ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Things Change - Watching Olympic Swimming Trials

Anachnoid

Graduate Assistant
May 10, 2003
Would I have been faster?

Starting blocks slanted and now with a track starting block on top to boot-we were originally taught to curl both feets toes over edge

Hop start on relays-relay start judges used to put a hand on the block touching the outside of the foot and looking down at the swimmer touching the wall.

backstroke-we were allowed at one time to do flying starts; ie stand completely out of the water curled around the block and diving backward; then we had to have body part in the water

-forward flip turn without touching the wall with your hand

Breastroke-the best; allowing the dolphin kick off the start and finish-that was one we used to do in practice that would lead to extra laps from the coach and if in a meet a dq.

Breastroke turn-can now dip shoulder into the turn, used to have to keep shoulders horizontal with water surface until hands touched.

and of course the suits...

Slip into one of those new suits and give it a try...
smile.r191677.gif

It's actually been interesting watching the suit tech advance to ridiculous levels and then having to backtrack on it a few years ago. World records have been sparse the past few years as human ability works to make up the gap left by the suit retreat.

I was watching some of the semifinal trials last night--do our two swimmers have any chance with their last 2 events to make it to the last 16 and get on TV--especially with a spider swimming cap?! ;) I saw several schools represented last night.

I am still convinced that the track start even with the new starting block is still not as good as a great two-footed flat start.

IMO, the two footed start has the 2 extreme results and the track start is more in the middle with less variation. Therefore if you can perfect the two footed start you will have the quickest 15M time coming off the blocks.

The track start helps create a quicker reaction but doesn't have the force and makes it a little tougher to get the right pike and angle into the water. The start was something that I used to do very well. The key for me was I used to walk on my toes as a young kid (my son does this now and it drives me crazy). But I built up very strong calves and great balance from it. When I did my start I put all of the weight on the front of my feet and toes to help with my reaction and still get the force off the blocks. This si how I teach kids to do it today and I think this is still superior to a track start.

As for the breaststroke, there are some crazy kicks out there. one friend/foe of mine, Michael Norment, was one of the first to push the envelope with with butterfly kick as part of his stroke. He was one of my best swimming friends growing up even though he same out of a different state/area (PDR out of Philly). His kick was barely legal and awesome. He was a all-American at UGA and national team member for many years.

My stroke was similar but not quite as extreme as his. But he and I used to push the envelope on our turns. We worked together on that when we swam at the same travel meets. I never got DQ at any meetings including nationals but I'm sure I was pretty close. It definitely gave me a huge advantage coming off the wall. Funny thing is as strong as my turn was I always preferred long course to short course and my times were much better in LC. The big difference for me was my stroke was geared toward tempo and even if I was quick in and out of the wall I could never get into the right tempo in SC. I just never took enough strokes in SC to really get going.

I think Lauren's 100 back yesterday was our best shot to get into semis. She placed 41st, which isn't bad out of 160-some when it's even so hard to make it there in the first place. And that's her stronger event, so I imagine she'll be down a bit further in the 200.

Mali placed 95th out of 113 in the 200 IM today.

Oh no another breastroker; SF and Vol - brstrkers one notch above divers. When I was 8 years old I learned the meaning of atrocious as that is how my coach described my breastroke. I went home and asked my parents the meaning of the word. Its been fun to watch the trials at night. Wish there was less commentary about favored swimmers.

I'm with you on the start. I think the two feet front with a windup gets you way over the water. Yes reaction is slower but you can still extend the up angle to rocket down into the pool for a distance underwater. We had a brstr on our age group team who only shaved the outside of his legs-more resistance on the back kick, right? Strange, yes, the look matched his personality.

My UR roomate was a brstr and a consummate southerner. After a prelim swim at states as a frosh in which he did not perform well, he returned to the bench. Norris looked at him and may have asked "what happened." He responded in his southern passive tone that "my suit was too tight, I couldnt get any air to my......" Well, Norris said nothing but our diving Coach Richard Tobin got all over him. So then my roomate sat down beside me seemingly unfazed and offered an explanation for Coach T's reaction, "I guess he got upset because his name is ........"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT