ADVERTISEMENT

Probably the worst of the year

yeah, at one point I think Randolph and Goose were out there with no other point. guess you could say either of them played it.

Dji didn't play much. had his one shot goal tended I believe? think it was an and-one but missed the FT. had 2 defensive boards but a turnover in 3 minutes.

guys not named Burton or Quinn made 8 baskets all night and no foul shots.
Yeah 3:32 and the TO was when he dove to floor trying to make a play. But none of that effort was rewarded. 🤷🏼‍♂️ or it was…with a spot as ast coach.

SDad I hope you keep instilling in your son to keep his head up and work even harder when it can be frustrating. His role has increased each year here and beyond that it's critical to be ready for when your opportunity presents itself (whether by injury, someone transferring out, or winning more time with your play). Myself and many other Spider faithful love watching your son play and are pulling for him to do well.

SDad I hope you keep instilling in your son to keep his head up and work even harder when it can be frustrating. His role has increased each year here and beyond that it's critical to be ready for when your opportunity presents itself (whether by injury, someone transferring out, or winning more time with your play). Myself and many other Spider faithful love watching your son play and are pulling for him to do well.
Appreciate the words🙏🏼✊🏼 We always encourage and try to keep him positive. But will admit this year is getting frustrating for all. Def don’t like it but we still encourage even after some really head scratching decisions. But it’s a long season 🕷️🏀

Deep enough to win?
Not sure what you mean. Deep enough that if you are 5th behind 4 other guys, how much should you expect to play? Yes, we are 3-5 with 2 OT losses, a 3 point loss, and a 1 point loss. Very frustrating to lose these close games. But, what do you mean by asking deep enough to win? Are you saying we should play more guys? I think we have an established top 8 who have separated themselves and they should get the minutes. I also think we can win these 8 guys, so yes, I think we are "deep enough to win". And, I don't know what going deeper into the rotation and playing guys not as good as the top 8 would do to help you win more. Best guys play. But, just my opinion. We can disagree.

Appreciate the words🙏🏼✊🏼 We always encourage and try to keep him positive. But will admit this year is getting frustrating for all. Def don’t like it but we still encourage even after some really head scratching decisions. But it’s a long season 🕷️🏀
I know SDad won't read this because he has me on ignore, but maybe it will get to him at some point. I think it is great you encourage your son and keep him positive, but I disagree with the getting frustrating for all talk. Dji is 9th on the team in minutes, and has played in every game. That is more than Crab, Dread, and Walz can say. Should they be frustrated also? Why get frustrated? You have a son on scholarship playing D1 ball. Very few kids do that. Very very few. Many kids who were great in high school and the stars of their teams aren't good enough to play college ball anywhere at any level. I have said the same thing to many parents and kids in the past. Enjoy what you are doing. Enjoy what you have. Don't get frustrated. Keep at it. Be realistic in the off season. Don't expect so much before the season starts that you might be let down and frustrated during the season.

Not sure what you mean. Deep enough that if you are 5th behind 4 other guys, how much should you expect to play? Yes, we are 3-5 with 2 OT losses, a 3 point loss, and a 1 point loss. Very frustrating to lose these close games. But, what do you mean by asking deep enough to win? Are you saying we should play more guys? I think we have an established top 8 who have separated themselves and they should get the minutes. I also think we can win these 8 guys, so yes, I think we are "deep enough to win". And, I don't know what going deeper into the rotation and playing guys not as good as the top 8 would do to help you win more. Best guys play. But, just my opinion. We can disagree.
Mostly tongue in cheek but I’m just suggesting that we aren’t winning at a great clip with options 1-4 so at some point you switch it up and go to guys 5/6.

Mostly tongue in cheek but I’m just suggesting that we aren’t winning at a great clip with options 1-4 so at some point you switch it up and go to guys 5/6.
We are only 8 games in. I don't panic that easily. Do you want to see Dread, Noyes, and Walz more too?

We are only 8 games in. I don't panic that easily. Do you want to see Dread, Noyes, and Walz more too?
I think what’s the harm. We are not an at large candidate. Take the remaining games and see what you’ve got.

There is often some clear line where your top talent separates from the bottom tier but there are usually middle pack guys that may be worth giving some run to.

I think what’s the harm. We are not an at large candidate. Take the remaining games and see what you’ve got.

There is often some clear line where your top talent separates from the bottom tier but there are usually middle pack guys that may be worth giving some run to.
I feel so bad for Tyler. What a waste of his final year. He is a great kid out there all by himself. If Roche doesn’t shoot 10 times a game, then Mooney should be fired before Christmas.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
I feel so bad for Tyler. What a waste of his final year. He is a great kid out there all by himself. If Roche doesn’t shoot 10 times a game, then Mooney should be fired before Christmas.
I think that’s a little hyperbolic. I think Bigelow is a better four than Cayo was for us and roche strikes me as someone who’ll get hot if he gets enough floortime. There are other pieces that on any given night are talented. We just aren’t putting it altogether.

But it is up to CM to put the right pieces together.

I think a lot of harm because our best guys are still adjusting to playing together. Why mess with rotations that probably won't be there come conference time? Pretty much every team out there has a good idea of who their main guys are, and that is who plays for them. It's not like we are being way different than the norm if we play 8 guys. We actually have 9 guys averaging 12+ minutes. That is probably more than a ton of teams out there. I think Mooney is doing exactly what you are asking for the most part. Look at Randolph: 21, 21, and 18 minutes the last 3 games. Dji has 5 games of 13 or more minutes. so, he has and is giving run to middle pack guys. With Nelson, Goose, and Roche, I don't think there are a lot of minutes for both Randolph and Dji. It seems like Randolph has passed Dji, and that would make sense to me because Randolph looks like the better player to me. I don't want to play guys just to play them. I am always a best guys play guy, and I want the guys that give me the best chance to win out there. I think an 8 man rotation is more than enough if that is what we choose to do.

Last edited:
Why mess with something that is 3-5 and blows every late game small lead they’ve had right? That sounds like something that is worth leaving alone to fester
So, what exactly are you asking for? 9 guys are averaging 12+ minutes, so by messing with something do you mean playing guys 10-12 (Walz, Noyes, Dread) more?

So, what exactly are you asking for? 9 guys are averaging 12+ minutes, so by messing with something do you mean playing guys 10-12 (Walz, Noyes, Dread) more?
Herein is the problem. What the team is doing isn’t working. Yes you can dither about losing by small margins and I get that, but a loss is a loss.

You are suggesting that things are going to get better by letting the formula stay as is and hope it just matures. That might work. I’m more interested in shaking things up. That also might work.

Both are rational approaches.

I know SDad won't read this because he has me on ignore, but maybe it will get to him at some point. I think it is great you encourage your son and keep him positive, but I disagree with the getting frustrating for all talk. Dji is 9th on the team in minutes, and has played in every game. That is more than Crab, Dread, and Walz can say. Should they be frustrated also? Why get frustrated? You have a son on scholarship playing D1 ball. Very few kids do that. Very very few. Many kids who were great in high school and the stars of their teams aren't good enough to play college ball anywhere at any level. I have said the same thing to many parents and kids in the past. Enjoy what you are doing. Enjoy what you have. Don't get frustrated. Keep at it. Be realistic in the off season. Don't expect so much before the season starts that you might be let down and frustrated during the season.
VT, if you're asking for a high level D1 athlete and his dad to be happy just to be on a team and on scholarship, then I don't think you understand high level D1 athletes. I wouldn't want Dji to be satisfied playing 12 mpg. I don't want Randolph, Noyes, Dread or Walz to "enjoy what they have" either. keep grinding. support your teammates, but keep fighting for opportunity. and make the most of it when you get it.

No offense VT, but the "don't panic, it's only X number of games" attitude is what frustrates many of us about this program and has for years. We show no urgency. We come out against everyone and fall way behind. We play not to lose when we have a lead late in games. It's a hallmark of Mooney teams over the years, unfortunately (and undeniably).

There's nothing wrong with our talent. At worst right now we should be 6-2. The reason we aren't is that our approach sucks, and we don't play like our hair is on fire. We need more toughness, a little attitude, a refuse-to-lose aura.

Say what you guys want about Nelson, he’s just not good enough to get the minutes he’s received. He might have been a winner in high school, but high school and D1 are two different animals. Yes this is his first year, but he’s had the advantage of practicing with a great pg all last year. He’s had a year to prepare for this moment, but he just doesn’t have it. Give the minutes to Dji or anyone else who can dribble.
After two games people were on here claiming he was better than Gilly as a freshman?

26 of 57 points, yep he is the problem. 🙄
21 of the 52 shots as well. But some help for him would be nice. It’s almost like somebody said this roster wasn’t good enough… I wonder who

But let SDad Convince you guys this team was super deep and talented LOL

21 of the 52 shots as well. But some help for him would be nice. It’s almost like somebody said this roster wasn’t good enough… I wonder who

He made 10 of 21 of those shots. The rest of the team went 11 of 31. Keep shooting TB!!

Reactions: plydogg

LOL, Yeah TB is the only talented player and we don't have players that have talent, that's some nonsense right there...but please continue.

The team is talented enough to be 6-2 or 7-1. Or after watching all eight games, do you believe it isn't?
we're 293rd in shooting percentage. it's not like the offense we've run for a million years doesn't work.
we knew going in we might have trouble shooting, and we have.

Reactions: VT4700

This is an odd angle for a Mooney truther to take. OK, the entire roster is garbage short of one guy?

And how would that be anyone other than conman Moon's fault were it to be true?

Herein is the problem. What the team is doing isn’t working. Yes you can dither about losing by small margins and I get that, but a loss is a loss.

You are suggesting that things are going to get better by letting the formula stay as is and hope it just matures. That might work. I’m more interested in shaking things up. That also might work.

Both are rational approaches.
So, what would you do? How would you shake things up?

VT, if you're asking for a high level D1 athlete and his dad to be happy just to be on a team and on scholarship, then I don't think you understand high level D1 athletes. I wouldn't want Dji to be satisfied playing 12 mpg. I don't want Randolph, Noyes, Dread or Walz to "enjoy what they have" either. keep grinding. support your teammates, but keep fighting for opportunity. and make the most of ihen you get it.
Sman, isn't that pretty much what I said? I never used the word satisfied. I said don't get frustrated. There is a big difference. Getting frustrated doesn't solve anything. No team plays 13 guys. D1 football teams might have 5 QBs. Usually 1 plays. So, I'm not sure I get what you mean if you think every D1 athlete who doesn't play a lot should just go around being frustrated. Like you said, keep grinding. I said keep at it, so I think we agree some here. And, yes, support your teammates, and make the most of your opportunities. But, saying all that, have realistic pre season expectations.

Last edited:
Head scratching personnel decisions, being very bad at end-game management, and a .550 winning % is what makes Mooney so popular among the message board. Lucky for you, you have only 3-years experience.

Reactions: SpiderGuy

So you’re not even trying to hide that your allegiance is to Mooney and not the spiders.

This post makes me sick and pisses me off

No offense VT, but the "don't panic, it's only X number of games" attitude is what frustrates many of us about this program and has for years. We show no urgency. We come out against everyone and fall way behind. We play not to lose when we have a lead late in games. It's a hallmark of Mooney teams over the years, unfortunately (and undeniably).

There's nothing wrong with our talent. At worst right now we should be 6-2. The reason we aren't is that our approach sucks, and we don't play like our hair is on fire. We need more toughness, a little attitude, a refuse-to-lose aura.
Well, thank goodness we didn't panic last year either. We lost some close games last year, and the board was just as upset then, wanting us to try something different. So, what are you saying? We don't try as hard late in games? We don't care? You guys are complaining a whole lot as usual, but I hear very few specific solutions offered.

The team is talented enough to be 6-2 or 7-1. Or after watching all eight games, do you believe it isn't?
And, lots of teams are talented enough to win every game. But, they don't because the other team tries to win too. We have had 4 close games, and you are saying we should be 3-1 or 4-0 in them? That would be awesome to win 75 or 100% of all of our close games. So, what are you suggesting? After going on big 2nd half runs like we have done, we should bench the guys who brought us back, and put new guys in the last few minutes?

And, lots of teams are talented enough to win every game. But, they don't because the other team tries to win too. We have had 4 close games, and you are saying we should be 3-1 or 4-0 in them? That would be awesome to win 75 or 100% of all of our close games. So, what are you suggesting? After going on big 2nd half runs like we have done, we should bench the guys who brought us back, and put new guys in the last few minutes?
Yes, with a half decent coach, we go 3-1. With a pretty good (not even great), we go 4-0.

Keep in mind those games wouldn't have been close if we didn't have a bad coach making them close.

Reactions: plydogg
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT