ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Reed - 2023 Decommit

“The history Coach Mooney has with his bigs during his 18-year tenure is crazy,” Reed said on his commitment. “Their development is crazy. The usage rate for their centers is really high. A lot of their bigs have gone on to achieve accolades and play professionally which is something that I would want to do.” [...]

“I wanted to have a great relationship with the head coach because he is the one calling all the shots,” Reed said. “I spoke to Coach Mooney a lot and also Will Gipe. My parents love him and I love him. The relationship I have been able to build with them has been great. I really trust him with my skills.” [...]

When asked what he plans on bringing to the program, Reed says, "They are going to get shooting for sure. I am hoping to be the best three-point shooting center they have had. They are also going to get a guy who is a great scorer in the low and high posts. I am a capable passer, a good finisher around the rim, and a great leader.”

So many of you were so wrong about Gipe. Awesome class. Would’ve probably kept one slot open for a transfer but that may end up being true regardless if both Burton and Crabtree don’t come back.

This is exciting news, but lets not forget - all HS kids are stars until they step on campus. We are no different than every other school - excited about the future. The key to keep this going - we need another solid year this year - we need to be in NCAA conversation and can do no worse than NIT. This keeps some excitement around the program for the recruits coming in, but also potential transfers from portal and future HS recruits.

Reactions: urfan1
This is exciting news, but lets not forget - all HS kids are stars until they step on campus. We are no different than every other school - excited about the future. The key to keep this going - we need another solid year this year - we need to be in NCAA conversation and can do no worse than NIT. This keeps some excitement around the program for the recruits coming in, but also potential transfers from portal and future HS recruits.
Bad take. Can’t be annoyed when we miss key recruits and then also say it doesn’t matter as we don’t know enough about them to be happy about it.

I am saying it does matter. I much rather get kids highly rated as I think you have a much better payout of them panning out to be good players. Are all ratings and services perfect - no way. But I much rather get highly rated kids as I think the chance of them working out is better than getting a bulk of underrated kids and hoping they develop.
My point is - we always say things on this board - that in reality are not true. Like we always say before the season - this will be a deep team, we got good depth - but in reality - we never really play more than 7 key guys. We always say the recruit we snabbed is going to be great - but in reality - they can't all play (we only play 7 guys). I hope Reed turns out to be stud and I like that he might be one of the highest rated guys we get - that is exciting, and hopefully it leads to more highly rated guys. But in order for that to happen - and to keep these guys coming - you need to keep winning, which is why we need another big year this year to keep last year's momentum going.
Gipe might be able to sell Ice to the eskimos. But if the ice is half melted (we are not making NCAA tourney's on the regular) - the eskimos will look for the better ice.

Reactions: urfan1 and SpiderK
I am saying it does matter. I much rather get kids highly rated as I think you have a much better payout of them panning out to be good players. Are all ratings and services perfect - no way. But I much rather get highly rated kids as I think the chance of them working out is better than getting a bulk of underrated kids and hoping they develop.
My point is - we always say things on this board - that in reality are not true. Like we always say before the season - this will be a deep team, we got good depth - but in reality - we never really play more than 7 key guys. We always say the recruit we snabbed is going to be great - but in reality - they can't all play (we only play 7 guys). I hope Reed turns out to be stud and I like that he might be one of the highest rated guys we get - that is exciting, and hopefully it leads to more highly rated guys. But in order for that to happen - and to keep these guys coming - you need to keep winning, which is why we need another big year this year to keep last year's momentum going.
Gipe might be able to sell Ice to the eskimos. But if the ice is half melted (we are not making NCAA tourney's on the regular) - the eskimos will look for the better ice.
Ok that’s all fair.

My point is - we always say things on this board - that in reality are not true. Like we always say before the season - this will be a deep team, we got good depth - but in reality - we never really play more than 7 key guys. We always say the recruit we snabbed is going to be great - but in reality - they can't all play (we only play 7 guys). ….. But in order for that to happen - and to keep these guys coming - you need to keep winning, which is why we need another big year this year to keep last year's momentum going.
So the answer to to saying things are “aren’t true” is to say something that is obvious to all.

The other thing that happens on this board is finding fault with everything. I have been critical of various things, but this off-season definitely isn’t something to throw stones at. This doesn’t mean that the team is perfect or is going to the NCAAs, but I think the Spiders have a good shot at the NIT this year and the recruiting is greatly improved since I started following the team closely.

There is no question that the staff has to keep up the momentum, but by my account that is exactly what has happened - unlike what happened the last time the Spiders made the dance.

Like we always say before the season - this will be a deep team, we got good depth - but in reality - we never really play more than 7 key guys. We always say the recruit we snabbed is going to be great - but in reality - they can't all play (we only play 7 guys).
personally, when I say we're deep I'm talking depth of talent. we are deep. deeper than we usually have been.
that soesn't mean I expect us to play 12 guys. that would be foolish. we'll play 8. maybe #9 gets some time. that's normal.
but we have depth developing behind those rotational guys.

So the answer to to saying things are “aren’t true” is to say something that is obvious to all.

The other thing that happens on this board is finding fault with everything. I have been critical of various things, but this off-season definitely isn’t something to throw stones at. This doesn’t mean that the team is perfect or is going to the NCAAs, but I think the Spiders have a good shot at the NIT this year and the recruiting is greatly improved since I started following the team closely.

There is no question that the staff has to keep up the momentum, but by my account that is exactly what has happened - unlike what happened the last time the Spiders made the dance.
I don't know if we can back that far on the board, but I am willing to bet after we made back to back NCAA appearances, sweet 16, and Harper gets drafted in the first round - we were excited on this board about our incoming recruits. That class was - Kendall Anthony, Wayne Sparrow, Trey Davis, Luke P, and Alonzo Nelson-Ododa. I got a feeling we were all excited about this class - knowing we lost a lot, and maybe would take a year to build back up (we did have Brothers, Garrett, Williams, Martel, and Duinker returning) - we just never did.

But I am also willing to bet most of those guys were recruited with little ranking behind it - whereas this year we seem to be getting players recruited and regarded by others. I am excited about our offseason so far. Step 1 and probably the most important step is getting players. You can be the best coach in the world - but if you don't have good players - it will not make a difference anymore. But we have recruited what we think will be good players, but we can't repeat what happen after that back to back year where we went 16-16 the next season, and then followed that up with 19-15 record - those are two nothing years and they hurt recruiting.

But I agree - we appear to be in position to reload, and not rebuild. And it starts with snabbing good players.

So correct me if I'm wrong, but after the 2011 NCAA appearance, the 2011-2012 recruiting class you list above (Kendall, etc) would have already been in place. But then for 2012 - with an NCAA appearance in pocket and a team ranked in the top 25 during the 2012-13 season, Moon missed out on 3 primary recruits - AWIII, Marshall Wood and the kid who flamed out at WVa and elsewhere. We landed Deion and Terry Allen and had a scholarship left open IIRC. So that was the year where Moon did not capitalize I think was the general feeling.

I don't know if we can back that far on the board, but I am willing to bet after we made back to back NCAA appearances, sweet 16, and Harper gets drafted in the first round - we were excited on this board about our incoming recruits. That class was - Kendall Anthony, Wayne Sparrow, Trey Davis, Luke P, and Alonzo Nelson-Ododa. I got a feeling we were all excited about this class - knowing we lost a lot, and maybe would take a year to build back up (we did have Brothers, Garrett, Williams, Martel, and Duinker returning) - we just never did.

But I am also willing to bet most of those guys were recruited with little ranking behind it - whereas this year we seem to be getting players recruited and regarded by others. I am excited about our offseason so far. Step 1 and probably the most important step is getting players. You can be the best coach in the world - but if you don't have good players - it will not make a difference anymore. But we have recruited what we think will be good players, but we can't repeat what happen after that back to back year where we went 16-16 the next season, and then followed that up with 19-15 record - those are two nothing years and they hurt recruiting.

But I agree - we appear to be in position to reload, and not rebuild. And it starts with snabbing good players.
You defended your point well. Thank you.

So correct me if I'm wrong, but after the 2011 NCAA appearance, the 2011-2012 recruiting class you list above (Kendall, etc) would have already been in place. But then for 2012 - with an NCAA appearance in pocket and a team ranked in the top 25 during the 2012-13 season, Moon missed out on 3 primary recruits - AWIII, Marshall Wood and the kid who flamed out at WVa and elsewhere. We landed Deion and Terry Allen and had a scholarship left open IIRC. So that was the year where Moon did not capitalize I think was the general feeling.
Terry Henderson, WVU and NC ST?

Reactions: spiderman
Sparrow & Anthony played in 2011-2012 as freshmen
Davis, Taylor, Allen, ANO & Luke played as freshmen in 2012-2013
I think at least Davis redshirted, could be more.

According to 247, Matt Reed and Trevor Smith are the 2 highest rated recruits for Richmond in that past ~15 years. https://247sports.com/college/richmond/Sport/Basketball/AllTimeRecruits/

Of course, if you showed me those 247 rankings without telling me what they were I might guess it is Richmond commits in random order.

I like they have both score and rank. Similar to Merritt & ANO, Vs Wilson & Sal who had score but lower rank.
I want to know what crazy methods they are using to get scores out to 4 significant figures. That is some incredible precision.

Reactions: Section9.RowD

makes no sense that the 16-16 and 19-15 years hurt recruiting when we had just made the dance 2 out of 4 years. the Piotrowski, ANO, Davis and Anthony class was a MONSTER class with a ton of high major offers. the best of them (Anthony) was the least thought of. everyone was wrong on Luke. ANO was solid but not as great as expected. Davis was good but a not-shooter.

the following year brought Terry Allen and Deion Taylor. Allen was really good. Taylor started well but was never the same after hurting his back.

the next years were the problem. we did land SDJ who was great. but we missed on a bunch and were wrong on others, and I don't blame the record in the prior years. the record wasn't bad. but either the assistant coaches targeted the wrong guys or Mooney didn't close on enough of the right ones. we had 3 years where too many guys didn't pan out. and that takes time to recover from.

we must have changed something at that point. we kicked it up a ton with Golden, Sherod and Buckingham class and we've recruited very well ever since. not having danced in a while had no effect on those recruiting classes. I think that's easliy overcome if you have the facilities and the right staff working hard to land the right guys.

Glad we are getting a few players now that 247 and ESPN has heard of.

sman, I think while Terry and Deion turned out okay, at the time there was a general feeling of disappointment that Moon missed out on all 3 of his targets to bigger schools and somehow left a scholarship open after b2b ncaa years. From HS stats and videos it looked like a class of a glue guy and a forward who played below the rim. Terry obviously was better than expected and Deion a contributor, so in retrospect turned out okay. At the time I think the board was hoping for next level guys after the S16 run, one in particular. You're correct in that the following years the recruiting misses were rough and it played out on the court down the line.

This year, he locked up his guys right away AND seems to have crushed the portal - that continuity we want and need.

I believe that is our wheelhouse - guys ranked 150 - 200 on these sites. As noted, The AW3, Henderson, marshall wood strikeout left us in a bad place. I am definitely not opposed to going after the top 100 type guys, but just seems like the resource (time mostly) to chase those guys has to impact your ability to sign these type of guys. By prioritizing the other guys it seems to be a good strategy - this year anyway and as sman noted we have had a pretty good run last few years. I also like that we are hammering home the way we use the big men, and allow them touches and to actually make plays. Other schools can "sell" this, but when you break out the tape (and the usage numbers as Reed pointed out) we can show this all day long. Good stuff.

Wow! I don't think we've ever been that high at any point in time on a recruiting list during Mooney's tenure or maybe ever. Impressive.
I wonder how deeply did they rank players before Mooney? Was there a player ranked 400-500?

I believe that is our wheelhouse - guys ranked 150 - 200 on these sites. As noted, The AW3, Henderson, marshall wood strikeout left us in a bad place. I am definitely not opposed to going after the top 100 type guys, but just seems like the resource (time mostly) to chase those guys has to impact your ability to sign these type of guys. By prioritizing the other guys it seems to be a good strategy - this year anyway and as sman noted we have had a pretty good run last few years. I also like that we are hammering home the way we use the big men, and allow them touches and to actually make plays. Other schools can "sell" this, but when you break out the tape (and the usage numbers as Reed pointed out) we can show this all day long. Good stuff.
Yes, 170-220 seems to have worked out for us. Going after #70 with #420 as a backup plan did not.

Reactions: gospidersgo
I think the 150-200 ranked players now are a lot better than the 150-200 ranked players 10 years ago. Most of these guys play basketball year round now, and many give up other sports to work that much more on their hoops game. As a result, they shoot better, they are more versatile, and there are just more good players out there to choose from. So, it makes a lot more sense now to focus on this area than it did 10 years ago, when we were trying to find more hidden gems out there. But, you still need to land them, and credit to our staff for getting them in here the last several years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT