ADVERTISEMENT

Next year team will be better than expected by this board

Staying healthy is definitely key for Dji, probably true for Crabtree also. I think Goose deciding to return really puts a dent in available minutes for Dji. I could see Nelson and Dji on the court together, but it will probably be with Goose versus in place of. We will see how it all works out as the season unfolds, but in the beginning especially I expect to see lots of Goose.
A lot of Goose is highly likely. Dji has to overcome the Mooney quick hook.

Dji can certainly play his way to more minutes, but, thus far, Mooney has shown a tendency to quickly yank him. It is going to take a lot of consistency (and likely time) to overcome that pattern.

I think it likely that he splits more minutes with Nelson than he does Goose. If Dji gets to split minutes with BOTH Nelson & Goose then he will be playing a very significant role.

Reactions: SpiderDad75

Dji can certainly play his way to more minutes, but, thus far, Mooney has shown a tendency to quickly yank him. It is going to take a lot of consistency (and likely time) to overcome that pattern.

I think it likely that he splits more minutes with Nelson than he does Goose. If Dji gets to split minutes with BOTH Nelson & Goose then he will be playing a very significant role.
Do yo have the inside scoop on personnel matters.

Reactions: jimbog

I get that and I agree with some of what you are saying...but why are you all so set on Jason being "THE' guy and are stuck on just him stepping right in...honest question..no hate. He is even less proven than Dji in terms of PT. Dji will play PG more than SG I think. They are literally the only 2 PGs we have. Do we think Jason gets 36+ minutes? I don't, I think it will be like someone else mentioned.. 20/20 at guard spot. Yes Jason is very capable I'm not saying that he isnt, I am honestly just curious. Is it bc hes from here and a lot of you have seen him during his HS years? Dji was getting close to 9 min a game before the injury and was making an impact. Jacob wasn't coming out this season and had Dji been fully healthy I believe he would have been back in spelling Jacob 1-2 min then running at the 2 but he wasn't healthy and I am glad the staff made that decision to not play him. If we look at Dji's overall play this past year...is there a game where he hurt the team and didn't make plays? I would argue no...he was just behind guys like Jacob, Goose and Nick who have been here and once he injured that ankle he lost that time. I think Jason and Dji are going to have a great career here and will compliment each other well. I just don't personally think he has a "given" spot that some on here believe and thats ok. We are still in good hands with Jason and Dji.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
I think it's mostly hopeful thinking! the unseen guy has no flaws. Jason was highly touted and we're all hoping he's another PG star.

I expect a fair competition at the point. winner gets 24 mpg, loser gets 16 mpg. and if Dji's the one getting 16 then he should also get a look at playing more time at another spot since he's long enough for the 2 or even the 3. there's a lot more competition at those spots though. only one guy to beat at the point.

SDad, it could be that many are thinking Nelson is the starting PG because during recruiting, we followed him more. He was a local guy, a star, a state player of the year, and everyone who followed us on here knew about him. With Dji, many did not know about him until his decommit from Wake. So, people were and are just more familiar with Nelson, and most of us assumed he would take over when Jacob left. Plus, when Dji did get in last year, it wasn't at the point. So, that also makes people assume Nelson will be the guy. I realize DJi has always been a PG, and could very well get similar or even more minutes than Nelson. Best guy should get the most minutes. I am only trying to give you a few reasons why many on here might be thinking Nelson.

SDad, it could be that many are thinking Nelson is the starting PG because during recruiting, we followed him more. He was a local guy, a star, a state player of the year, and everyone who followed us on here knew about him. With Dji, many did not know about him until his decommit from Wake. So, people were and are just more familiar with Nelson, and most of us assumed he would take over when Jacob left. Plus, when Dji did get in last year, it wasn't at the point. So, that also makes people assume Nelson will be the guy. I realize DJi has always been a PG, and could very well get similar or even more minutes than Nelson. Best guy should get the most minutes. I am only trying to give you a few reasons why many on here might be thinking Nelson.
That tracks and makes a lot of sense. ✊🏼

Yeah, it's nothing at all against Dji. Nelson is a guy we heard a lot about and who won state titles at two different schools here, and he fits the mold of our last few point guards – small, tough, feisty, uber talented. Kevin Anderson came in and nearly started from day one. Kendall Anthony came in and started from day one. Jacob Gilyard came in and started from day one. Nelson would be the next in line.

To those of us who didn't follow Dji in high school, he probably doesn't strike us as a typical UR point guard, simply because of his size. But I think we all view him as a talented player who can do a lot of different things. And he may well end up starting at the point, who knows. Either way, it's nice to be in a situation where we don't need a freshman PG to come in and start right away. If he does, it means he has really earned it.

All of this makes sense. It’s what I assumed as well. I don’t want anyone to take that I was hating on Jason, simply wanted insight. ✊🏼

Last edited:
Reactions: VT4700
All of this makes sense. It’s what I assumed as well. I don’t want anyone to take that I was hating on Jason, simply wanted insight. ✊🏼

also I think the 9 mpg avg u reference were inconsistent mins from Moon & they virtually all came w goose out. When goose came back & ate lot of mins Dji was unlikely to have those mins healthy or not. So I think main thing is we haven’t seen much of a role for Dji in 2 years. Big part of that is Gilyard & injuries so understandable. But when he did get in he held his own. Yes there could also be a site unseen bias at play w Nelson. But whoever the starter at pg is - & nobody should be given it- I see more like a 30/10 split. It’s Mooney’s M.O. at that position. Perhaps he adjusts that now tho based on roster options. If dji plays good D I think he’ll want to run out Dji & goose at times due to length to try and shut down a backcourt.

Reactions: gospidersgo
I see more like a 30/10 split. It’s Mooney’s M.O. at that position.
I'd say playing two pg-types together is more of his M.O.
I just don't know if that'll happen this year with other options available at the 2.

I'd say playing two pg-types together is more of his M.O.
I just don't know if that'll happen this year with other options available at the 2.

but u mentioned 24 for starting pg, some here have said 20/20. I see whoever wins it getting heavier minutes at the "1". maybe early in year it would be a little different. He has run out two pg types in past, I think mainly been the byproduct of trying to get his best players on the court and in many years those have just been two smaller guards, whether points or combo guards. If Dji one of the best yes he'd do it again.

yeah, I said 24 assuming it's a close battle. I think in the past the starting PG was substantially better than the backup. I hope both are great this year.

Yeah, it's nothing at all against Dji. Nelson is a guy we heard a lot about and who won state titles at two different schools here, and he fits the mold of our last few point guards – small, tough, feisty, uber talented. Kevin Anderson came in and nearly started from day one. Kendall Anthony came in and started from day one. Jacob Gilyard came in and started from day one. Nelson would be the next in line.

To those of us who didn't follow Dji in high school, he probably doesn't strike us as a typical UR point guard, simply because of his size. But I think we all view him as a talented player who can do a lot of different things. And he may well end up starting at the point, who knows. Either way, it's nice to be in a situation where we don't need a freshman PG to come in and start right away. If he does, it means he has really earned it.
Well, as an high school coach I had the good fortunate to coach both big and average pt guards. Dji is our diamond in the rough. We must learn to ride the success🏀🏀💯😃🕷🕸

Kendall Anthony didn’t start day 1…

Reactions: gospidersgo
Believe Kendall had like 18 in his first college game tho, and Moon loved him from Day 1, even if he did chew him out a ton the first year or two. Was 6th man I think as a freshmen (and maybe part of soph year) as Ced had the lead guard spot locked down.

I remember an A10 tourney game - possibly even the infamous Charlotte game, think it likely was that game - where early in the game Kendall threw a long upcourt pass from the backcourt that got deflected out of bounds. Moon immediately yanks him, stops him before he gets to bench and screams "You don't start the offense from back there" and then immediately reinserts him into the game without him ever actually reaching the bench. Heard it all from the stands at Barclays. Classic Moon but a lesson for this year's PGs - don't mess with Moon's offense and don't turn it over (or almost turn it over) stupidly.

Reactions: VT4700
Kendall Anthony didn’t start day 1…
He didn't consistently start until after OOC play year 3, but he was awesome. Probably seemed like he started to some because he played so much, and was so good. I got ridiculed on here for saying Roche could get 28 minutes without starting, but Kendall got 28+ about 15 times without starting.

He didn't consistently start until after OOC play year 3, but he was awesome. Probably seemed like he started to some because he played so much, and was so good.I got ridiculed on here for saying Roche could get 28 minutes without starting, but Kendall got 28+ about 15 times without starting.
Indeed I agree completely and could be the Heat's Herro for Mooney. He only started 10 of 66 games played this season but was second leading scoring at 20.7 per game. Also averaged 32.6 minutes per game only one minute less than Jimmy Butler. Attempted most shots per game for the team.

And 4700, please stop with being ridiculed all the time. Honestly I don't know what that ridiculing post mentioned contained and don't need to see it. I admit in the past done so toward you but just go back to the majority of your initial posts. I think the perception still lies in some posters minds opinions without much behind it.

That said I see for the most part your posts when warranted now come with facts to go with your opinion .... "Kendall got 28+ about 15 times without starting." IMO no doubt starting from frosh season he produced points like he was starting.

Good point with Tyler Herro. But, isn't every message board full of "opinions without much behind them"? I have never once posted an opinion and claimed it as a fact. People have certainly disagreed with my opinion with their own opinions, and that is fine, but that has usually turned into a lot of anger and criticism from others toward me for some reason. All good though.

He didn't consistently start until after OOC play year 3, but he was awesome. Probably seemed like he started to some because he played so much, and was so good. I got ridiculed on here for saying Roche could get 28 minutes without starting, but Kendall got 28+ about 15 times without starting.
I certainly didn't ridicule. I just said he won't average 28 mpg unless he's starting. even Anthony didn't until he became a starter and he's a 1900 point scorer. plus we have a lot of depth at his position.

Good point with Tyler Herro. But, isn't every message board full of "opinions without much behind them"? I have never once posted an opinion and claimed it as a fact. People have certainly disagreed with my opinion with their own opinions, and that is fine, but that has usually turned into a lot of anger and criticism from others toward me for some reason. All good though.
Yes "opinion" wasn't the correct meaning word. If you feel that way believe it might be due to those opinions were way, way out there like HTH is he thinking that. Only my observation but all good especially being the Spiders had an awesome ending to the season!

I hope the Nelson loves lives up to the hype. But yeah, because he was local we knew and heard a lot about it. Dji, we didn't even really recruit, snatched him after his decommit from Wake. Dji, doesn't fit Mooney's prototype point guard and Nelson fits it to a T, which is also why their is such a belief that he is going to hop right in and be playing 30 plus minutes a game as a freshman.

I think the biggest thing where parents go wrong is they aren't honest with their kids and can't take constructive criticism. I mean no one likes hearing bad things about their child but people will always talk. If you are honest with your child...ex: Dji needs to be more aggressive. This is a real thing, as we have talked about this since he was in HS. If someone here says that, why should I get mad? The only thing parents should really get upset about is personal attacks. It certainly isn't easy hearing things but I know what type of player my child is. If Sman says...Dji needs to work on his ball handling or or he needs to work on his lateral quikness etc...parents shouldn't get upset but again we are all different.

What changed? There have been no personal attacks from me. You have certainly thrown plenty my way, but whatever.

What changed? There have been no personal attacks from me. You have certainly thrown plenty my way, but whatever.
VT - I have been a part of this board since inception - my family has had season tickets since the Richmond Arena and my dad attended games at Millhiser and. Benedictine.. I disagree with posts of many on this board and agree with others. You stand out not only as someone who I sometimes disagree with, but find you to be the most disagreeable personality in this board. My enjoyment of this board is way down because of your “I have to win my argument mentality”. This the first time I have been critical of your posts and pray it will be the last.

VT - I have been a part of this board since inception - my family has had season tickets since the Richmond Arena and my dad attended games at Millhiser and. Benedictine.. I disagree with posts of many on this board and agree with others. You stand out not only as someone who I sometimes disagree with, but find you to be the most disagreeable personality in this board. My enjoyment of this board is way down because of your “I have to win my argument mentality”. This the first time I have been critical of your posts and pray it will be the last.
I second this sentiment. The good news though is we do have the ability to “ignore” a poster and maybe we all should use it. If a poster posts and no one reads it, did he/she post at all?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT