ADVERTISEMENT

Probably the worst of the year

Say what you guys want about Nelson, he’s just not good enough to get the minutes he’s received. He might have been a winner in high school, but high school and D1 are two different animals. Yes this is his first year, but he’s had the advantage of practicing with a great pg all last year. He’s had a year to prepare for this moment, but he just doesn’t have it. Give the minutes to Dji or anyone else who can dribble.

Reactions: Long Island Spiders
Say what you guys want about Nelson, he’s just not good enough to get the minutes he’s received. He might have been a winner in high school, but high school and D1 are two different animals. Yes this is his first year, but he’s had the advantage of practicing with a great pg all last year. He’s had a year to prepare for this moment, but he just doesn’t have it. Give the minutes to Dji or anyone else who can dribble.
Agreed. Let’s try something else. It’s not rocket science. Nelson may very well earn back the minutes but right now it’s beyond obvious. Almost as painful as how long it took Mooney to make the Wilson change last year.

Basketball program floats like a butterfly, pretty O when it works, but rarely stings like a bee. The competitiveness, dig deep mentality on D and rebounding, is not bred into our teams over the years and it shows.

That's a step further than I'm willing to go (saying he doesn't have "it", I think it's early to make that call). But it definitely does have the feel that he's just going to get all the minutes he can handle right now regardless of the how things are going on the court.

I love Nelson and think he has the potential to be a Spider great but the results on the court right now are speaking for themselves. We can't have our 2nd leading minute getter, 2nd most shots taken and lead ball handler shooting 39% overall, 29% from 3 and 59% on free throws and expect to be a winning team. If those are your shooting numbers you need to be killing it in some other area (steals, assists, etc.) and he is not.

I guess all these minutes could pay off big a few years from now when he's a junior and senior, but it sure makes for some difficult to watch basketball at the moment. And I think it risks the domino effect of demoralizing the team and also of potential transfers of guys who can see it's not working out but they can't catch up to him on the depth chart.

I just hate losing 🤷🏼‍♂️

yeah, I'm starting to change my opinion that you can grow as a player during a redshirt year. Nelson's had some flashes, but I don't know if he's ahead of where he'd have been as a true freshman.

I'd like to bring him off the bench for a while. nothing says he has to start every game of his career. move Goose to the point which opens time at off guard for more Randolph, Roche and Dji.

yeah, I'm starting to change my opinion that you can grow as a player during a redshirt year. Nelson's had some flashes, but I don't know if he's ahead of where he'd have been as a true freshman.

I'd like to bring him off the bench for a while. nothing says he has to start every game of his career. move Goose to the point which opens time at off guard for more Randolph, Roche and Dji.
Nelson lost his senior year to Covid and then redshirted last year. So, that is 2 plus years of not playing competitive basketball. Also Nelson was not your typical redshirt candidate, he came ready to play, just that Mooney was going to play Gilly nearly every minute of every game, so he didn't have an opportunity to play. That is poor program management/player development by Mooney.

But Mooney had to be all in last year, otherwise he is not here this year, so he played last year for his personal survival not for the long term success of the program he runs.

Nelson lost his senior year to Covid and then redshirted last year. So, that is 2 plus years of not playing competitive basketball. Also Nelson was not your typical redshirt candidate, he came ready to play, just that Mooney was going to play Gilly nearly every minute of every game, so he didn't have an opportunity to play. That is poor program management/player development by Mooney.

But Mooney had to be all in last year, otherwise he is not here this year, so he played last year for his personal survival not for the long term success of the program he runs.
LOL. Right, we should have played Jacob less last year, lost a few more regular season games and lost in the 1st round of the A-10 tourney. Then, after a 16-16 season, we would not have been as attractive of a transfer destination, and Trevor Smith might have decided to go elsewhere, but, hey all would have been great because we would have given Nelson a few minutes last year.

Reactions: PASpider

I don't really see that. He has 4 full years of playing eligibility now. It is true sometimes we have redshirted players needlessly but in this case Gilly was still going to play whole game, maybe Nelson gets a few spot mins. For a kid you view with good future the extra year is worth more than the minimal mins imo. The extra ships we had due to Covid no doubt helped, some years u would not have the luxury.

Yes Mooney was all in but u could argue he would have burned ship if he was only looking out for last year, in case Nelson could have helped even minimally off bench. And ultimately, after underachieving for most of year, we won A10 and NCAA game anyway, so not like we lost out on opportunity. Believe he made the right call.

This year imo we've lost due to strategy and tactical errors by Mooney as much as anything. There is a lot on Nelson plate, he'll play a lot but no reason it can't be 25 mpg, with it trending up as his play dictates. A lot of ppl scoffed at my Goose pg theory this summer, when I projected would get some time there, we'll see but could be doing that direction.

G, good call on Goose. He looks more than capable when we need minutes from him at PG. Randolph showed he can handle things for a few minutes as well if necessary.

A lot of ppl scoffed at my Goose pg theory this summer, when I projected would get some time there, we'll see but could be doing that direction.
I was skeptical. now I think he's likely our best option there.

we threw Nelson in the fire and expected too much of him too soon.

Yes, he may be a good option to just keep things settled down for now. It seems he is bring the ball up the court a bit in the games I have seen. I was not able to catch the WM game, it sounds like Randolph played some point too? What about Dji?

Did we scare spiderdad off the board. I would not blame him. Got to be tough on the team now. Hopefully can get this turned around and get some positive mojo going.

yeah, at one point I think Randolph and Goose were out there with no other point. guess you could say either of them played it.

Dji didn't play much. had his one shot goal tended I believe? think it was an and-one but missed the FT. had 2 defensive boards but a turnover in 3 minutes.

guys not named Burton or Quinn made 8 baskets all night and no foul shots.

Yes, he may be a good option to just keep things settled down for now. It seems he is bring the ball up the court a bit in the games I have seen. I was not able to catch the WM game, it sounds like Randolph played some point too? What about Dji?

Did we scare spiderdad off the board. I would not blame him. Got to be tough on the team now. Hopefully can get this turned around and get some positive mojo going.
When Randolph and Goose were in there while Nelson wasn't, they both brought it up. Both handled it well and I saw no issues with either one. Dji played 4 minutes. I just think he is buried behind the other guys, and how deep do we really need to go after Nelson, Goose, Roche, and Randolph?

yeah, at one point I think Randolph and Goose were out there with no other point. guess you could say either of them played it.

Dji didn't play much. had his one shot goal tended I believe? think it was an and-one but missed the FT. had 2 defensive boards but a turnover in 3 minutes.

guys not named Burton or Quinn made 8 baskets all night and no foul shots.
Nelson and Bigelow were a combined 3-13 (2-9 from 3) in a 1 point loss. Sometimes, it really is as easy as saying we just needed one more basket.

How do you get down by 17 in the first half to one of the bottom 5 teams in all of NCAA Div 1 basketball history? Not to mention with a 7 footer, an NBA player and two 5th or 6th year seniors. It’s damn near impossible to be that bad of a coach, but we have him.

Nope…still here 😀 Just as frustrated as others up here.

CM has seemingly locked in on him at PG. I suppose the strategy for that is to crash course him with enough experience that’s he’s ready for conference play when it sort of matters.

The alternative is to try more than one guy and see how they both fare. I prefer this option personally.

Reactions: Spiderwiz
When Randolph and Goose were in there while Nelson wasn't, they both brought it up. Both handled it well and I saw no issues with either one. Dji played 4 minutes. I just think he is buried behind the other guys, and how deep do we really need to go after Nelson, Goose, Roche, and Randolph?
Deep enough to win?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT