ADVERTISEMENT

Next Year Roster

We could also just choose to not live and die by the 3. But I know that’s a preposterous idea
In todays college basketball, it's not so much living and dying by the three, but you better make your fair share of them because most everyone else is. Not only that, but when you can't make 3s, teams can play off of you, pack the lane, and make it that much harder for you to score.

Last edited:
Reactions: urfan1
Would you take a transfer shooting 39% 19-20 and 30% 21-22? 😀
It depends on what it looks like after you break down the stats. Take a guy like Devon Dunn, who is transferring from Fairleigh Dickinson. He shot an impressive 41.8% from 3 his freshman year (19-20), and was a volume 3 point shooter, making 2 or more in 13 games. All as a true freshman playing 21 minutes a game. He then sat out last year, and this year only shot 30.9% from 3, but made 27 of his last 70 (38.5%), including games of 6-8, 4-10, and 4-10. So, yes, I would be pretty happy with a guy like that and I think he could help us.

In todays college basketball, it's not so much living and dying by the three, but you better make your fair share of them because most everyone else is. Not only that, but when you can't make 3s, teams can play off of you, pack the lane, and make it that much harder for you to score.
Exactly, we must make 3’s, because everyone we play against breaks their school records from the arc against us. The only thing we do worse than defend the arc is rebound.

Reactions: Eight Legger
Simply not true. Our 3 point defense was not good last year, but the 2 years before it was. And, plenty of years before those as well.

2021: 31.6% 68th in the country
2020: 30.5% 48th in the country

Also, 21st in the country in 2010, 16th in 2011, 81st in 2012, 15th in 2014, 18th in 2015, and 43rd in 2017.

Simply not true. Our 3 point defense was not good last year, but the 2 years before it was. And, plenty of years before those as well.

2021: 31.6% 68th in the country
2020: 30.5% 48th in the country

Also, 21st in the country in 2010, 16th in 2011, 81st in 2012, 15th in 2014, 18th in 2015, and 43rd in 2017.
We guarded the 3 point line pretty well in 1984 also. I forgot.

Hmmm, so are we saying Devin Dunn is the transfer we think? Between our two insiders posts that is what my spider senses tell me :).
Not an insider, but that's not the one I am getting from the insider clues. Think bigger. I know I am ecstatic if what I believe from those clues to be true.

yes, I want Burton at the 4.
if you start Grace at the 4, I guess you're counting on Walz coming in when either Quinn or Grace need a break? not sure I'm ready to commit to that, but fine if he's ready day 1.

this can all change if we add a traditional big forward in the portal, but until then I'm starting:
5: Quinn
4: Burton
3, 2, 1: any 3 of the following 4 - Goose, Connor, Dji and Jason
You need to stop saying Burton at 4. You might keep Quinn on the floor with small forwards and guards, and Burton could be a forward, but he wouldnt be a "4"

Not an insider, but that's not the one I am getting from the insider clues. Think bigger. I know I am ecstatic if what I believe from those clues to be true.
I don't have any inside info at all. I was only trying to find a guy who is transferring who had similar stats to what SDad75 mentioned. If you have more clues, I would love to hear them.

Reactions: spider23
Hmmm, I was thinking it was Funk, but he shot 36% from 3 in 21-22. Or maybe I'm just a little slow and we are inverting the the first three years vs the last year 3 pt %. If it is Funk I hope the more athletic defenders in the a10 don't cause him to revert to his 20-21 percentage. Then he is just a guy trying to eat minutes from Goose, Crab, dji, randolph.

I don't have any inside info at all. I was only trying to find a guy who is transferring who had similar stats to what SDad75 mentioned. If you have more clues, I would love to hear them.
Patience young grashopper. I’m almost 100% positive I know who were talking about but don’t want to give away any more info than has already been disclosed. Plus don’t want to scoop spiderdad.

Gonna throw out a name just based on Dad's quoted stats...Wofford's Isaiah Bigelow.

38.8% from three in 19–20, missed 20–21 with a knee injury, then 29.6% from three this season. Grad transfer, and I believe he has two years of eligibility left, as he doesn't get the extra one since he didn't play in 20–21.

Gonna throw out a name just based on Dad's quoted stats...Wofford's Isaiah Bigelow.

38.8% from three in 19–20, missed 20–21 with a knee injury, then 29.6% from three this season. Grad transfer, and I believe he has two years of eligibility left, as he doesn't get the extra one since he didn't play in 20–21.
I thought he was 28 of 86 in 19-20?

Ya, just figured that out too...padded his stats against non-DI.

If this is the guy we are targeting - as spiderdad likes to say "Big Guard". Listed at 6'7. 80+% FT shooter. Lot to like here. Based on his 3pt percent from last year, not necessarily the knock down guy we were thinking - BUT maybe due to coming back from injury? We saw how that affected Crabtree, Sherod, etc. Might be a situation of buying low, with a high ceiling.

Not a super exciting add but would make sense as another capable, experienced guy to add to the mix, someone who could give us some size and minutes.

I don't really remember anything in particular from his game against us this year, but he had 10 points (3 for 6 from 2, 1 for 4 from 3) in 31 minutes. Couple of assists and three boards.

You need to stop saying Burton at 4. You might keep Quinn on the floor with small forwards and guards, and Burton could be a forward, but he wouldnt be a "4"
no idea why you have a problem with the number 4.
there's 5 guys on the floor. if you're drawing on a dry erase board, you number them. you don't call 2 guys the 3. if Burton's on the floor with Quinn and 3 guards ... he's the 4. I'm not saying anything has to change with his game if he's a 4 vs a 3. he's a forward and still primarily a perimeter player. we usually run a 4 out offensive set. it just didn't look like that with Cayo.

the 4 is just a number to identify the bigger forward spot. that's all. call him a guard if you want to. but someone has to defend the other team's bigger forward. that's the 4.

Found some recent film on Bigelow - as 23 mentioned, I think there's a lot to like. Smooth looking stroke, great size for a wing, and has some legit rebounding numbers. Also looks to have pretty solid bounce for a guy coming off an ACL injury based on dunk at 22 second mark.

Damn your good.

Found some recent film on Bigelow - as 23 mentioned, I think there's a lot to like. Smooth looking stroke, great size for a wing, and has some legit rebounding numbers. Also looks to have pretty solid bounce for a guy coming off an ACL injury based on dunk at 22 second mark.

seems to lean a little left on his shot. maybe something fixable.

Again, I feel like the high FT% is a very good sign. So, he must have graduated in three years? Says two years left, but would he somehow have 3 years left, played two - covid era you get an extra? Guessing the graduation part is the issue, but would think there are 3 year grad programs.

Again, I feel like the high FT% is a very good sign. So, he must have graduated in three years? Says two years left, but would he somehow have 3 years left, played two - covid era you get an extra? Guessing the graduation part is the issue, but would think there are 3 year grad programs.
you only get 20-21 back. he played 19-20 and 21-22.

Reactions: spider23
He was there four years, played two....redshirt year, played a year, injury year, played a year. And correct, he doesn't get the COVID year, so he's got two left.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
My question to you, "Is he the big you are looking for?"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT