ADVERTISEMENT

Media timeouts

Eight Legger

Spider's Club
May 27, 2003
Unless I am mistaken, the NCAA passed rules allowing leagues and the NIT to experiment this year with five media timeouts in the second half, instead of four. Does anyone know if the A10 is planning to do this or not?

"Conferences as well as the National Invitation Tournament can experiment using five media timeouts on the first dead-ball situations under the 17-minute, 14-minute, 11-minute, 8-minute and 4-minute marks of the second half.

The rationale is to help the flow of the game so commercial breaks will not be taken when teams use their allotted timeouts."
--------------------------

how the heck does having a media timeout every 3 minutes help the flow of the game???

Reactions: bullfrog91
I think the idea is that if a team calls a timeout in one of those windows, then that replaces the media timeout in the same window. But the phrasing in that piece is what I had seen elsewhere, too – that a league "can experiment" with that change, not that it has to. So I'm wondering if the A10 will be doing that.

Has the A10 made any announcement on if we are changing at all? Seems like things like this should be decided more than a week before the season. Maybe they were and we just weren't privy 🤷🏼‍♂️

Everyone on the board would still get mad at Mooney for not calling timeouts. The other night against Clemson, we had media timeouts at 14:47 down 11-1, at 11:59 down 16-6, and we called one at 9:51 down 23-6. So, 3 timeouts the first 10 minutes of the game, and people on here were all over Mooney for not calling timeouts to stop Clemson. As if calling a timeout automatically, 100% means you will then go on a run, and as if more than 3 timeouts the first 10 minutes would have made any difference at all that night. And, of course, when we don't call timeout and go on a run ourselves, nothing is ever mentioned on the board, or when we do call a timeout, and the other team still goes on a run, that is ignored also.

Everyone on the board would still get mad at Mooney for not calling timeouts. The other night against Clemson, we had media timeouts at 14:47 down 11-1, at 11:59 down 16-6, and we called one at 9:51 down 23-6. So, 3 timeouts the first 10 minutes of the game, and people on here were all over Mooney for not calling timeouts to stop Clemson. As if calling a timeout automatically, 100% means you will then go on a run, and as if more than 3 timeouts the first 10 minutes would have made any difference at all that night. And, of course, when we don't call timeout and go on a run ourselves, nothing is ever mentioned on the board, or when we do call a timeout, and the other team still goes on a run, that is ignored also.
Timeout!

The rationale is to help the flow of the game so commercial breaks will not be taken when teams use their allotted timeouts."

One added 2:30-3 min media TO. But they won't go to commercial on all TOs called by the teams, so the breaks will be shorter. Should help marginally.

His most effective timeout is just after WE score preventing any kind of a run by us. Brilliant.

Beyond a single game, there is 17+ years of data to consider. Don't believe many would say Mooney's management of time outs is a coaching strength that gives Spiders an edge.

Cost us more games than it has won.
It is awfully convenient to just make a comment like that with no data whatsoever to back it up. You only remember the bad and forget the good. That is very common for message board posters. Many coaches swear by letting their guys play through everything. Many others want all of their timeouts for the end of the game. Many others call timeouts after made baskets around the same time each game. Many others will call a timeout at any point if a play made them so upset they had to immediately get on their guys for it. Many others will call timeouts for substitutions. Many others to set up the press. There is no exact time to call a timeout book that they are supposed to follow.

What you think is bad timeout management is no different than what many coaches who know their teams better than you would do. And, as I said earlier, when arguing that a coach should have called a timeout if he didn’t, it's awfully convenient to ignore the many, many, many times he didn't call one and his team did great in the minutes that followed the non timeout.

His most effective timeout is just after WE score preventing any kind of a run by us. Brilliant.
Coach K did this every game around the same time (usually between the 12 and 8 minute timeouts, but not always) in the 2nd half. Do you think he was stupid also? Many coaches are doing this. Could be for many different reasons. Maybe you want to try something new at the 12 minute mark and don't want to wait till the 8 minute mark to change it. Maybe you want to give your guys extra rest for the stretch run. Maybe you want to press out of the timeout. Maybe you want to bring a key sub back in. Like with any other timeout, hard to say it's right or wrong here, and no, calling a timeout after a made basket does not guarantee you can't go on a run.

Mooney seems to have an uncanny feel for botching the time out call. No offense to us dumb message board posters, but holy effing Mooney how many times can we see the dumb stare waiting the extra 2 minutes for the TV TO while we lose the game. But keep believing.
I would love to see any data on this to back that up. How many times it cost us a game vs. how many times we actually outscored the other team after not calling the timeout you wanted. If it shows you to be correct, then, I will admit it has much more of an affect that I think, and I would say please share it with someone in the basketball department.

So because you say it is smart it is. LOL. It's stupid. I am not a Uconn fan or Hurley fan for that matter, but amazing to watch a coach that keeps pushing and evolving. Mooney was probably not far off from Hurley at one point, but does not evolve, keeps doing the same stuff over and over.
When did I say it was smart? I said all coaches do it differently and there is no right or wrong. If he wants to call a timeout, fine, if not, fine. I think it's another example of people on here getting on Mooney for doing what many other coaches do, and also while having no data to prove their point.

I would love to see any data on this to back that up. How many times it cost us a game vs. how many times we actually outscored the other team after not calling the timeout you wanted. If it shows you to be correct, then, I will admit it has much more of an affect that I think, and I would say please share it with someone in the basketball department.
You run the data , he sits there while we are getting blitzed, and then we get a media to. WTF. I guess it is Dji and sdads fault. Would love to figure out your relationship to Mooney. That would explain a ton.

Mooney seems to have an uncanny feel for botching the time out call. No offense to us dumb message board posters, but holy effing Mooney how many times can we see the dumb stare waiting the extra 2 minutes for the TV TO while we lose the game. But keep believing.
Are there incentive clauses in the contract for botching time out calls?

You run the data , he sits there while we are getting blitzed, and then we get a media to. WTF. I guess it is Dji and sdads fault. Would love to figure out your relationship to Mooney. That would explain a ton.
Seriously? This has nothing to do with Mooney. Dji? What the heck, man? All this from you because it is my opinion that pretty much all timeouts, by all coaches, do not affect runs by teams much at all.

So because you say it is smart it is. LOL. It's stupid. I am not a Uconn fan or Hurley fan for that matter, but amazing to watch a coach that keeps pushing and evolving. Mooney was probably not far off from Hurley at one point, but does not evolve, keeps doing the same stuff over and over.
Bc he is now a fat cat.....content and complacent....

Bc he is now a fat cat.....content and complacent....
Exactly. Mooney is complacent. His check comes through win or lose and he knows this. The tears from his wife when we won the A-10 championship were not tears of joy, but tears of relief, knowing that they could continue to live their 1% lifestyle right here in Richmond for a few more years.

4700, we all know that in your eyes Mooney can do no wrong. His timeout use, immaculate. His in game decision, perfect. His player utilization and line-ups during the game, spot on.

The question I have if everything Mooney does is so fantastic in your eyes, how come he only ends up winning about 55% of the time?

You have to understand 97, that 55% winning number is because MoonMan is a great coach.

The 45% losing is because either

A) players made mistakes
B) It’s hard to recruit at Richmond
C) your expectations are too high
D) shut up and enjoy when we do win
E) great guy off the court, good ambassador

E) great guy off the court, good ambassador
On E. The whole good ambassador. I have heard from multiple businesses leader in the community about getting Chris to come to a headline an event and the common universal refrain is that no one wants him to come because he is just too boring or if they even had used him, it was at best awkward and uninspiring.

A good ambassador would be a figure that is beloved/respected in the Richmond community, someone that stewards of our community would be clamoring after to come support/headline their causes.

Again, a basketball coaches primary job is not be a great ambassador, so whether he is or isn't, is a bit irrelevant to me. His job to me is to win games.

I just scoff at the idea his supporters put out that he is a good ambassador, because they clearly don't understand Chris's standing in the broader community, and just because it isn't a "bad standing" does not automatically default to making it good or great. At best, Chris is neutral. He doesn't raise the profile of the University in the broader community but he isn't giving the university a black eye either.

Reactions: spider23
Coach K did this every game around the same time (usually between the 12 and 8 minute timeouts, but not always) in the 2nd half. Do you think he was stupid also? Many coaches are doing this. Could be for many different reasons. Maybe you want to try something new at the 12 minute mark and don't want to wait till the 8 minute mark to change it. Maybe you want to give your guys extra rest for the stretch run. Maybe you want to press out of the timeout. Maybe you want to bring a key sub back in. Like with any other timeout, hard to say it's right or wrong here, and no, calling a timeout after a made basket does not guarantee you can't go on a run.
I don't recall calling anyone stupid. Your words. Interesting you would choose that particular word to interject into this conversation. I question how much of a learned basketball tactician he is not his intelligence. There are others whose intelligence i would question however.

Reactions: plydogg
4700, we all know that in your eyes Mooney can do no wrong. His timeout use, immaculate. His in game decision, perfect. His player utilization and line-ups during the game, spot on.

The question I have if everything Mooney does is so fantastic in your eyes, how come he only ends up winning about 55% of the time?

Its probably because you can agree to disagree but if you average all basketball games over all of time, 50% of the teams win them and 50% of them lose them so by those standards, Mooney is better than average because he wins 55% of the time, but of course we can agree to disagree on that.

Seriously? This has nothing to do with Mooney. Dji? What the heck, man? All this from you because it is my opinion that pretty much all timeouts, by all coaches, do not affect runs by teams much at all.
There's a certain truth to what you say here. The timeout alone probably does nothing to stop a run. What adjustments a coach makes during the timeout could have great influence on stopping the run. Perhaps you do know more than the average poster on the board knows. Maybe Mooney doesn't call timeouts because he doesn't ever make adjustments so why "waste" it.

Exactly. Mooney is complacent. His check comes through win or lose and he knows this. The tears from his wife when we won the A-10 championship were not tears of joy, but tears of relief, knowing that they could continue to live their 1% lifestyle right here in Richmond for a few more years.
So, now our coach is complacent and doesn't care? Doesn't want to win? Doesn't try to get the best out of his players? His wife's tears were not for happiness for the players and for her husband? No chance at that, right? So, she is just a very selfish, non caring individual who lives her life only thinking about herself and her family? Wow. Okay.

There's a certain truth to what you say here. The timeout alone probably does nothing to stop a run. What adjustments a coach makes during the timeout could have great influence on stopping the run. Perhaps you do know more than the average poster on the board knows. Maybe Mooney doesn't call timeouts because he doesn't ever make adjustments so why "waste" it.
My point is not about me. It's that so many posters on here think they know more than all the coaches out there. Like I said, people on here always seem to get on Mooney for doing things pretty much every other coach does. Who knows why? Maybe they only watch our games. Maybe they just will hate Mooney for anything and everything? But, if you are getting on Mooney for this, you should also be admitting you are getting on about 300+ other coaches for this. I see teams make runs in college basketball all the time because nearly every game has multiple runs, and what I also see is plenty of games where plenty of coaches do not just start calling timeouts when the runs happen.

I don't recall calling anyone stupid. Your words. Interesting you would choose that particular word to interject into this conversation. I question how much of a learned basketball tactician he is not his intelligence. There are others whose intelligence i would question however.
??? What's the difference? If you question someone's learned basketball abilities, how could you not be questioning their intelligence? Isn't what you learn and know pretty much the definition of intelligence?

So, now our coach is complacent and doesn't care? Doesn't want to win? Doesn't try to get the best out of his players? His wife's tears were not for happiness for the players and for her husband? No chance at that, right? So, she is just a very selfish, non caring individual who lives her life only thinking about herself and her family? Wow. Okay.
I didn't say she was a selfish uncaring individuals, just that she cried tears of relief because her husband was probably going to have a find another job had that run not occurred, which could have meant up rooting her family and her life here in Richmond.

I don't think that makes her caring and unselfish, just human. You drew that inference not me.

??? What's the difference? If you question someone's learned basketball abilities, how could you not be questioning their intelligence? Isn't what you learn and know pretty much the definition of intelligence?
What defensive strategy would Einstein have deployed against Clemson? Big difference between intelligence and knowledge.

What defensive strategy would Einstein have deployed against Clemson? Big difference between intelligence and knowledge.
Big difference? They are synonyms. But, as I usually have to say on here, whatever.

On E. The whole good ambassador. I have heard from multiple businesses leader in the community about getting Chris to come to a headline an event and the common universal refrain is that no one wants him to come because he is just too boring or if they even had used him, it was at best awkward and uninspiring.

A good ambassador would be a figure that is beloved/respected in the Richmond community, someone that stewards of our community would be clamoring after to come support/headline their causes.

Again, a basketball coaches primary job is not be a great ambassador, so whether he is or isn't, is a bit irrelevant to me. His job to me is to win games.

I just scoff at the idea his supporters put out that he is a good ambassador, because they clearly don't understand Chris's standing in the broader community, and just because it isn't a "bad standing" does not automatically default to making it good or great. At best, Chris is neutral. He doesn't raise the profile of the University in the broader community but he isn't giving the university a black eye either.
I wonder how Tarrant or Belein were in the community relations area, just wondering.

I didn't say she was a selfish uncaring individuals, just that she cried tears of relief because her husband was probably going to have a find another job had that run not occurred, which could have meant up rooting her family and her life here in Richmond.

I don't think that makes her caring and unselfish, just human. You drew that inference not me.

In fairness, it did not come across that way to me either in your first message. I read it the same way VT did and thought it was pretty over-the-top. I'm glad you clarified because I do think the prospect of completely uprooting your life (or more importantly, the life of your kids) is profoundly stressful and deserving of tears of relief/joy. Sounds like you agree with that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT