ADVERTISEMENT

Mens 2024 - 2025 Polls/Rankings

Section9.RowD

Team Manager
Gold Member
Nov 19, 2021
We're now in October and our friends over at A10 Talk, who I believe still don't have a UR correspondent & voting member, released their preseason A10 rankings today.

8th seems fairly reasonable as a starting spot -- hope we will rise quickly like we did last year.

Last edited:
Reactions: urfan1
With the stellar OOC schedule, I don’t think there will be much to base the team strength on until the Auburn game.

At this point, I would think somewhere in the 6-8 range is the expected preseason ranking. Lots of unknowns with this team compared to others that are ranked ahead of them.

Looking forward to seeing if the staff can keep the positive momentum going from
last year and hope the Spiders can avoid the end of season swoon. Definitely have a harder job this year with a larger rebuild effort, but it seems that they have done better on the talent acquisition side. Once again the question comes down to team chemistry and identity.

Go Spiders!

As of October 1st, our friends over at A10 Talk, who I believe still don't have a UR correspondent & voting member, released their preseason A10 rankings.

8th seems fairly reasonable as a starting spot -- hope we will rise quickly like we did last year.

not sure what goes into Torvik ... but why is ours so low?

also ... scroll down a little to see the votes on this A10 talk ranking.
I don't know who votes but it's interesting that there's little consensus on a few teams including UR. we're picked as high as 4th and as low as 13th.

Lot of numbers. Just like the rest. Kenpom kpi sos the secret Net. Tho a preseason predictive one has to be hardest. Regardless Torvik is now formally a metric the ncaa looks at. Let’s see what kenpom does w theirs. Could def be better but I doubt significant.

I still feel like the program & lot of fanbase prefer low expectations. I don’t get it. I like it much better when I have high expectations of my teams going in. Plus it’s the only time Mooney has ever made the NCAAs.

Because Tanner won’t play a minute.
Roche will average 10 points a game in 26 minutes a game while injured.
And Glu will average .7 points a game in 2.8 minutes a game, while not getting a single rebound or assist this season.

Actually, I don’t know but maybe we can compare it to KenPom, in hopefully 2 weeks. He released preseason 10/15 last year.

A10 media day is this coming Monday, and I'm expecting us to be picked somewhere around 7-9, so this seems about right. I think its a fair rating based on losing King, Quinn, Dji, and Zae.

On another note, I'll be curious to see the preseason all A-10 teams... we've had at least one player selected preseason all-conference every year since 2012-2013, but I think there's a solid chance that streak ends this year. Hunt and Dusan have a chance to sneak onto the 3rd team, but not likely.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
Haslametrics preseason ratings are out with the Spiders at #113. Projecting a record of 15–12 in known D-I games (Mt. Olive and MTE omitted) with an A-10 record of 8–10. Rated 8th in the A-10.

Mooney and Hunt will be interviewed tomorrow on the Field of 68 YouTube show from 1:45pm-2:00pm, and their official press conference will be from 4:05pm-4:15pm on ESPN+.

Final prediction - I think we’ll be picked 8th in the conference and have no preseason all-conference selections. Nobody can really predict how transfers will perform these days, so IMO preseason all-conference has less meaning than ever.

7th - I think had last year not happened, we would have been picked in double digits but A10 coaches are realizing that we should be a net winner in the transfer and NIL era. As we expected, no Spiders on any of the preseason all conference teams.

7th - I think had last year not happened, we would have been picked in double digits but A10 coaches are realizing that we should be a net winner in the transfer and NIL era. As we expected, no Spiders on any of the preseason all conference teams.

Preseason polls and conference teams were always a bit of a crap shoot but in the NIL era, you might as well blindfold your self and throw a couple darts at a wall. I agree we will have players on the all conference team at the end of the year. We almost always do.

We had a pretty impressive streak of pre-season all conference selections. As mentioned, this is the first time since 2011-2012 that we don't have one:

'23-'24: Quinn (3rd)
'22-'23: Burton (1st)
'21-'22: Gilyard & Golden (1st), Burton (2nd)
'20-'21: Gilyard (1st), Golden & Francis (2nd)
'19-'20: Gilyard (1st), Golden (2nd)
'18-'19: Golden (1st)
'17-'18: Buckingham (2nd)
'16-'17: TJ (1st), Shawn'Dre: (3rd)
'15-'16: Terry Allen and Shawn'Dre (3rd)
'14-'15: Kendall Anthony (1st)
'13-'14: Cedrick Lindsay (3rd)
'12-'13: Darien Brothers (3rd)

Goes to show - nobody really knows who our best players are gonna be this year.

Takeaways from Mooney and DeLonnie's interview on Field of 68. D-Lo essentially answered every question, he's really good at this:
  • D-Lo is focusing on working with the younger guys as they had a very senior-led team last year. Not changing much about his leadership strategy, but trying to lead even more by example since there's so much turnover.
  • Going to have to find a new way of winning with Jordan gone. Expecting a much more balanced scoring attack, multiple guys averaging low double digits.
  • Mooney does not think Richmond has lost its identity or compromised its process in the portal/NIL era. Would still prefer to have guys for 4-5 years, but is very confident in how they are able to attract transfer players.
  • Still very invested in recruiting, developing, and retaining high-school talent. Expecting a spring-back of sorts across all of CBB with more emphasis on high school players vs. transfers compared to present-day.
  • GW3 is an incredible guy, good learner, coachable and a gym rat. Can really shoot. Mooney wants him to build his game off of his three-point shot, potentially an elite shooter.
  • AP is doing well, still finding his way a bit. Getting more comfortable by the week. A good shooter, but an underrated passer.
  • Mikkel is extremely talented, trying to get him to understand how to be a PG. He would call certain plays last year b/c they were the first ones that would come to mind. Now, he's calling plays based on what he sees transpiring on the court.

Takeaways from Mooney and DeLonnie's interview on Field of 68. D-Lo essentially answered every question, he's really good at this:
  • D-Lo is focusing on working with the younger guys as they had a very senior-led team last year. Not changing much about his leadership strategy, but trying to lead even more by example since there's so much turnover.
  • Going to have to find a new way of winning with Jordan gone. Expecting a much more balanced scoring attack, multiple guys averaging low double digits.
  • Mooney does not think Richmond has lost its identity or compromised its process in the portal/NIL era. Would still prefer to have guys for 4-5 years, but is very confident in how they are able to attract transfer players.
  • Still very invested in recruiting, developing, and retaining high-school talent. Expecting a spring-back of sorts across all of CBB with more emphasis on high school players vs. transfers compared to present-day.
  • GW3 is an incredible guy, good learner, coachable and a gym rat. Can really shoot. Mooney wants him to build his game off of his three-point shot, potentially an elite shooter.
  • AP is doing well, still finding his way a bit. Getting more comfortable by the week. A good shooter, but an underrated passer.
  • Mikkel is extremely talented, trying to get him to understand how to be a PG. He would call certain plays last year b/c they were the first ones that would come to mind. Now, he's calling plays based on what he sees transpiring on the court.
thx for the write-up - a bit too busy of work day for me to listen to the press conference .. will do tonight.

Officially official with VCU as favorite. Surprisingly I took some heat for predicting that from VT4700 and others. We are ostriches when it comes to VCU. Especially those over in Robins.

The good news is this is preseason. While VCU very rarely underachieves we have some say in that especially with 2 H2H games.

It appears the teams with the most Friday games are the ones with first place votes?

Takeaways from the press conference:
  • Mooney emphasized that we have a lot of speed, intelligence, and shot making at guard. Potentially an elite defensive backcourt. DeLonnie, Tyne, GW3, B. Artis, and Graham mentioned in that order.
  • D-Lo reiterated the youth/inexperience of this roster being a challenge compared to last year's team of mostly seniors.
  • Walz is stepping into a more significant role, of course. Unlike previous centers we've had, likes to play physically and through contact.
  • D-Lo says it's not his specific role to be the #1 scorer w/ the other 4 starters gone. His role is to do whatever the team needs to win that night. Coach is not worried about scoring being an issue with all of the newcomers.
  • Between Walz and Beagle, Mooney is not worried about replacing Quinn's production at the 5. Also mentioned Tanner unprompted as someone who has improved and will have an impact in the frontcourt.

Lot of Tanner talk, hope he takes advantage of his opportunities. Whereas Noyes seemed to be in "run the offense" mode when he started last year and overthinking what he was supposed to do every play, rather than just playing loose.

Also, protect the ball or the quick hook (TM: Moon) will find you.

Also mentioned Tanner unprompted as someone who has improved and will have an impact in the frontcourt.

Frontcourt? I thought they viewed him as big guard. We list him as a guard. Maybe he just meant defensively how he would match up.

Frontcourt? I thought they viewed him as big guard. We list him as a guard. Maybe he just meant defensively how he would match up.
He mentioned Tanner in a response about Walz, Beagle, and Neskovic, so that makes me think they might view him more as a small forward type role than a big guard.

Reactions: VT4700 and spider23
Like to hear the hype about GW3. As we know, sometimes it doesn't play out - but sounds like he can be quite a shooter and love to hear he is a gym rat. That is a huge factor.
Agree. I think we keep hearing too much great shooter talk for him not to start and play good minutes. I am sticking with thinking Hunt, White, and GW3 will be the best starters in the backcourt. I love what I am hearing about Tyne too, so maybe he starts over White, but I am wanting Hunt, GW3, Dusan, Walz, and the next best fit (even if not White or Tyne) to be the main 5.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT