ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Reed - 2023 Decommit

Good point Spider 23 about selling the use of our big men in multiple ways. We also have a track record of developing the smaller point guards the last 10 years.

I don't know about 10 years ago - I think AAU schedules and amount of playing are about the same today as 10 years ago. 20 years ago - pre-Mooney, probably different.

But I will agree - then and now, the difference between player 120 and 170 is probably very small. I think once you get outside the top 50, maybe top 75 - it becomes very difficult to rank players between 76 and 150.

But this is where the transfer portal comes into play as well. Before - bigger programs, and maybe even some successful mid-majors might look for that under the radar kid. Now - they might just get that under the radar kid through the portal - let them play a year or two at a smaller school, show what they can do in a college setting and then hopefully pick them up in the portal. Only problem is - your competition might have gone way up. This is why I think it is so important now with the portal to throw a wide net when recruiting. Even kids you know might be below us or above us - you still have to recruit now because in a year or two - you might come across them in the portal, and maybe that relationship you built with them as HS kids helps get your foot in the door when they transfer.

Great pick up. This guy looks exactly like type of player we need to land with every recruit. Highly sought after by comparable and even some bigger schools. Looks like a great fit for our system, based on what I read, seems a lot like Geriot to me.

As a person who has been critical of Mooney's recruiting ability, I have been very impressed with what we have done both on the transfer portal and with this incoming freshman class. Both Smith and Reed had multiple BCS offers and as well as really good non BCS offers.

He seems to be really capitalizing on our NCAA tournament run here.

This kid looks like a fantastic shooter. I can definitely see him re-shape his body a little (ala TJ Cline) and being one of the best shooters on the floor, and I can also see him growing another inch and being a post up scoring machine. There's a lot to like about him and he'll be fun to watch develop.

Reactions: spiderman
Also semi-interesting to see JOC flat-out state that Burton and Crabtree are in their final years, giving us two open spots.

Blah, blah, blah, we already knew that, but it's all been handled so oddly with assumptions and presumptive statements without explanations.

Also semi-interesting to see JOC flat-out state that Burton and Crabtree are in their final years, giving us two open spots.
interesting/strange. we certainly haven't appeared to be been actively recruiting as if we had another spot to fill.

man, thought Reed was a perfect fit in the frontcourt in this class. really tough taking that spot then backing out a week before signing day. reminds me of Chris Moss not signing with us on signing day and ending up at WVU.

Reactions: GKiller

Blah, blah, blah, we already knew that, but it's all been handled so oddly with assumptions and presumptive statements without explanations.
Why does this bother you so much? How was anything handled oddly? I think Mooney has made it clear with about 5 or 6 interviews that he wasn't coming back. Do you want Crabtree to call a press conference and announce to the world that he is not coming back? I didn't realize the numerous other (hundreds?) of college guys in similar situations because of covid were doing this.

interesting/strange. we certainly haven't appeared to be been actively recruiting as if we had another spot to fill.

man, thought Reed was a perfect fit in the frontcourt in this class. really tough taking that spot then backing out a week before signing day. reminds me of Chris Moss not signing with us on signing day and ending up at WVU.
He looked like a good get and a good fit, but I'm not too worried about it, especially with the transfer options that will be out there in the spring. Hard to be that bothered by a guy who has never played for us. Most recently Andre Weir comes to mind.

Dang tough news. Looked like a really good player & perfect fit for us. Harder to get a hs big man this late I’d expect to replace in portal. Still think we should have had more urgency taking another commitment earlier whether Durkin or another player we liked given u gotta expect a transfer ship comes available too. Granted a decommit is rare for us but it can happen. Imagine the bigger schools r on Reed.

re: Crabtree I think SF is referring mainly to Mooney describing him using his bonus Covid year when he’s not there yet.

Reactions: Long Island Spiders
Dang tough news. Looked like a really good player & perfect fit for us. Harder to get a hs big man this late I’d expect to replace in portal. Still think we should have had more urgency taking another commitment earlier whether Durkin or another player we liked given u gotta expect a transfer ship comes available too. Granted a decommit is rare for us but it can happen. Imagine the bigger schools r on Reed.

re: Crabtree I think SF is referring mainly to Mooney describing him using his bonus Covid year when he’s not there yet.
Are you saying Crab isn't using his covid bonus year this year and forgoing his regular senior year next year? ;)

Looks like Reed is #156 and .9189 on 247...

Edit:but no longer on our lists

Last edited:
Wow, this is a big hit, you can down play it all you want, but looked like a perfect fit. He was a guy that has shown he can shoot it with range and had all the intangibles - at 6'8. This hurts. Offseason grade just went down to B-.
Just when the post player recruiting seemed to be on the upswing. I guess the Spiders still have a shot until he signs elsewhere. Hope Matt got more than an empty promise because UR’s system is a great fit.

Gipe May be back in Texas soon.

Reactions: plydogg
Just when the post player recruiting seemed to be on the upswing. I guess the Spiders still have a shot until he signs elsewhere. Hope Matt got more than an empty promise because UR’s system is a great fit.

Gipe May be back in Texas soon.
Not seeing this swinging back our way. About 98% of the time these guys say "opening my recruitment, but still considering xxxx(original school) - usually just to be nice I guess. No such mention here, which is fine, may as well rip the band aid fully IMO.
Also, super late in the game compared to the mid Nov. signing period. So I don't expect this one to somehow come back in our favor.

Yeah, with only a week to go, he's either got a great NIL offer on the table somewhere else that he's going to grab next week, or he's getting enough interest from bigger programs that's he's willing to risk waiting until spring.

You don't back off a commitment with a week to go unless you've got something "better" to replace it with or a previously unknown significant issue crops up, and there's no sign of the latter.

Wow, this is a big hit, you can down play it all you want, but looked like a perfect fit. He was a guy that has shown he can shoot it with range and had all the intangibles - at 6'8. This hurts. Offseason grade just went down to B-.
All fair points, but I can't call it a big hit yet. Let's wait and see where he goes, and how he does. And, who we might get this spring or next year. I guess I am just real psyched where are program is and where it is headed, and I won't let a decommitt bother me that much. Just me though. I get it if some think this is a big loss. Time will tell.

Well, $hit.

That's a blow, but the way it goes these days. Agree 23, need these 4 year guys.

Lets hope we can put together a good season and make ourselves attractive on the transfer market if we don't find an adequate replacement, something I imagine will be hard.

All fair points, but I can't call it a big hit yet. Let's wait and see where he goes, and how he does. And, who we might get this spring or next year. I guess I am just real psyched where are program is and where it is headed, and I won't let a decommitt bother me that much. Just me though. I get it if some think this is a big loss. Time will tell.
Yep, I get your point of view, but even if he goes to a bigger school and doesn't perform, its still a hit. He would have had great system and opportunity here, not sure what will come up at next school. Maybe he gets a free ride at OK State and Boone Pickens gets him 150,000 a season and he plays 10 minutes/game, and his happy to start post college with 600,000.

Maybe he sees a big opportunity to step right in after Bryce Golden leaves Loyola after next year.

Yep, I get your point of view, but even if he goes to a bigger school and doesn't perform, its still a hit. He would have had great system and opportunity here, not sure what will come up at next school. Maybe he gets a free ride at OK State and Boone Pickens gets him 150,000 a season and he plays 10 minutes/game, and his happy to start post college with 600,000.

Maybe he sees a big opportunity to step right in after Bryce Golden leaves Loyola after next year.
How is Tulsa on money? Anything but tumbleweeds and wrinkled bedsheets?

I would prefer him there than Loyola...

Yes, I hear you. He seemed like a good fit here. But, I remember thinking Wilson was the perfect fit to step in after Jacob. It is hard for me to call this a big loss right now. Sure, maybe, and some will say likely, he would have been a key piece for us, but we still have Quinn, Walz, and Bigelow, and we can still land a player like Reed next spring to add to them. Who knows? Maybe even a better player. Many on here want that big, athletic type, and I'm not sure how athletic Reed is. But, I do get why some are down about this. You never want to lose a guy you think you had, especially one that looks talented.

The good part, as you noted VT is that we do have Quinn and Bigelow, and Walz all back next year. I am kind of wondering if part of the issue is not seeing PT immediately? I think more likely he is seeing the P6 bright stars and NIL. We shall see, probably shortly unless he signs in the spring.

Reactions: nathanw19
The world of college sports these days - play at four different schools in four years if you want. Don't like this dynamic of not having any loyalty or thinking your word means nothing. Begs the question - why didn't he think it through before he committed to us in the first place? Will answer that - because commitment is simply not required .....................

I don't see the NIL part. he's not some top 50 kid. are any of you hearing 150-ish level basketball recruits getting paid?

I do think someone watching got in his coach's ear and let him know they'd be interested if he was available. and I think it'll be someone not originally in his final 4.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT