ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Lacrosse Tournament

Hardy Ball was the sport then

And a great sport it was. Many a game played on the Keller Hall and Bandy Lane fields, far superior to X lot, or even the old field adjacent to Millheiser, which disappeared after our freshman year.

My senior year we even got to play a quarterfinal, semifinal and third-place game on old Pitt Field (Nads lost in the semis after shocking the Hardyball world all fall).

Do they still play it?

Reactions: urfan1
It was still played in the late '90s, but I think it's dead. It's not listed on the intramural sports page and the last mention in the Collegian was 2004.

Hardy Ball was the sport then

And a great sport it was. Many a game played on the Keller Hall and Bandy Lane fields, far superior to X lot, or even the old field adjacent to Millheiser, which disappeared after our freshman year.

My senior year we even got to play a quarterfinal, semifinal and third-place game on old Pitt Field (Nads lost in the semis after shocking the Hardyball world all fall).

Do they still play it?
Great thing about the game is everyone, not just the "stars", needed to be involved to be successful. What a great college lesson, new or affirmed, to carry into life.

Still sporting a slightly crooked finger from a broken bone while shoved in the back going up for a pass. It was different a game, but it wasn't patty cake.

Hardy Ball....Treasured memories.

Excerpt from Kessenich (reference above) - who agrees with Ferrum-

Richmond was :49 seconds and one clear away from the NCAA lacrosse quarterfinals. Credit Penn senior Ben Bedard for creating the game making turnover. With a one goal lead, Richmond played not to lose, a cardinal sin in lacrosse for those who remember the Towson vs Maryland in the NCAA first round game in 2019. In the shot clock era, it never pays to stall when you’re up one goal or tied. Extend your lead. Pull away. Don’t wait to get caught. If in doubt, throw the ball down the field, cheap it. Ice the puck and ride. Time is on your side. A turnover in your own zone is the one play that can’t happen.
I guess I am not recalling the specifics of that play accurately, because I thought we were trying to pass upfield and just made a bad pass that was intercepted?

The wording there isn't super clear...seems to be mixing two different possessions.

The playing not to lose bit should refer to the previous Spider possession where we were milking the clock with the one-goal lead. As the shot clock started to run low we finally started to look for an opportunity, but not much was available and Madonna turned it over.

But yeah, once we got the subsequent stop, we were trying to move it upfield and turned it over under pressure. You can also argue we should have just chucked it downfield rather than risking moving the ball in our own end. But there was still over 45 seconds left, so I guess we thought if we could just maintain possession, we could seal it. If we'd chucked it, Penn still would have time to come back down for a final try.

Question for die hard lacrosse fans - and I admit I am not one of them. I pay attention to UR lacrosse at end of season when playing in conference tourney and NCAA games. UR has been successful in conference and even this year with upset of UVA. But when we make to NCAA tourney - we lose first round. Does this year feel any different than previous NCAA losses? Does it seem our ceiling is make NCAA tourney and lose? Maybe there will be a year where we win a game, but that might be equivalent of football winning national title or basketball making sweet 16 - meaning it will rarely every happen.

Just wondering if the program - in its 8th season I think - is on a trajectory to continue to get better and maybe compete one day for a national title, or has it hits it plateau?

I'm also far from a diehard fan, but I think it's fair to say that we have not reached our peak yet. This team could/should have won this game, which is more than could be said in any of our other NCAA appearances. Like Chemotti said after the game, the mindset changed this time – from being happy to make the tournament to expecting to win in the tournament. My sense of the lacrosse landscape is most years there might be one or two pretty dominant teams, then maybe 10-15 others that on any given day could beat each other. We are in that group, or at least we were this year.

We lose some key guys now, but it seems our recruiting has always filled in very nicely without much of a downturn, so if that trend continues, I would think we'd have a shot to be back a few times in the next 3-4 years. I really believe we have a shot to win the whole thing within the next 5-6 years if Chemotti stays (and short of Duke coming open, I think he will).

I know most of us in basketball hate it when our team tries to milk the clock and gets out of the flow of the game. Same can be said here. To me waiting 15 seconds or less to shoot put more pressure on UR than on Penn to defend. It was more 1v1 versus team movement. I did not like the delay tactics for seemed to take us out of sync.

There's certainly some impact...we've lost some key guys to transfer, but we've also brought in more. But I think with a smaller number of teams and not as much ability to chase professional opportunities, it's not as big a factor as it is for basketball.

And yeah, we this year seemed kind of different in terms of competing at NCAAs, so hopefully it's a sign of improvement. We did play a good NCAA game against Duke a few years ago...we scrapped enough to be tied them partway into the third, then fell behind. Ultimately lost by one, but it was thanks to two Spider goals in the final minute so we were definitely in desperation mode.

Yes - transfer portal is important. Luke Frankeny, graduate student who previously played at Mt. St. Mary's was a prolific scorer for us this season. He is one example, And yes we are getting better every year. Chemotti is a great coach and want him at Richmond a long time. Also Paul Richards and John Hogan have been very instrumental in our success. Agree the end of Penn game which slipped from our grasp did not turn out the way we wanted. Can't play "not to lose" with all the dynamics of today's game, but don't want to second guess our strategy as hindsight is often 20-20. Think as we proved with the UVA win, which was huge in a number of ways, that we can play with anybody and with a few breaks we could be a perennial top ten team and compete for the national championship. We are not there yet but have made substantial progress. New conference alignment next year will be fascinating to watch unfold. And yes still smarting from Penn loss which we were oh so close to winning. Think college lacrosse is the most action packed game going with substitutions being made while the game proceeds. Looking forward to next season.

Question for die hard lacrosse fans - and I admit I am not one of them. I pay attention to UR lacrosse at end of season when playing in conference tourney and NCAA games. UR has been successful in conference and even this year with upset of UVA. But when we make to NCAA tourney - we lose first round. Does this year feel any different than previous NCAA losses? Does it seem our ceiling is make NCAA tourney and lose? Maybe there will be a year where we win a game, but that might be equivalent of football winning national title or basketball making sweet 16 - meaning it will rarely every happen.

Just wondering if the program - in its 8th season I think - is on a trajectory to continue to get better and maybe compete one day for a national title, or has it hits it plateau?
I would say this loss hurts in a sense that they let one slip away but was definitely a step forward. We werent competitive our first two appearances. The last loss was to Duke by one goal but we needed a furious 4th quarter rally to come back. This one we had until the waning moments. As far as others mentioning the transfer portal. Pretty sure you could transfer without penalty in LAX prior to the new rulings but could be wrong.

I think you can pretty quickly become a top 20-40 program in NCAA lax but to start winning games and get in the upper echelon in the NCAAs becomes a lot harder. I think Phase I of the lax program has been pretty successful. Politics aside from how it was incepted, had you told most Richmond fans that they would have 4 NCAA appearances they would take it although we have left a few on the table.

I think being in the SOCON was marvelous for the program to develop and get it to where it is. I think in time we would of won a NCAA game in that league but I do think there was a ceiling to being in that conference. I think the A10 will be a stronger conference and Phase II will really tell us where we are as a program. If they win say 4-5 A10 titles over the next decade with the quality of competition in the conference I would imagine it would lead to NCAA victories and deep post season runs. There are only a dozen or so actual P5 teams in the NCAA, the ACC/B10/IVY/Patriot/BE is what I would loosely call the P5 of lax. I legit think the A10 could challenge the BE for superiority of all the new kids on the block in the A10 hit on all cylinders. A10 isn't adding scrub programs. Every team in the A10 rumored to be added had a top 40 RPI with the exception of Fairfield (54) who has an RPI higher than Mercer/VMI/Hampton.

I would say the likely hood for a ton of NCAA appearances will depend on how big of a next step we take. If we are the same program for say the past 10 years, I'm not sure we get 4 NCAA appearances with the competition we will be facing. If we take the next step as a program in the A10 and become the flagship program of the conference could start making deep runs. Look for UMASS to supplant HPU as our main rival in conference. UMASS/UR was a pretty big rivalry for FCS football back in the day. Think we played for 23 seasons straight before they foolishly moved up to FBS. Would love to have another rivalry with them in a different sport.

I would say this loss hurts in a sense that they let one slip away but was definitely a step forward. We werent competitive our first two appearances. The last loss was to Duke by one goal but we needed a furious 4th quarter rally to come back. This one we had until the waning moments. As far as others mentioning the transfer portal. Pretty sure you could transfer without penalty in LAX prior to the new rulings but could be wrong.

I think you can pretty quickly become a top 20-40 program in NCAA lax but to start winning games and get in the upper echelon in the NCAAs becomes a lot harder. I think Phase I of the lax program has been pretty successful. Politics aside from how it was incepted, had you told most Richmond fans that they would have 4 NCAA appearances they would take it although we have left a few on the table.

I think being in the SOCON was marvelous for the program to develop and get it to where it is. I think in time we would of won a NCAA game in that league but I do think there was a ceiling to being in that conference. I think the A10 will be a stronger conference and Phase II will really tell us where we are as a program. If they win say 4-5 A10 titles over the next decade with the quality of competition in the conference I would imagine it would lead to NCAA victories and deep post season runs. There are only a dozen or so actual P5 teams in the NCAA, the ACC/B10/IVY/Patriot/BE is what I would loosely call the P5 of lax. I legit think the A10 could challenge the BE for superiority of all the new kids on the block in the A10 hit on all cylinders. A10 isn't adding scrub programs. Every team in the A10 rumored to be added had a top 40 RPI with the exception of Fairfield (54) who has an RPI higher than Mercer/VMI/Hampton.

I would say the likely hood for a ton of NCAA appearances will depend on how big of a next step we take. If we are the same program for say the past 10 years, I'm not sure we get 4 NCAA appearances with the competition we will be facing. If we take the next step as a program in the A10 and become the flagship program of the conference could start making deep runs. Look for UMASS to supplant HPU as our main rival in conference. UMASS/UR was a pretty big rivalry for FCS football back in the day. Think we played for 23 seasons straight before they foolishly moved up to FBS. Would love to have another rivalry with them in a different sport.
St Joes as an A10 LAX entrant will also enhance the conference RPI along with UMASS.The Philly Joe’s punched Yale in the face this past weekend and almost pulled off the upset.Very balanced with a toughness.
The Bonnies coach is A+ and have already begun to draw Canadian talent.
HPU will slide into the A10(with our assistance).LAX for them remains a priority sport.

Lets hope we win the bid to host the next 3-5years of the A10 LAX championship.Pony up PQ.

Bonnie coach bio:

Last edited:
It does look like the new conference will put some pressure on UR to see if they can maintain a similar level of success against tougher competition. Seems like the first few years in the new conference could be make or break - especially in terms of recruiting going forward possibly.

Tough loss no doubt, esp bc it felt like we were actually the better team but Penn did have a few guys out of lineup. We're getting close but other schools seem to be putting more resources into lacrosse too. like others I did feel like sitting on the ball wasn't the right play. Better to go for 2 goal lead but I'm also saying that as more of a novice when it comes to lacrosse strategy. & granted we get that one clear and we likely win so I'd say that lack of clear when we did get a stop was the key play not as much of the offensive delays.

And personally I feel like the game puts too much dependence on the faceoff, when maybe u should just do it at every quarter start but otherwise it goes to other team after a goal. Seems a little fairer but that's the game.

Looked on TV that we had good support up there, but was also pretty clear to me someone in Richmond group chucked a can at the celebrating Penn players. That was disappointing. The Penn guys wisely ignored and moved over to their side.

Face-offs are definitely a significant factor, and it would be huge if we could regularly land an elite guy there. Just checked and our all-time FO win percentage is .498...can't get much more 50/50 than that, though you'd probably expect better considering our game win percentage is .615.

St Joes as an A10 LAX entrant will also enhance the conference RPI along with UMASS.The Philly Joe’s punched Yale in the face this past weekend and almost pulled off the upset.Very balanced with a toughness.
The Bonnies coach is A+ and have already begun to draw Canadian talent.
HPU will slide into the A10(with our assistance).LAX for them remains a priority sport.

Lets hope we win the bid to host the next 3-5years of the A10 LAX championship.Pony up PQ.

Bonnie coach bio:

Yup. I like the idea of Hobart as well. Fairfield I can live with but would prefer to leave them out. All the other programs have potential or a neat tradition. Too bad Jacksonville wasn't an affiliate or geographical fit for the conference since they're already in the ASun. We will have our work cut out for us. How does the incoming class look? Feel like keeping Dalton is going to be huge.

Yup. I like the idea of Hobart as well. Fairfield I can live with but would prefer to leave them out. All the other programs have potential or a neat tradition. Too bad Jacksonville wasn't an affiliate or geographical fit for the conference since they're already in the ASun. We will have our work cut out for us. How does the incoming class look? Feel like keeping Dalton is going to be huge.
2022 Class

Aidan O'NeilA08/11/2021Tabor AcademyLaxachusetts 2022 Black

--Aidan FairchildLSM10/16/2020Patriot High SchoolMadlax Capital 2022

--Jackson CarawanA09/24/2020St Francis De Sales High SchoolResolute 2022 Black

--Joseph SheridanM11/04/2020Malvern Preparatory School--

--Jack RicciardiA09/25/2020Briarcliff High SchoolLI Express 2022 Channy

Anthony DiCensoFO09/24/2021La Salle AcademyRI Bulldogs 2022 Black

Leo CaineA09/19/2021Upper Arlington High SchoolTrue Ohio 2022 State AAA-

Drew TenzerLSM07/30/2021Myers Park High SchoolTeam 24-7 2022

Jack PillingM12/12/2020La Salle College High SchoolBig 4 HHH 2022

Connor KellyD09/24/2020St John's Preparatory School3d New England 2022 Red

--Connor KnightG10/09/2021Jesuit College Prep School

Hobart grandfathered D3(Hopkins).Years ago had some really good teams.We have scheduled
Fairfield in previous years and I believe we have all Ws.Last game at Fairfield was played in snow.

Also believe some seniors will return for a pandemic bonus year.

ND likes to poach.Keep an eye on.

Last edited:
2022 Class

Aidan O'NeilA08/11/2021Tabor AcademyLaxachusetts 2022 Black

--Aidan FairchildLSM10/16/2020Patriot High SchoolMadlax Capital 2022

--Jackson CarawanA09/24/2020St Francis De Sales High SchoolResolute 2022 Black

--Joseph SheridanM11/04/2020Malvern Preparatory School--

--Jack RicciardiA09/25/2020Briarcliff High SchoolLI Express 2022 Channy

Anthony DiCensoFO09/24/2021La Salle AcademyRI Bulldogs 2022 Black

Leo CaineA09/19/2021Upper Arlington High SchoolTrue Ohio 2022 State AAA-

Drew TenzerLSM07/30/2021Myers Park High SchoolTeam 24-7 2022

Jack PillingM12/12/2020La Salle College High SchoolBig 4 HHH 2022

Connor KellyD09/24/2020St John's Preparatory School3d New England 2022 Red

--Connor KnightG10/09/2021Jesuit College Prep School

Hobart grandfathered D3(Hopkins).Years ago had some really good teams.We have scheduled
Fairfield in previous years and I believe we have all Ws.Last game at Fairfield was played in snow.

Also believe some seniors will return for a pandemic bonus year.

ND likes to poach.Keep an eye on.
A close personal friend’s grandson plays with Fairchild. He said we have a real stud coming in. He always played like a man among boys.

During the game broadcast between Terps and Hoos the announcer said that if Maryland goes undefeated they would be the first team to ever accomplish that.

That doesn’t seem like a lot, but I don’t know what kind of numbers they are looking for?
Also, most of the UR games were on ESPN+ . So, I wonder how they did?
Id be shocked if we had more than a few thousand watching the game tops.

I think what would be more telling - from a UR perspective, is how has the addition of Lacrosse impacted donations - to Lacrosse, Athletics, and maybe the University as a whole as the thought has always been (and one of the said reasons why Lacrosse was added to UR) that Lacrosse players for the most part come from wealthy families in the Northeast (Most - not all) and they are usually guys who end up in the banking and investment world and are usually good pockets for donations. WIth this being our 7th-8th year (not sure on exact number) - I wonder if there has been any uptick in donations - especially from the graduates of the lacrosse program.

Reactions: Eight Legger
MLAX raised $35k on giving day, which is decent but less than WLAX ($57k), MGOLF ($37k), football and baseball ($80k each) and men’s hoops ($118k).

Is there anything that Queally does right? Did Robins get attacked as much when he was the “money
man.” ? Or Ukrop?
I don’t know Queally. . Probably wouldn’t like him. But I appreciate him sharing his earned money with
his school.
What would you do with your money if you were as successful? Are there any Elon Musks on this site?
WHOOPS, got off track. Sorry.

Is there anything that Queally does right? Did Robins get attacked as much when he was the “money
man.” ? Or Ukrop?
I don’t know Queally. . Probably wouldn’t like him. But I appreciate him sharing his earned money with
his school.
What would you do with your money if you were as successful? Are there any Elon Musks on this site?
WHOOPS, got off track. Sorry.
Doubt $35k is a decimal point in Q’s charitable trust. Suppose he has done enough for lacrosse.

Last edited:
MLAX raised $35k on giving day, which is decent but less than WLAX ($57k), MGOLF ($37k), football and baseball ($80k each) and men’s hoops ($118k).
35K seems low right? Especially when you compare to WLAX and Men Golf - I would have expected Men;s Lacrosse to be up there behind Basketball and Football. Maybe they need a few more years to build a better alumni base?

Little bit OT but I wonder how much Todd Boehly is giving W&M. Good donor to have. I know he’s spearheading their athletics fund. The other W&M headliner for it I believe runs Queally’s old investment firm.

Little bit OT but I wonder how much Todd Boehly is giving W&M. Good donor to have. I know he’s spearheading their athletics fund. The other W&M headliner for it I believe runs Queally’s old investment firm.
’96 grad of Tribe.Attended Landon School Bethesda.He dabbles in sports….

“..Roman Abramovich's 19-year ownership of Chelsea is ending after the British government approved the sale of the Premier League club by the sanctioned Russian oligarch to a consortium fronted by Los Angeles Dodgers part-owner Todd Boehly…”

As well as being part owner of the MLB's Dodgers, Boehly also has minority stakes in the NBA's Los Angeles Lakers and WNBA's Los Angeles Sparks.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT