ADVERTISEMENT

Off Season Grade

Reactions: Section9.RowD
Last edited:
I think this is going to be a slow start to the season while all the new pieces gel, and then finish on an upswing at the end. Maybe good enough to make an A10 tourney run, but might skip on some banana peels in non-conference. Gilyard was a coach on the floor. That’s a lot to replace. Mooney is still the biggest liability of this whole program, so if he keeps a low profile it will be fine.
a new young PG whether it's Jason or Dji will likely be the biggest adjustment. luckily both have at least been in the program for a while.

I don't see a problem with the other pieces gelling. yes, there are 3 new guys being added in June but they're not freshmen. Quinn and Bigelow have been at this a few years. Roche just one.
but they're smart guys. they're at Richmond. and it's just basketball. there's a lot of time working together before the first game.

B+? Your rating scale in unrealistic.

What A10 team had a better net result form the transfer portal than U of R? Also, there are approximate 200 to 250 non power conference teams. Can you name 5 that had better net results from the portal? I think the answer to the first question is none and the answer to the second question is there are not 5 non power conferences teams that had better net results from the portal. The coaching staff knocked it out of the park. They deserve a solid A and probably and A+.

Many on this board were talking about high single digit wins for next year, 6 weeks ago, which was way to negative. With these 3 pickups we are looking at a very good team not only next year, but the following year.
A couple points.

1. Most A-10 schools are not finished with their classes yet, so lets see how the Dayton, Davidson, SLU, and VCU's of the world do before we definitively declare that no other A-10 program has a better net result from the transfer portal.
2. Second grade was given before Trevor Smith commitment. Granted he isn't coming until 2023, so maybe he goes on next year's grading scale, but Smith is probably one of Mooney most highly rated high school recruits ever, I think the B+ could go up.

Mooney and staff have done a fabulous job in the portal and with our first recruit in 2023. They seem to maximizing the recruitment benefits of the NCAA run and doing it early while it is still fresh in every recruits mind. I know it was 23's, B+ you were responding to. I might be in the mood to upgrade to an A- or even A, but I'm gonna wait until the rosters are set for other A-10 schools before doing so. I do still think a strong power forward player is the one missing link though.

I already upgraded to a B++. I don't know how Spiderdad grades :), but now it seems kids can get 108 on a test, and have 4.72 GPA's out of 4. 80's likely is not a very hard grader. Would have liked him when I was in school, just like I enjoyed Dr. Ramsey Kleff and his course work.

Couple of ways this could have been better: 1) Same skill sets for all three, but more athletic. I think all three overcome this a bit because all have + positional size, if you consider Bigelow as a wing, and Roche as a shooting guard. 2) three are slightly suspect because I have no idea how they can move their feet and willingness to defend??? 3) All are moving up to a more competitive league - i.e. can they translate what they did in previous league to a very competitive A10?

Sooo, yes if we were bringing in the top guys, and they were super athletes, and had proven it in a higher league, and were known as good defenders, and were a Bryce Golden type of position/size/athlete - I would have gladly handed out an A, even A+. But I am glad to revisit at a later date, so 80's can be happy with his cronies pq and moon.

And yes, I officially upgrade to a B++ based on the Trevor Smith signing. If we land a rivals/espn top 100 PF, will gladly upgrade to an A.

A couple points.

1. Most A-10 schools are not finished with their classes yet, so lets see how the Dayton, Davidson, SLU, and VCU's of the world do before we definitively declare that no other A-10 program has a better net result from the transfer portal.
2. Second grade was given before Trevor Smith commitment. Granted he isn't coming until 2023, so maybe he goes on next year's grading scale, but Smith is probably one of Mooney most highly rated high school recruits ever, I think the B+ could go up.

Mooney and staff have done a fabulous job in the portal and with our first recruit in 2023. They seem to maximizing the recruitment benefits of the NCAA run and doing it early while it is still fresh in every recruits mind. I know it was 23's, B+ you were responding to. I might be in the mood to upgrade to an A- or even A, but I'm gonna wait until the rosters are set for other A-10 schools before doing so. I do still think a strong power forward player is the one missing link though.
What? Who is this and what have you done with 97spiderfan??

I will grade this year’s off season once they have taken the test. They haven’t even showed up for class yet.

Just pray he doesn’t want to go this year.
I would never pray for that. How selfish could you possibly be to do that? Hope he comes back? Sure, but pray? No. I will pray he stays healthy and makes the best decision for himself.

Reactions: urfan1
I would never pray for that. How selfish could you possibly be to do that? Hope he comes back? Sure, but pray? No. I will pray he stays healthy and makes the best decision for himself.
I pray he comes back so 7000 of us don’t have to suffer through another 12-20 season.

You suffered and were miserable all last season, and we made the dance. So, why does it even matter?
And you hid in your hole when things were not looking good the last month of the season. After the unlikely run to the A10 Championship you came back for a victory lap. The miracle run to the A10 Championship, while enjoyable, doesn't forgive the largely underwhelming results of the CM Era. K may be a little over the top at times, but his worries about the direction of the program are totally justified. Hopefully the transfers are as advertised and maybe finally CM has turned the program in the right direction.

And you hid in your hole when things were not looking good the last month of the season. After the unlikely run to the A10 Championship you came back for a victory lap. The miracle run to the A10 Championship, while enjoyable, doesn't forgive the largely underwhelming results of the CM Era.
Glad I'm not the only one that noticed it.

he probably got tired of being told how stupid he was for believing in the coach and team this year.
How true. VT4700 you are typically correct on what you post and many on this board don't like it because it does go along with their negative view on life.

Grade: A. Landed 3 great transfers and a top 150 recruit! Don't overthink it. Competition at every position, deep roster, nice job by Mooney and staff!
Solid B+ :). Like aspects of all three transfers. Worried that two of them may be defensive liabilities - yes I value that side of the court than most on here. But look how our defense carried us the last two weeks and solidified with Goose in the line up. BUT, Roche probably moves better than a post injury Sherod, Bigelow I think can play D and brings rebounding and some shooting and length. Quin I'm a little worried about on D, but he is a legit 7 feet and solid, with offensive skill. Good news is that we were able to win some recruiting battles, that was nice.

But look how our defense carried us the last two weeks and solidified with Goose in the line up.
our defense played well and Goose deserves some credit, but for most of the run it was Gilyard strapping us on his back offensively.

we're a very different team going forward. no matter how well the young PGs play, we can't expect that kind of scoring from the position this year. so we've got to make up those points somewhere else. we don't win games when we score in the 50s.

our defense played well and Goose deserves some credit, but for most of the run it was Gilyard strapping us on his back offensively.

we're a very different team going forward. no matter how well the young PGs play, we can't expect that kind of scoring from the position this year. so we've got to make up those points somewhere else. we don't win games when we score in the 50s.
Right, and defensive integrity can help us win some.

Reactions: plydogg

This is why Goose comes off bench.

watching the dance, one thing stuck out as normal, elite defensive teams move forward-- As the great one said, built for March!
Agree. Been banging that drum for years as you know. We lose all time NCAA steals leader but we we can put some lineups out there with some length and ability to defend, especially if Burton gets a little better on that end. Line up with Dji, Goose, Burton, Bigelow 1 to 4 could be interesting for stretches.

Reactions: SpiderDogg
I already upgraded to a B++. I don't know how Spiderdad grades :), but now it seems kids can get 108 on a test, and have 4.72 GPA's out of 4. 80's likely is not a very hard grader. Would have liked him when I was in school, just like I enjoyed Dr. Ramsey Kleff and his course work.

Couple of ways this could have been better: 1) Same skill sets for all three, but more athletic. I think all three overcome this a bit because all have + positional size, if you consider Bigelow as a wing, and Roche as a shooting guard. 2) three are slightly suspect because I have no idea how they can move their feet and willingness to defend??? 3) All are moving up to a more competitive league - i.e. can they translate what they did in previous league to a very competitive A10?

Sooo, yes if we were bringing in the top guys, and they were super athletes, and had proven it in a higher league, and were known as good defenders, and were a Bryce Golden type of position/size/athlete - I would have gladly handed out an A, even A+. But I am glad to revisit at a later date, so 80's can be happy with his cronies pq and moon.

And yes, I officially upgrade to a B++ based on the Trevor Smith signing. If we land a rivals/espn top 100 PF, will gladly upgrade to an A.
Haha. I legit laughed at “80's likely is not a very hard grader”

agree with all of your points.

Gilly scored 13.2 pts/game in 21-22 (admitted 17.4 in our 5 game run). Reasonably confident Wilson and Dji can match 13.2/game.

Would be more worried about lacking an experienced coach on the floor that totally understands and optimizes Mooney's system.

Gilly scored 13.2 pts/game in 21-22 (admitted 17.4 in our 5 game run). Reasonably confident Wilson and Dji can match 13.2/game.

Would be more worried about lacking an experienced coach on the floor that totally understands and optimizes Mooney's system.
I was pointing out that the run coincided with Gilly playing his best ball. that his offense was key. we lose to VCU without Gilly going nuts with 32. run's over after 1 win. petitions are signed. billboards are leased. transfer portal doesn't go as well.

I'm not confident in 13.2 ppg from the point next season. that's aggressive. Gilly hit 94 three pointers.
also, Gilly's assist plus steals exceeded his turnovers by 248. I'll take the under this year. we have to make up for that assumed lost production somewhere.

I was pointing out that the run coincided with Gilly playing his best ball. that his offense was key. we lose to VCU without Gilly going nuts with 32. run's over after 1 win. petitions are signed. billboards are leased. transfer portal doesn't go as well.

I'm not confident in 13.2 ppg from the point next season. that's aggressive. Gilly hit 94 three pointers.
also, Gilly's assist plus steals exceeded his turnovers by 248. I'll take the under this year. we have to make up for that assumed lost production somewhere.
A+

Burton
Grace
Gustavson

Quinn
Bigelow
Roche

Trevor Smith

This is probably better than any reasonable best case scenario we would have come up with a few months ago. Everything went our way, even with transfers out. We had so much good news that the board barely got excited when we landed top 150 recruit Trevor Smith. Quinn is a huge pickup -- could be just as good or better than Golden. Roche is a 40% 3 point shooter and 91% FT shooter. Bigelow is another legit A10 starter who can shoot and rebound. And then we get starters Burton and Gustavson back, along with key reserve front-court player Grace.

A+

Burton
Grace
Gustavson

Quinn
Bigelow
Roche

Trevor Smith

This is probably better than any reasonable best case scenario we would have come up with a few months ago. Everything went our way, even with transfers out. We had so much good news that the board barely got excited when we landed top 150 recruit Trevor Smith. Quinn is a huge pickup -- could be just as good or better than Golden. Roche is a 40% 3 point shooter and 91% FT shooter. Bigelow is another legit A10 starter who can shoot and rebound. And then we get starters Burton and Gustavson back, along with key reserve front-court player Grace.
Well said - I think we're all feeling just a bit giddy this morning .... 5 months and 5 days to the VMI opener at RC

I will give Mooney a B for this year’s off season. I think he did the best he is able to do. We lost
most of the staff and got transfers from Lafayette, the Citadel and Wofford. We only signed one true freshman who will probably be redshirted. Finally we were a gnat’s ass from losing our best player. Let’s keep all these young men healthy and in school so that we can see what we have. Looking forward to it in November.

Last edited:
A+

Burton
Grace
Gustavson

Quinn
Bigelow
Roche

Trevor Smith

+ Collin Tanner
+ Matt Reed

We seem to be recruiting just fine with the new assistants.

A+

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT