ADVERTISEMENT

Next year team will be better than expected by this board

Wasn't he 34/32/31 in 3 of his 4 years? Sniffles I'm going to refer u to a good ENT doctor.
Dammit, now I can't remember where I heard a woman say she wouldn't date a ENT doctor.

Because he wouldn't commit to just one...

Reactions: GKiller
not to me. he's never sniffed 35% in four years. he's just as likely to shoot below 32% as above.
Geez, just 2 more made 3s last year, and would have been at 35%. Just one more made 3 in his 1st year, and he would have been at 36%. That has to be sniff worthy, doesn't it?

🔒 it in for Goose. I’m going with Dji( I know surprise) Goose, Tyler, Matt & transfer…BIG lineup
with some athleticism. If no Matt maybe transfer fills that spot.
I think we are in good shape at the point with Dji and Nelson. I mentioned Nelson starting earlier, but, hey, if Dji can beat him out for it, that works too! I think we will need some 3s from that spot, so I was leaning Nelson, but you did say Dji was making his 500 a day. 😀

I think we are in good shape at the point with Dji and Nelson. I mentioned Nelson starting earlier, but, hey, if Dji can beat him out for it, that works too! I think we will need some 3s from that spot, so I was leaning Nelson, but you did say Dji was making his 500 a day. 😀
Agreed, Nelson could very well start. It may come down to who can shoot it better 🤷🏼‍♂️ nevertheless I think both bring different things to the table. We could also see a 3 guard lineup I guess it depends on who we get from portal.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
Crickets from the Spiderman
sorry I was off the board for a few hours. lol.
I know his percentages. "sniffed" was the wrong word. that's on me. "made", "hit", "broke"
there's a fine line between a good and bad 3 point shooter. maybe 35% isn't it but it seems to be.
can we all agree 30.8% is not a good number for a shooting guard?
his 34% was 4 years ago. since then it's 16.2%, 32% and 30.8%.

agreed he's been a low volume 3 point shooter. and yes a couple makes changes the narrative. I don't agree that he was a low volume shooter simply because we had other scorers for 4 years. he's not a great perimeter shooter. he absolutely does other things well. he's a good perimeter defender. he doesn't turn the ball over. and until this year he was very good from 2.

right now he's next year's starter, probably at the 2. he's small and doesn't rebound a ton for a 3. I'm still hoping either through a transfer or by internal progress that someone supplants him and he becomes a valuable super sub. because I think we need more scoring and outside shooting. hoping a guy who's hit 30 for 114 (26.3%) his past 3 seasons suddenly hits 35% because he takes more and practices more isn't a good strategy to me. but I hope you're all right and I hope he does.

Reactions: Zeeter
come on sman. Every other post it's "let me rephrase" or "I take that back". I respect my elders, u r one of a few I can count on 1 hand that preceded me on this board, the first iteration of the rivals board. U r a cagey vet but making board rookie moves.

come on sman. Every other post it's "let me rephrase" or "I take that back". I respect my elders, u r one of a few I can count on 1 hand that preceded me on this board, the first iteration of the rivals board. U r a cagey vet but making board rookie moves.
Now you have me wondering WTH I was doing?
After CAAZone, not here until the beginning of 2005 Season?, not on A-10 board until end of 2008 Season?

So where was I? o_O

I think I've been consistent, if not eloquent. a defense-first SG is a luxury on a good team with scorers. I think we all perceive a need for shooting and scoring on next year's roster. but I acknolege he's the incumbent and likely starter unless we land the right transfer or a young gun on the current roster passes him.

We were on the ancient boards over at everyone.net for a while. They shut down and we ended up back over here.

Reactions: urfan1
Now you have me wondering WTH I was doing?
After CAAZone, not here until the beginning of 2005 Season?, not on A-10 board until end of 2008 Season?

So where was I? o_O
We were on the ancient boards over at everyone.net for a while. They shut down and we ended up back over here.

Yep that was I think early to mid 2000s. But prior to that we started on Rivals. Which was late 90s. Rivals ran into tech issues can't remember what exactly. So Rivals to everyone.net board and back to Rivals. I distinctly remember finding this board randomly circa 98/99 I think. I came across some other rivals sports board and noticed some other individual school ones, I was like no way Richmond has one but there it was. I was like wtf other people want to talk Richmond hoops online this is great I'm not a weirdo. I lost my original giantkiller name in the transition/switch but that's ok GKiller works.

sorry I was off the board for a few hours. lol.
I know his percentages. "sniffed" was the wrong word. that's on me. "made", "hit", "broke"
there's a fine line between a good and bad 3 point shooter. maybe 35% isn't it but it seems to be.
can we all agree 30.8% is not a good number for a shooting guard?
his 34% was 4 years ago. since then it's 16.2%, 32% and 30.8%.

agreed he's been a low volume 3 point shooter. and yes a couple makes changes the narrative. I don't agree that he was a low volume shooter simply because we had other scorers for 4 years. he's not a great perimeter shooter. he absolutely does other things well. he's a good perimeter defender. he doesn't turn the ball over. and until this year he was very good from 2.

right now he's next year's starter, probably at the 2. he's small and doesn't rebound a ton for a 3. I'm still hoping either through a transfer or by internal progress that someone supplants him and he becomes a valuable super sub. because I think we need more scoring and outside shooting. hoping a guy who's hit 30 for 114 (26.3%) his past 3 seasons suddenly hits 35% because he takes more and practices more isn't a good strategy to me. but I hope you're all right and I hope he does.
No we can’t all agree. He wasn’t asked to play a shooting guard position. He was asked to be a lock down defender, and drive to the basket. I see the potential.

after the first Rivals board imploded, weren't we on a Voy board or something that someone here got up and running? Maybe SpiderFan? I don't remember an everyone.net board but maybe these were one and the same. Or was the Voy board the original A10 board site?

btw, if GK is mentioning old names lost in transitions, I was originally under D Hall way back when, with prob another handle or two in between that one and this one. Amazed I remembered the password to log back in with this one after so much time.

Either way, regardless of the above the second mission statement of this board should always remain that the GooMoos suck.

No we can’t all agree. He wasn’t asked to play a shooting guard position. He was asked to be a lock down defender, and drive to the basket. I see the potential.
This is not directed at LIS. You guys are being unfair to Goose. Yes, his full season 3pt average was low, but that includes him coming back from injury where he wasn't 100%. In A10 competition he shot 34.2% from 3.

If Goose doesn't start outside of a injury, we are going to have a very strong team.

I was originally under D Hall
Geez, I can remember D Hall hahaha. I was remembering the voy board too.

I was pro Mooney when it was out, then anti Mooney when he was popular again, then semi pro, when he was semi - disliked, then Anti Mooney again. Give it another 17 years and hopefully I am still around to be on one side or the other. I am neutral wait and see Mooney at the moment, leaning toward pro.

There is beginning to be discussion on some of the post about next year. Some of you are comparing it to the 17-18 team and there is no comparison. The team is going to be a lot better than many of you think. I am assuming everybody comes back who is eligible, which means we will have 9 experience players coming back and competing for each position including:

Burton, a potential A10 player of the year,
Goose, terrific defender and solid guard
Grace, who has been playing very well recently
Crabtree, solid 2 or 3
Dgi, very good guard
Marcus Randolph, strong potential

We then have all the red shirts who will have played one year with the system and some of these guys are very good and may start:

Nelson
Dread
Noyes

We also have Walz a 6'11, who had 9 D1 offers

In addition, we have 3 scholarships for a transferor new recruits which might include a potential starter.

It is going to be exciting to see who our starting 5 will be. This will be a good team with a quality bench.
After the announcements of Goose and Grace and commitments of Quinn and Bigelow, I think we should acknowledge UR80sfan had good instincts!

• Haha
Reactions: SpiderK and VT4700
There is beginning to be discussion on some of the post about next year. Some of you are comparing it to the 17-18 team and there is no comparison. The team is going to be a lot better than many of you think. I am assuming everybody comes back who is eligible, which means we will have 9 experience players coming back and competing for each position including:

Burton, a potential A10 player of the year,
Goose, terrific defender and solid guard
Grace, who has been playing very well recently
Crabtree, solid 2 or 3
Dgi, very good guard
Marcus Randolph, strong potential

We then have all the red shirts who will have played one year with the system and some of these guys are very good and may start:

Nelson
Dread
Noyes

We also have Walz a 6'11, who had 9 D1 offers

In addition, we have 3 scholarships for a transferor new recruits which might include a potential starter.

It is going to be exciting to see who our starting 5 will be. This will be a good team with a quality bench.
Define good team…..how many wins?

Reactions: wr70beh
I’m optimistic, but we have to hope a lot of unknowns go our way (freshmen and redshirts are good, bench players from last year develop, transfers fit in our system)
All I can say with certainty is that next season’s team is going to look very different from this years team, which of course is obvious to all. It should be rather exciting from the standpoint that there will be competition at every spot with the exception of Burton’s. Based on the transfers that the Spiders got, Mooney is likely looking at this as a 2 year plan, so I expect to see a number of new things along with the associated growing pains. Hopefully it all works out as it may be necessary to construct a team in this manner going forward in a “tweener” (not P6 and not Mid Major) league like the A10.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
Come on Knee, Mooney is still the coach, don’t count me out yet. 😊
We just finished one of the best 3 year stretches in program history. I listened to or watched almost every game and enjoyed every minute. I also enjoyed following the success of the players and seeing their development over the years. I am very excited about the future of our program and believe this great 3 year stretch is going to continue for many years to come.

There a lot of people on this board who have been miserable the past 3 years and still can't shake all the negativity out of them, which is their prerogative. So if you want to keep bashing Mooney, that is up to you, but I think there is a greater chance of Mooney retiring as coach than leaving the program. That is a long time to be miserable.

So if you want to keep bashing Mooney, that is up to you, but I think there is a greater chance of Mooney retiring as coach than leaving the program. That is a long time to be miserable.
Hey, I'm optimistic about Mooney, I can believe he has turned the corner in some key areas. Excited for the future. If he craps the bed again, like he did for long stretches - not going to ignore it either. So don't try to paint the broad brush there mr. moon above all.

Agreed, Nelson could very well start. It may come down to who can shoot it better 🤷🏼‍♂️ nevertheless I think both bring different things to the table. We could also see a 3 guard lineup I guess it depends on who we get from portal.
Dad, in my admittedly limited eye test time on Dji, I will say that he operates inside very well and unlike any guard I can remember at UR. A unique skill set I would say which I am unused to seeing at UR...really looking forward to him being on the court alot more in whatever capacity that may be.

We just finished one of the best 3 year stretches in program history. I listened to or watched almost every game and enjoyed every minute. I also enjoyed following the success of the players and seeing their development over the years. I am very excited about the future of our program and believe this great 3 year stretch is going to continue for many years to come.

There a lot of people on this board who have been miserable the past 3 years and still can't shake all the negativity out of them, which is their prerogative. So if you want to keep bashing Mooney, that is up to you, but I think there is a greater chance of Mooney retiring as coach than leaving the program. That is a long time to be miserable.
Much truth here, particularly with regard to last 3 seasons. CM is growing as a coach which is natural as you settle into a career and gain experience. And major kudos on portal pick ups and the commitment of Trevor Smith. All major positives.

But making NCAA once in last 10 years is neither up to UR basketball standards in recent decades nor up to fan expectations. Wouldn't go too hard on the "Doubting Thomases". They have experienced a lot of frustration and misery over the last decade with many losses seemingly self inflicted.

So ecstatic with last season, hopeful for the future, but many remain wary of past performance. Trust, but verify. Do it (NCAA) again soon. Spider Nation will be happy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT