ADVERTISEMENT

Pre-camp offensive positional assessment

fballcoach65

Gold Member
Aug 11, 2014
Wanted to start a thread on where things stand positionally heading into camp, one that we can all use to update as camp moves along and many of us have a chance to see workouts in person. This is my opinion, please do not take it as gospel and feel free to add your own color, comments or disagreement with anything I throw out there. Sorry in advance for the length of this post.

QB - 6 on the roster with English, Mancuso, Walker, Chenault, Hughes and Rolfe. Hughes was a walk on last season, Rolfe is one this season. As I mentioned in an earlier post, the battle for the starting role seems to be between Mancuso and English, though it would not surprise me to see Walker get inserted if he happens to light it up during one of the 4 games he can play in while retaining his redshirt. It will be interesting to see who is taking the first team reps when camp opens next week. English proved to be inaccurate at times with his throwing during conditioning and workouts, while Mancuso has shown some improvement and Walker has a nice arm. Satterfield has taken over as passing game coordinator, and it will be interesting to see what schemes he and Durden pull out this season and who will excel within those schemes and concepts. KJ couldn't make a read to save his life last year and would run as soon as he saw his first read wasn't open - when he could see over the line. Mancuso had that problem at times last year, while Chenault showed the most poise in the pocket.

RB - 6 on the roster with Howard, Goodall, Dykes, Campbell and two walk ons, Smith and Huhn. When X went out last season, Howard and Dykes were able to do some really good things in their four games each, and should do even better with more playing time and repetition. It will be interesting to see if X can stay healthy this season and live up to the expectations. One of our problems at RB is that all three of these young men are built the same way and are not everyday between the tackles kind of runners. We don't have a bowling ball like Gordon on the roster this year that can run over people. If the staff was smart, they'd line up some of the TEs or even LBs (Dressler was a beast in HS) in the FB position to free up the RBs between the tackles, or to take snaps and pick up any short term gains needed to move the chains. It will likely be RB by committee this year, and let's hope they all stay healthy, especially X. Cameron Cloud was an athlete pickup who is listed as a WR but could see some time at RB as well.

WR - 13 on the roster. Only 4 returning WRs that saw playing time last season in J Brown, Jasper, Maffe and I Brown. JB was injured for a good portion of the season, Jasper and Brown were limited to 4 games, and Maffe was starting towards the end of the season. Fortunately Fuller and Fessler came on board, Devon Perry moved from DB to WR and Cameron Cloud came in with the last class. Unfortunately Castellano will be out all season with an ACL injury. Three walk ons - Simpson, McDonough and Jacque - are also on the roster. Powell will likely be a TE when camp starts. We had the best receiving corp in the CAA, and perhaps in FCS, last season and failed to take advantage of the size and speed that is now no longer with us. Gone are a great core group of Cortrelle, Brissett, Drake, Bevels and Wilkins. Satterfield seems to have a good relationship and rhythm as a new coach, and again will be the passing game coordinator this season. I'd look for position by committee here with 7 potential starters in rotation and Cloud getting time during his 4 games. While we do not have a 4.4 guy in Cortrelle any longer, Fuller has some wheels. Fessler, Maffe and Jasper are all 6'3 or taller, and several others are 6'1 or 6'2, so there will still be several big targets on the field. Look for a lot less 11 and 12 personnel sets and more 4 receiver sets, and more tunnel screens and outs and less long balls.

TE - 4 on the roster, until Powell moves into that role. Only 1 returner in Tsangeos, 1 in the 2019 class (Close) and two walk ons. Not a lot of experience here, and will be interesting to see how the TEs are used in the offense. I do not believe any of these guys are blocking, hands in the dirt TEs but hopefully I am wrong. With a new position coach in Richardson dedicated to the TEs, hopefully they can be coached up and integral to the success of the offense moving forward. This is the shakiest position group on offense, in my opinion, because there are no Hudson, Jacob, Geraghty types on the roster that could do the blocking and catching.

OL - 13 HEALTHY OL currently on the roster, including returning starters in McConnell, Coleman, Settepani and Sumpter. More, Singleton, Seekford and Snavely all got playing time last year, and several members of the 2019 class in Coll, Lamp, Salyers and Elia will all get their time this year for sure. Also have a walk on from FL in Messmacher. If the line stays healthy this year and we are not forced to move people like Jacob to the line because of injuries, this group could be the biggest asset to the offense this year. All the returners are solid and will hopefully allow the freshmen to maintain their red shirts while getting their 4 games in and turning into solid OL over this season and heavy contributors next when a few of the young men graduate. I am really looking forward to watching this group this season.

ST - Griffin Trau gone. Duncan Trau, Breckenridge and walk on Jake Larsen will be battling for XP duties, Will be interesting to see what happens with these guys pushing each other. Not sure if we will be good outside of 40 yards, and hopefully we won't have to worry about it because we will be getting 6 each drive. Had a few criticall misses on FG and XP last season, need to make sure those don't happen this season.

Good post. Was Castellano expected to contribute a lot this year? Tough loss if going by rankings which I realize with FCS should not be taken too seriously.

• Rated the No. 1 tight end in all of FCS football by HERO Sports and the No. 3 overall recruit in the Colonial Athletic Association
Although seems he was moved to WR.

Reactions: ricspdr14
Wanted to start a thread on where things stand positionally heading into camp, one that we can all use to update as camp moves along and many of us have a chance to see workouts in person. This is my opinion, please do not take it as gospel and feel free to add your own color, comments or disagreement with anything I throw out there. Sorry in advance for the length of this post.

QB - 6 on the roster with English, Mancuso, Walker, Chenault, Hughes and Rolfe. Hughes was a walk on last season, Rolfe is one this season. As I mentioned in an earlier post, the battle for the starting role seems to be between Mancuso and English, though it would not surprise me to see Walker get inserted if he happens to light it up during one of the 4 games he can play in while retaining his redshirt. It will be interesting to see who is taking the first team reps when camp opens next week. English proved to be inaccurate at times with his throwing during conditioning and workouts, while Mancuso has shown some improvement and Walker has a nice arm. Satterfield has taken over as passing game coordinator, and it will be interesting to see what schemes he and Durden pull out this season and who will excel within those schemes and concepts. KJ couldn't make a read to save his life last year and would run as soon as he saw his first read wasn't open - when he could see over the line. Mancuso had that problem at times last year, while Chenault showed the most poise in the pocket.

RB - 6 on the roster with Howard, Goodall, Dykes, Campbell and two walk ons, Smith and Huhn. When X went out last season, Howard and Dykes were able to do some really good things in their four games each, and should do even better with more playing time and repetition. It will be interesting to see if X can stay healthy this season and live up to the expectations. One of our problems at RB is that all three of these young men are built the same way and are not everyday between the tackles kind of runners. We don't have a bowling ball like Gordon on the roster this year that can run over people. If the staff was smart, they'd line up some of the TEs or even LBs (Dressler was a beast in HS) in the FB position to free up the RBs between the tackles, or to take snaps and pick up any short term gains needed to move the chains. It will likely be RB by committee this year, and let's hope they all stay healthy, especially X. Cameron Cloud was an athlete pickup who is listed as a WR but could see some time at RB as well.

WR - 13 on the roster. Only 4 returning WRs that saw playing time last season in J Brown, Jasper, Maffe and I Brown. JB was injured for a good portion of the season, Jasper and Brown were limited to 4 games, and Maffe was starting towards the end of the season. Fortunately Fuller and Fessler came on board, Devon Perry moved from DB to WR and Cameron Cloud came in with the last class. Unfortunately Castellano will be out all season with an ACL injury. Three walk ons - Simpson, McDonough and Jacque - are also on the roster. Powell will likely be a TE when camp starts. We had the best receiving corp in the CAA, and perhaps in FCS, last season and failed to take advantage of the size and speed that is now no longer with us. Gone are a great core group of Cortrelle, Brissett, Drake, Bevels and Wilkins. Satterfield seems to have a good relationship and rhythm as a new coach, and again will be the passing game coordinator this season. I'd look for position by committee here with 7 potential starters in rotation and Cloud getting time during his 4 games. While we do not have a 4.4 guy in Cortrelle any longer, Fuller has some wheels. Fessler, Maffe and Jasper are all 6'3 or taller, and several others are 6'1 or 6'2, so there will still be several big targets on the field. Look for a lot less 11 and 12 personnel sets and more 4 receiver sets, and more tunnel screens and outs and less long balls.

TE - 4 on the roster, until Powell moves into that role. Only 1 returner in Tsangeos, 1 in the 2019 class (Close) and two walk ons. Not a lot of experience here, and will be interesting to see how the TEs are used in the offense. I do not believe any of these guys are blocking, hands in the dirt TEs but hopefully I am wrong. With a new position coach in Richardson dedicated to the TEs, hopefully they can be coached up and integral to the success of the offense moving forward. This is the shakiest position group on offense, in my opinion, because there are no Hudson, Jacob, Geraghty types on the roster that could do the blocking and catching.

OL - 13 HEALTHY OL currently on the roster, including returning starters in McConnell, Coleman, Settepani and Sumpter. More, Singleton, Seekford and Snavely all got playing time last year, and several members of the 2019 class in Coll, Lamp, Salyers and Elia will all get their time this year for sure. Also have a walk on from FL in Messmacher. If the line stays healthy this year and we are not forced to move people like Jacob to the line because of injuries, this group could be the biggest asset to the offense this year. All the returners are solid and will hopefully allow the freshmen to maintain their red shirts while getting their 4 games in and turning into solid OL over this season and heavy contributors next when a few of the young men graduate. I am really looking forward to watching this group this season.

ST - Griffin Trau gone. Duncan Trau, Breckenridge and walk on Jake Larsen will be battling for XP duties, Will be interesting to see what happens with these guys pushing each other. Not sure if we will be good outside of 40 yards, and hopefully we won't have to worry about it because we will be getting 6 each drive. Had a few criticall misses on FG and XP last season, need to make sure those don't happen this season.
Great post!!

Appreciate the info and your informed view on where we are by offensive position. The info is getting the old football juices flowing again!

Defensive analysis coming I hope? Thanks again.

Nice roster analysis.

QB is Beau English’s to lose.Mancuso and Walker will back up.
Maybe there are other slots for Chenault, Hughes and Rolfe.Rolfe looks like an athlete.

Personally concerned about RB.There are no big backs among them.
Would be nice to have some with Vaughn and Hightower size.Taking a pounding at 5-9,185 in this league is not good.

Newbies on OL that seem ready to play are Coll and Elia.Would’t be surprised if More gets a starting nod.

Powell looks like starter but wouldn’t be surprised if Coll is also used as additional TE on short yardage.Coll is athletic and would be a nasty TE if Beau throws him the ball.

Hopefully,our Gr Transfer WRs are cagey route runners.Much of our long ball speed is gone.

This is some great info thanks for the insights
Also for those that doubt our numbers on the roster, don’t forget freshmen can play 4 games without giving up a year of eligibility and if they are really advanced can continue if needed at a position
Tired of seeing us coach and prepare our recruits and then they leave us for their 5th year at FBS level

Great info - love reading this stuff. Hoping everyone stays healthy through August

Thanks to everyone who have shared their insights in this thread. It sounds like our biggest strength on offense headed into the season is up front on the OL. That's a great place to have experience and depth...and we are due some good health at that position after the last few years. You can't get anything done on offense without that foundation up front. That being said: I'm pretty concerned about us being able to score enough points once CAA play starts. As mentioned above we lost most of what was a very explosive WR corps. Over the last few years we've had quite a few big pass plays and that position group has gone from a huge strength to a huge question mark. If you aren't getting big pass plays then you lean on the running game...another big question mark. As mentioned we have lots of smaller RB's but no real between the tackles 220lb plus power runner. Sounds like it will be RB by committee. You'd love to see an alpha emerge there...we haven't had that since Jacobi Green IMO. Yet another position where we could really use some injury luck this year.

Reactions: urfan1
Well stated, Captain. Questions on offense for sure. Really need special teams to step it up as field position will be a key with uncertain big pass play potential.

Taz Sumpter is a guy that really needs to have a breakout year this year. Very promising young player that has not been able to stay on the field because of injuries, this far. The great news is we have some versatility on the line. Some young guys that have seen a good number of snaps already.

We're going to miss Drake, hope someone can step in to that type of utility player role... perhaps Maffe.

Thanks to everyone who have shared their insights in this thread. It sounds like our biggest strength on offense headed into the season is up front on the OL. That's a great place to have experience and depth...and we are due some good health at that position after the last few years. You can't get anything done on offense without that foundation up front. That being said: I'm pretty concerned about us being able to score enough points once CAA play starts. As mentioned above we lost most of what was a very explosive WR corps. Over the last few years we've had quite a few big pass plays and that position group has gone from a huge strength to a huge question mark. If you aren't getting big pass plays then you lean on the running game...another big question mark. As mentioned we have lots of smaller RB's but no real between the tackles 220lb plus power runner. Sounds like it will be RB by committee. You'd love to see an alpha emerge there...we haven't had that since Jacobi Green IMO. Yet another position where we could really use some injury luck this year.
Our explosive WR corps didn't do us any good when the QBs were throwing it to the other team multiple times per game.

Reactions: urfan1
I think the Grad Transfers will help make a difference at WR and Beau English and Jackson Walker will ultimately be the 2 fighting it out to start at QB. Our high school (Battlefield) won the VA state championship in 2010 using a 2 QB system with guys who remind me of these two from their film. Jackson has a great pocket presence and Beau looks great in the RPO. Of course this was HS and not D1 football so not sure how coaches feel about a 2 QB system at this level.
Haven't seen it work at this level.

I believe Larsen has been at school with most of the other scholarship frosh for the last month participating in the Bridge Program.He was offered as a result of the awful Spring game of the other kickers.He was offered a walk on at Buffalo.Not sure he’d be here early with other frosh if he was non-scholarship.At least 4 scholarship frosh have not participated in the early session-Close,Schenke,Louis,Elia.
No other non-scholarship participants have been here early.

Counting down five ways the Spiders will be different this football season

Richmond’s Charlie Fessler (left), a graduate transfer from Northwestern, emerged as the Spiders’ top receiver in their spring scrimmage.

• MARK GORMUS/TIMES-DISPATCH

Air Force transfer Beau English is a Richmond quarterback with three seasons of eligibility remaining.

• JOHN O’CONNOR/TIMES-DISPATCH

Defensive back Daniel Jones (right) said regular offseason interaction between University of Richmond players and five new assistant coaches has smoothed the transition.

What’s new with University of Richmond football in 2019? Here are five things worth considering as UR preps for its Aug. 29 opener against visiting Jacksonville.

1. A renewed dedication to ball security. The Spiders finished last season with a minus-9 turnover margin. That tied for last in the CAA.

“From the first day we walk out on that field and put a football in our hands, the emphasis is going to be taking care of the football,” said third-year coach Russ Huesman. “The quarterback who takes care of the football is going to be the quarterback who plays. The running back who takes care of the football is going to be the running back who plays.”

Richmond quarterbacks threw 18 interceptions. UR brought in Air Force transfer Beau English, who has three years of eligibility remaining. He will compete with juniors Joe Mancuso and Reid Chenault (Goochand). Each started last year.

“If you take care of the football and play great defense, you’ve got a chance to be in every game,” said Huesman.

2. A fresh cast of receivers. Richmond lost its top seven receivers from last year’s 4-7 team (2-6 CAA).

“I actually feel great about our wide receivers,” said Huesman. “In our minds, we’ve probably got six guys who can go out and play and compete and make plays at this level.”

Graduate transfers Charlie Fessler (Northwestern) and Keyston Fuller (Duke) are joined by junior Jeremiah Brown (Wake Forest), sophomore Ben Maafe, and redshirt freshmen Justin Jasper (St. Christopher’s) and Isaac Brown.

3. A transformed coaching staff. The Spiders return offensive coordinator Jeff Durden and defensive coordinator Adam Braithwaite. Five of the remaining eight assistants enter their first seasons at UR.

“They know what we’re expecting. They’ve adjusted really, really well,” said Huesman. “Game day is let (players) go out and play. Call a play or two, call a defense or two, and let them play. It’s what happens on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, leading up, how well we’re coaching those guys at that point in time, that’s important.”

Said defensive back Daniel Jones: "We've been interacting with the coaches a lot. They come talk to us throughout the facility all the time. We have voluntary meetings where we can go meet with them throughout the summer. It's been a smooth transition."

4. A lot of unfamiliar names. Thirty-two new players are part of an 82-man roster. Six of the newcomers are transfers.

“The scary part about the first game is some of the new guys who haven’t been out on the field,” said Huesman. “How are they going to react? How are they going to respond?”

5. A placekicker without experience. Griffin Trau handled UR’s kicking the last three years. He holds the program record for field-goal percentage (81), and completed his career second in field goals, with 47.

Trau’s younger brother, Duncan (redshirt freshman), and punter Micah Breckenridge (sophomore) will compete with freshman Jake Larson.

Our explosive WR corps didn't do us any good when the QBs were throwing it to the other team multiple times per game.

Very true. I don't think we've played very good "complementary" football for several years now meaning we've had games where we did score some points in flurries on big pass plays but then followed that up with several 3 and out or short drives that put our defense right back on the field, particularly against the better teams in the CAA. We obviously have to cut down on the ints but also establish some balance in terms of being able to run the ball. That ability opens up the play action game and frankly would allow us to have more sustained drives which wear down opponents defenses and keep our D fresh. The last few years we've had too many short drives and haven't shown the ability to pick up short yardage and sustain drives when we've needed to. Maybe more qb zone reads and RPO's will help supplement the run game this year.

Close2Salem

It seems that your son along with Elia,Louis and Schenke are the 4 incoming frosh not attending the UR summer Bridge Program for the last 5 weeks.It meant they didn’t participate in academic classes,nor team bonding sessions nor workouts with our training group.

Is there a plausible reason why those 4 were not included and in doing so did the UR staff prepare a ‘workout regime’ for Avery(and others) to implement before he arrives at UR Preseason camp later this week?

As a UR football booster,I find this exclusion of these 4 incoming frosh a bit odd.Does Russ intend to not play these kids in 2019-20?

Reactions: MolivaManiac
More creative play calling verses run on 1st, 2nd, and throw deep on 3rd will help us win games. We should have a much improved O-line this year and better DB play.

More creative play calling verses run on 1st, 2nd, and throw deep on 3rd will help us win games. We should have a much improved O-line this year and better DB play.

The o-line experience and depth gives me a lot of hope. I'm really hoping to see improvement in the secondary. I thought we had some pretty major breakdowns last year in terms of finding the ball in the air, playing the ball without interfering, and tackling on the back end of the defense.

Posting is about being positive and respectful. For the record, I'm not dad, just a proud family member.

sorry, but we will agree to disagree. Of course every family member is proud of their son/daugther who plays Div 1 sports as a scholarship athlete

Parents of college athletes who post on message boards are the same as helicopter parents. Why does this board need to know what the coaches are telling your son about a TE #? Did you ask your son's permission about posting it? What's his answer going to be when its brought to yours son attention by his position coach that his father is posting, especially if a post is perceived negatively.

sorry, but we will agree to disagree. Of course every family member is proud of their son/daugther who plays Div 1 sports as a scholarship athlete

Parents of college athletes who post on message boards are the same as helicopter parents. Why does this board need to know what the coaches are telling your son about a TE #? Did you ask your son's permission about posting it? What's his answer going to be when its brought to yours son attention by his position coach that his father is posting, especially if a post is perceived negatively.

Wow Lurker u sure have a way with words. Looks like Mr. Coll listened & took even step further by deleting all his old posts.

Honestly it was sound advice imo.

Perhaps he’ll be back more anonymously down the road.

Reactions: MolivaManiac

I agree with most all of this, especially about the QB’s and receivers. We had an NFL QB two years ago and the best receiving corp in FCS the past two years. This coaching staff had no idea how to use them. That’s scary to me. Other than his ability to throw players under the bus, Huesman has not been impressive at any phase of the game.

Reactions: SpiderRick
we have not had a dominant O line in years and the last running back was jacobi green: before that it was Kendall gaskins. it has been a lot of lean years. If we can't run the ball, its gonna be a long disappointing season.

I agree with most all of this, especially about the QB’s and receivers. We had an NFL QB two years ago and the best receiving corp in FCS the past two years. This coaching staff had no idea how to use them. That’s scary to me. Other than his ability to throw players under the bus, Huesman has not been impressive at any phase of the game.
I’m a little puzzled. When did Huesman throw players under the bus? But, then I’ve always considered
that attitude by fans, the same as giving participation trophies.

I’m a little puzzled. When did Huesman throw players under the bus? But, then I’ve always considered
that attitude by fans, the same as giving participation trophies.
Annap, not sure but think a parent of a player(Rocco recruit) said this 1-2 years ago. When I think a coach states post game our defense tackled poorly, or we could not hold onto the ball or our QB made poor decisions, then it is simply stating the truth and telling our players they need to do better. Now that Russ has his coaching staff and recruits, let’s see what happens.

Annap, not sure but think a parent of a player(Rocco recruit) said this 1-2 years ago. When I think a coach states post game our defense tackled poorly, or we could not hold onto the ball or our QB made poor decisions, then it is simply stating the truth and telling our players they need to do better. Now that Russ has his coaching staff and recruits, let’s see what happens.
I agree.

we have not had a dominant O line in years and the last running back was jacobi green: before that it was Kendall gaskins. it has been a lot of lean years. If we can't run the ball, its gonna be a long disappointing season.

So true. We have not been able to consistently run the ball or pick up short yardage in years. That spans both the Rocco and Huesman tenures. Huesman is a defensive guy and we have a bunch of guys returning on that side of the ball. I want to see us field a very good defense this year. A defense that applies pressure with the front 3-4 and tackles and covers well. Things that we frankly didn’t do last season. Having an alpha emerge at RB...who stays healthy...would be huge as well.

Reactions: mojo-spider
I’ll admit this is just personal opinion, but I’ve always thought that Rocco forced his hand knowing his roster was lacking for him to win big. I’m not saying that I don’t think we could have done better the past 2 years, but an objective view of our roster is that we weren’t nearly as loaded as many seemed to think (as a skins fan I’ve say that we had a Dan Snyder roster with flashy players in skill positions and lacking depth at the less glamorous but key positions).

I’m hope RH has us moving in a better direction.

A point that I can never prove, but I'd bet my left nut (but not the right one) that Rocco would have gotten us to the playoffs in Lauletta' s senior year. My belief is that it wasn't so much of a personnel problem that year as much as Huesman came in and changed EVERYTHING...plus unrest in the locker room and players not buying into Huesman's system.

I’ll admit this is just personal opinion, but I’ve always thought that Rocco forced his hand knowing his roster was lacking for him to win big. I’m not saying that I don’t think we could have done better the past 2 years, but an objective view of our roster is that we weren’t nearly as loaded as many seemed to think (as a skins fan I’ve say that we had a Dan Snyder roster with flashy players in skill positions and lacking depth at the less glamorous but key positions).

I’m hope RH has us moving in a better direction.
Actually, I think it might have been both your assessment as well as DT’s.
Let’s see what happens this year.

I like Jake Larson' s senior stats, 6/6 on FGs, 60-61 on XPs, and 32 touchbacks...impressive to say the least. Yeah I know it's high school, but it hard to improve on perfection. Our Achilles heal for years now has been kickoff field position and missed extra points, I would love to see some stabilization there for sure.

Reactions: Captain Anderson
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT