ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Bill Walton passes

To those of us with Pac-8, Pac-10 and Pac-12 ties, and Oregon ties, this hits hard. He's an icon in the Pac-12 and in our state, and was one of the nicest, most loyal and most genuine people you could have ever wanted to meet.

He was often on campus with the Pac-12 Network and treated us working minions with the utmost respect. He frequently did the local radio talk shows, was the conference's biggest booster and not afraid to express his dismay with UCLA's decision to leave the league.

His broadcasting was often an acquired taste, but he spoke from the heart. If you took a drink every time he said "Conference of Champions," you were hammered by halftime. He called the Big Ten and Big 12 "truck stop" destinations. He loved students and young people, and never stopped trying to learn.

This country has lost a great human being.

I was lucky enough to meet Bill Walton in San Antonio in 2018. Rode the elevator up with him and just that minute was enough to validate that he was as genuine as who you saw and heard on Pac12 broadcasts. He’ll be missed and I’ll be listening to some Dick’s Picks in his honor.

I was lucky enough to meet Bill Walton in San Antonio in 2018. Rode the elevator up with him and just that minute was enough to validate that he was as genuine as who you saw and heard on Pac12 broadcasts. He’ll be missed and I’ll be listening to some Dick’s Picks in his honor.
Give 85 at the Richmond Colosseum a listen if you haven’t already. It’s one of DP.

Reactions: plydogg
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT