ADVERTISEMENT

Probably the worst of the year

Mine was a joke, maybe a bad one if nobody got it. I'm confident Dayton isn't doing that. not for their best ooc game on a sat night. Which is what the Drake game is for us. I got an email for 2 for $20 tix + free parking. I didn't realize it was also bring your buddy night for STH.

It's too bad our poor start coming off the NCAA trip has reverted us back to these tactics. Not that I'm against them u have to do what u have to do. For a mid week bad game sure. But maybe the momentum is already gone. Hope not idk.
Kids Club game too. I could have gotten 5 free tickets to this game if I wanted to with the freebies going around to go along with my two paid-for seats.

To be clear, the students will be on break so like always, there are lots of available seats.

Exams go through Tuesday, but some students may finish up early and head home, while others will be studying. Study breaks are good for you though.

Reactions: SpiderDogg
Exams go through Tuesday, but some students may finish up early and head home, while others will be studying. Study breaks are good for you though.
So...
How long is break?
Don't remember it being this long in the mid-80s, of course my memory could be failing more than usual...

TJ Cline says Hi. And, Marshall Wood as well. I think because we had Grant and Nate play together for awhile, it must have seemed like we had no one since Harper, but Allen, TJ, and Wood show we have. I thought Grant and Nate did pretty good together, and had a lot of success, but I guess 23 is mad because we didn't have somebody else out there instead.

You say these guys are out there. Well, how many of them? 23 uses Harper as an example, and mentioned NBA draft pick. Okay, how many Justin Harper types have been drafted from the A-10 since Harp graduated?
I have always had TJ pegged as a center in our system. Marshall was at best a modestly successful player for us, he wasnt even a starter for much of his time here. And I trust you aren’t suggesting Nate was an outside shooting threat, of course he was a very good player for us though.

I have always had TJ pegged as a center in our system. Marshall was at best a modestly successful player for us, he wasnt even a starter for much of his time here. And I trust you aren’t suggesting Nate was an outside shooting threat, of course he was a very good player for us though.
23 mentioned Reed would have been our best perimeter threat at the 4/5 in a long time, and asked why couldn't we get anyone after Justin Harper, so I was following up more on that angle with TJ after you mentioned Allen. I mentioned Wood because he was 6'8 and good from 3. No, Nate was definitely not an outside threat, but I was just wondering if 23 were upset with Grant and Cayo playing together because because he often gets on Mooney for not having had a lot of 4/5 guys who can shoot the 3. You know me, I would love every guy out there to be good from 3, but I also love winning, and Grant and Nate did a lot of winning. So, I'm not about to complain like 23 and say I wish we had this big or that big.

23 mentioned Reed would have been our best perimeter threat at the 4/5 in a long time, and asked why couldn't we get anyone after Justin Harper, so I was following up more on that angle with TJ after you mentioned Allen. I mentioned Wood because he was 6'8 and good from 3. No, Nate was definitely not an outside threat, but I was just wondering if 23 were upset with Grant and Cayo playing together because because he often gets on Mooney for not having had a lot of 4/5 guys who can shoot the 3. You know me, I would love every guy out there to be good from 3, but I also love winning, and Grant and Nate did a lot of winning. So, I'm not about to complain like 23 and say I wish we had this big or that big.
Well I think the complaint is that there’s been very little success recruiting at that spot which is hard to argue. I like the Bigelow pickup this year but there’s really no one else on the roster behind him of much size. MattG but I think he’s playing a bit out of place as a F/W type. Nate had no terribly strong backup and prior to that youre hanging your hat on Wood? That’s a tough sell to me that our quality/depth has been consistent.

Well I think the complaint is that there’s been very little success recruiting at that spot which is hard to argue. I like the Bigelow pickup this year but there’s really no one else on the roster behind him of much size. MattG but I think he’s playing a bit out of place as a F/W type. Nate had no terribly strong backup and prior to that youre hanging your hat on Wood? That’s a tough sell to me that our quality/depth has been consistent.
This goes back to my comment that there are not that many quality 6'8+ guys out there to began with. Now, you want a lot of depth? Geez, a lot of power schools don't even have front court depth. There's a reason so many teams go to 3 and even 4 guard lineups now. There are way more quality guards than quality 6'8 guys to recruit out there. Come on. You have to know this. Go to an AAU tourney. Lots of teams will have one 6'8+ guy and 9 guards.

But, all that being said, we had as much or even more depth for Nate than most teams with Grace and Tyler. So, we had Grant, Nate, Grace, and Tyler, and you didn't like out front court depth? Geez, some of you are just impossible to please.

Last edited:
Why worry about spots? Isn’t the job of the coach to strategize with your current rosters strength? Several years ago we had Fore, Johnson, Gilyard, buckingham and sherod. Seems there could have been a rotation of switching two guards for constant pressure and pressing the whole game. Not many teams would have had the guard depth to keep fresh at the end of the game against that quickness and pressure. But instead we have that round peg square hole thing going on.

Hear you, but Mooney would never consider that as we rarely play " Ram ball" for any length of time under any circumstance. It is outside his system regardless of roster....and unlikely to change.

Why worry about spots? Isn’t the job of the coach to strategize with your current rosters strength? Several years ago we had Fore, Johnson, Gilyard, buckingham and sherod. Seems there could have been a rotation of switching two guards for constant pressure and pressing the whole game. Not many teams would have had the guard depth to keep fresh at the end of the game against that quickness and pressure. But instead we have that round peg square hole thing going on.
There have been plenty of posts about our lack of depth during this time. Khwan, Jacob, Nick, and Buck all started and averaged over 30 minutes a game. We were counting on Solly that year, and he didn't pan out. You can join the hate Mooney party on here and get on him for lack of depth then, but I don't know how you can say we should have played only 2 of these guys together and pressed all game.

As for your the coach should strategize with current roster strength comment, have you not been watching? We have pressed more this year than we ever have. And, if our FG % were higher, we would have even done more pressing than we already have.

I do agree with your why worry about spots comment. Give me a PG, a big, and surround them with good, solid basketball players.

Last edited:
Hear you, but Mooney would never consider that as we rarely play " Ram ball" for any length of time under any circumstance. It is outside his system regardless of roster....and unlikely to change.
?? Have you not been watching this year?

This goes back to my comment that there are not that many quality 6'8+ guys out there to began with. Now, you want a lot of depth? Geez, a lot of power schools don't even have front court depth. There's a reason so many teams go to 3 and even 4 guard lineups now. There are way more quality guards than quality 6'8 guys to recruit out there. Come on. You have to know this. Go to an AAU tourney. Lots of teams will have one 6'8+ guy and 9 guards.

But, all that being said, we had as much or even more depth for Nate than most teams with Grace and Tyler. So, we had Grant, Nate, Grace, and Tyler, and you didn't like out front court depth? Geez, some of you are just impossible to please.
You’re making more of a case out of this than I am. That said, it’s hard to argue that we don’t have a bad track record recruiting these guys. There’s a really long list of all the ones we’ve offered who have gone elsewhere, and not all to P6 programs.

I look at this years team and am asking who is our paint guy when we need someone to bang around a bit and get us some close in buckets. Grace? Maybe. Quinn seems to be only modestly effective. That’s not really what Bigelow or Tyler do.

It just feels absent within our roster now that grant and Nate are out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT