ADVERTISEMENT

Predict our conference record

How many conference games will we win this year?

• 7 wins or less (dumpster fire territory, fire Mooney talk dominates the message board)

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • 8-10 wins (around a .500 team like we've shown to be this year so far)

Votes: 24 47.1%
  • 11-12 wins (solid record, clearly toward the top of the conference)

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • 13+ wins (surefire top tier A10 team)

Votes: 3 5.9%

• Total voters
We are 1-5 in close in the final minute games.
We are predicted to even that record with 1 point victories over VCU, UMass, GW, and SLU...

I don't have confidence in our team with close games. Yes - we won the game with Roche hitting the 3 at the end. But with our suspect free throw shooting, lack of play design at the end of games/halves, and overall lack of experience with key ballhandlers (Nelson) - in a close game, I don't like our chances.

Reactions: whampas
Come on guys, down by 22 is a sure-fire recipe for success. It would have worked against Charleston if not for the phantom foul called on Goose and it did working against Duquesne. So just stop worrying and trust that Master Mooney knows best.

Come on guys, down by 22 is a sure-fire recipe for success. It would have worked against Charleston if not for the phantom foul called on Goose and it did working against Duquesne. So just stop worrying and trust that Master Mooney knows best.
Its the rope-a-dope version in basketball. Let the other team shoot and score at will, and maybe they will get tired of making so many shots that in the 2nd half - we come back on them.

Reactions: wr70beh and SpiderK
So 11 games left. 5 home, 6 away.

Home
Fordham
Loyola

rematches
SBU
GMU

SLU

Away
Dayton
VCU

GW
UMass
ST Joe

LaSalle

Any predictions?

So 11 games left. 5 home, 6 away.

Home
Fordham - win
Loyola - win

rematches
SBU - loss
GMU - loss

SLU - loss

Away
Dayton - loss
VCU - loss

GW - loss
UMass - loss
ST Joe - win

LaSalle - win

Any predictions?

Did GW beat Dayton by 10 in DC?Is ST Joe leading UMass by 10 in Philly?

Come on guys, the best strategy for making the tournament clearly is to finish sixth in pedestrian fashion, then just plan on winning four games in four days against three higher seeded teams. I can't believe you idiots don't understand that!

Just looking through these early predictions and can’t help but be amazed at how optimistic folks were. Right now EL in the lead using TPIR rules because I think he’s the only one who didn’t overbid…

Reactions: 8legs1dream
6-12. I agree with KE, talent is there to be 12-6 but the point guard position is very weak this year and the free throw shooting is abysmal. Mooney can’t overcome that, or they can’t overcome Mooney, either way.
I am looking strong!! 😂

Just looking through these early predictions and can’t help but be amazed at how optimistic folks were. Right now EL in the lead using TPIR rules because I think he’s the only one who didn’t overbid…
I think it boils down to what fans wish for versus practicality. We all want so much more, but it’s not in the cards. As the season comes to conclusion, I think we underachieved. Or maybe this is just what should have been expected?

I think it boils down to what fans wish for versus practicality. We all want so much more, but it’s not in the cards. As the season comes to conclusion, I think we underachieved. Or maybe this is just what should have been expected?
Well for sure most folks predict with their heart not their eyes.

This has nothing to do with JW or Jim Miller. Anytime a new coach takes over a program there is an expectation of time it takes to implement their system and get their guys. When Mooney started at UR - this was longer simply because he ran a specific system that none of our current guys fit into and back them transfers had to sit out a year. Plus I think Mooney was hired late and really couldn’t recruit before his first year (think he got Butler and that was it). But nonetheless - by year 5 we had gained a high seed in NCAA tourney. And repeated again in year 6 with a sweet 16 run. So right there - the hire was good and UR was on the right path. The issue is we have never been able to repeat or maintain that level in any form. Who you blame for that is your own guess- but unfortunately players don’t get fired in college. ADs don’t get fired. The coach bears the responsibility. I could list reasons listed before on why we have not been able to get back to that level but that has been done before on this board.

Reactions: nathanw19
The 10 year contract was a mistake. Wish Mooney would have gone to BC, not sure they really wanted him.

The Mooney model is terrible, you put a guy in place, with no pressure or drivers to perform - other than self motivation - which comes every blue moon. Hiring a coach can be a bit of a crapshoot. But if you hire a guy on the rise that wants to get to a power conference - that is the formula. He is self motivated and has reason to put the best team on the floor every year short term.

Again, we are in a terrible place now. Let's say we do bad enough for Hardt to let Mooney go - that will not be for another two seasons after this one. Then Hardt is still around and hires another super mediocre coach. 3-4 more years of mediocrity. Hardt finally retires, or falls asleep and wheeled out. Hopefully the next AD is a good one and we understand the value of an excellent hoops program. So looking at about 8 years out for true optimism. Sorry Section 9, not a rosy near term future I know. However, I am optimistic we will be back on solid footing by time your are 60ish.
I was in the camp that thought the NCAA success of last season, the bonanza and ability to beat out some good programs for Quinn (Rutgers and a bunch), Roche (Missouric, etc) and Bigelow, may prop up moon and reset his motivation. But he is the exact same coach. I am giving him one more chance, win the A10 tourney, pick up some prime talent this off season, and he may be OK, but very very doubtful at this point.

Everyone have a great Thursday!!!!!!

• Sad
The 10 year contract was a mistake. Wish Mooney would have gone to BC, not sure they really wanted him.

The Mooney model is terrible, you put a guy in place, with no pressure or drivers to perform - other than self motivation - which comes every blue moon. Hiring a coach can be a bit of a crapshoot. But if you hire a guy on the rise that wants to get to a power conference - that is the formula. He is self motivated and has reason to put the best team on the floor every year short term.

Again, we are in a terrible place now. Let's say we do bad enough for Hardt to let Mooney go - that will not be for another two seasons after this one. Then Hardt is still around and hires another super mediocre coach. 3-4 more years of mediocrity. Hardt finally retires, or falls asleep and wheeled out. Hopefully the next AD is a good one and we understand the value of an excellent hoops program. So looking at about 8 years out for true optimism. Sorry Section 9, not a rosy near term future I know. However, I am optimistic we will be back on solid footing by time your are 60ish.
I was in the camp that thought the NCAA success of last season, the bonanza and ability to beat out some good programs for Quinn (Rutgers and a bunch), Roche (Missouric, etc) and Bigelow, may prop up moon and reset his motivation. But he is the exact same coach. I am giving him one more chance, win the A10 tourney, pick up some prime talent this off season, and he may be OK, but very very doubtful at this point.

Everyone have a great Thursday!!!!!!
Section 9 isn't feeling at all rosy this morning ..

Section 9 isn't feeling at all rosy this morning ..
Sorry, I am not helping. I will say, we have seen things turn on a dime in sports. I am hopeful we will have some turn of events in the next year or two that will result in a huge boost to our hoops team. Not sure what this is. I was hopeful it was the A10 championship and upset of Iowa, but seems like that was not the stimulus we needed.

Sorry, I am not helping. I will say, we have seen things turn on a dime in sports. I am hopeful we will have some turn of events in the next year or two that will result in a huge boost to our hoops team. Not sure what this is. I was hopeful it was the A10 championship and upset of Iowa, but seems like that was not the stimulus we needed.
Rather, it may set us back further as was stated above....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT