ADVERTISEMENT

Nelson

This may sound strange, but I think Mooney needs to coach Nelson stronger during the games.
When he does one of his lazy passes CM should pull him over and ask him, wtf was that?
When he decides he dribble for 28 seconds and then take to the basket and a big slams it down his throat, Mooney should
ask him, “what did you think was going to happen?”

Nelson had 3 points and 0 assists in 28 minutes and we lost by 1. We will win a lot of games with good PG play, good 3 point shooting, and good defense. We got 2 out of 3 last night. I still think Nelson is a good PG. He, like a lot of the guys, is just inconsistent right now. On a positive note, he had 0 turnovers, but his shot wasn't falling and the penetration wasn't there. We went with Goose and Randolph at PG for a decent amount of minutes and I could see that continuing some in games when Nelson's production is down.

It was good to have Grace back. It looked like he wasn't 100%, but he gave us 3 points, 5 rebounds, 5 assists, and 3 blocks in 18 minutes.

Tyler played 40 minutes and gave us everything he had on offense and defense. I wouldn't trade that guy for anyone in our conference.

We need a little bit better shooting from Bigelow, both from 2 (32.5%) and 3 (28.3%). Just another bucket or two in most of our losses could have been the difference in wins and losses. But, he gives us a lot out there, and I still want some good minutes for him.

Our defense has been solid this year, and we have shown what this team is capable of at times. We held Temple to 49 and they just put an 83 spot on VCU. Our 34-11 2nd half run was really impressive, and there have been times we have shown some signs of putting things together. We just need a little bit more consistency, and it looks like those that said it would take this team some time to get things rolling were right. But, I do look for us to right the ship, start playing more consistently, and get things rolling come conference time.

Reactions: spiderman
So there’s inconsistent, and then there’s losing to William & Mary. I think it’s polishing a turd a bit.

“We’ll get ‘em next time.”

Reactions: 97spiderfan
This may sound strange, but I think Mooney needs to coach Nelson stronger during the games.
When he does one of his lazy passes CM should pull him over and ask him, wtf was that?
When he decides he dribble for 28 seconds and then take to the basket and a big slams it down his throat, Mooney should
ask him, “what did you think was going to happen?”
An just FYI towards the end of W&M game, I did see frustration which hopefully turned into a productive post-game conversation from Mooney to Nelson after the possession when we were up 1 with around 1 minute to go and had taken the timeout. It seemed to me that the play was for Nelson to pass to Grace to get the ball moving some with Grace having options from there but that never happened .. .

Nelson had 3 points and 0 assists in 28 minutes and we lost by 1. We will win a lot of games with good PG play, good 3 point shooting, and good defense. We got 2 out of 3 last night.

2 out of 3 should beat W&M. Cause 2 out of 3 ain’t bad. Take it up with Meatloaf.

• Haha
Reactions: plydogg and wr70beh
Say it again just might be too much expectations too soon of Nelson mirroring close to the level of play of Jacob. Yes he practiced with him last season but didn't he miss his entire senior year?

Thought let's compare numbers as is small sample through first 8 games of their careers.

Gilyard 71 points 8.9 ppg
Nelson 83 points 10.4 ppg

Gilyard
2PTA 14-29 48%
3PTA 10-30 33%
FTA 13-16 81%
Nelson
2PTA 21-44 48%
3PTA 9-33 27%
FTA 17-29 59%

Gilyard
23 Assists
15 TO
15 Rebounds
18 Steals
Nelson
26 Assists
16 TO
25 Rebounds
12 Steals

Jason might not progress as well as Jacob did his first year but satisfied so far by his play. Yes he dribbles too much outside at times with no purpose it seems but like that he's not careless with the ball. Might not ever have Jacob's floater in the lane or 3PT% but with his shot he could be good with that 10-13ft pull-up. Won't be the thief Jacob was but right now getting to the FT line more (% has to go up) and a better rebounder.

It's cliche but Mooney needs to put him into a better position to do well. How many times was the ball in SDJ's hands for the last shot dribbling around forever ending with failure. Did I blame SDJ, most times not.

Last edited:
Reactions: urfan1
Say it again just might be too much expectations too soon of Nelson mirroring close to the level of play of Jacob. Yes he practiced with him last season but didn't he miss his entire senior year?

Thought let's compare numbers as is small sample through first 8 games of their careers.

Gilyard 71 points 8.9 ppg
Nelson 83 points 10.4 ppg

Gilyard
2PTA 14-29 48%
3PTA 10-30 33%
FTA 13-16 81%
Nelson
2PTA 21-44 48%
3PTA 9-33 27%
FTA 17-29 59%

Gilyard
23 Assists
15 TO
15 Rebounds
18 Steals
Nelson
26 Assists
16 TO
25 Rebounds
12 Steals

Jason might not progress as well as Jacob did his first year but satisfied so far by his play. Yes he dribbles too much outside at times with no purpose it seems but like that he's not careless with the ball. Might not ever have Jacob's floater in the lane or 3PT% but with his shot he could be good with that 10-13ft pull-up. Won't be the thief Jacob was but right now getting to the FT line more (% has to go up) and a better rebounder.

It's cliche but Mooney needs to put him into a better position to do well. How many times was the ball in SDJ's hands for the last shot dribbling around forever ending with failure. Did I blame SDJ, most times not.
Yes, but Nelson stats in first 8 games aren't as good as Gilly stats in last 8 games... 🤣

Gilyard never developed that floater you mention, and I’ve seen Nelson do it a few times. I think he already has a better feel for that shot than Jacob ever did
I agree - expect and hope his floater shot to become one of JayNel's key strengths.

Reactions: urfan1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT