ADVERTISEMENT

One-time transfer rule

Definitely doesn’t seem like a rule change that is going to help the current coaching regime. Personally, I am not in favor of this particular change because it seems like it will lead to more players following coaches when they take a new job. There is already enough turnover on college teams, since (until recently) a player only has four years of eligibility. Do not like one and dones because of instability too, preferring a more cohesive team.

I have always preferred college sports to pro sports. As we continue on a path to where the distinction between the two disappears, I think I'm growing more inclined to just follow pro sports.

Last edited:
This really won’t make things that much different than they already were. If you pay attention to college sports almost all the transfers at the power 5 level seem to find a waiver for how they can get out of having to sit a year. Most of those waiver excuses were not legitimate at all but were still granted. The one that still gets me is tate Martell transferring from Ohio State to Miami coincidentally right after Justin Fields transferred in from UGA (who also had a BS waiver) and said his reasoning for needing to play right away was that he was emotionally traumatized from his coach urban Meyer retiring.

This really won’t make things that much different than they already were. If you pay attention to college sports almost all the transfers at the power 5 level seem to find a waiver for how they can get out of having to sit a year. Most of those waiver excuses were not legitimate at all but were still granted. The one that still gets me is tate Martell transferring from Ohio State to Miami coincidentally right after Justin Fields transferred in from UGA (who also had a BS waiver) and said his reasoning for needing to play right away was that he was emotionally traumatized from his coach urban Meyer retiring.
Wasn't Martell moving 'back home to be with a sick grandparent' or something like that? I agree that some waiver excuses were certainly bogus ... but it was a hurdle presented. Now it's pure free agency.

I'd think this will have a particularly harmful effect for FCS football programs.

Reactions: urfan1
Rothstein or someone yesterday was making a big deal about D2 to D1 transfers now being immediately eligible too, as if this was something we should pay close attention to for some reason. Weren't they already immediately eligible?

Rothstein or someone yesterday was making a big deal about D2 to D1 transfers now being immediately eligible too, as if this was something we should pay close attention to for some reason. Weren't they already immediately eligible?
No, D-II to D-I transfers had to sit unless they got a waiver or were a grad transfer.

But Rothstein still made a bit of a fool out of himself...he was making the deal about D-II to D-I transfers in the context of a guy transferring out of UC San Diego. He didn't realize that UCSD had moved up to D-I this year, so he had to redo his tweet after everybody piled on him.

well I guess we can get used to 1400 transfers per year now.
it does make April a bit more interesting.

Wasn't Martell moving 'back home to be with a sick grandparent' or something like that? I agree that some waiver excuses were certainly bogus ... but it was a hurdle presented. Now it's pure free agency.

I'd think this will have a particularly harmful effect for FCS football programs.
I don’t think he pulled that one for transferring to miami. I know he’s from Vegas and I believe is transferring to unlv now so he may have had to come up with another reason to be wleigible immediately.

I could see the impact in many ways but here two to think of right away.

1) Kids putting names in portal to gauge interest from bigger programs. Lets say a kid at UR has a good year and is only a sophmore. They may put their name in the portal just to see - does a Kentucky, or UNC, or Duke come calling? I can see a lot more kids putting their names in the portal just to see who might be interested.
2) Recruiting - old school recruiting said use all of your scholarships on HS kids, but now I can see coaches keeping 1-2 scholarships in their pocket at any given moment in hopes of landing transfers from year to year. With 1400 kids in the portal and that number might grow - you probably have just as many transfer kids to recruit as you do HS kids.

Reactions: kneepadmckinney
With 1400 kids in the portal and that number might grow - you probably have just as many transfer kids to recruit as you do HS kids.
And most of that activity happens within about a period of a month or two, compared to high school where you can be developing a relationship with a kid for a couple of years or more.

Exactly SFspidur - which means coaches will have to have a scholarship in their pocket to hand out to these transfers since you have to wait till the end of the year.

I think you could also see a lot more of coaches pressuring kids to leave and transfer as well to make room. If you man 10-11 on a team and not playing and taking up space, I could see more and more coaches suggesting you go elsewhere.

) Recruiting - old school recruiting said use all of your scholarships on HS kids, but now I can see coaches keeping 1-2 scholarships in their pocket at any given moment in hopes of landing transfers from year to year.
This is true. Know a kid who was a borderline d1 recruit. Talking to his dad had two low major d1s talking to him. Both liked him and basically said he had a scholarship, but had to wait for transfer market to shake out before they would commit. And that was last year. Ended up going d2 because he did not want to wait.

Were players not already allowed to transfer without the penalty year from FCS to FBS? I know they were able to go from FBS to FCS without penalty, and just assumed it was a 2 way street.

Nope, you had to sit if transferring FCS to FBS.

Generally speaking, you didn’t have to sit if transferring “down,” but if transferring at same level or “up,” you had to sit.

Reactions: nathanw19
2) Recruiting - old school recruiting said use all of your scholarships on HS kids, but now I can see coaches keeping 1-2 scholarships in their pocket at any given moment in hopes of landing transfers from year to year. With 1400 kids in the portal and that number might grow - you probably have just as many transfer kids to recruit as you do HS kids.
this year is different because seniors can come back, but in general the number of transfers should have no impact on the number of HS kids recruited.

HS kids replace the graduating class. so each year 1100-1200 kids graduate and the same number of HS kids get D1 scholarships (hoops). or actually a little more since some kids leave without finishing their eligibility.

I personally like the rule change. I think it provides equity in transfers instead making exceptions for high profile players who are able to hire attorneys to make a hardship case for them (see: Justin Fields).

Reactions: MrTbone and Zeeter
this year is different because seniors can come back, but in general the number of transfers should have no impact on the number of HS kids recruited.

HS kids replace the graduating class. so each year 1100-1200 kids graduate and the same number of HS kids get D1 scholarships (hoops). or actually a little more since some kids leave without finishing their eligibility.
But the difference is before - your senior class graduating, if you took a transfer - you had to wait a year for that kid. So they were not really replacing your current senior class. Now - you could have 4 kids graduate, and get 2 HS kids and 2 transfers and all 4 of them can play right away next year to replace those graduating seniors.
And I think your more willing to take a transfer who is a rising junior or senior because they can play right away. In the past - it didn't make a lot of sense to have a kid sit a year to play 1 year, maybe 2 years. But now - since they can play right away, take the transfer. It if doesn't work - they will be gone anways, 1 year sooner and not eating up a scholarship.

I agree it leads to more kids on your 13 man roster being able to play since there's no redshirt year.

I'm just saying it has no effect on the total number of HS kids getting D1 scholarships (excluding the double senior year thing this year).

It might result in less kids going D1 if coaches decide to keep a scholarship in their pocket for post-season transfer portal. I think coaches will rethink their recruiting strategy. Instead of recruiting maybe 50 HS kids each year, you might just look at 30 and have your eye on the transfer portal. Again - the question will be - do you hand out all your scholarships to HS kids and just think - well, if one our kids transfers, we can use that scholarship to look at an incoming transfer. OR - do you keep a scholarship or two in your pocket (which means less HS kids) and decide to look at transfer portal. Its a gamble - because you don't know who will be in the portal until the year is over. And you don't know who will be interested in your school or what kids will transfer from your school - which could change your immediate needs drastically.

It will be very soon that these kids will be paid to transfer. There will be bidding wars for them.

• Sad
Reactions: 8legs1dream
ADVERTISEMENT