ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Reed - 2023 Decommit

Fresh off the Tulsa visit makes me nervous, but at least it's not like the day after. Four pretty good programs to choose from...Colorado State's obviously been great the past few years, UNI and Tulsa have both been a little up and down in recent years but they've both got some fairly recent conference or tournament championships under their belts. I'm certainly biased, but I find it hard to think there's a better fit for his skills than UR though.

Best part is we will know today if the Spiders managed to land a top target in the position that always seems be the one with the most need. If not, back to portal hunting. Do agree with others that UR checks all the boxes that Reed has mentioned. Only negative is the distance from home, but Spider hoops does have Texas based alums.

Just going to throw out there that Gipe liked Reed’s tweet. Here’s hoping he knows the decision already and that it’s a good sign.

#InGipeWeTrust
#WhereTheresAWillGipeTheresAWay

#WinOneForTheGiper

This would be a really really good get for us if it comes through. Hate to go too crazy here, and Philly I know only highlights - but he looks like a real legit 3 point shooter for a big man. Not just the makes on the highlights, but the confidence, and the fact that if you play the audio on the highlights the other team's coach is yelling at the defender feverishly to get up on Reed when he catches it out there. And this guy works for position in the block and boxed out on defense. A ton to like. Bring it home Gipe!!

Reactions: plydogg
nervously waiting for 6:00pm.
giphy.gif

Their recruiting board is a premium one. I see a short thread there about his visit, but can't view it.

Is it me, or nothing. at all. on the Tulsa board about Reed?

23 - do u remember that wing recruit we lost to Tulsa? Can’t place his name. spiderman or SF might know or dig up. This goes back a long time. Maybe to Beilein. I recall being upset we didn’t get him. Think had decent career.

Not a new interview, but I like this quote:

“I want to go somewhere I can play early,” Reed said. “It doesn’t have to be the highest level, but someone who plays through a big like me and I can get on the floor early.”

I realize we will have Quinn still, but we do lose Grace, and could use a college ready big. Have to believe we can make as good a case as anyone for playing through the big and big man getting touches.
I don't like kids who say they want to go somewhere they can play early. It makes me feel like they are looking for a guarantee from the coach they will play right away. And as a good friend once told me - if the coach recruiting you promises to the recruit/player they will start or play right away - that same coach is probably making the same statement/promise to all the other recruits.

With that being said - I would say Reed has a chance to play early at UR, as we will not be very deep at his position, but he will be behind Quinn. But no reason if he works hard, and is good enough - he could play as a frosh, and then by soph year be a key piece. But that is on him and the work he puts in.

23 - do u remember that wing recruit we lost to Tulsa? Can’t place his name. spiderman or SF might know or dig up. This goes back a long time. Maybe to Beilein. I recall being upset we didn’t get him. Think had decent career.
Jarius Glenn. yeah, I really wanted him too!

Reactions: GKiller
With that being said - I would say Reed has a chance to play early at UR, as we will not be very deep at his position, but he will be behind Quinn. But no reason if he works hard, and is good enough - he could play as a frosh, and then by soph year be a key piece. But that is on him and the work he puts in.
no guarantees. I know philly saw Walz in HS, but I'm not writing him off. but yeah, Reed looks like a guy who could get time right away. love his skill set.

Yeah, as I recall, it came down to us and Tulsa, and he opted for the Golden Hurricanes, which at the time were a perennial NCAA team under Buzz, but he left before Glenn even got on campus.

Glenn stuck with Tulsa and they had two more good years under Phillips where they made NCAAs, but then it all collapsed as a bunch of guys transferred out. By his senior year he was the man, but on a bad team....Phillips resigned just a few games into the season. His permanent replacement once the season was over and Glenn was gone? Doug Wojcik.

I'm sure glad sman replied before I saw Gkiller's question, b/c I had no re-collection, though I'm sure killer was right :). Name sounds real familiar.

SF - I knew I had to be missing something on Tulsa message boards. I am remaining cautiously optimistic, but thinking Tulsa OK may be closest option - parents could see him play, etc?

Claim from the Tulsa board that he's down to two, one of them being Tulsa. On the fence about spending the $10 to see if their premium board says who the other one is.

can't imagine a better situation than what he'd walk into at UR, but Tulsa's only 4 hours from home.
that could be a tough hurdle.

Maybe we called him up on Monday and told him we only had one spot left after the Collin Tanner commit and would be soon having some other players in on official visits that might decide to grab it. Matt Reed took a couple days and decided to commit here because he loved the school on his visit, how we'd use him as a player, and how the other two guys in our class will compliment him rather than compete for playing time.

doubt we'd pressure him into a decision. just think he's seen enough and knows which one feels right.

no guarantees. I know philly saw Walz in HS, but I'm not writing him off. but yeah, Reed looks like a guy who could get time right away. love his skill set.
I'd like to get Reed because he looks like he is a talented player, but I agree we should not forget about Walz. If Walz can fill in some for Quinn after this season, and take over there when Quinn leaves, we will have time to get some non guards to add to the roster, either with transfers next spring, or new recruits next year.

Right now, we have Quinn, Grace, Tyler, Bigelow, Noyes, and Walz. In 2 seasons, we will have Quinn, Bigelow, Noyes, and Walz, so if we don't land Reed, we still have time to get a good piece or 2 in here.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
Not all of those guys can play the 5 though, VT, and that's where we need to make sure we have help with Quinn finishing up. Noyes makes Sal look like Schwarzenegger in comparison.

Reed being able to play "4" and "5" is a great bonus. Yes, we do still have options if Reed doesn't pan out, but he's definitely my Plan A.

Reed's top two are indeed UR and Tulsa. He previously dropped UNI from consideration and a visit to Colorado State for this weekend fell through for some reason. He spoke well of his Tulsa visit, but that's to be expected considering they're a finalist and he's interviewing with a Tulsa site.

He told Inside Tulsa Sports last week that he’ll make his decision between Richmond and Tulsa.

“I’m looking for a program that’s going to develop me and help me reach my goal of becoming a pro,” Reed said. “Somewhere I have a great relationship with the head coach, somewhere I have the opportunity of having meaningful minutes early on, and somewhere I can use all my strengths within their style of play.”

If he is looking for a permanent home, maybe someone should remind him that Jeriah Horne transferred back and forth at Tulsa. While he could be our version for 4 years...

Not all of those guys can play the 5 though, VT, and that's where we need to make sure we have help with Quinn finishing up. Noyes makes Sal look like Schwarzenegger in comparison.

Reed being able to play "4" and "5" is a great bonus. Yes, we do still have options if Reed doesn't pan out, but he's definitely my Plan A.
Yes, I would like to get him as well, but just saying I think we still have time to land this type of guy if we don't get him. Concerning the "5", and making sure Quinn has help, if Walz is good, we still have 2 years of Quinn and Walz. Are you counting Walz out? That is more than fine for the next 2 years at the "5". I don't think we have ever needed more than 2 "5s", and we did fine with just Grant and Grace there the past 3 years (sorry, but no, Sal does not count there, and no, Noyes does not make him look any bigger). So, there is time. But, like you said, Reed could play with Quinn or Walz, and I definitely hope we get him.

Last edited:
Oh I for sure wouldn't write anyone off based on what I saw in high school. First off, kids improve/develop etc. 2ndly, it fair to question what the hell I know! As I remind folks often, the kid I saw the most in high school (as in almost every game for 3 years) was Michael Bridges. Said he'd never be a major contributor at Villanova. A National title, all american awards, lottery pick, NBA all defensive team and major player for team with best record in NBA its pretty clear I had absolutely no idea what I was talking about.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT