ADVERTISEMENT

Next year team will be better than expected by this board

you might show more to the NBA by being the guy who scores when teams are focused on you than being a team's 3rd option.

but Grady is interesting. he's a guy that showed up an offensive star on day one ... and really never progressed in 4 seasons for Davidson. maybe there just wasn't room to progress. now as the #3 option at Kentucky, maybe he's getting better looks. he's having a great shooting year at 43.7% from 3.

I have no facts on whether Burton stays or leaves. No inside scoop.

I think it obvious that it is absolutely in his best interest to transfer to a place where he gets to play in the NCAA tournament. That is something that will never come around again. In my belief, it is also in his best interest to play for a school that has other legitimate scoring options. As stated, he will be the object of heavy defensive resistance next year if at Richmond. It is likely also in the best interest of his NBA prospects if he shows that he can perform on a bigger stage.

He may have an emotional attachment that keeps him at UR, but if not, I think he leaves.

I started reading this board right around the time the super seniors were deciding if they were going to come back or not this year. Consensus seemed to be very few if any would come back, which was entirely wrong.
Let’s not try to predict what will happen. We definitely could use Grace back next year. And SpiderDad seems to think Burton will be coming back, which is a better view than any of us. I personally also think he comes back — his nba prospects have gotten worse as season progressed but he knows next year he will have opportunity to shine (imagine this important for a player thinking NBA)

this might not be the best example since we only went 16-16 in 2011-12, but we had just graduated KA, Harper, Geroit and KSmith. that was a lot of minutes and points. we only had one guy coming back who averaged over 5 ppg (Brothers at 7.6 ppg). we didn't have anyone who had produced anywhere near Tyler's level. yet we managed to score points the next season and win 16 games.

assuming Tyler's back, we're in better shape than in 2011-12.

Grace - if he has aspirations of playing overseas, he should come back. He could be a guy who gets 8-10 points a night next year and that will be able to find him a spot somewhere in Europe.

Goose - since he has a foreign passport for Finland, he probably can go right home and be put on a team in their pro league. So really a decision - does he want to stay in States another year or go home. I would not fault him for wanting to go home at this point.

Crabtree - another guy, if he is thinking of playing in Europe - he needs another season and needs to be a 40% shooter from deep next year. I think he can do it, given the right opportunity, but also depends on younger guys behind him as I can see him playing limited minutes next year.

no idea how much influence his aunt has. in my house, that wouldn't mean anything. in fact it would certainly get a chuckle if my kid's aunt had the audacity to post something like that. but I don't know with Tyler. maybe she's a decision maker.
I don't know either but his aunt is a former D-1 ACC player, so it's not like she is your typical aunt.

Reactions: plydogg
Why would Crabtree even consider leaving? He's still got two years left.

I think Crabtree, Goose, Grace, and Burton should all leave in 2 months...

as NBA Lottery picks...

Reactions: Spiders4ever
Since this is Crabtree's 4th year of college (1 at Tulane and 3 at UR) I am assuming he could graduate if he wants and then that allows him transfer as a grad transfer. I could see him looking for a potential NCAA team where he can be a shooter off the bench. But I also think he will get the opportunity to play 25 minutes a game next year - something I don't think he gets if he transfers.

I think he stays - but anything is possible at this point.

Reactions: 64Spider
Since this is Crabtree's 4th year of college (1 at Tulane and 3 at UR) I am assuming he could graduate if he wants and then that allows him transfer as a grad transfer. I could see him looking for a potential NCAA team where he can be a shooter off the bench. But I also think he will get the opportunity to play 25 minutes a game next year - something I don't think he gets if he transfers.

I think he stays - but anything is possible at this point.
Are players going to be restricted from transferring this year?
Crabtree has two years of eligibility remaining, yes?

Crabtree breakdown.

Year 1 - Tulane
Year 2 - Transfer Redshirt
Year 3 - COVID - played in 4 games and had foot surgery
Year 4 - This year. Coming off bench.

In normal situation - he would have 1 more year, but with COVID, he gets Year 3 back. But I don't know - if he grad transfers, does he get 1 or 2 years at new school? Or must he stay at same school to get COVID year?

Crabtree breakdown.

Year 1 - Tulane
Year 2 - Transfer Redshirt
Year 3 - COVID - played in 4 games and had foot surgery
Year 4 - This year. Coming off bench.

In normal situation - he would have 1 more year, but with COVID, he gets Year 3 back. But I don't know - if he grad transfers, does he get 1 or 2 years at new school? Or must he stay at same school to get COVID year?
I believe you don't get the COVID year if you transfer.

There is beginning to be discussion on some of the post about next year. Some of you are comparing it to the 17-18 team and there is no comparison. The team is going to be a lot better than many of you think. I am assuming everybody comes back who is eligible, which means we will have 11 experience players coming back and competing for each position including:

Burton, a potential A10 player of the year,
Goose, terrific defender and solid guard
Grace, who has been playing very well recently
Sal, I think next year will be his year.
Crabtree, solid 2 or 3
Dgi, very good guard
Wilson, hopefully he fine tunes his game
Marcus Randolph, strong potential

We then have all the red shirts who will have played one year with the system and some of these guys are very good and may start:

Nelson
Dread
Noyes

We also have Walz a 6'11, who had 9 D1 offers

In addition, we have a scholarship for a transferor new recruits which might include a potential starter.

It is going to be exciting to see who our starting 5 will be. This will be a good team with a quality bench.
Is Walz currently on campus?

As far as I can remember, you still get the COVID year if you transfer this year.

And no, Walz is not on campus...he's still in school. High school season just finished a couple of weeks ago.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
so every top player should leave to go to a higher league, or just Mooney's top players?
he's developed a ton here. he may love the team and school here.
transferring isn't always the answer. the grass isn't always greener.
He may love it at UR, but based on his recent performances I don’t think he developed much, especially this season, he seems to have regressed in league play

Reactions: spider23
most of their games seem ridiculously low scoring. hope that's their coach's style, and hope they have no shot clock. and I hope he had 20 rebounds!
found video of a recent game. will have to watch when I have an hour and a half!

most of their games seem ridiculously low scoring. hope that's their coach's style, and hope they have no shot clock. and I hope he had 20 rebounds!

There are no shot clocks in PA. Even though many are equipped with them. I don't know breakdown in hs basketball but some other states play with a shot clock like NY. It's so stupid. PA should definitely institute the shot clock. Many teams play the slow down style and u get so many less possessions. I don't know Walz stats but no doubt that rule will play a role, and for many other players in PA. The state is backwards in many ways, u don't even have to wear a helmet riding a motorcycle.

Last edited:
There is beginning to be discussion on some of the post about next year. Some of you are comparing it to the 17-18 team and there is no comparison. The team is going to be a lot better than many of you think. I am assuming everybody comes back who is eligible, which means we will have 11 experience players coming back and competing for each position including:

Sal, I think next year will be his year.
Crabtree, solid 2 or 3
Dgi, very good guard
Wilson, hopefully he fine tunes his game
Marcus Randolph, strong potential

We then have all the red shirts who will have played one year with the system and some of these guys are very good and may start:

Nelson
Dread
Noyes

We also have Walz a 6'11, who had 9 D1 offers

In addition, we have a scholarship for a transferor new recruits which might include a potential starter.

It is going to be exciting to see who our starting 5 will be. This will be a good team with a quality bench.
So a bunch of guys who aren’t good enough to play for an NIT team are going to play great next year? This also assumes Burton doesn’t go elsewhere.

This thread is an insult to our intelligence. We will win between 12 and 16 games next year. How do we know this? Because we played the 2022-2023 already. In 2011-2012 (16 wins) and in 2017-2018 (12 wins).

Next year is the "We're Young" year after a build-up cycle ends.

2023-2024 is the "Untimely Injuries" year.

2024-2025 is the "We're almost there" year.

2025-2026 is the "Man, we fell just short" year. The process will repeat all over again in 2026-2027.

You don't have to be a PhD in history to know how this will all play out.

I am having a hard time getting us over 8 wins next year, but MO is correct about the rest.

Scheduling down in the OOC should be good for an additional 4–5 wins compared to if they scheduled like a normal/ambitious year. Fill it up with a bunch of 200+ NET teams and we can go .500 or so in OOC, and then we'd only need a handful in the A-10 to get to double digits for the year.

Reactions: urfan1
Scheduling down in the OOC should be good for an additional 4–5 wins compared to if they scheduled like a normal/ambitious year. Fill it up with a bunch of 200+ NET teams and we can go .500 or so in OOC, and then we'd only need a handful in the A-10 to get to double digits for the year.
Yes, and Philly Bob will be hailing this light scheduling as brilliant strategy at World of Beer on some Monday Night.

By the way, how did our OOC schedule ranking land for this year?

found video of a recent game. will have to watch when I have an hour and a half!
Thanks for posting this video.

I watched the first 2-minutes of the game. Walz is tall, about a foot taller than the guy he tipped off against. Walz is tall. I will say that Walz is tall. First defensive transition, he was the 7th man to get down the floor. First offensive transition, Walz slowly jogged and was the 8th man to reach the offensive end of the floor. This was the first two possessions following tipoff. He was either incredibly slow, or he wasn't putting in much effort, or both. Either way, he certainly wasn't in a hurry.

It may be a good idea for all to watch this tape before predicting his impact for next season. Draw your own conclusions, I'm just reporting what I saw. I did see enough to satisfy my curiosity. He may have been a monster the rest of the game, I can't say. Did I mention that Walz is tall?

• Haha
Reactions: Mo 2.0 and SpiderK
I know this is the basketball board but some of these "will they or won't they" decisons will also probably factor in other considerations. Do they like the campus? Do they like student life outside basketball? Do they want an easier school academically? Do they want to be the new guy again? Do they want a program we don't offer? Do they like or hate change in general? Do they like their teammates (say what you will about everything else, I think we generally have a good family like supportive culture, as evidenced by the lack of transfers to date).

I think I would have been smart enough to think about those things at 20-22 years of age. Our guys are supposed to be smart. So maybe they are considering factors beyond "what is the best basketball decision I can make."

That Walz video is pretty unimpressive. He's very passive on D and doesn't want to stray far from the basket, so shooters were draining threes over him. He doesn't help, and doesn't fight for boards, relying on his height and hoping the ball comes his way. He does get some blocks just due to his wingspan.

On O he doesn't use screens or anything to try to get open...he just stands there the whole time with his arm in the air calling for the ball because he's a foot taller than everyone else. But with a defender or two draped all over him, his teammates rarely even throw the ball in to him.

He was a complete nonfactor in the first half, with his only shot attempt being an NBA three from straight on that missed. They got the ball in to him on the first possession of the second half and he managed to score that one, but that was it for the third quarter.

He came alive more in the final quarter and scored six points, but Conestoga still lost by three.

Some of the early recruiting comments from the Philly posters who had either seen him play or talked to other coaches said he hadn't shown much intensity, played to the level of his competition, and perhaps had some questionable work ethic. Unfortunately, I can kinda see where those comments might come from, even now at the end of his senior year.

I don't want to write him off just based on the one game of his that I've watched, but there's a distinct lack of buzz about him and this didn't do anything to allay my concerns. You can skate by in high school at 6'11", but D-I ball is a whole different story.

Last edited:
I believe this will be the biggest attention grabber of the off-season. Will he stay, or will he go? I'd like to see him stay, but if he goes it makes perfectly good sense to want to play on a winning team with realistic NCAA expectations. If we don't make it this year, we'll never make it during his career here. Also next year, he'll probably be doubled teamed more and more at UR as the other options are not what they are this year. This could become frustrating for him even though he's a team player & a gamer.

If he leaves, I'd like to see Mooney's spin on the that. Also I guess the admin & BOT will just consider it another day at the office, and we'll be fine.
Agree that Burton will probably be looking for greener pastures and can't blame him. In fact, I'll cheer him on wherever he goes, since he never stopped hustling all 3 seasons, no matter if his shots were going in or not. Can't say the same for a lot of his other teammates.

Agree that Burton will probably be looking for greener pastures and can't blame him. In fact, I'll cheer him on wherever he goes, since he never stopped hustling all 3 seasons, no matter if his shots were going in or not. Can't say the same for a lot of his other teammates.
👍🏻

There is beginning to be discussion on some of the post about next year. Some of you are comparing it to the 17-18 team and there is no comparison. The team is going to be a lot better than many of you think.

Not thinking it before but have to say after going by a good amount of recent games I would be feel good about the above three players you mentioned being part of the starting five.

Though I still like to get a big transfer who can 1) block shots 2) defensive rebound. Possibly have a twin tower starting pair instead of just relegating Matt coming off the bench. From what we all have seen Matt's earned it. And wish Goose could be a point because I don't believe Wilson (nothing against him) is the answer. Goose guards his man like he's glued to him.

As much I would like to see a new coach really pumped wanting to see a game next Thursday or Friday. Whether you're an Eagles fan like me, Skins fan or whoever always a great feeling another game awaited after the regular season win or lose.

Thanks for posting this video.

I watched the first 2-minutes of the game. Walz is tall, about a foot taller than the guy he tipped off against. Walz is tall. I will say that Walz is tall. First defensive transition, he was the 7th man to get down the floor. First offensive transition, Walz slowly jogged and was the 8th man to reach the offensive end of the floor. This was the first two possessions following tipoff. He was either incredibly slow, or he wasn't putting in much effort, or both. Either way, he certainly wasn't in a hurry.

It may be a good idea for all to watch this tape before predicting his impact for next season. Draw your own conclusions, I'm just reporting what I saw. I did see enough to satisfy my curiosity. He may have been a monster the rest of the game, I can't say. Did I mention that Walz is tall?
You talking about Walz ir Golden?

Reactions: coach fezz
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT