ADVERTISEMENT

Mooney to be UR coach next 15 to 20 years

Did 24-7 happen before or after 14-9, I forget? 🧐
The Top SRS season 24-7 was before the 6th SRS 14-9 season.

The good news is this season is 20th best
2023 SRS 3.98
1988 SRS 3.95
1984 SRS 3.57

So this is the best of those three seasons and quite a bit better than 1991 SRS 2.14...

Did 24-7 happen before or after 14-9, I forget? 🧐
Did 24-7 AND an A-10 tourney title AND a dance win over Iowa happen before or after all the stuff people keep bringing up on here? As for 14-9, if you told me before 2020, we would go 24-7 with a win over Wisconsin, 14-9 with a win at Kentucky, and 24-13 with an A-10 tourney title and a dance win over Iowa, I would say our program is in great shape, like really really great shape, and would take that 100 times out of 100. Obviously, you and others wouldn't because you have been so miserable the past 3+ years instead of enjoying such a great run.

Fresh, hot off of Friday night 11 and 9. I guess next year we won't be looking back at 24-7 and 2020 will fade into the background and blend in with 55% lifetime achievement.
Perfect! If hanging hat on 2020 and ignoring prior 2020, then next year 2020 goes off the board for recent justification on how good the program is. Can’t have it both ways.

I don’t know why 2020 and beyond is the magic measurement period. Long term stats carry more relevance. It’s not like we’re carrying momentum off of the magic year. So one can’t balance momentum off against 55 pct - our long term constant as well as 2018 forward.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
I don’t know why 2020 and beyond is the magic measurement period. Long term stats carry more relevance. It’s not like we’re carrying momentum off of the magic year. So one can’t balance momentum off against 55 pct - our long term constant as well as 2018 forward.
Right, I was really hopeful that Mooney was going to prove us wrong this year. He went out portaling and picked up three good, useful players - had all world Burton returning, and tons of winning experience in Goose and Grace. I even understood the couple of early season duds, but it seems like we have leveled off already. I get it, we have a freshman PG, but again this is where a JB would have had a guy like (can't remember the back up pg that turned into a starter for us) ready to fill in, and used Goose a little more, etc. We need a lot to go just right next season to make a big jump (jaynel/Smith play like junior/sr KA/Gonzo, Bigelow re-find his 3pt shot and be reasonable fasicimile to Burton, Quinn play consistent, etc etc) It could happen, but then again this is where I am not sure Mooney can direct it, that is the problem I see.

LOL. Because Richmond is a power conference team and is just like Notre Dame, right?

1. Mooney has done a great job here.

2. I don't think a new coach could do as well as Mooney has.

3. As a result, I would rather have Mooney as our coach.

4. I'm not sure why this opinion of mine is worthy of getting attacked on here everyday, but whatever.
He hasn’t done a good job. So 3 tourney appearances in 18 years is good? I’d take a stale loaf of bread over this bozo as coach

We need to get Mooney a LifeVac anti-choke device.

Last edited:
Outstanding game against Fordham. Tyler had one of his better games in A10 competition and Matt Grace had one of his best games as a Spider. Also need to give credit to Coach Mooney for making adjustments that helped overcome a 11 point deficit.

Sorry if you were not able to make the game in person, because the crowd was electrifying. Great day to be a Spider.

Win is a win. Celebrate! It has been a while coming.

Give Mooney credit for thinking outside of his normal locked in box. Adapted to game circumstances more so than we have often seen. Really broke the normal rigid player personal pattern. Like the long, quick pressing defensive package.

Live and learn. Take the lesson forward and win more.

Outstanding game against Fordham. Tyler had one of his better games in A10 competition and Matt Grace had one of his best games as a Spider. Also need to give credit to Coach Mooney for making adjustments that helped overcome a 11 point deficit.

Sorry if you were not able to make the game in person, because the crowd was electrifying. Great day to be a Spider.
URfan1, I can’t believe you liked this post!! I’ve never been more disappointed in your judgement.

Reactions: wr70beh
You’re raining on 80’s parade. Let him have his enjoyment after 4 straight brutal losses. We have to take what we can get, and that includes a win against Fordham - a team performing better in conference than we are.
Haha. Fair enough. Appreciate you throwing in the dagger that they are out-performing us.

Reactions: Long Island Spiders
I think better comment on Grace is one his best complete games from start to finish.
Matt has big time moments at key points in many games. Sunday we would have lost
by double figures without his game.

Reactions: gospidersgo
We need that Grace down the stretch!

Roche? Was he gimpy, was that the reason for the lack of minutes? I believe it was mentioned that Mooney made a comment about a bigger role for him prior to the game? Or maybe it was the nature of the contest and defensive battle that kept him out?

Reactions: gospidersgo

Roche? Was he gimpy, was that the reason for the lack of minutes? I believe it was mentioned that Mooney made a comment about a bigger role for him prior to the game? Or maybe it was the nature of the contest and defensive battle that kept him out?
yeah - not sure re: Roche - pretty sloppy TO in 1st half and got pulled quick and then was out most of the rest of the game .. found it a bit odd too

yeah - not sure re: Roche - pretty sloppy TO in 1st half and got pulled quick and then was out most of the rest of the game .. found it a bit odd too
He wasn't good, and didn't deserve to be out there.

It was observed on here by someone else recently, and I agree: he really, really needs to start being more authoritative and confident with the ball in stuff OTHER than jacking up a quick three. He absolutely has to start getting into triple threat position and be an actual threat to drive or dribble once in a while, or his effectiveness will continue to plummet. If he doesn't have 3-4 feet of space, he's looking to throw the ball away from himself as humanly fast as possible to the first teammate he sees, and it's starting to turn into turnovers because the other team knows it.

if mooney coached like this on a daily basis people wouldn't be mad

Reactions: DTSpider

I don’t think it was health reasons. He also suffered from the quick hook after his TO and he gave up an open look. But I think personally, it was the physicality of the game and defense like you said 23. Although I think he makes up for his lack of athleticism by his scrapping defensively. He’s not a horrible defender but his work ethic carries him.

Reactions: SpiderGuy
I would define "resurrect this thread and troll job" as hijacking almost ever thread and frequently creating new treads with the same message. Possibly also adding some derogatory comment relative to a poster that does not share your view. None of that applies with my recent post.

Reactions: Spiders4ever
I don’t think it was health reasons. He also suffered from the quick hook after his TO and he gave up an open look. But I think personally, it was the physicality of the game and defense like you said 23. Although I think he makes up for his lack of athleticism by his scrapping defensively. He’s not a horrible defender but his work ethic carries him.
Agree, from what I have seen he really scraps on defense and rarely has a mental lapse, but it sounded like this was a game that everyone was locked in on D so needed to match body with body.

Look forward to another sollout Robin Center. The Spiders have the best fans in the industry. Watching yesterday's GW game reminded me how terrible some of our competitors stadiums/game experiences are.

It is unfortunate that some people will try to negatively comment on our strong fan base. I bet GW couldn't fill that tiny terrible arena if it was free admissions and everyone got free tocos.

Go Spiders and hope to see you there!

• Haha
Reactions: 8legs1dream
Look forward to another sollout Robin Center. The Spiders have the best fans in the industry. Watching yesterday's GW game reminded me how terrible some of our competitors stadiums/game experiences are.

It is unfortunate that some people will try to negatively comment on our strong fan base. I bet GW couldn't fill that tiny terrible arena if it was free admissions and everyone got free tocos.

No “what a time to be a spider” this time?

I'm embarrassed for you after reading this.

I'm sure the GW fans had no qualms about their stadium and game experience traveling home after that victory last night but go on.

I'm sure the GW fans had no qualms about their stadium and game experience traveling home after that victory last night but go on.
They probably all rode over in one car.

BTW, it was a very exiting game to watch. Sounded like we had a lot of Spider fans at the game. It is too bad we lost.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT