ADVERTISEMENT

Players taking accountability

Mooney or whoever is recruiting ought to have ears to the ground on Efton Reid. Didn't play much at LSU, went to Gonzaga and plays even less. Likely to get passed over there too, I would imagine. Of course it's a huge longshot, but at some point you figure he would like to be the star of the show. And where better to do that than at home.

Mooney or whoever is recruiting ought to have ears to the ground on Efton Reid. Didn't play much at LSU, went to Gonzaga and plays even less. Likely to get passed over there too, I would imagine. Of course it's a huge longshot, but at some point you figure he would like to be the star of the show. And where better to do that than at home.
You mean like at VCU?

Reactions: Spiders4ever
If we were a winning mid major program I can see a possibility.of landing a player like that. But UR basketball under Mooney historically sucks

I guess you are free to think and say this......or, you could just say you disagree.
I say it because its true. Or at least the premise is true. No way you dont have some kind of personal connection w Mooney. There is no reason for such blind loyalty.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
If we were a winning mid major program I can see a possibility.of landing a player like that. But UR basketball under Mooney historically sucks
Yeah, I know Mooney has no chance of closing a deal like that, but it's the kind he probably will need if he wants to see the end of this contract.

I hate the “three years away” talk.
I do too. And even losing Grace, Goose and Tyler, I think we have the talent to be a factor next year. Problem is I don't think we have the coach to get us there. Because, again, there is going to be turnover (replacing 3 starter minutes) and that is not moon's strong point. Sooo, it seems that the likely outcome next year looks a lot like this year so far. Like I said, still time this year to finish on positive note, but player our way out of NCAA early, and then instead of improving we have regressed - so not a great job by Moon.

Next year, we can have reason to be optimistic. Can hope for improvement from Quinn, Randolph, Dji, Nelson. Hopefully can land a big useful guy in the portal. Walz ready to contribute hopefully, and Noyes. If Noyes and Walz don't push their way into big roles next year, then they probably are going to be long time bench guys or transfer. Walz so big and athletic, and may need more time to develop. But Noyes will have been out of high school for 700+ days so if he cant' do it next year it probably is not going to happen here.

He will go to VCU to avoid class time.

Mooney has moved on from cussing the players through his hand cupped mouth to the Handshake/No-Handshake form of public punishment. Whatever is in the Dixie cup and whatever he is chewing has helped.

Because announcers and Matt Smith are always right? So, you don't want us to shoot 3s? Okay, send Quinn low all game and have him doubled. Then, what? Geez, might as well use the message board while you are at it....."EL and 97 said we should have......"

We aren't shooting well. There is only so much you can do. Yes, get more shooters, so save that for a recruiting discussion. Tony Bennett and UVA went to the NIT last year because they couldn't shoot. The best coach out there couldn't just "figure it out" last year.
If we were on track to make the NIT and the issue was shooting keeping us from the NCAA tourney on a down year, I’d be ok with that.

Reactions: gospidersgo
Btw u had another player take personal accountability. In today’s postgame presser Goose called himself out for GW & Charleston in particular. Maybe the teacher can learn from the students so to speak. It was also quite funny when after a long winded JOC question he smiled & said “What’s the question?”. That got some laughs round the press room.

Good attitude from Quinn. It is frustrating because he seems so close. Even with his lack of athleticism, I do think offensively he has enough at his size to be a dominant player in our league. When he makes that spin at top of key and finishes strong, you say Wow! But then he loses the ball after getting by his man. He is not going to get too much quicker or jump higher, but feel like if he can get a little stronger and better conditioned, he can take his game to another level next season.

No accountability from the mooniocrity.

These lines: "In A-10 competition, Richmond is making 30% from 3-point distance, which ranks 14th in the league. The Spiders have taken the second-most 3-point attempts (23 per game). In league play, Burton is 16 for 76 (21.1%) on 3-point tries."

I mean, how can anyone read this and think this is NOT a coaching issue? We are 14th of 15th in the league at making three-pointers BUT WE KEEP SHOOTING THEM MORE THAN EVERY OTHER TEAM EXCEPT ONE. For the love of god. Do we have any coaches who run the stats, ever?

Either no one is telling our players to stop shooting threes, or no one is teaching them how to create two-point shots and so we are having to hoist up terrible threes at the end of the shot clock. Either way: UNACCEPTABLE.

EL, I think the bigger issue is that Moon's offense is oft well defended. Just like his defense got stale to the point that freaking John Hardt had to call him in his office, his offense has major flaws - one being that every coach knows it inside and out. Yes, Roche is a guy that needs plays to get open. He is not David Gonzalvez, Blake Franchise, Curtis Blair, etc. Those guys could get themselves open. Roche is a very good player IMO, but not a guy to get himself open. Yes, the offense SHOULD do it, but would it hurt to add a wrinkle here and there. NO. But as noted, there never seems to be anyone on staff to change anything. That is why so excited at start of season with Boyden seemingly having a voice on D.

Reactions: Eight Legger
I do too. And even losing Grace, Goose and Tyler, I think we have the talent to be a factor next year. Problem is I don't think we have the coach to get us there. Because, again, there is going to be turnover (replacing 3 starter minutes) and that is not moon's strong point. Sooo, it seems that the likely outcome next year looks a lot like this year so far. Like I said, still time this year to finish on positive note, but player our way out of NCAA early, and then instead of improving we have regressed - so not a great job by Moon.

Next year, we can have reason to be optimistic. Can hope for improvement from Quinn, Randolph, Dji, Nelson. Hopefully can land a big useful guy in the portal. Walz ready to contribute hopefully, and Noyes. If Noyes and Walz don't push their way into big roles next year, then they probably are going to be long time bench guys or transfer. Walz so big and athletic, and may need more time to develop. But Noyes will have been out of high school for 700+ days so if he cant' do it next year it probably is not going to happen here.
Its looking more like next year we fill in replacements for Goose, Burton, and Grace - and we will struggle, but those guys get experience playing starter minutes - guys like Roche, Walz, Bigelow. So we will struggle next year - but I guess the hope is the following year - we have everyone return basically and then make a run. That is classic Mooney recipe - have a team that struggles, but everyone returns and they get better.

Good attitude from Quinn. It is frustrating because he seems so close. Even with his lack of athleticism, I do think offensively he has enough at his size to be a dominant player in our league. When he makes that spin at top of key and finishes strong, you say Wow! But then he loses the ball after getting by his man. He is not going to get too much quicker or jump higher, but feel like if he can get a little stronger and better conditioned, he can take his game to another level next season.

No accountability from the mooniocrity.
I feel like Quinn needs to be able to spin to his left and finish with his left hand. He always looks to finish with his right.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT