ADVERTISEMENT

Moonicorn!

brooklyn brownstone

Graduate Assistant
Oct 31, 2007
Can anyone tell me another coach who - after 18 years - can have an extremely specific "offense" that can have 4 shot clock violations in the endgame AND also give a no-shot-attempt possession while holding for last shot? Much less have TWO no-shot attempt possessions in tie games at end of regulation in the first 5 games of a season?

Seems to me we've got a MOONICORN on our hands!

I think he told the team not to shoot. Silly Chris! The ball is supposed to go IN the hoop! Maybe he can get out there and shoot next game.

Can you name me another coach who has coached an endgame that resulted in possessions like those listed?

I'll be waiting.

Moonicorn.

Last edited:
I think he told the team not to shoot. Silly Chris! The ball is supposed to go IN the hoop! Maybe he can get out there and shoot next game.

So you think Moonie drew up a masterful play that was a 110% guaranteed bucket but our guys are not talented enough and just incapable of running it and instead dribbled around and did nothing?

18 years and counting of zero adjustments. We don’t understand the zero defense. We don’t put our players in position to win. But we have another 10 years. To run the same offense with the same coach and hope for a miracle. Unless Mooney has a team of all time UR players he can’t win anything. His coaching totally blows it.

Jeez, man even the ESPN announcers said multiple times, Richmond needs to initiate its offense. Plainly visible to all, yet Mooney just sat there and did nothing. It was clear our young PG needed some help, did Mooney do anything, draw up a play to help get the offense going. Nope. He did not.

Stop throwing players under the bus to defend our 18 year head coach who is getting paid 7 figures to do this job. Not a good look.

Our problem with end game situations this year will be that Nelson is still young and inexperienced. In the past - you gave the ball to Gilyard, Anderson, Anthony - etc. You set a ball screen and let them drive and shoot or drive and kick. This year - our best player is Burton, but he is not particularly good at handling the ball off a ball screen - so to get him the last shot, which we probably want - you either have to run a specific play for him and get him coming off screens, or have someone drive and kick to him to get him open or in a spot where the defender is closing out. That is a lot to ask this year from a PG who has barely played the last 2 seasons other than practice.

I think Nelson will get to that point where we can trust him to make plays and set things up at the end of games, we are just not there yet 5 games into his first college season.

ADVERTISEMENT