ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Lacrosse Tournament

faceoffs will be key today. Cant win 37% of the GBs like last week and expect to win. Hoping Penn not playing in their home venue causes a little disruption to their routine.

Their goalie has made 3 or 4 great saves but we’re creating lots of turnovers and we’re only down 6-4.

If you told me 7-6 I would take it. Esp after losing 2/3rds of the faceoffs. Penn's Goalie is the reason we aren't up by 2-3 goals right now. Long poles have messed up 2x on offense when we had numbers. Had no business shooting on that goalie whose been making great saves all game. Shouldn't of pursued on that last goal Penn scored either, both longpole and goalie were way out of position.

This game is winnable but as I said FO are going to be key. Fix the mistakes we made in the first half and well win this game.

Reactions: Eight Legger
Yeah it feels like owning the turnover battle the way we did that half, we really needed to be leading at the break. But we are going to be in this down the stretch, just have to play smart.

F****ING PREVENT OFFENSE doomed us there at the end. Got way too passive with too much time left on the clock after having cornered the Quakers. We needed to go for a knockout punch and preferred to defer to the clock.

Well that hurts about as much to losing to VCU in a basketball game. Didn't think I would want a lax game that badly lol.

Hell of an effort. Great season Spiders! On to A10 Lax!

Really tough one to lose. Thought we could run out the clock or close at the end. Definitely the best we’ve looked in the tourney, though, and considering we beat the #2 team and should have beaten the #3 team, I’d say we’ve reached the point as a program where the Final Four should be a realistic goal moving forward.

Just wondering how some can reconcile loving lacrosse, which wouldn't be at our school if not for PQ and the influence he has because of his donations, but hating PQ and the influence his money gives him on the basketball board?

Not being snarky, just genuinely curious. Seems inconsistent.

Doesn't seem too difficult...in one case people agree with how he's using his money/influence and in another case they don't. It doesn't have to be all or nothing.

(And of course plenty of people who like having lax hate the way it came about, though Queally puts that on Ayers.)

Reactions: Eight Legger
Just wondering how some can reconcile loving lacrosse, which wouldn't be at our school if not for PQ and the influence he has because of his donations, but hating PQ and the influence his money gives him on the basketball board?

I had never really paid attention to lacrosse before we got it. I still am only a novice viewer and fan, but the bottom line for me is that it’s easy to get behind a winning program that does things right, gets better and better and represents our school well. They play smart and win consistently. And the sport, as I have learned, is very entertaining.

I’m not a big a PQ fan, but lacrosse was about the most perfect fit possible for our school, and it’s working out well.

Reactions: KE Spider
I had never really paid attention to lacrosse before we got it. I still am only a novice viewer and fan, but the bottom line for me is that it’s easy to get behind a winning program that does things right, gets better and better and represents our school well. They play smart and win consistently. And the sport, as I have learned, is very entertaining.

I’m not a big a PQ fan, but lacrosse was about the most perfect fit possible for our school, and it’s working out well.
What he said!

Doesn't seem too difficult...in one case people agree with how he's using his money/influence and in another case they don't. It doesn't have to be all or nothing.

(And of course plenty of people who like having lax hate the way it came about, though Queally puts that on Ayers.)
It's OK to agree or disagree with him based on the sport, no problem with that. But his personality is the same, he is who he is. That's where the inconsistency lies.

There was no reason to drop soccer, when volleyball or softball could have easily been added to offset any Title IX concerns. We might be the only DI program that doesn't sponsor softball and volleyball.

Reactions: urfan1

Lacrosse started in the late 60’s at our school as a club team. We are, and always have been, the type of school that
supports lacrosse.
To attack a donor just shows your continued arrogance. Maybe we should have beach volley ball. Would that make you happy?

It's OK to agree or disagree with him based on the sport, no problem with that. But his personality is the same, he is who he is. That's where the inconsistency lies.

There was no reason to drop soccer, when volleyball or softball could have easily been added to offset any Title IX concerns. We might be the only DI program that doesn't sponsor softball and volleyball.
I still don’t see the inconsistency. You can dislike the guy and his personality and outsized influence while recognizing that some of the things he’s done have been good for the university.

We dropped soccer because of Ayers’ magic 13% rule. I really wish Queally could have pushed harder against that, if he truly cared.

Of course, it was already too late for my sport.

Coach, can we flip that thinking next year from not going to lose to we are going to win. That play it safe at the end attitude reminds me of the men’s bb coach and Mike London’s final game as our fb coach.

I have no issue with Lacrosse and PQ starting it - and I don't mind his involvement or lack of with Basketball. But I am willing to bet PQ is taking a victory lap this year with Lacrosse making tourney and then basketball, after sticking with Mooney (who many on this board say has the full support of PQ) and making that improbable A10 and NCAA run - I am sure PQ is touting himself as the smartest guy in the room, and why not - when the two places you put your money have success - you get to reap the benefits.

My only issue with Lacrosse from the start was the elimination of the soccer and track teams. That never seemed right to me. Especially two olympic sports and soccer especially which I would say has a big footprint in Richmond with all the club teams and the Richmond Kickers. Money, Title IX, watered down enrollment with more athletes - all seemed like excuses to me. We have the money and we could have kept the sports and added Lacrosse, we chose not to - and being an athletic supporter - I hate to see sports cut and losing student-athletes.

Lacrosse started in the late 60’s at our school as a club team. We are, and always have been, the type of school that
supports lacrosse.
To attack a donor just shows your continued arrogance. Maybe we should have beach volley ball. Would that make you happy?
JFC. I'm not attacking anyone. Just noting the inconsistency in a guy being hated for his influence on the basketball program and being loved for his starting the lacrosse program.

There must be a ton of arrogant people on this board. PQ is a favorite punching bag of the dump-Mooney crowd.

Not a fan of beach volleyball. It's Arena football compared to the real game, which we should have as a program, like 98% of other DI schools.

And I never saw anyone playing lacrosse at UR from 72-76. No one.

Reactions: CarolinaSpider
Yes what a game - give Delaware lots of credit - down 9-7 with around 4 minutes left and come back and pull it out! Starting in the play-in game and then taking down the 2 seed is quite an accomplishment!
Georgetown spent the week in preparation by reading how great they are.

in paraphrasing the great Yogi Berra

“Lacrosse is 90% mental.The other half is physical.You give 100% in the first half of the game,and if that isn’t enough in the second half you give what’s left“.

• Haha
Reactions: spider fan
Excerpt from Kessenich (reference above) - who agrees with Ferrum-

Richmond was :49 seconds and one clear away from the NCAA lacrosse quarterfinals. Credit Penn senior Ben Bedard for creating the game making turnover. With a one goal lead, Richmond played not to lose, a cardinal sin in lacrosse for those who remember the Towson vs Maryland in the NCAA first round game in 2019. In the shot clock era, it never pays to stall when you’re up one goal or tied. Extend your lead. Pull away. Don’t wait to get caught. If in doubt, throw the ball down the field, cheap it. Ice the puck and ride. Time is on your side. A turnover in your own zone is the one play that can’t happen.

JFC. I'm not attacking anyone. Just noting the inconsistency in a guy being hated for his influence on the basketball program and being loved for his starting the lacrosse program.

There must be a ton of arrogant people on this board. PQ is a favorite punching bag of the dump-Mooney crowd.

Not a fan of beach volleyball. It's Arena football compared to the real game, which we should have as a program, like 98% of other DI schools.

And I never saw anyone playing lacrosse at UR from 72-76. No one.
Hardy Ball was the sport then

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT