and 45 points in a conference win. Still have UNH at home who has not lost in conference yet, though 3 of their wins come against teams that are a combined 0-9 in conference, they have still won them all.

All that said, I do not see the need to be on a coach search just yet, but that is just me.

Just yet?? Huesman has won 18 games in 4 1/2 years with one winning season (barely). And the one game that we "just lost" was virtually given away by the coach.
Rocco won 43 games in 5 years with two 10 win seasons (3 FCS playoffs and a 8-3 year that we somehow weren't selected) and NO losing seasons. And many of you celebrated his leaving.

Just yet?? Huesman has won 18 games in 4 1/2 years with one winning season (barely). And the one game that we "just lost" was virtually given away by the coach.
Rocco won 43 games in 5 years with two 10 win seasons (3 FCS playoffs and a 8-3 year that we somehow weren't selected) and NO losing seasons. And many of you celebrated his leaving.
interesting, I didn't see the coach miss 3 field goals, give up a 74 yard bomb on the first play of the game, and couldn't get a stop in the 4th!. This board is so predictable---always the coach's fault...never the players....

interesting, I didn't see the coach miss 3 field goals, give up a 74 yard bomb on the first play of the game, and couldn't get a stop in the 4th!. This board is so predictable---always the coach's fault...never the players....
We’ve had different players over the past 4.5 years but the coach, and the (lack of) results, have remained the same. It’s the coach’s job to correct issues, develop young players, and put players in position to be successful through scheme and technique. When is the last time you felt like we had a schematic advantage due to Russ’s coaching? Does he even have an offensive scheme that you can describe? I guess we will continue to hope that we will get lucky and have players who can overcome our coaching.

how about some offensive/defensive bonding and teamwork to solve this short yardage, goal line problem?

had to dig back into the archives to find this and the video is poor, but the PA announcer makes the result clear...

of course it does help to have Martin Parker, Eric McBride and Kendall Gaskins in the backfield!

Go Spiders!

Bad coaching decisions are never the players fault. Period.

Bad coaching decisions are never the players fault. Period.
bad plays by the players aren't the coaches fault either. Period. RH went for the kill. It didn't work out. I am not saying it was perfectly called game-he probably was trying to serve to masters-kill the clock/Elon Timeouts and go for it on 4th down.

That being said, At the end of regulation, the "coaches" called a perfect 2 minute drill to put the ball in the middle of the field for a 42 yard field by a kicker who, going into this season, was hitting FGs at a 77% clip. He missed it. Maybe we should have a string so the keyboard "experts" can use their vast experience as youth football coaches, to analyze why the kicker is suddenly hitting at a 50% clip?

Reactions: Spiderwiz
Actually a player’s performance can be directly tied to coaching. A toxic environment can cause players to underperform. The best coaches know how to bring the best out of their players.

Kid piped both field goals - not a wobbly nuckler from rocky top. The reaction after he nailed the second one was classic.

What a exciting time to be in the mix again competing at the top. One spread play call at the 3 yard line to be at the top undefeated in CAA play. On to Hampton to celebrate the origination of MOO DA CHAINS and being in the mix for first place in the CAA 🕷🕸

Last edited:
The Elon game really hurts. No excuse not to have fixed the short yardage failures.

not sure the short yardage problem is solved yet, but we tried one of the most fundamental plays in football with some success Saturday...see amateur video...

ha! did one of you get through to the coaching staff?

Go Spiders!

We have all had some frustrations with the coaching staff mainly due to the last 3 minutes of the Elon game. Other than that, this team does reflect solid coaching based on in-game adjustments, minimal turnovers and very few penalties. Weekly overall improvement is also evident. If we finish at Elon we are Top 10 at this point. We did not but still have plenty of chances to get there moving forward if we take care of business.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT