Assistant Coach
Mar 8, 2014
Just left practice. Few observations, mostly focused on the new players:
1. Shawnee excused absence to attend a funeral
2. Josh nowhere to be seen
3. Kwan worked with what appeared to be first team early on
4. Deon made some threes
5. Very uptempo practice.
6. Kwan and Jesse will contibute this year and can play some uptempo ball. Jesse defense was impressive.
7. Marshall and julius both looked good.
8. Paul played pretty well with several flashes and showed range. May not be a big contributor this year because of depth but will fill in nicely next year and beyond.
9. Suspect Kovien redshirting given lack of participation during several segments.

Reactions: Manthatlives
Good to hear about Jesse. At the practice I went to weeks ago, it seemed that he was being criticized for doing something wrong after every play. Granted he had little practice experience at that point.

My take on your observations.

2. Unfortunate to see this and getting close to start of season if newcomers show promise early on expectations of Josh being an integral part of Spider success diminishes.
3. Wasn't high on it but possibly combo of SDJ/Kwan together on court together could happen.
4. Complete 180 turn on my value of DT to the team if he can make enough 3s.
6. Good to see this from these guys but if you can't defensive rebound adequately and don't pressure defensively from midcourt forward much, IMO uptempo effectiveness becomes moot point.
7. Newcomers looking good, nice!

Looking good it appears in practice but we all realize this was the team playing against each other in practice. Go Spiders!

Competition for minutes between Jesse and Julius will be interesting... IMO Julius looked to be a knock-down spot -up shooter (although a bit worried about his low release at this level) who could contribute right away while Jesse was a bit of a scrapper, utility player similar to Kadeem last year... of course would prefer Josh was available for bulk of bench 2 guard minutes

Kwan appears to be ready to go, to borrow a football term, a downhill runner who can get to the hoop in transition and will be a solid back up 1 and maybe play some 1 with SDJ at 2

PF was a pleasant surprise but agreed probably 1-2 years out from an impact role, jury still out on MW but certainly a quality bench player

Main concern is depth/scoring to be a tournament team, I think we need big 3 (TA, SDJ, TJ) to be at or near 15 ppg each and every night which they are all capable of but will need to show consistency of upperclassmen - if all 3 end up all-conference (3 players in top 15 in conference) then should have a shot at a great season

would add TJ looks to have picked up a few mire offensive moves. Kwhan can sky. Interesting match up of Kwhan and Jesse for a short period, not long enough to get a feel. Deon much improved, his passing was spot on, interior D was very good

I largely agree with the observations above, and will try to add a different slant to what I took away from the "scrimmage" (mostly practice) today. First, I have been attending a couple of practices per year for many years, and believe that what is "practiced" tends to show up in games. Three "relatively new" drills I saw today were very encouraging. First, playing "practice time" with a lid (literally) on the basket, to force each shot (in or not) to be rebounded. I love this "innovation," because it means we may place a bit more emphasis on rebounding, and we may do more blocking out. All good! Second, we ended today with some drills in which one guy takes a charge (some were not gentle) and then the player has to dive on the floor for a loose ball. I love this drill too, because it suggests that we may be gearing up to be a more physical and "hustle" type of team. If we practice taking charges and diving for lose balls, my bet is we will do more of that during games. I loved these "changes," which I had not remembered seeing before.

Related to the above, it also looked like there were several forms of "motion" offense, and "screens" that were being practices, and I am already feeling better about of offense "clicking" nicely this season. We also seemed to practice a "massachsets" play and a St. Louis play, suggesting that scouting our opponent's tendencies (and offenses) may be a part of our preparation this year. The two paragraphs above suggest that we may have a stronger defense, rebounding and offense than in the past.

Second, the two squads that played against each other were instructive. At center, it was TJ for the red squad, vs. Paul for the blue, at PF, Deion vs. Terry, at SF Marshall vs. Trey, at 2G, Julius vs. Jessee, and at PG, mostly Khuan vs. Joe Kirby. What I take away is that Trey may start the first game at the 2-G spot, but he just may play most of his time at the SF, which I believe is a better fit. Also, Marshall seems to be competing with Trey at SF, which is also good. Deion appears to be competing with Terry at PF. My main take-aways from these line-ups are that we may get to see the two freshmen competing for 2-G time, and we may get to see "offensive/defensive substitutions of Trey for Marshall, and Deion for either TJ or Terry. It looks like we are deeper than usual, and it looks like there will be some good comptetitions for minutes. Jessee also did play some PG, and brought the ball up a few times, suggesting that his ball-handling and passing are likely strong, for a first-year player.

Third, individual player comments:
1. TJ looked very good. His passing is outstanding, as always, and I believe he will score more (15 pts+).
2. Deion appears to have his full vertical leap back, and flushed some amazing dunks during the warm-ups at this practice. If his defense continues to be rock-solid, and he can be fed the ball for more dunks, watch out! I also see him as able to play defense for the 4 or 5 positions, especially at the end of games,when we have an O/D sub pattern.
3. K Fore looks like he will be a very good PG for us, maybe as soon as this season. He had some very athletic dunks (warm-ups/practice) and seems to be learning the offense and defense. I see him playing along-side ShawnDre, unless the two freshmen (JJ and JP) develop very quickly. I see KF getting 15+ minutes per game.
4. Julius and Jessee both looked very solid, and also "close" in what they may contribute. Jessee may win our fan award for "Mr. Hustle."
5. Kovien Dominaus looks like a dead-eye 3-point shooter (and maybe a better outside shooter than eitehr Julius or Jessee). However, I am hopeful that he will focus on developing his muscle-mass, and choose to red-shirt. He is likely not going to contribute this year.
6. Playing Marshall Wood at SF could be a stroke of genius by our coaches. He looks like a good outside shooter, athletic, and capable of blocking some shots. I can see him pushing TD for significant time, and these two doing an offensive/defensive sub pattern at the end of games.

Very encouraging "scrimmage" today and I have a good feeling about this team. Can't wait for next Friday (and JMU) to arrive.

I largely agree with the observations above, and will try to add a different slant to what I took away from the "scrimmage" (mostly practice) today. First, I have been attending a couple of practices per year for many years, and believe that what is "practiced" tends to show up in games. Three "relatively new" drills I saw today were very encouraging. First, playing "practice time" with a lid (literally) on the basket, to force each shot (in or not) to be rebounded. I love this "innovation," because it means we may place a bit more emphasis on rebounding, and we may do more blocking out. All good! Second, we ended today with some drills in which one guy takes a charge (some were not gentle) and then the player has to dive on the floor for a loose ball. I love this drill too, because it suggests that we may be gearing up to be a more physical and "hustle" type of team. If we practice taking charges and diving for lose balls, my bet is we will do more of that during games. I loved these "changes," which I had not remembered seeing before.

Related to the above, it also looked like there were several forms of "motion" offense, and "screens" that were being practices, and I am already feeling better about of offense "clicking" nicely this season. We also seemed to practice a "massachsets" play and a St. Louis play, suggesting that scouting our opponent's tendencies (and offenses) may be a part of our preparation this year. The two paragraphs above suggest that we may have a stronger defense, rebounding and offense than in the past.

Second, the two squads that played against each other were instructive. At center, it was TJ for the red squad, vs. Paul for the blue, at PF, Deion vs. Terry, at SF Marshall vs. Trey, at 2G, Julius vs. Jessee, and at PG, mostly Khuan vs. Joe Kirby. What I take away is that Trey may start the first game at the 2-G spot, but he just may play most of his time at the SF, which I believe is a better fit. Also, Marshall seems to be competing with Trey at SF, which is also good. Deion appears to be competing with Terry at PF. My main take-aways from these line-ups are that we may get to see the two freshmen competing for 2-G time, and we may get to see "offensive/defensive substitutions of Trey for Marshall, and Deion for either TJ or Terry. It looks like we are deeper than usual, and it looks like there will be some good comptetitions for minutes. Jessee also did play some PG, and brought the ball up a few times, suggesting that his ball-handling and passing are likely strong, for a first-year player.

Third, individual player comments:
1. TJ looked very good. His passing is outstanding, as always, and I believe he will score more (15 pts+).
2. Deion appears to have his full vertical leap back, and flushed some amazing dunks during the warm-ups at this practice. If his defense continues to be rock-solid, and he can be fed the ball for more dunks, watch out! I also see him as able to play defense for the 4 or 5 positions, especially at the end of games,when we have an O/D sub pattern.
3. K Fore looks like he will be a very good PG for us, maybe as soon as this season. He had some very athletic dunks (warm-ups/practice) and seems to be learning the offense and defense. I see him playing along-side ShawnDre, unless the two freshmen (JJ and JP) develop very quickly. I see KF getting 15+ minutes per game.
4. Julius and Jessee both looked very solid, and also "close" in what they may contribute. Jessee may win our fan award for "Mr. Hustle."
5. Kovien Dominaus looks like a dead-eye 3-point shooter (and maybe a better outside shooter than eitehr Julius or Jessee). However, I am hopeful that he will focus on developing his muscle-mass, and choose to red-shirt. He is likely not going to contribute this year.
6. Playing Marshall Wood at SF could be a stroke of genius by our coaches. He looks like a good outside shooter, athletic, and capable of blocking some shots. I can see him pushing TD for significant time, and these two doing an offensive/defensive sub pattern at the end of games.

Very encouraging "scrimmage" today and I have a good feeling about this team. Can't wait for next Friday (and JMU) to arrive.

I highly doubt Trey will be taken out of the game when we are making defensive substitutions, he is an amazing defender. If anything he will slide over from the 3 to the 2 and we will take out a guard when we do defensive substitutions.

Hearing Deion is improved is great. He was actually a really good shooter as a freshmen (24 - 60 from 3), but his back surgery after his freshmen year had an incredibly negative impact on his shooting, especially from outside (23-108 from 3 the past 2 seasons). If he has his shooting touch back he will go from being one of the worst offensive players in the A10 to an incredibly valuable player.

As for the freshmen, it sounds like they are going to get a lot of minutes, which I have suspected would be the case. Trey will play the vast majority of his minutes at the 3 next year, just as he has his entire career, and we will get a lot of freshmen contribution at the 2. SDJ and Fore are likely to play a lot of time together, even though people here have them pegged as playing the same position. It doesn't matter, the best guards will play, and currently it sounds like that is Fore and SDJ. Having one of the freshmen start at the 2 and Trey start at the 3 would be a great sign for our basketball team's strength and Mooney's confidence in the freshmen.

Some superficial observations from Saturday's open practice:
1 - Kovien Dominaus has a sweet stroke from 3-pt-land, as I reported back in July. His direct competition with Marshall Wood demonstrated that he should probably redshirt. In the take-a-charge drill, Marshall flattened him twice - and he got up dizzy. 220 lbs. vs. 170 lbs. will do that for you. Still interested to see him develop.
2 - Julius Johnson looks better in game situations than I have seen him look previously.
3 - Marshall Wood will definitely help us with his outside shooting, his length, his ability to run the court, and his ability to rebound.
4 - If Khwan isn't going to get much playing time, nobody has convinced him of this. Continues to impress.

Looking forward to see y'all on Friday night. Go Spiders!

Julius looks to be in much better shape, look for him to continue to improve, he's got talent

Good to hear about Jesse. At the practice I went to weeks ago, it seemed that he was being criticized for doing something wrong after every play. Granted he had little practice experience at that point.
PASpider, good to hear Coach Mooney was criticizing Jesse after every play. That is a sign that CM thinks very highly of Jesse. When Kendall Anthony was a freshman, CM criticized him constantly and noted that he did so as he saw his great potential. OSC

While I have great faith in our coaches' smarts, I don't think they've discovered anything magical here...Marshall by all accounts plays small forward. Nonetheless, I'm glad to hear he will compete there. SF has been a consistently inconsistent position for us for the last several years.

was glad to see Ukrops ads back on the basket stanchions...unless I overlooked it I think they had disappeared, or assumed a much lower profile in recent years...

really wish they had announced ShawnDre' was away for personal reasons before the practice started...don't know about others, but when he didn't appear during the warm up drills my stress level increased significantly...

looking forward to getting started Friday and seeing how it all comes together...

Go Spiders!
The Spider Gang Group Facebook Page
https://www.facebook.com/groups/127760237246257/

Coach did exactly that. He told us in his first few words that Shawndre was absent due to a death in family.

Coach did exactly that. He told us in his first few words that Shawndre was absent due to a death in family.
should have been clearer...I meant the period between when the players began to appear and warm up and formal practice beginning...

Coach did announce ShawnDre's absence at the beginning of formal practice, but most, if not all of the squad was on the court warming up for at least 20 minutes before Coach Mooney appeared and spoke...the way Spider basketball and football players have been disappearing this semester it created an uncomfortable uncertainty for me...regards to ShawnDre's family...

Go Spiders!

I really liked Mooney being mic'd up for the majority of the practice. You really can tell how much he coaches and works the guys during practice. I think it really added a special element to the event.

Reactions: spider3309
If Deion can give us 20 minutes of great rebounding, above-average defense and an ability to successfully dunk the ball and make 60% of his FTs, I will be very happy. Anything more than that is unexpected and gravy if it happens.

+1 Eight. I watched Deion in warm-ups many times last year and at times he would stroke it pretty well from 3, those moments obviously didn't translate into a game. Deion's shot mechanics were really bad, I would say broken last year, the past 2 years. The ball just doesn't stand a good chance of going in with that hitch and spin he puts on the ball. If it hits any part of the rim, it is going to spin out

So, I wasn't at practice on Saturday, but unless his stroke is different, I wouldn't expect the fact that he hit some 3's in practice translate into someone new found weapon for us. As Eight said, if it does, that would be really great, but on the list of my reasonable expectations for this year, Deion being an even average shooter for us, is not on that list.

And I say that having come around on Deion's critical role on this team as a key defensive player in the blocks for us. He will provide us our toughness down low especially now that ANO is gone.

As for CM riding Jesse, Jesse strikes me as the type of kid who is going to thrive off of that type of motivation.

Agree, if Mooney is showing some "tough love" to a player, there's a good chance he'll be good - see Harper, Anthony and Allen as past examples.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT