ADVERTISEMENT

Rams of Rhody have Covid outbreak

"Mooney attributed Richmond's surprising 67-12 home loss to Bucknell to a COVID outbreak that caused Rhode Island to cancel its game earlier in the week.

'Really tough for our guys to concentrate and compete the way we practice when they knew that fellow competitors in the A10 were suffering,'" said Mooney, probably.

Are there still active rules regarding this? Or are teams just making their own call on how to handle it?

I think if you are like a 15 point underdog and one player sneezes you invoke the shutdown. If next opponent is a winnable game you all test negative in a couple days.
Coming from someone who is 2 wks out from my first covid experience, the right thing to do is to bow out if the team has a covid outbreak....highly unlikely it will kill any of these kids but would be really tough to play with symptoms so you'd probably pencil in losses for all games while kids have symptoms ..just my 2 cents...also would be very uncool to pass it on to another team for the same reason.....COVID is still real but I think we r a lot smarter about it now than we were previously....

Sorry to hear that bullfrog, hope you recover completely.

But the questions raised above are valid. Does each team/school/conference make up their own rules? It seems like there should be some standard somewhere.

Sorry to hear that bullfrog, hope you recover completely.

But the questions raised above are valid. Does each team/school/conference make up their own rules? It seems like there should be some standard somewhere.
All good! Fortunately I will be able to attend the Bucknell game and hoping we right the ship..

Don't sit beside me! My grandsons have just gotten over it. I've had it once and don't want it again. But seriously glad you are recovered bullfrog...................

I would expect to see more of this as league play starts. I think the question is now - how often do these kids get tested? I assume now its only if they feel sick, but I could see some times - if a kid feels sick, not testing and letting him play through it or saying its a cold or flu. Whereas other teams might test the sick player and rest of the team. So wondering what consistency is out there between schools.

I don't know of any rules, but would think that if you had a player test positive, that this may prompt the team or other players to test as well and if multiple players pop a positive you have these situations.

I do think we have migrated past the intensive rules around Covid with an understanding that Covid is hear to stay but obviously with vaccines, and widespread prior exposure of the population, that we are in a much different place now than we were even last year.

I mean if you have a significant part of your team sick and unable to play, I don't really see how you could play. I get with Covid the players may test positive and not be sick but with quarentine rules as they are, I don't see away around it. Do you think the other team would be happy if you played in a game, knowing that a bunch of kids tested positive for Covid.

Reactions: urfan1
Young, healthy athletes have next to zero to fear from Covid. Not to say contracting it with few if any symptoms, then visiting Grandma and Grandpa over the holidays wouldn't be problematic. Then again, if Grannie and Pops are healthy and vaccinated, not much to fear there either.

Use commonsense as with any other communicable illness. Less fearful of the pandemic than the pandemonium over the pandemic.

This doesn't feel like the same amount of overcautiousness (and this is coming from someone who gladly masked up and willingly took vaccines and boosters) from a sports perspective.

This just seems like individual cases of teams with a significant outbreak of a sickness that is going to decimate your team for a week, and cancelling the games from that affected week. I don't see anything about post-sickness quarantining or anything like that creating a 3-4 week pause, which we had before. It'll be a relative blip.

Reactions: plydogg
Young, healthy athletes have next to zero to fear from Covid. Not to say contracting it with few if any symptoms, then visiting Grandma and Grandpa over the holidays wouldn't be problematic. Then again, if Grannie and Pops are healthy and vaccinated, not much to fear there either.

Use commonsense as with any other communicable illness. Less fearful of the pandemic than the pandemonium over the pandemic.
I think the issue is the interaction these kids have with others. And knowing that the current strands of the virus are more transmissible than before. So if the basketball teams were isolated and only in contact with their coaches and teammates - then yes, zero to fear.

But when these kids interact with others on campus, in the community, fans, families when they return home - it just opens up too much possibilities.

I think we will probably see a few more of these, especially with return from Christmas break, then likely should normalize again by the end of January.

Reactions: Spiders4ever
It sucks that this is still happening in 2022, soon to be 2023. But this is also not the same situation we had in 2020 or last year. A few games will probably be cancelled/postponed if a team has an outbreak, but college basketball will go on largely unaffected and that is a great thing for not just basketball but life in general.

Spider women's game on Sunday is off due to issues in Davidson's program, and they're not going to reschedule it. Davidson's game against La Salle last night was also canceled.

Spider women's game on Sunday is off due to issues in Davidson's program, and they're not going to reschedule it. Davidson's game against La Salle last night was also canceled.

Has it been an outbreak only for the Davidson Women's team? No change for the Men's team tomorrow or Wednesday yet?

Nothing's been said about their men's team. Game at VCU is at noon tomorrow.

Davidson press release said it was agreed upon before the season that games wouldn't be rescheduled...they'd just be no-contests and the A-10 tournament will be seeded by winning percentage. I guess people are the sick of the hassle of trying to squeeze the games in.

I don't know if men's hoops has the same arrangement.

I don't know if men's hoops has the same arrangement.

Idk either but have to think it does not. $$, profiles, just the men v women disparity. Still not a lot room to squeeze in makeups but they'd try I bet.

Idk either but have to think it does not. $$, profiles, just the men v women disparity. Still not a lot room to squeeze in makeups but they'd try I bet.
Agreed. There is TV $$$ and contracts for men's game, so I would think it would be a different protocol for men's games.

UConn women just cancelled their game. No missing players due to CoVid, all just due to injuries. Insane.

First of all, they should be able to play with 6 players. Secondly, postponing the game doesn't seem fair to their opponent. What if DePaul is healthy now, but has a couple injuries when the game is rescheduled?

If the rule, as silly as it is, is 7 players, UCONN should be forced to have tryouts to find a 7th player. It is unfair for them to benefit from injuries.

First of all, they should be able to play with 6 players. Secondly, postponing the game doesn't seem fair to their opponent. What if DePaul is healthy now, but has a couple injuries when the game is rescheduled?

If the rule, as silly as it is, is 7 players, UCONN should be forced to have tryouts to find a 7th player. It is unfair for them to benefit from injuries.
Thanks.

Agree. This crap happened all the time in Connecticut high school basketball too when my daughter played. This was prior to covid too. If a team was missing a starter, they would have too many players sick to play. And in the age of texting and snap chat all the kids knew it was a bs move by the coach

Reactions: VT4700
Six injured and six available, but women’s squads are allowed 15 scholarships and I would be surprised if UConn isn’t using all of them. I guess three redshirts, and UConn can’t be required to make them play either?

Edit: Scratch that…just checked the roster and there are only 12 on there. What the heck?

Reactions: VT4700
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT