ADVERTISEMENT

One week to signing day-Feb 3rd

32counter

Spider's Club
Apr 8, 2008
Siesta Key,FL
National Signing Day is February 3, and less than one month away, college football fans will hear all sorts of vague terminology that relates to contact between coaches and high school seniors.

They make it tough for college coaches to evaluate prospects. The following are limited by the NCAA at various times of the year: prospects visiting a college campus (officially or unofficially), coaches visiting a prospect's school, coaches visiting a prospect's home, written communication, and electronic communication.

Contact period

The most wide-open time. During this time, coaches can visit with prospects and families regardless of location. In-person contact is permitted once per week. Note that a coach cannot visit a school multiple times in one week if it has more than one prospect. Electronic and written communications are also permitted.

This is when tales of coaches praising Mama's cooking are born, during in-home visits.

Evaluation period

Considerably more restrictive than the contact period in one key way: off campus face-to-face contact is not permitted. That means no home visits. Coaches can still visit a prospect's school. Visits to schools are ostensibly for the purpose of evaluation. Prospects can visit colleges and receive written and electronic communication. Many scholarship offers go out in this period.

Quiet period

The quiet period tightens things a bit more, preventing any off-campus contact or viewing. Visits to the college's campus and written or electronic communications are still permitted.

Coaches often try to have prospects visit campus unofficially during this time in the spring and early summer, so that they can become familiar with campus.

Dead period

The dead period is the most restrictive. No in-person contact is allowed, even if a prospect makes a visit to the college campus. Written and electronic communications are still permitted.

And yet, prospects still do decide to commit to schools in late December and early January, often because they've considered all their options, taken all their visits, and are ready to pull the trigger.

Recruiting calendar

Using 2015-2016 as an example, here's a simplified version, though it obviously changes slightly from year to year:

Date and period Visit prospect's school Visit prospect outside of school Prospect can visit university & meet w/ coaches

8/1/15 - 11/28/15 Quiet
9/1/15 - 11/30/15 Evaluation (42 select days)
11/29/15 - 12/13/15 Contact
12/14/15 - 1/13/16 Dead
1/14/16 - 1/30/16 Contact
1/31/16 Quiet
2/1/16 - 2/4/16 Dead
2/5/16 - 4/14/16 Quiet
4/15/16-5/31/16 Evaluation
6/1/16 - 6/26/16 Quiet
6/27/16 - 7/10/16 Dead
7/11/16 - 7/31/16 Quiet

Note that between 12/13/15 and 1/13/16, admitted mid-year enrollees who have signed financial aid paperwork with the college are governed by contact period rules.

With Ritcher and High graduating believe we are in need of signing at least 2 Offensive Linemen.None on the Board as of yet.

I agree we need a little more beef in this class. I wonder if we intend to use Taz Sumpter as an OL or DL. I'm guessing the prior.

It seems that after all is said and done that we end up with people we were not aware we were recruiting and I would
bet there are some big boys in that bunch of unknowns.

Someone suggested on another thread that JMU had a few good OL players signed, but they may now be open to attending a better school, like UR. Hope our coaches are at least reaching out to JMU commits, to see if they are now to an offer. We could use two or three incoming OLs, and JMU "board" is definitely not a bad place to take a good look! Better UR than Texas State and Withers, wouldn't you think?

Adam Samee tweeted today that he'd be announcing a decision this week.

Check out @loganblake76 on Twitter. Video of 505 lb squat and 390 pound bench last summer. Both LCA records.

Last edited:
Adam would be an extremely BIG addition to an already fine UR class.

Adam made 1st team FL All State Class 3A:

http://www.naplesnews.com/sports/hi...22-d7d9-54cf-e053-0100007f109c-364244391.html

Adam's offers:Akron,Bowling Green,Kent State,Ohio,UR,Samford,Stetson,Fordham.

While Stetson resides in the non football scholarship Pioneer Football League,Adam is likely eligible for a full academic scholarship.DeLand is 150 miles from Clearwater.

Samford in the Southern Conference is located near Birmingham,AL 600 miles from Clearwater.

Fordham is a Patriot League member whose HC left for Penn State as its OC.

All others are MAC members with Terry Bowden at Akron,Frank Solich at Ohio.

Adam received UR offer on 6/9/15,visited on 6/12/15 and 1/15/16.

Contact period ends January 30,2016.

Last edited:
Great pic of Rocco with Adam and dad on his twitter feed.

Based on numbers, that might be it for this class. We closed well late with the linemen.

Anybody have our almost "final" list of recruits handy, that could be posted here? Am especially interested in the latest list of O-Linemen and running backs...

The full list is hidden in first post of the 2016 recruiting thread pinned on this board. Good luck.

Mo, Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

From what I can see, the #6 recruit is listed as de-committed, along with the #16. The #16 is listed as now a JMU commit. Is this one directly related to Trott's departure? Also, the list is shown as last updated on December 24th, but that looks like it could be an error. Is the current list (updated on Dec 24th) in fact the latest?
Am hoping we can close strong, and fill any openings, including the one created by the recent transfer.

Logan Blake decommitted FROM JMU and committed to us after Withers left.

Hamilton Day decommited from us and decided to head to Dartmouth.

Not sure why the post shows a last updated date from December. Those at the bottom of the list were added very recently, including Adam Samee just last Wednesday. Read through the thread to see when each guy committed.

I probably should have said less work to leave it on with certain threads

Should probably just delete Hamilton Day since he's committed elsewhere.

I felt like others may want to have a record in one place of what happened.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT