ADVERTISEMENT

Please help and show you care

UR80sfan

Star
Jan 28, 2018
As you probably know Jacob Gilyard and the basketball team have been big promoters of the awareness of Autism. Gilly brother has Autism and has attend a number of games. I would like to see if we as a group could help raise money in his name for his favorite charity ASAN, Autistic Self Awareness Network here is the website: https://autisticadvocacy.org/

You can contribute as little as $10, it takes less than a minute and there is a place to name the person (Jacob Gilyard) you are honoring through your donation. Please let us know on this board if you will contribute to help motivate others. Once you have made a donation send Gilly an email jacob.gilyard@richmond.edu and let him know you donated, along with how much you appreciate what he has done for the program.

Please also forward this information to people not on the basketball board. If we get a strong response, this will show the players what a wonderful group of fans we truly are. Go Spiders!

I have never met or spoken with Gilly before. Here was his response to my email. I x out a couple things to stay anonymous. He is a wonderful person. I hope you guys also give something.

Mr. xxxxxxxxx,

How are you? Hope all is well. This is so cool and I cannot thank you enough. Truly means the world to my family and I that coming to Richmond would ultimately lead to something like this.

I would probably pick ASAN (Autistic Self Advocacy Network). This is a good one and I really love their motto.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Fans like you made a school 17 hours away from Kansas City feel like home!

Thank you,

Jacob Gilyard

UR80sfan - Love the idea . Just contributed for myself and for my 82 year old mother who is a huge Spiders and Gilly fan. By going to quite a few of the away games this year including UNI where Jacob broke the record, chatted with Jacob's mother and older brother a bit .. class family.

Have you considered posting your idea of donating in Jacob's honor to the UR alumni FB page? Not sure if you are a member but it has been crazy active in the last 10 days and I think posting the idea there would grow the audience quite a bit.

UR80sfan - I went ahead and shared this (crediting you for the great idea) on the UR alumni FB page since your original message asked folks to share via their networks. I truly believe a ton of $$ can be raised in Jacob and his brother's honor.​

Reactions: UR80sfan

UR80sfan - I went ahead and shared this (crediting you for the great idea) on the UR alumni FB page since your original message asked folks to share via their networks. I truly believe a ton of $$ can be raised in Jacob and his brother's honor.​

I am very happy you did this, but no need to mention me. This is all about Gilly and the team and everyone on this board should get credit if they get other people to contribute.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
I am very happy you did this, but no need to mention me. This is all about Gilly and the team and everyone on this board should get credit if they get other people to contribute.
Great - I did get a question from someone on the FB alumni post asking if Gilly was ok with sharing his personal email (which I did when copying your post) - since I wasn't completely sure of the answer, I pulled his email address at least until you or he confirm that he is good with sharing it.

Great - I did get a question from someone on the FB alumni post asking if Gilly was ok with sharing his personal email (which I did when copying your post) - since I wasn't completely sure of the answer, I pulled his email address at least until you or he confirm that he is good with sharing it.
I would keep it in. It significantly increases the probability of people donating. I can't imagine he would have an issue with people emailing him to say they are donating in his name. In addition, U of R uses 2 email formats anyone can figure out quickly what his email is. I sent Gilly an email just to make sure and will let you know when I hear back.

I would keep it in. It significantly increases the probability of people donating. I can't imagine he would have an issue with people emailing him to say they are donating in his name. In addition, U of R uses 2 email formats anyone can figure out quickly what his email is. I sent Gilly an email just to make sure and will let you know when I hear back.
Great - I totally agree .. but didn't want to get into a back and forth on on the public FB forum so once you hear back from Gilly, please let me know and I will put back in.

Reactions: SpiderK
Great - I totally agree .. but didn't want to get into a back and forth on on the public FB forum so once you hear back from Gilly, please let me know and I will put back in.
OK to use email

Totally okay with that! Thank you so much!

Jacob Gilyard

From Jake to me:

"Richard, I can’t thank you enough! This means the world to me truly. So lucky to have be able to wear the Spiders uniform for the past 5 years! Cannot wait to come back and see the amazing things Richmond will accomplish in the upcoming years. The support has made Richmond my favorite place to be."

"

From Jake to me:

"Richard, I can’t thank you enough! This means the world to me truly. So lucky to have be able to wear the Spiders uniform for the past 5 years! Cannot wait to come back and see the amazing things Richmond will accomplish in the upcoming years. The support has made Richmond my favorite place to be."

"
Similar and genuine thoughts back to me in Jacob's response to my email .. at some level, it has to be a challenging week coming down from the craziness of the last two weeks (I'm feeling this myself) so this drive Spiders80 started is healthy for that reason as well for Jacob I would assume.

It is absolutely wonderful how many people participated in making a contribution and posted this idea to other social media accounts.

With that said, I am surprised that some of the regulars on the board have been radio silent. Hopefully it is do to procrastination and if not I would like to hear the reason. If they are not going to support one of the greatest guards ever to play for U of R after he help get us to the NCAA, then they will probably never support the program.

I just donated and wrote Jacob. My Men's Group at church donated funds and time supporting Tim Tebow's Night to Shine in our county in NC. Hard to believe that our rural county has over 1800 special needs kids and adults.

I donated. But browbeating people for not donating to a charity isn't a good look. People make decisions with their own money.
If it helps children's charities and our basketball program, I am happy to browbeat fellow scrooge posters. Thanks again for those that made a contribution, you are good people.

I donated. But browbeating people for not donating to a charity isn't a good look. People make decisions with their own money.
I did as well. I have two friends from a 30 and over basketball league I play in, each with a son with autism. Two of the sweetest kids you will ever meet. I coached one in t ball, and most popular player ever. I think the fact that 80s is using this as some sort of poll on your loyalism to the program is disgusting. Great idea to post on here but a hole move to try to make this a referendum on fandom.

I did as well. I have two friends from a 30 and over basketball league I play in, each with a son with autism. Two of the sweetest kids you will ever meet. I coached one in t ball, and most popular player ever. I think the fact that 80s is using this as some sort of poll on your loyalism to the program is disgusting. Great idea to post on here but a hole move to try to make this a referendum on fandom.
I think it is wonderful that you made a contribution. Happy to take the criticism

Love the donation idea as well and proud to support but this is spinning out of control. There could certainly be people who donated that simply didn't choose to make it public ... or others for reasons that isn't our business passed.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT