ADVERTISEMENT

Mooney to be UR coach next 15 to 20 years

Sure, I can point to a number of things:

1. In frequent conversation with people on the university board and senior people within the administration, Mooney is very highly thought of. In addition, he was just signed to a long term contract half a year ago.

2. Our average attendance last year ranked 1st for all schools our size or smaller in the country and this year attendance is up 10% to 20% over last year. The Robin Center has been rocking the first 3 games of the year. Fans are voting approval for the program by filling seats.

3. The alumni Facebook page has over 8 thousand participants and posts relative to our basketball program have been overwhelmingly positive.

The fire Mooney crowd wanted him gone 3 years ago, which would have been a complete disaster. Mooney is a great coach and will be at U of R very long time. BTW, our average computer ranking has us at 4th in the A10, which is pretty impressive in a year we lost three 1000 point scorers.
This post is just very sad

I care about today and the future when evaluating a coach, with some credit or blame for recent past. I don't care that Mooney made the sweet 16 in 2011, or that he didn't dance at all for a long time after. that's all in the distant past.

in my mind, he did enough to make the dance 2 of the last 3 years. that's the recent past. and I'm happy with the current rebuild after losing a huge graduating class. and I really like the 2 man class he has right now (loved the 3 man class).

he's doing a very good job.
This is a fair point. Well stated.

This is a fair point. Well stated.
thanks. I should have added "now". there's a lag between recruiting and results. without question there was a period where recruiting fell below expectations. if we chose to let Mooney go in 2018 or 2019, nobody could have argued.

either the administration saw that he had righted the ship with recruiting or we wanted to burn off another year or two from the long term contract. either way, we've won a lot of games the past 3 seasons.

we don't win every game we think we should win. (the other team thinks they should win too, btw). it's frustrating at times. but the program is in really good shape.

The athletic just put out an article - putting coaches into Tiers - basically to be looked at you had to be either a power conference coach , or made it to NCAA or won your league in last 3 years.

Mooney was pretty highly thought of - in tier 4 with coaches like Becker (Vt), Rhoades, Dutcher (SDSU), Linder (wyoming) Mckay (Liberty), etc.

Tier 3 had guys like Anthony Grant, Porter Moser, Shaka, Jame Jone (yale) , Mike Youn, Bennett (st mary's)

Would assume firewalled, but here is link:

thanks. I should have added "now". there's a lag between recruiting and results. without question there was a period where recruiting fell below expectations. if we chose to let Mooney go in 2018 or 2019, nobody could have argued.

either the administration saw that he had righted the ship with recruiting or we wanted to burn off another year or two from the long term contract. either way, we've won a lot of games the past 3 seasons.

we don't win every game we think we should win. (the other team thinks they should win too, btw). it's frustrating at times. but the program is in really good shape.
Very good post. And, as much as many on here say all I do is praise Mooney no matter what, I was on here saying even though I felt we were headed for good things and I did not want to let Mooney go after the 20 loss seasons, I did say I understood if people disagreed with me then and felt otherwise. Now, after the past 3 seasons, I don't get why anyone would want him gone. I guess some fans will always want coaches fired, but recruiting has been solid, we showed we can get impact transfers, and we are winning a lot. That is why I am really satisfied with where we are right now. Others think we can and should do better. I, like you Sman, think the program is in really good shape.

As for the "should win" talk, I hear the we should be 6-0 talk and it's as if we are playing terrible teams. Yes, we "could" be 6-0, but that is a big difference from saying "should" be. Like you said, other teams think they should win too. If we would have come back from 21 down and beaten Charleston, they certainly would be thinking they "should have" won that game. Both teams can't win, and good teams like us lose games. Pretty much every team loses games they wish they had back. It happens and that is college basketball. Because fans usually only watch their own team, or watch their own team way more than others, they think only their team lets a late lead get away, or loses a few very winnable games.

I love this team, and love the talent we have put together only a few months after losing the guys we did. Our new PG is playing great, our transfers have fit right in, our chemistry looks great, our guys are busting their butts on defense out there and playing great defense, and our depth is good and showed when Randolph came in and gave us 21 really good minutes last game, which was a factor in beating a pretty good Temple team without one of our main guys.

This post is just very sad
What, exactly, is sad about it? I find it strange that a Richmond fan would be sad that we have a coach who is thought highly of, our attendance has been solid and the Robins Center has been rocking, our alumni FB page has been positive, and we have the 4th best average computer ranking in our conference right now. What the heck? Sad? So, you would like to have a coach who is thought of negatively, you would like low attendance and a quiet Robins Center, a bunch of negative posts out there, and a bad computer ranking? Unbelievable.

Reactions: UR80sfan
Aim high VT. Ha
15 teams in our conference. 6 games into our season after losing two 2,000 points scorers and two more 1,000 points scorers. Yes, I think an average computer ranking of fourth in our conference right now is pretty good. If you don't, no worries.

Mooney is a great coach and will be at U of R very long time.
Jaw dropped when read this. Second half is likely true, but the first half has no basis in fact.

Never intend to attack a fellow Spider on their view, but on what data is the first assertion based?

We pay a coach to run a clean program AND win games. Got half a deal.

56% winning percentage over 17 years would not be classified as Great by any impartial observer. Nice to lay it off on "haters" as some do, but don't see that. Just realists looking at the cold, hard, unvarnished data/results over nearly two decades. Data matters.

Swore would not wade in too deep on Mooney issues after last season, but can't let a statement like that go unchallenged.

80, you seem like a great Spider with deep connections to the power set. Have admirably attempted to bring more positivity to the basketball forum, but to assert "Mooney is a great coach" is a bridge too far for most Spider fans. We aren't blind.

80, you seem like a great Spider with deep connections to the power set.
So he claims. But when statements like this are made to me it validates that he is because the "power set" of leadership does seem to cocoon themselves and not fully understand or appreciate how the greater UR communities feels. Condescending for sure. I would use another term common these days, it is a bit of gaslighting.

Reactions: plydogg
We all want our Spiders to win! We would not spend so much time on this board or attending games if we didn't.

We also all celebrate our A10 championship and NCAA win last year.

It is reasonable for us to have a debate on how to continue to improve, though. It is reasonable to set a goal of making the NCAA every year and to make deeper runs. My goal is Final 4 and National Championship. Why shouldn't it be? Every time you succeed a little, shouldn't you want to keep it up and expand upon it. Believe me Kentucky or Kansas is not content to win the National Title once. Their goal is to win it every year, and why not.

So, we should never be content with an NCAA appearance every 10 years. We shouldn't be content with an NCAA appearance every other year. We should always strive for more. We should not consider a NIT bid a success. That should be a down year. We should never hear a qualifying statement like 'For a school like Richmond...' Believe in us. We are in position to do very well. We need to embrace that mentality I was so proud we had at the A10 tournament last year. We as fans and players knew we could win, and it showed up in our enthusiastic, big, determined crowd and our players energy.

Keep that charge about us. Believe we can do more. Don't be satisfied to be a one hit wonder. Look for what worked and didn't, and always look to continuously improve. Keep a higher vision always, and don't be afraid to correct what needs to be corrected.

We turned the headwinds into great recruiting. Keep it up Mooney; that was great! Player loyalty is a big plus for Mooney and a big advantage in the transfer portal era. But to make that work, he must figure out how to develop players much faster. Be honest about what is working and what isn't.

Notice why we were successful at year's end. It was the energy and determination. A deliberate controlled style may be necessary in some situations, but don't let the energy drain. We have high level athletes who just want to win. Let them play that way. It will go a long way, that one. This was the biggest reason we made a late season run. Acknowledge it. Expand upon it. Mooney lacks in this department. Notice that. Improve upon it. Let assistants help. We need peptalks and fire. It works.

Rebounding is obviously another major issue. Obviously, you need rebounds to win games. It is a major part of basketball. It also provides that energy. Acknowledge that. Work on it. Emphasize it.

We don't agree on everything here. We shouldn't. You can't improve without hearing the other side or acknowledging areas where you need improvement.

Mooney is not all bad. But he does have flaws. We can do better. Much better. And we should strive for better. We are not 'little ole poor Richmond' We must dissolve that mentality. We took a big step in that direction with our fan base last A10 tournament and post season. Let's build on that.

We've stumbled out of the gates this year. We should acknowledge that and accept it rather than justify it. Expect better. We can do better. I can do better. We can all do better. I was a pissy bitch yesterday. I acknowledge and am embarrassed by it. I can do better. That's not the recipe for success. Let's all strive to be better fans. That doesn't mean blind loyalty to things that can and should be corrected, but it does mean believing in ourselves and our program. Great things are possible here. We have most of the ingredients already! GO SPIDERS!

We all want our Spiders to win! We would not spend so much time on this board or attending games if we didn't.

We also all celebrate our A10 championship and NCAA win last year.

It is reasonable for us to have a debate on how to continue to improve, though. It is reasonable to set a goal of making the NCAA every year and to make deeper runs. My goal is Final 4 and National Championship. Why shouldn't it be? Every time you succeed a little, shouldn't you want to keep it up and expand upon it. Believe me Kentucky or Kansas is not content to win the National Title once. Their goal is to win it every year, and why not.

So, we should never be content with an NCAA appearance every 10 years. We shouldn't be content with an NCAA appearance every other year. We should always strive for more. We should not consider a NIT bid a success. That should be a down year. We should never hear a qualifying statement like 'For a school like Richmond...' Believe in us. We are in position to do very well. We need to embrace that mentality I was so proud we had at the A10 tournament last year. We as fans and players knew we could win, and it showed up in our enthusiastic, big, determined crowd and our players energy.

Keep that charge about us. Believe we can do more. Don't be satisfied to be a one hit wonder. Look for what worked and didn't, and always look to continuously improve. Keep a higher vision always, and don't be afraid to correct what needs to be corrected.

We turned the headwinds into great recruiting. Keep it up Mooney; that was great! Player loyalty is a big plus for Mooney and a big advantage in the transfer portal era. But to make that work, he must figure out how to develop players much faster. Be honest about what is working and what isn't.

Notice why we were successful at year's end. It was the energy and determination. A deliberate controlled style may be necessary in some situations, but don't let the energy drain. We have high level athletes who just want to win. Let them play that way. It will go a long way, that one. This was the biggest reason we made a late season run. Acknowledge it. Expand upon it. Mooney lacks in this department. Notice that. Improve upon it. Let assistants help. We need peptalks and fire. It works.

Rebounding is obviously another major issue. Obviously, you need rebounds to win games. It is a major part of basketball. It also provides that energy. Acknowledge that. Work on it. Emphasize it.

We don't agree on everything here. We shouldn't. You can't improve without hearing the other side or acknowledging areas where you need improvement.

Mooney is not all bad. But he does have flaws. We can do better. Much better. And we should strive for better. We are not 'little ole poor Richmond' We must dissolve that mentality. We took a big step in that direction with our fan base last A10 tournament and post season. Let's build on that.

We've stumbled out of the gates this year. We should acknowledge that and accept it rather than justify it. Expect better. We can do better. I can do better. We can all do better. I was a pissy bitch yesterday. I acknowledge and am embarrassed by it. I can do better. That's not the recipe for success. Let's all strive to be better fans. That doesn't mean blind loyalty to things that can and should be corrected, but it does mean believing in ourselves and our program. Great things are possible here. We have most of the ingredients already! GO SPIDERS!
Here, here.

So he claims. But when statements like this are made to me it validates that he is because the "power set" of leadership does seem to cocoon themselves and not fully understand or appreciate how the greater UR communities feels. Condescending for sure. I would use another term common these days, it is a bit of gaslighting.
I'd have to question what it is that the board and "leadership" know about sports and especially basketball. I don't think they operate by the management techniques and leadership concepts that were taught to us in the Business School. Having power, authority, and decision making doesn't make one effective nor productive . That's not a definite correlation. In our case, I believe the 3 concepts from the prior sentence are an anchor to the basketball program.

They stuck with the same coach for 11 years in between NCAA appearances. In my mind, that should be the ultimate goal - participate in the NCAA to represent the university. I'm just not sure that's a top priority. Since it probably isn't then that would explain why an 11 year gap is not only allowed & perpetuated but rewarded.

Last edited:
I know you all often want to apply business management principles to the bball program but it’s probably closer to an NGO than a publicly traded company. I just don’t think those concepts really apply.

I'd have to question what it is that the board and "leadership" know about sports and especially basketball. I don't think they operate by the management techniques and leadership concepts that were taught to us in the Business School. Having power, authority, and decision making doesn't make one effective nor productive . That's not a definite correlation. In our case, I believe the 3 concepts from the prior sentence are an anchor to the basketball program.

They stuck with the same coach for 11 years in between NCAA appearances. In my mind, that should be the ultimate goal - participate in the NCAA to represent the university. I'm just not sure that's a top priority. Since it probably isn't then that would explain why an 11 year gap is not only allowed & perpetuated but rewarded.
Sad, but true. Winning isn't valued. Competing is. Athletic department has said it in the past. 11 years between NCAA for an A10 team is pathetic and pisses me off just thinking about it. But I value winning, not competing.

UR80sfan said:
Mooney is a great coach and will be at U of R very long time.

After nearly two decades, we get this tonight. NO surprise. Seen this TOO many times over the years.

Not dissing anyone, but how anyone could believe CM is a "great" coach is baffling. Spiders deserve better. Ridiculous that this game even was scheduled, let alone blown.

He has 3 seasons with a winning % over .650 at Richmond, out of 17 full seasons. I'm pretty confident it will go to 3/18 after this one. Not even asking for .666 (2 out of 3) here.

.560 overall

His Air Force winning % actually raises his overall winning %.

He has 3 seasons with a winning % over .650 at Richmond, out of 17 full seasons. I'm pretty confident it will go to 3/18 after this one. Not even asking for .666 (2 out of 3) here.

.560 overall

His Air Force winning % actually raises his overall winning %.

But but but his first 3 years he was Mooney-fying the program after that gosh awful coach ruined it before him. We shouldn’t count those years in the overall Mooney experience.

- a Mooney truther, probably.

LOL waking up and looking at the box score of last night's game. Thought for sure an easy W. And then this is the second thread I see.

Mooney to be UR coach next 15 to 20 years​

I believe possibly the Eighth Amendment stating "nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted" pertains to having to continually view this going forward.

LOL waking up and looking at the box score of last night's game. Thought for sure an easy W. And then this is the second thread I see.

Mooney to be UR coach next 15 to 20 years​

I believe possibly the Eighth Amendment stating "nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted" pertains to having to continually view this going forward.
Give me liberty or give me death

BIZARRO WORLD

Oops! Not saying that it will be you, but, the first one who says wait until next year needs to have their head examined.

Reactions: SpiderK
I doubt we see UR80fan and VT around here for a little bit. When the cold water of reality hit their Mooney fanboy routine square in the face, they usually scurry like a bunch of rats for a couple of weeks. Enjoy the respite, Spider nation.

I doubt we see UR80fan and VT around here for a little bit. When the cold water of reality hit their Mooney fanboy routine square in the face, they usually scurry like a bunch of rats for a couple of weeks. Enjoy the respite, Spider nation.
VT yes (see last year when he disappeared until the tournament). 80fan, well it's Monday, he's back on the clock, so see something straight from Mooney's PR team as soon as it's percolated.

It is amazing that this team, which many people on this board are constantly criticizing are 4-2 in the A10 and tied for 4th place. Once we get past VCU and Dayton, it should be clear sailing the rest of the year. Great time to be a Spider!

Whatever the athletic department is paying you to be the glass-completely-full-at-all-times guy, kudos to you. Hope the checks cash.

Reactions: wr70beh
I would be very happy if Mooney is our coach for the next 15-20 years. I think our program is in great shape right now, and will continue to be going forward.

I love the kids we recruit. Talented players and class acts with a team first attitude. Our team chemistry is usually outstanding. You know we have something special here when all of our top players stayed here the past few years at a time when thousands of players were going elsewhere. Like Tyler said, why would he want or need to go anywhere else? The present looks bright and the future looks bright!

It is amazing that this team, which many people on this board are constantly criticizing are 4-2 in the A10 and tied for 4th place. Once we get past VCU and Dayton, it should be clear sailing the rest of the year. Great time to be a Spider!
I don't want to "get by" VCU and Dayton to fluff our record with wins against easy teams.

I want to beat both of them and be top dog in this conference.

I would be very happy if Mooney is our coach for the next 15-20 years. I think our program is in great shape right now, and will continue to be going forward.
So 55% over 17.5 years is the best we can do. Really?

I know, I know we were 24-7 in 2020 and have a good record over past 3.5 years. Crops in season, let's go cherry picking.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8legs1dream

Ah, most of us here aren't criticising the team. And most of us would LOVE to be proven wrong, because believe it or not Mr. 80s, we LOVE our Spiders and want nothing but success.

Quit painting us all with a broad hate brush....now back to the beach, 85 and beautiful here in the South Island!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: plydogg
Ah, most of us here aren't criticising the team. Get your head out of Mooney's arse and pay attention. And most of us would LOVE to be proven wrong, because believe it or not Mr. 80s, we LOVE our Spiders and want nothing but success.

Quit painting us all with a broad hate brush....now back to the beach, 85 and beautiful here in the South Island!
He said "many people on this board". He's not wrong. Far from it. Just read any thread on here and you will see how right he is. We have won 4 of 5, we are 4-2 IC, we have a huge game tomorrow against VCU, and just read our pathetic excuse for a message board. Read any thread. Just look at the first post of the VCU game thread. Your "we" obviously does not speak for everyone. "We" shouldn't have "fans" post on here that they hope we lose to VCU by 50. But, it is what it is here, and that is the type fan that gets praised on here.

And, most of you were proven wrong last year and that lasted all of about 3 games into this season before 90+% of this board became a daily negative, whine and complain show again.

Last edited by a moderator:
To be clear, are you suggesting that we are about to run the table and finish 16-2 in the league?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT