ADVERTISEMENT

Mooney to be UR coach next 15 to 20 years

And, if we go this year and next, the board will scream "5 for 19, we can do better", and then jump all over me when I say the last 5 years have been great and would be the appropriate years to focus on.
3 for 17 is a fact. We have almost completely eliminate ourselves from at large consideration already. I really hope we turn it around but at this point I feel pretty confident we won't make the tournament this year and next. Of course that is based on CM's track record, something you tend to ignore.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
Right, because clearly I was naming EVERY coach who had ever coached someplace for 35 years or more... Sorry, I forgot you would interpret everything exactly literally. My point was that the coaches who last 35 years at one school in division 1 are legends. Average coaches don't stay for 35 years.

Mite found two examples in the history of college basketball beyond the type of guy I mentioned. There probably are a handful of others too, out of probably 10,000 or more coaches. So yes, the odds are infinitesimally small, as I said. I didn't say NO ONE could do it, I say it was incredibly rare. And it is.

By the way, on the list Mite cited, there were exactly two coaches out of those 125 who spent 35+ consecutive years at their schools and had less than a 56% winning percentage.
Who knows what his percentage will be if he is here 35 years? So, since you obviously think he won't be here that long, what is your prediction on when his final year here might be?

Who knows what his percentage will be if he is here 35 years? So, since you obviously think he won't be here that long, what is your prediction on when his final year here might be?

I think if our planet were to be ripped asunder by a cosmic fireball Mooney would still find a way to continue to cash checks from the University of Richmond.

• Haha
Reactions: Zeeter and wr70beh
Well, if he wins about 63% of his games here for the next 18 years, which would amount on average to about 23-13 every year, it would push his overall winning percentage here just over 60%. If he did that, I'd gladly let him stay 18 more years.

15 years from now wouldn’t Mooneys son be on the team? Anyways, based on history and numbers Mooney will win about 56 percent of his games.

Danny will be on the team in about five years, I think. In 15, he'll be a seasoned assistant coach.

Danny is going to be a great player for us, I'll say that. He's small now but I foresee a pretty significant and quick growth spurt pretty soon.

Right, because clearly I was naming EVERY coach who had ever coached someplace for 35 years or more... Sorry, I forgot you would interpret everything exactly literally. My point was that the coaches who last 35 years at one school in division 1 are legends. Average coaches don't stay for 35 years.

Mite found two examples in the history of college basketball beyond the type of guy I mentioned. There probably are a handful of others too, out of probably 10,000 or more coaches. So yes, the odds are infinitesimally small, as I said. I didn't say NO ONE could do it, I say it was incredibly rare. And it is.

By the way, on the list Mite cited, there were exactly two coaches out of those 125 who spent 35+ consecutive years at their schools and had less than a 56% winning percentage.
Game, set and match.

You said, "Going forward most believe Mooney's winning percentage will be high."

Question - Who is most, and where did you come up with this? Was there a survey I missed, or are you hearing noises in the hallways of the RC at halftime?
Sure, I can point to a number of things:

1. In frequent conversation with people on the university board and senior people within the administration, Mooney is very highly thought of. In addition, he was just signed to a long term contract half a year ago.

2. Our average attendance last year ranked 1st for all schools our size or smaller in the country and this year attendance is up 10% to 20% over last year. The Robin Center has been rocking the first 3 games of the year. Fans are voting approval for the program by filling seats.

3. The alumni Facebook page has over 8 thousand participants and posts relative to our basketball program have been overwhelmingly positive.

The fire Mooney crowd wanted him gone 3 years ago, which would have been a complete disaster. Mooney is a great coach and will be at U of R very long time. BTW, our average computer ranking has us at 4th in the A10, which is pretty impressive in a year we lost three 1000 point scorers.

We lost four 1,000 point scorers, not 3. Or, you can break it down farther and say we lost two 2,000 point scorers and two more 1,000 point scorers. To turn around a year later and put together the team we have now is very impressive.

It's funny that the 15 or so Mooney haters on here just can't accept the fact that so many Spider fans are glad he is our coach. They are outnumbered thousands to 15, but still think the thousands are the crazy ones. Hilarious.

Last edited:
Reactions: AnnapSpider
Hopefully CMs winning percentage improves, it would be disappointing to have extended him and end up with more of the same. To VTs point, his last three years have been better than the 7 or so before that, so gotta hope recent history is the new normal.

I went on a guys weekend with some guys last spring, all Richmond grads and sports fans. No one brought up Mooney or hoops. I finally did and got a very lukewarm response. Excited about the NCAA appearance, but not really pumped for the program or long term chances. Admittedly a couple of the guys not real hoops fans, but a couple I know I used to debate , being on pro Mooney side, them being on anti Mooney side. The years apparently moved them to the Mooney who cares side.

1. In frequent conversation with people on the university board and senior people within the administration, Mooney is very highly thought of. In addition, he was just signed to a long term contract half a year ago.

2. Our average attendance last year ranked 1st for all schools our size or smaller in the country and this year attendance is up 10% to 20% over last year. The Robin Center has been rocking the first 3 games of the year. Fans are voting approval for the program by filling seats.

3. The alumni Facebook page has over 8 thousand participants and posts relative to our basketball program have been overwhelmingly positive.

The fire Mooney crowd wanted him gone 3 years ago, which would have been a complete disaster. Mooney is a great coach and will be at U of R very long time. BTW, our average computer ranking has us at 4th in the A10, which is pretty impressive in a year we lost three 1000 point scorers.
A great post. At 3 and 3 we're right on schedule for another representative Mooney year.

I am wishing for him to succeed, but history says he will have several down to mediocre years in between. I still have hope for this season, but we have left some real nice opportunities on the table. Players have to make plays, but coaches need to put them in position, and it just didn't seem like that was the case in multiple end of game possessions.
Again, moon filled in the roster nicely this off season, and I believe we have top 3 talent in conference.

Reactions: plydogg
That's the funny thing, the Mooney backers just keep trying to win this debate, but they have already won it for the next 4 to 5 years. He is not going anywhere. I am hoping he can improve. He has shown some areas of improvement, working the portal very nicely. I think with Trevor Smith in the fold, in addition to Jaynel we will have a nice NCAA window in a couple years. Would love to see us bring in one athletic big every 2 to 3 seasons. And execute and stay on the attack in end game situations.

guy-arguing.gif

Feels like I’m arguing with a brick wall

Reactions: wr70beh and whampas
Count me in the pro Mooney crowd for now. Not saying he is coach 4 life, just that I like where he is at and where I feel like we are going.

The fire Mooney crowd wanted him gone 3 years ago, which would have been a complete disaster.

You are always asking for facts and references to back up our statements, so please tell me you references for this statement. Why would it have been a complete disaster? You think that NO OTHER COACH could have possibly won with the same group of players?

And if you say "most of the players would have transferred out", then tell me what your references are for that.

What a dumb posts. Everybody on this board cheers for the spiders. You can also make an observation that we’d likely be much better with a better coach.
People who want Mooney to fail are not cheering for the Spiders. Because if he fails, the Spiders lose. When the coach succeeds, the team succeeds.

It's not that difficult a concept to understand.

Maybe we would be better with a better coach. That's not my decision to make. So until one is hired, I'll support the one we have and hope he wins every game.

People who want Mooney to fail are not cheering for the Spiders. Because if he fails, the Spiders lose. When the coach succeeds, the team succeeds.

It's not that difficult a concept to understand.

Maybe we would be better with a better coach. That's not my decision to make. So until one is hired, I'll support the one we have and hope he wins every game.
That's a noble attitude but if he went 5 and 25 in back to back years would you be as supportive. Where do you draw the line?

What a dumb posts. Everybody on this board cheers for the spiders. You can also make an observation that we’d likely be much better with a better coach.
People on this board were hoping we would lose last year, and even this year we have already heard that some wished we would not have won the A-10 and the tourney game last year.

Over the last 13 years we have had 4 NCAA quality teams (including 2019-2020) and 3 NITs. Over the last 3 years we have had 2 NCAA quality teams and an NIT. Mooney was able to have built a 1st class training facility. Our recruiting has significantly improved since the Grant/Sherod class and we recently had a terrific off season reload. After 6 games with a freshman point guard, many new players on the team, and missing one of our starters, our average computer ranking is 93rd, which I expect will get better as the season goes on. https://masseyratings.com/cb/compare.htm Mooney has been able to achieve this success while running a clean program and recruiting within the school’s academic standards for athletes. I believe he has the support of the board and administration, along with a majority of alumni. Unless he is hired away for substantially more money, I expect him to be at U of R until he retires.
Do you have a picture of Moon above your bed or on your nightstand? Just curious.

Count me in the pro Mooney crowd for now. Not saying he is coach 4 life, just that I like where he is at and where I feel like we are going.
I can understand this. If he gets to the NCAAs this season, I am jumping rat ships and back on pro Mooney ship. I was the pro Mooney guy before 4700, 80s and all knew of message boards. Get us to NCAAs and find us a an equivalent replacement or better for Reed and I will be president of the fan club.

That's a noble attitude but if he went 5 and 25 in back to back years would you be as supportive. Where do you draw the line?
I'll support whomever is coaching, and want him to succeed. I'm fully capable of supporting a coach by wanting him to win, yet realizing when he is falling short and has to be replaced (heck, I donate to the baseball program).

I suspect if he went 5-25 two years running, he'd be fired. Then I would fully support the new coach.

Reactions: urfan1
I care about today and the future when evaluating a coach, with some credit or blame for recent past. I don't care that Mooney made the sweet 16 in 2011, or that he didn't dance at all for a long time after. that's all in the distant past.

in my mind, he did enough to make the dance 2 of the last 3 years. that's the recent past. and I'm happy with the current rebuild after losing a huge graduating class. and I really like the 2 man class he has right now (loved the 3 man class).

he's doing a very good job.

Funny how all anyone looks at are the numbers. And 55% doesnt seem that bad. But if you watched most of the games and see the games when we lost to teams we never should have lost to, with very talented players who deserved to win more games, and when the team very rarely if ever, before end of last year, won a big game as an underdog, and often blew late leads due to choking and terrible late game execution… then the 55% is much worse.

Funny how all anyone looks at are the numbers. And 55% doesnt seem that bad. But if you watched most of the games and see the games when we lost to teams we never should have lost to, with very talented players who deserved to win more games, and when the team very rarely if ever, before end of last year, won a big game as an underdog, and often blew late leads due to choking and terrible late game execution… then the 55% is much worse.
Yes, that is a fear this year. That is why I say it is a big litmus test. I am a big believer in the talent we have this year. No, it does not look comparable to the Syracuse or a P5 school when you watch the layup/dunk line. But, I think it is very very good for the A10. Very nice rebuild. I was expecting some bumps early in the season, which we have had. The issue is, all these other teams are in constant rebuild mode too. So would have been nice to win 2 , or even 1 of those winnable games. I mean Syracuse game was their for the taking, though they look average so far this year, but would have been nice to win it. Still a lot of time left, but not sure how we build an NCAA resume. Need to beat SLU, Dayton and VCU.

We have a real path to finishing 9-4 in OOC play which would be a total success for the players and for Mooney. Now going 6-1 over the next 7 is never an easy task and maybe we go 5-2, but hopefully we don’t go 4-3 or worse.

Never underestimate an opponent, but I think we have 2 easy wins in Fairleigh Dickinson and Coppin State. After that I think we should be able to beat Bucknell and William & Mary. Clemson, Drake, and Toledo will be the ones where we really need to take at least one victory. Let’s start with a win on Wednesday and get a win streak going

Reactions: UR80sfan
yes. and I'd argue we "need" 2 of 3 of the Clemson/Drake/Toledo if not all 3, since we already dropped 3/5 of the mid/high major games on the schedule. Toledo for me is a litmus test as with new pieces, as you can (not saying you should) argue that there has been an adjustment period to new players and rotations. But following 6 games and then an 8 day layoff, I have expectations on those adjustments being made and close Ls turning into Ws.

Yes, that is a fear this year. That is why I say it is a big litmus test. I am a big believer in the talent we have this year. No, it does not look comparable to the Syracuse or a P5 school when you watch the layup/dunk line. But, I think it is very very good for the A10. Very nice rebuild. I was expecting some bumps early in the season, which we have had. The issue is, all these other teams are in constant rebuild mode too. So would have been nice to win 2 , or even 1 of those winnable games. I mean Syracuse game was their for the taking, though they look average so far this year, but would have been nice to win it. Still a lot of time left, but not sure how we build an NCAA resume. Need to beat SLU, Dayton and VCU.
You said it at the end. That is how we build an NCAA resume. Beat the good teams in our conference. And, if we do that, we might as well win the regular season title. Even if the A-10 appears to be struggling early, I think the regular season winner would likely get a bid.

Reactions: spider23
Bottom line, this team should expect to make the NCAAs however it has to. If you tell me today that we will win the A10 tourney again, awesome. I won't worry as much about losing the three games we lost but should have won. The problem, of course, as it was last year, is that we don't know that until it happens, and it would be nice to have multiple potential paths to the NCAA. Realistically, we can't really afford another OOC loss if we want to keep that goal alive this year.

That’s an odd thing to hang your hat on. I’m an alum and I avoid Facebook like the plague. I’m sure a lot more do, too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT