ADVERTISEMENT

Northern Iowa game observations

97spiderfan

Spider's Club
Feb 2, 2005
My takeaways from yesterday.

1. Tyler Burton is a bad bad man. I said at the beginning of the year that he would be the best player on this team, but that was a tad tongue in cheek, as I thought with Grant and Gilly out there, Tyler would still be option 2 or 3 on this team. But it is pretty clear, Tyler is playing on a different level right now, like an A-10 POY type of level.

2. Did I see us playing defense yesterday, why I think I did. Yeah, Northern Iowa missed a ton of shots but I thought we actually guarded them pretty well. I didn't see too many wide open or flying dutchman closeouts. We got beat a few times on defense (Tyler got victimized a few times, one of which he then stuffed the guy at the rim on an incredible block).

3. I thought Wilson had a pretty nice floor game. Played his usual great defense, but also contributed nicely on offense.

4. Bench minutes were odd. Crabtree only with 3 minutes, while Sal had 4. Sherod got the most bench minutes, which is surprising considering he was 1-7 from the field and 0-5 from 3. He did grab a bunch of boards.

5. Credit for to Mooney for giving Gilly some rest during this game. I think we had Zay and Dji in when he wasn't. I think those guys sufficiently handled their business with Gilly on the bench. Let's hope that continues, it helps all 3 players.

Let's not mistake Northern Iowa for a great team though. There are 2-5 (they did somehow beat St. Bonny, but have also lost to Nicholls and Bradley). They also were missing their second leading scorer yesterday. But after the disaster in the Bahamas, two straight road wins should be making this team feel pretty good.

Seems like each game now post-Bahamas is moving ever so slightly on an upward trajectory...especially on the defensive side of things. If we keep grinding the gears together, they're starting to work in sync. Keep adding to the W column in December and we're ready for the new year with conference play.

What also helped us in the Northern Iowa game - we somehow managed to have our dreaded scoring drought at the end of the first half instead of the end of the 2nd half. We went 5 minutes without scoring right before half (from about 6 minutes to 1 minute). Northern Iowa closed the gap, but we were able to take control and catch fire in the 2nd half.

4. Bench minutes were odd. Crabtree only with 3 minutes, while Sal had 4. Sherod got the most bench minutes, which is surprising considering he was 1-7 from the field and 0-5 from 3. He did grab a bunch of boards.
No surprise Nick got the most bench minutes. 1) We all know CM is extremely loyal to long term players and 2) Nick can light up from three point land. No, he didn't yesterday, and has been inconsistent so far this year, but there have been several games off the bench when he made significant & immediate impacts. He can pour points in when hot. Do we wish that would be every game - yes. However, he's going to have to find his stroke consistently. Yesterday was not one of those days, but you don't know that until you know. I have no doubt he'll be a big contributor as the season moves forward.

It was a win, which I will always take. We did some things well and made some shots in the second half. But as badly as UNI played (obviously due in part to our defense), and with a nothing crowd, that's a game we really should have won by 15-20 if we were the caliber team we hoped we'd be.

Still time to change that, but it's getting late early.

It was a win, which I will always take. We did some things well and made some shots in the second half. But as badly as UNI played (obviously due in part to our defense), and with a nothing crowd, that's a game we really should have won by 15-20 if we were the caliber team we hoped we'd be.

Still time to change that, but it's getting late early.
You should’ve typed this one up and then realized it wasn’t worth hitting “post reply”

Im just happy with the quality win!

• Haha
Reactions: Spiders4ever
Wins are better than losses............but winning against a 2 -5 UNI team does little to improve our ranking .......a loss would have hurt us ranking wise even more...but with our 5-4 record we have a ways to go to be considered other than NIT............

Reactions: Eight Legger
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT