ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Reed - 2023 Decommit

Gonna be keeping a close eye on this kid...a big should be a priority for the next class. Minimum of two slots to replace Grace and Goose, and presumably a max of four if Burton and Crabtree don't use their extra years. (I'm assuming Quinn is planning to use his extra year.)

Hmm, Gipe couldn't tell any stories about sinking a three to eliminate Kansas from the NCAA tournament. Advantage CSU there.

Washington State offer...

Edit: And Colorado State...

Last edited:
I would take it the full staff means we think we are in the hunt and really trying to see what we can do to finish. I have seen him twice on AAU circuit. He'd be an excellent get. He is very skilled albeit not a great athlete. But much like we have had success with small PGs, we have had success with skilled not so athletic bigs. Hopefully we can sell that to him! He is well ahead of Walz for example in my opinion.

appreciate your first hand info, Philly.
just for clarification ... when was the last time you saw Walz play? was it last winter?
I thought in the Summer practice video he looked well built for his age and moved Ok. He looked pretty coordinated for a big freshman.

hmm, all seem like solid mid major programs, though Tulsa down last year. I watched some of the video that SF posted on here. Really like the looks of Reed. Game film he looks like a hard worker, good skill level. Posts up hard, and just as comfortable to step out and hit a three. Hope we get him!

Reactions: Section9.RowD
Yeah, just meant the makeup of our school is much different from the other three, so it's not like we're having to compete with Davidson and Stanford or something. If he wants a bigger school, he has three to choose from. If not, he's coming here.

Also, three middle of the country schools and then us on the East Coast. We certainly are the outlier in this group in a number of ways, so I kind of like that. If he wants what we uniquely have, we are set up as the only school to offer that.

Good points and I do like that we seem to be a completely different option as far as actual location, size, etc of the school. Seems to have ruled out the offers/interest from the power conference schools. From the tape, love that he looks quite comfortable all over the court. Knows how to use his body to get in position inside. Looks like real high hoops IQ.

seems to play a lot like TJ.
and if he watches tape of TJ and Grant ... how would he not want to play here?

Reactions: urfan1
appreciate your first hand info, Philly.
just for clarification ... when was the last time you saw Walz play? was it last winter?
That's correct on when I saw him HS games - - several as he is very close by. HS is tougher to assess because competition is all over the board. Especially for bigs who may be lining up against a 6'3 guy on other team. AAU is easier to assess

Really like this guy. Can't jump over the Manakin-Sabot phone book, but boy can he shoot it, and works inside.
lol, athleticism is certainly a concern.
but with his shooting and size, he'd be ACC if he was athletic. we can work on that a bit. I don't remember .. but I'm hoping TJ looked like that in HS.

Not a new interview, but I like this quote:

“I want to go somewhere I can play early,” Reed said. “It doesn’t have to be the highest level, but someone who plays through a big like me and I can get on the floor early.”

I realize we will have Quinn still, but we do lose Grace, and could use a college ready big. Have to believe we can make as good a case as anyone for playing through the big and big man getting touches.

Reactions: urfan1 and VT4700
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT