ADVERTISEMENT

Photos from back in the day

Wood Hall

Team Manager
Jan 26, 2015
Since some of you like the photos of old Pitt Feld, here are some more, from the great Dec., 1973, snowstorm during finals.

11201499_10205278809547904_5976369993317768850_n.jpg

32474_1342328436409_3743173_n.jpg
11402942_10205278838068617_6132051233215818572_n.jpg
11061284_10205278835388550_2192283464433318851_n.jpg
10995304_10205278830788435_7343122420668216145_n.jpg
10469776_10205278827228346_3172070988571602935_n.jpg
11112815_10205278815748059_7632161536576099692_n.jpg
10426216_10205278828748384_6333994349988751048_n.jpg
11377334_10205278833268497_2488516594619509397_n.jpg

Ok, I was 10.

But also less than a mile away from Three Chopt & Boatwright…

In order, the photos are: The sign at the old main entrance; looking from the Moore Hall archway toward Freeman Hall; Westhampton Lake, from Boatright Beach; Marsh Hall; Richmond Hall; Ryland Hall; Boatwright Tower, from Ryland Hall; Ryland Hall archway, looking toward the SBA, and X lot and the Robins Center.

Some of the building names have changed, I just used what they were called in my era. And that was one heck of a snowstorm.

Remember the storm well, frosh year. My roommate and I were told by some upper class team members about a boat they had used to get to the island. We found it the next day and paddled out it’s the island using brooms for paddles.

Impressive. Did they cancel classes? Or was it one of those "first time they canceled classes since the civil war" events?
It was during finals, which were postponed for a day, mainly because professors could not get to campus. I can't even remember how we learned they were being rescheduled, being the pre-Internet age. Probably a note on the classroom door.

Dining trays disappeared from the Refectory and were used for sleds on Boatright hill. I'm sure there was a huge snowball right someplace.

That was also the era when they served donuts, coffee and hot chocolate in the training table room of the Refectory every night during finals.

The area outside of Moore Hall (# 2) was an outstanding whiffle ball home run derby field. Home plate was in front of the bike rack. Right field ran parallel to the dorm, and the outfield was bordered by Freeman Hall. If you hit Freeman on the fly, it was a homer. Now there's a tree in the area so it doesn't work.

Last edited:
When I was there, it snowed so much they canceled classes. It was reported to us that "it WAS the first time they canceled classes since the civil war".

Thanks again for posting the pictures.
A couple thins I noticed were the cars, and several VW bugs. That’s what I had, and it was
pretty good in the snow.
Also there is a bike rack in one of the photos. Do they still have those?

Thanks again for posting the pictures.
A couple thins I noticed were the cars, and several VW bugs. That’s what I had, and it was
pretty good in the snow.
Also there is a bike rack in one of the photos. Do they still have those?
I walked through the Moore Hall archway at Homecoming to specifically check out that area, and I don't remember. I lived on the 4th floor of Moore my sophomore year, it was great, there are only four rooms up there.

Is that a yellow Ford pinto?
It's a Vega. Belonged to a fraternity brother of mine who is now a successful attorney, splitting his time between Chicago and Florida.

There were about 7-8 of us in Pika who had Vegas during the 72-76 period.

It's a Vega. Belonged to a fraternity brother of mine who is now a successful attorney, splitting his time between Chicago and Florida.

There were about 7-8 of us in Pika who had Vegas during the 72-76 period.
I had a fire engine orange VW bug. The bug stored the battery under the back seat, where the battery acid leaked. The floors rusted out. I had convinced a date to come back to my dorm. Taking a short cut through that same parking lot, I drove through a massive mud puddle, which congregated next to Pitt field. Water curled through the floor, and in a pincer, surrounded and engulfed my date. I laughed uncontrollably. Incensed, she insisted I take her to her dorm. She never spoke to me again.

I was a towny and it was soph year. I believe heard about school shutting down from WLEE 600 AM
which was good local news station. Think it was also broadcast station for Spider sports. Let me tell you
coming down faculty drive or boatright from three chopt
was not a lot of fun either.

Reactions: Gallipoli
I was a towny and it was soph year. I believe heard about school shutting down from WLEE 600 AM
which was good local news station. Think it was also broadcast station for Spider sports. Let me tell you
coming down faculty drive or boatright from three chopt
was not a lot of fun either.
Yeah, driving in Richmond in snow was always an adventure. We snowbelt Yankees knew how to but the locals were somewhat challenged.

Can't imagine anything much worse than an icy, slick Snake Road.

Yeah, driving in Richmond in snow was always an adventure. We snowbelt Yankees knew how to but the locals were somewhat challenged.

Can't imagine anything much worse than an icy, slick Snake Road.
Just getting off of campus was a good trick in the snow. But, somehow we always made it to the bar. LOL
Driving back? We just slid down the hill. LOL

Phil’s was conveniently not far.
And the Hitchin' Post, and that place on the north side of Patterson near Libbie.

I still go to the Continental (Phil's) every time I'm in town. It obviously has changed, but it's still pretty darn close to what it was in my era.

Reactions: urfan1
And the Hitchin' Post, and that place on the north side of Patterson near Libbie.

I still go to the Continental (Phil's) every time I'm in town. It obviously has changed, but it's still pretty darn close to what it was in my era.
cheap beer and an order of shoestring fries

cheap beer and an order of shoestring fries
Wood Hall I think they were also known for their club sandwiches. I have been in there once in the last few years when back in town for a game. Remember taking a date to see Rocky at the Westhampton Theater and then walking next door to Phil's. Those were the days.

Reactions: urfan1 and whampas
Oh, the club is still my go-to. They also still have the Sailor Sandwich.

Brings back good memories every time I visit there. And the shops are all filled and some housing is being rehabbed in that neighborhood, which my Richmond friends tell me is "hot.'

Oh, the club is still my go-to. They also still have the Sailor Sandwich.

Brings back good memories every time I visit there. And the shops are all filled and some housing is being rehabbed in that neighborhood, which my Richmond friends tell me is "hot.'
When i was 7 my mother worked at the Muhleman Building. So, during the summer I'd cross the street for the Sailor sandwich....

Reactions: Wood Hall
Wood Hall I think they were also known for their club sandwiches. I have been in there once in the last few years when back in town for a game. Remember taking a date to see Rocky at the Westhampton Theater and then walking next door to Phil's. Those were the days.
The Westhampton is now a Taste restaurant, which is pretty good, BTW.

The Westhampton is now a Taste restaurant, which is pretty good, BTW.
That whole part of Grove Avenue has seriously upgraded, it's been packed with diners and shoppers every time I've been back in the last 4-5 years.

Mr. Fey, in vest and hat, often with a cane, dreaming he was putting on the Las Vegas Allstar girls.

Think I was dragged there once...twice...well maybe more. 😉

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT