ADVERTISEMENT

Men's Lacrosse 3-0

MidloTrader

Team Manager
Mar 13, 2010
Congrats to team for three impressive wins so far this season -- vs Kentucky, WVU and ECU. They're playing VT, a top 10 team, this Sat on campus. Know write ups don't go on our website for club, but UR Collegian covers them. Here's link to today's article.

This post was edited on 2/25 3:06 PM by MidloTrader

Spiders Overpower ECU

are those three teams "club" teams as well? how many varsity lax programs are out there as opposed to club teams and when all the club teams become varsity, won't we be in the exact same position as we are with other sports, the bcs conferences dominate completely?

As far as I can tell, yes they are part of Div 1 clubs like Richmond. While not all of our players will be on team next season, they're certainly playing now for opportunity. Good to keep up with their season. Will be interesting to see how many of these universities over next 10 years add lacrosse as NCAA sport.

Yes, these teams UR is beating are fellow Division 1 MCLA club teams. The ones we've beaten are pretty poor, but we're killing them, so that's good. Have to believe that the impending move to varsity is helping already with the coach in place.

I believe there are 63 NCAA D-I teams this year. I also believe we're one of four that have announced joining next year...Furman, Monmouth and BU are the others.

UK, WVU and ECU are all club teams, like UR, not D-1. There are 63 varsity teams, and a few hundred club teams.

3 of the top 6 teams are Cornell, Penn and Denver, per the laxpower.com computer poll. The latest voter poll I've seen has Johns Hopkins at 3, Loyola at 4, UMass 5, Cornell at 7, Denver 10 (followed by Colgate, Princeton, Fairfield, Drexel, Penn, Ohio St., Lehigh, Syracuse, Albany and Duke). So the latest voter poll has 12 non-BCS teams in the top 20.

exactly, just like women's basketball when most schools did not have a varsity team and immaculata and odu won national titles and then when everyone got one, look what we have now. when more and more schools add this sport, it will migrate from regional, small schools to the bcs schools. we might have an advantage right now but right now will change. if the big schools play it, they dominate it and lax will be the same, assuming that they all add it and they may not, it remains a regional sport.

Lets not get too excited. these are club lacrosse teams. Not many of them could make a legitimate D-1 program. It will be a learning curve starting next year when they do go D-1. Sort of like club soccer teams. They would get completly crushed going against a D-1 school. Congrats though on 3-0.

A, one of the major reasons given for dropping the other sports to add lax was, we can compete in it, we cannot compete in soccer and track. the reason we can compete is that it is not played by all the big boys. if and when they decide to play it, our current advantage disappears. do i think we should not compete in ncaa sports because we cannot win the title in most of them? NO, enjoy following our teams, always have, just stating the facts and don't let the facts get in the way of anything.

Well we would have some built in advantages with LAX, as have been discussed, including location, type of school, strength of academics, that would be popular with many of the top lax players (coming from good NE/Mid Atlantic HS and Prep Schools). If we could establish ourselves as a Lax power (I know unlikely) and were in a big boy league like the new Big East, then I see no reason why we would not be able to keep up and stay relevant / competitive with the top schools

just my opinion but a "big boy" league is a bcs football conference. others compete for the scraps with once in a while success.

Loyola of Maryland won this past years national title in Lacrosse. BCS at the moment certainly has nothing to do with it. Big East would be a big boy conference for in many many sports including basketball and lacrosse.

exactly, you just made the point i have been attempting to make, lax is a regional sport not adopted completely or much at all by the big boys, ie bcs football conferences so thus a loyola, immaculata can win a national title. if and when the big boys decide to play this sport, it will migrate to big boy status and they will dominate it.

yes even Duke, W&L and VMI were football powers at one time.

w&l was also a lax powerhouse when only about 5 schools played the sport on a varsity level, think they dropped down in the 80s. that it is why lax is the fastest growing sport, nobody played it so if 10 schools add it, a 1000% increase, thus the fastest growing. and am not a lax hater, love the sport and think it is right for us, just getting you youngsters to realize what it really is though.

This post was edited on 2/26 8:56 PM by WebSpinner

Syracuse, Virginia, Maryland, Duke, North Carolina have all won national Lacrosse titles. Oh-my mistake they're all BCS programs -how can that be?

So has Loyola, Johns Hopkins and Princeton and Cornell has been in the finals recently. I apologize Annap if I took you're post earlier too literally. But that sports should be open to smaller schools for national prominence.

those schools are or will soon be acc schools, probably the only bcs conference who even cares about lax and even then, not all acc schools play it. if and when the other bcs conferences care about lax, if they ever do, then our advantage, if any, is over. not sure if enough high schools, nationally, even play lax so not sure if it will ever become popular enough for the other bcs schools to want it.

One of the grand daddies of the BCS started plying D-1 lacrosse this year-Michighan. That's so they could compete with those other little schools like Ohio State and Notre Dame.
The handwriting is on the wall-but if you don't want to read it that's your loss.

like i said, if the big boys decide to play it, our advantage goes away. still not there yet, may happen, may not.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT