ADVERTISEMENT

Mooney pushing to expand NCAA tournament

I've understood Moon's points on NCAA tourney expansion and scheduling inequity, but Rothstein tweet response was not the only thing confusing. The Mooney clip was too.

So he proposes Rothstein get the A10 not Richmond 8 H&H's (presumably from P6 but never stated I assume just missing context from clip), gets paid by A10, but would publicly divulge why schools decline to play Richmond?? But Moon u just said it was about the league so that was odd follow.

Also aren't we already paying another prominent media member JOE LUNARDI to essentially do this? Who else can we get Bill Walton? We r cornering the market. If the Rothstein RFP goes through maybe we can at least get a rebate on Joey Bags.

Lastly someone should clue Mooney into A10 rankings. While there r varied ranking systems the A10 is no longer coming in 7th or 8th. It used too but I think it's been 8th maybe once in last 6 years. Which is a long enough trend. More like 10th best conference.
I don’t think we’re still paying lunardi. I also don’t think lunardis role was to get us games, it was to suggest opponents who likely projected at the intersection of beat-ability and NET value.

I actually love the idea of putting a loudmouth tweeter on point to call out P6s that want to expand but won’t play mids and lows.

Reactions: urfan1
Must have been a slow Twitter day since Mooney said all that after the GW win (Jan 4). I don’t think it surprises anyone that the mid-majors can’t get home at homes. The power conferences teams fans don’t want to see their team play at a mid-major school, just like all the Forum members that don’t what UR playing at W&M. Stop complaining and get in the best MTEs. Focus on what you can control - recruiting and preparing your team for competition..

Reactions: urfan1
I don’t think we’re still paying lunardi. I also don’t think lunardis role was to get us games, it was to suggest opponents who likely projected at the intersection of beat-ability and NET value.

I actually love the idea of putting a loudmouth tweeter on point to call out P6s that want to expand but won’t play mids and lows.

Yes I was kidding. What u say was the pr line but Lunardi really doesn’t have any special insight imo into scheduling strategy. Any staff should esp one supposedly high on analytics. Think it was media ploy similar to this Rothstein stuff.

Also we were still paying him as recently as last year. Whether that continued into this season is anyone’s guess.

They almost certainly just paid for just a spreadsheet of predicted Selection Sunday NET values for all D1 teams to help with scheduling. I believe that this service is offered by many of the stats people.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT