ADVERTISEMENT

Mooney: Unlikely to add any more players for next year

SFspidur

Spider's Club
Gold Member
May 5, 2003
JOC interviewed Mooney about roster developments with guys coming back.

- All four incoming frosh remain committed despite the three seniors coming back for another year.
- Nobody has entered the transfer portal.
- Still no word on a decision from Sherod.
- Never say never, but unlikely we add any more guys at this point..."would have to be some kind of really unique situation."

JOC interviewed Mooney about roster developments with guys coming back.

- All four incoming frosh remain committed despite the three seniors coming back for another year.
- Nobody has entered the transfer portal.
- Still no word on a decision from Sherod.
- Never say never, but unlikely we add any more guys at this point..."would have to be some kind of really unique situation."

As I said, he is on his spring sabatical. JOC must have caught him in between taking his kids to their sports practices lounging by the pool, beers at the Tavern with PQ, maybe spreading some mulch. Just kidding, with his salary, he has people to do that for him.

Ok, so apparently no A J Williams if he decided he wanted to come?

Ok, so apparently no A J Williams if he decided he wanted to come?
yeah, unless great shooting HS kid from a nationally ranked program who's still available in April and wants to come to UR falls under "really unique situation".

Reactions: plydogg
Makes sense. I just don't see us being a fit for too many guys who are still out there. We also don't want to risk losing any of our recruits (this looks like another great recruiting class), and don't want to have so many players this year that we risk losing some experienced guys to a new guy who might not pan out. It is pretty amazing that with so many guys out there changing teams, not only did 3 of our seniors return, but no one has transferred, and all of our recruits are still on board.

Looking ahead to the next recruiting class, we should be a real good fit for some quality big guys since we lose Grant and Nate, and Sal and Grace, if they return, would only have 1 year left.

Reactions: SpiderDad75
I still have a feeling Nick is coming back and bringing his 15 points and 5 rebounds.

Reactions: Spider93
No chance. He’s had two devastating knee injuries. Why would he risk his mobility in the future to come back? Just don’t think it’s worth the risk.

No chance. He’s had two devastating knee injuries. Why would he risk his mobility in the future to come back? Just don’t think it’s worth the risk.
If there was no chance, he would have already said he wasn’t returning by now. Last I heard was in the RTD article last week, and his status was “undetermined”. Maybe he’s waiting to see how his knees feel a month from now, who knows.

Reactions: Spider93
Sherod has had such terrible luck with injuries and he can do whatever he wants. But I hope he chooses to return. No one should lose their senior year to injury like he did.

He may not be the same player he was coming off of 2 ACL's, but I suspect his locker room presence was missed last year. He is a leader.

That said, if he does return, it puts Mooney in an uncomfortable position as to how minutes are going to distributed. Does he give him to his returning senior sharpshooter and team leader or does he give him to our most athletically talented and best prospect Burton?

it could affect a few guys, but I don't think it affects Burton as much as some others.

if he were to play the 2, I'd want him to cut weight which would probably be a good idea anyway for the stress on his knees. playing there obviously affects Isaiah, Dji and Goose.

but more likely he plays forward. he could rotate with Burton and Cayo, all 3 getting 25-30 mpg. but that crushes Sal who was set for a bigger role. Sal then competes with Grace to backup at the 5 again.

it could affect a few guys, but I don't think it affects Burton as much as some others.

if he were to play the 2, I'd want him to cut weight which would probably be a good idea anyway for the stress on his knees. playing there obviously affects Isaiah, Dji and Goose.

but more likely he plays forward. he could rotate with Burton and Cayo, all 3 getting 25-30 mpg. but that crushes Sal who was set for a bigger role. Sal then competes with Grace to backup at the 5 again.
I can't see Nick playing the 2. He was not fleet of foot prior to his second ACL, think he would be a defensive liability against any quick 2 guard.

And yes, that is what I see is that he would give them all 25-30 minutes at the 3 and 4. Sal is the odd man out, which is a shame, but I think Sal has shown he can give us something different than Grace/Grant at the 5 with his length and play around the basket. Still tough sledding when they have to divide up maybe 10 max 15 minutes per game.

I suspect if he comes back (and I hope he does) he plays more of a sixth-man role. Or maybe he starts but plays 20 minutes a game, that sort of thing. Can't see him getting 35 minutes a game and risking another injury.

Sherod coming back would be great. As everyone on this board noticed, we had a lack of leadership, bball IQ and clutch shot making this past season compared to the one before - as evidenced by finishing seven slots below the prediction in conference. Nick brings all three of those elements. Hope he can come back healthy. Its a huge mental and physical effort to rehab to the level to play D1 hoops. On the flip side, if he can do that and avoid further injury I think it sets him up for future health and mobility. That is my though, though I am not a doctor, nor stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night, and only occasionally play one on TV

Will be a super crowded wing roster, but hey I am all for Nick playing in the NCAA and having a healthy senior senior year. He never relied on superior quickness or hops, but he has a great feel for making plays. I will be much much higher on our chances next year if we get a reasonably mobile NIck.

Nick's presence, leadership, shooting skills, and attitude are a great asset to the team. Not hard to imagine, with not one, but two ACL injuries, and the long rehab that follows he is giving in depth consideration to what playing again would mean. Wish him the best whether he plays again or not.......................

Reactions: urfan1
Completely agree with what pretty much everyone is saying. I don't see him being back to 100%, but I think he can help us off the bench and with his leadership.

He's here for more than just playing as many minutes as he can, and he'll be thankful for what he can contribute, so I'm confident he would embrace whatever role he can have.

He's also PERFECT for being the middle guy against a zone, because he can drill foul-line jumpers for days. He really makes it hard to zone against us.

Reactions: plydogg
Would love to see Nick come back and finish on a high note.

Also would love to see the crowd come back and pack the RC again.

I think Nick will come back, but probably more as a reserve. Having that shooting and leadership off the bench would be great.

Would be shocked if they allow a packed arena unless in order to attend you have a valid vaccination card in order to get in. Mostly likely will have seats open to season ticket holders, probably not much more unless the numbers are further down from where they currently are.

That said, if he does return, it puts Mooney in an uncomfortable position as to how minutes are going to distributed. Does he give him to his returning senior sharpshooter and team leader or does he give him to our most athletically talented and best prospect Burton?
You just can’t have too many good players. We had 8 or 9 at the beginning of this past year and ended up with 3 1/2 payers for the last game.

Reactions: SpiderRick
Nick Sherod is a class act and the heart and soul of the UR basketball team.
His return would really solidify what could be a very good term.
He is a natural leader and a team player, not to mention he is lights out
as a natural long range shooter.
I am proud of him for playing for his home town.
Nick, we really need you man and hope that you are able to come back.

The biggest thing I think we under appreciated about Sherod's game is how far out he forces the defense to defend. Opening up the modified Princeton O to do its thing.....

Reactions: SpiderK and urfan1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT