ADVERTISEMENT

Off-Season News

spiderstudent17

Team Manager
Mar 25, 2015
Thought I would start a thread to consolidate all news pertaining to Spider Football this offseason. For starters, I saw this article by JOC. Anyone want to give the gist of the article?

I'm impressed, significant changes after a losing season..I didn't think UR coaches did that? HINT, HINT.

These two backs will be difference makers. Each has size, speed and power. They are both driven to succeed and will push each other to be better players.

Reactions: MolivaManiac
It may have been pure speculation, but I thought I recalled that Thompson was not coming back next year. Would be nice to have him here another year.

Reactions: 32counter
We definitely missed Xavier`s talent in the backfield last year. His heart and toughness are extremely important as we mold this new culture for next year's squad. Winning teams are formed during the off-season and we have a bunch of guys working hard at this point to make that happen.

Reactions: urfan1
As is always the case, it starts (and stops) with the line play. There is certainly enough talent in the skilled positions to be an offensive juggernaut. There is a stable of backs (AD could be special) to run the ball (including a quarterback who led the team in rushing last year with limited snaps). If opposing defenses are made to respect the running game, the passing game will fall into place. So, when, and if, the beef shows up, the team will be playoff-worthy offensively.

Last edited:
Reactions: I-M-UR
How productive has he been down there?

Rocco recruit that left to go play for Huesman? Is that it? I remember the name, sans the Hawk part.

maybe i am a bit impatient , but it seems so far the upgrades and changes i was expecting are a little underwhelming , but i know its early in the proscess so i will keep the faith, and hope for a much better year,

maybe i am a bit impatient , but it seems so far the upgrades and changes i was expecting are a little underwhelming , but i know its early in the proscess so i will keep the faith, and hope for a much better year,

No assistant coaching changes/reassignments announced publically.

6-8 new signees likely on Feb 6 in addition to 13 already signed.

1 graduate WR transfer signed.Likely 2 additional graduate transfer signees expected.

No QB graduate transfer announced.Has to be a priority for staff(and fans).

Last edited:
32 I've only counted 13 signed so far. One decommited to UNC. The 2019 roster in now on line. I note several omissions from 2018 roster who have eligibility left. Deontez Thompson RB, Duncan Rogers DB, Jacob Robertson DB, Paul Padolino LB, Will Geraghty TE, Andree Booker DL, & Cody Gray are not listed. We know that Samari Springs & Cortrellle Simpson decided not to return. If we hope to get to 90 players in 2019 we need to get close to 30 additions unless some of the above are omitted by oversight.

Including the freshmen signees we have so far, I counted a roster of 69 as of now for next year. The 2019 roster has not included the WR transfer from Northwestern, so we are really at 70 so far. I anticipate we sign about 7 more players/transfers and will likely add a couple of walk-ons to finish out with a roster size of 80 by the start of next year.

Glad to see Dejon Brissett coming back for his final year here.

Including the freshmen signees we have so far, I counted a roster of 69 as of now for next year. The 2019 roster has not included the WR transfer from Northwestern, so we are really at 70 so far. I anticipate we sign about 7 more players/transfers and will likely add a couple of walk-ons to finish out with a roster size of 80 by the start of next year.

Glad to see Dejon Brissett coming back for his final year here.
Great news on Brissett, now we need a QB that can get him the ball.

Reactions: spiderhawk111
Big blow to our recruiting abilities if this happens.Parents of recruits love this guy.
This is obviously not the off season coaching change that Russ wanted.
according to his bio on Wikipedia, its looks like a done deal

Big blow to our recruiting abilities if this happens.Parents of recruits love this guy.
This is obviously not the off season coaching change that Russ wanted.
Agreed. I wanted to like your post, but "thumbs up" seems an inappropriate expression.

Hopefully Sparky was mentoring someone on our team for his position with recruiting. I can imagine that since he covers
a heavy part of UNC recruiting area he is very well respected by the HS coaches. But face it Sparky is closer to retirement then anything else, so how much longer would he have been at UR.

This would not be a positive change....
And you might think that if russ was making even one change, it would have been done by now. his coordinators up-rooted their families to join and support him, figure it would be a tough decision for any of us

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT