ADVERTISEMENT

Quinn

CarolinaSpider

Graduate Assistant
Gold Member
Nov 27, 2006
Quinn now seems to becoming more aggressive which we need to create double teams
and more open shooters. His footwork is pretty good, but in off season, he really needs
to work on his upper body strength. He needs strong hands like Bigelow to help
him to be be a more effective scorer.

Quinn will be up and down most of the season. Expect him to play 19 minutes most nights. Get us 6-7 points and 3-4 rebounds. Games like this or really his 2nd half performance just make wonder why can’t he play like that all night.

Reactions: mojo-spider
attack rim quicker
All the observations above are spot on. Good footwork but slow to the basket. Hand and upper body strength needs improvement as he gets stripped often as he starts up. Needs to finish strong as he also misses a lot of bunnies. No explosion.

These may have been the thing that led other schools to believe out of HS he was a Patriot league level players.

I am not saying Quinn can't play at the A10 level, he can. But the more I watch and see, the more I tend to believe he may just be a solid role player at this level. His ceiling might be averages of 8 points and 5 rebounds most nights. Some games he will breakout and give us 13-15 points and give us more rebounds, but more and more I begin to wonder if he has a low ceiling at this level.

Quinn is by far the best passer on the team, the offense runs a lot better when he is on the court, even when he is not scoring.

Grace gained some strength and better coordination his last two years
and guarantee a lot of improvement came from the strength coach.

Grace gained some strength and better coordination his last two years
and guarantee a lot of improvement came from the strength coach.
Good point - maybe our strength coach can beef him up and give him a mean streak this off season.

Quinn will be up and down most of the season. Expect him to play 19 minutes most nights. Get us 6-7 points and 3-4 rebounds. Games like this or really his 2nd half performance just make wonder why can’t he play like that all night.
I’m interested to see where his potential develops. We need it. I’ve noticed a pattern so far this year where he had clear shots within 3 feet of the goal and didn’t take the shots. Happened again last night. When the shot is there, just take it.

I actually think Quinn is a great fit for us and will continue to improve. If he was a 7 footer who perfected the things mentioned on this thread he'd probably be playing at Duke or Kentucky.

But he has shown to be a willing and capable passer (we have 6th year Grant as our most recent memory of a big man passer - a guy currently making waves in the G League for his passing ability). Neal is not at Grant's level but I do think as the season has progressed he's gotten better at passing and it is definitely one of his strengths.

I do think he will become a better finisher at the rim too. He seems to be a little hesitant or indecisive or slow to make his move to the basket at times, but he can dunk with relative ease and has solid footwork.

Good point - maybe our strength coach can beef him up and give him a mean streak this off season.
he's a highly skilled, huge, not overly athletic big man who loves to play and plays with emotion. he works hard and he'll continue to get better.

but I don't think you'll ever find a mean streak in there! he's a happy, super-nice kid who can't stop smiling. he's a great teammate.

When I watch Mooney being interviewed about about Quinn, he obviously thinks Quinn can be
better. In gets that little frustrated smile he tends to have when he really wants to say - “the coaches
and I know he can be.”
Yes, Mooney said as much. He wants Quinn to be more aggressive in the paint and they are working to get him comfortable. Seems like everyone wants Quinn to play a bigger role in our offense, he just needs to be more comfortable in our system.

He may as Trap suggests not ever be a huge minute guy (heck, Grant never was either) cause that is not how Mooney uses his big men, but I think he can and will have a much bigger impact on the game than he had early on.

He did play 30 minutes at LaFayette. And Grant averaged about 28 minutes, so I think if he could get to that level 27-28 minutes and be productive, that would be the goal.

Unfortunately - I think for Mooney teams to be successful, you need a good PG (Anderson, Gilyard, etc). And then you need a good big man (Geriot, Harper, Golden, Cline etc). I don't how well we can do if one of those 2 positions is not a top player on the team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT