ADVERTISEMENT

MLAX conference redo

Not sure how I feel about that, but we don’t have a lot of options. Geographically disperse, but makes sense with A-10 grouping/footprint and including High Point helps. Lots of excellent local nonconference opponents also helps.

No big names in the group, so could be wide open many years. Also no cellar dwellers, which is nice. Just a lot of decent programs.

Would make sense...February or early March conference game at the Bonnies would be shivering.....................

As I said in other threads best option besides a miracle placement in the B10/BE, the A10 adding it is probably the best option. Don't think we can shoehorn our way into the CAA and perhaps UMASS would like some more independence/freedom in their scheduling leaving that conference.

I'd like to think the A10 adding it may convince another school or two to add lax as well. Maybe with all the money the state is throwing at VDU and their new mega sports complex they would add it as well. Davidson, Duquense and Fordham would also be good candidates to add the sport.

In the mean time I can get down with this 6 team A10. Kind of prefer it over the current SOCON. Now bring back FCS football.

Reactions: 32counter
With Lindenwood moving up to D-I, the OVC doesn't sponsor lax so they'll be looking for a home. Their location in Missouri kind of puts them on an island, so the catch-all ASUN is probably the best fit for them. Think Bellarmine would be the closest school to them anyway.

Posted a few weeks ago. If you look in the lower comments apparently UMASS didn't want to announce early lest the be banned from the CAA tournament and to expect an announcement sometime around may.

Reactions: urfan1
So it looks like everybody has a home now…Hampton to CAA, UR to a new A-10 with High Point tagging along as an associate, and VMI associate to the MAAC.

Assuming the A10 announcement is forthcoming the conference would look like this.

Richmond 10-4: Conference Champs 4 NCAA Tourneys
St. Joes 13-3: playing Hobart today for conference title.
Hobart 7-5: playing St. Joes for conference title. 5 NCAA Appearances, Former D3 Mt. Union of LAX
High Point 7-8: SOCON semis, 1 NCAA Appearance
UMASS 8-6: 20 NCAA appearances, 3 final 4s. 2006 Runner-Up
St. Bonaventure 11-3: New program but improving in wins each season.

UMASS played in the best conference while id argue the rest of these teams wouldn't win the SOCON but are clearly better programs than the bottom half of the SOCON.

Id say this is a better conference and it'll be us and UMASS jockeying for the title in the beginning. I don't know how good HPU is going to be with Nolting finally graduating. I hope that this lights a fire and encourages one or two other schools in the A10 to add it since they would have a conference home. Namely Davidson, VCU, GW, Duquense, or Forhdam. Its not like it takes forever to become a good program. Several ranked programs in the lax poll that didn't even exist 10 years ago.

GW, Fordham and Davidson seem the best candidates, solely considering type of school and location.

NEC lax is on hiatus, specifically citing the A-10 adding lax as St. Joe's and Hobart will be coming over from there. They're also losing Bryant to America East and Mount St. Mary's to the MAAC, so they were down to just four lax programs. LIU, Sacred Heart, and Wagner will be associate members of the MAAC for lax, while Merrimack, which is in the middle of transitioning to D-I, has yet to announce a landing spot.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT