ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Grace

I’m not going to judge Quinn off 3 games, especially when two of those games were VMI and UNI. He was never going to just magically replace Grant’s offensive production from day 1.

One thing I noticed about him that gives me some concern in our offense is he does not seem comfortable making the pass on a backdoor cut. Grant picked up a lot of assists of that and so far Neal seems to either see it but just a split second too late or be hesitant to make the pass. I understand it, you don’t want to commit a turnover if it isn’t there.

I think as he develops within our offensive style he’ll get better at that and it will do wonders to help his overall game. I’m looking forward to it
Being 7 foot doesn't help either. I remember Grant, TJ, and even Geriot making this pass - and it was usually a bounce pass or quick give and go cut with a guard. I don't think Quinn can physically make the bounce pass like they did because of his size and immobility, it would likely need to be a pass over the top.

Time will tell. I personally didn't expect him to start. And I think his best games are ahead of him - just a question of when.

2 taller and not as athletic. Golden played a little lower to the ground, would dribble a time or two on the perimeter, again bringing him lower to the ground. So far - when Quinn catches the ball, he mainly stays upright and ball near head. Rightfully so - he is 7 feet tall.

Reactions: GKiller
Depending on the severity - MFG could be out a week or two. Which would be bad as I got a feeling he could miss the Empire Classic. Guess the question is - is MFG at 70% better than his backups (whoever they might be) - or would it be better to rest him to get back to 100% ?

Depending on the severity - MFG could be out a week or two. Which would be bad as I got a feeling he could miss the Empire Classic. Guess the question is - is MFG at 70% better than his backups (whoever they might be) - or would it be better to rest him to get back to 100% ?
IMO - Get to him to 100% and assume even w/o MFG assume that we can beat the upstate NY team who lost at home handily to a Patriot league team last night (although admittingly the pre-season conference favorite)

Last edited:
Reactions: spider23
Shhhhh. I have it on good authority that MFG is in a very unique procedure in which they cloned his knee, fully repaired and now have replaced it. It is expected to be 101% by 10:35 AM EST tomorrow.

Disclosure: I am not a doctor, only play one on tv. All medical knowledge was garnered from any political science classes with Dr. Kleff in the early 90's.
Looks like we had to have JOC put a little misinformation out there, and hold Matt out to complete the cover up. Rest assured he will be 101% tomorrow. We debated replacing both knees and giving him a 54" vertical while at it, but thought that may be a little too much for the world to handle. Kind of like Dave Chappelle's "Deep Impact"

Wtf? Still no Grace update?

I believe the pregame press conference with Mooney was today. Even pro sports teams are less than forthcoming and they have requirements. But just saying the info comes out of those pressers, that is where JOC gets the bulk of his news (in season). Unless it was something major like season ending which might go out as a press release instead.

2 taller and not as athletic. Golden played a little lower to the ground, would dribble a time or two on the perimeter, again bringing him lower to the ground. So far - when Quinn catches the ball, he mainly stays upright and ball near head. Rightfully so - he is 7 feet tall.
ok, but that's all teachable. he can certainly make a bounce pass. he was a 4.0 apg guy. that's a big number for a 5. here's a bounce pass.

Also, it sounded like Walz might get some run but that we'll go without a true 5 for part of game too. Which makes sense I couldn't see a Quinn/Walz combo eating up 40 minutes.

Moon was not asked about Crabtree.

But the rest of the presser was quite interesting. Moon basically talked about scheduling equity the whole time, something I've talked about for years on here that the NCAA needs to regulate imo. Btw thx for reading Moon man! I just wish Mooney used platform he had in offseason with Field of 68 re: the letter on expanding the field to raise & incorporate this issue. That a reason you have to consider expanding is because there is not that equity. But he didn't which was unfortunate imo. But he made great points in the presser, however that won't get any attention outside our own bubble.

He brought up how the Pac12 is 0-3 on road vs. SWAC teams. The pac12 has some sort of scheduling partnership (short term?) with SWAC. I didn't realize. But so far that power conf is 0-3 on road and it's because on the road. Also that Alcorn State a team that beat Wichita State plays like 15 straight road games, & why isn't the NCAA concerned about that.

& he raised the professional sports example that they have scheduling equity. Of course it was the Eagles, it's still freakin' South Philly in the Robins Center.

I'll add the one thing he'll never touch...that a huge reason why it is the way it is...because colleges willingly give out ridiculous contracts and overpay these coaches.

Last edited:
Also, it sounded like Walz might get some run but that we'll go without a true 5 for part of game too. Which makes sense I couldn't see a Quinn/Walz combo eating up 40 minutes.

Moon was not asked about Crabtree.

But the rest of the presser was quite interesting. Moon basically talked about scheduling equity the whole time, something I've talked about for years on here that the NCAA needs to regulate imo. Btw thx for reading Moon man! I just wish Mooney used platform he had in offseason with Field of 68 re: the letter on expanding the field to raise & incorporate this issue. That a reason you have to consider expanding is because there is not that equity. But he didn't which was unfortunate imo. But he made great points in the presser, however that won't get any attention outside our own bubble.

He brought up how the Pac12 is 0-3 on road vs. SWAC teams. The pac12 has some sort of scheduling partnership (short term?) with SWAC. I didn't realize. But so far that power conf is 0-3 on road and it's because on the road. Also that Alcorn State a team that beat Wichita State plays like 15 straight road games, & why isn't the NCAA concerned about that.

& he raised the professional sports example that they have scheduling equity. Of course it was the Eagles, it's still freakin' South Philly in the Robins Center.

I'll add the one thing he'll never touch...that a huge reason why it is the way it is...because colleges willingly give out ridiculous contracts and overpay these coaches.
Thank you. I don’t disagree with his point, but he should have used his platform after beating Iowa to explain how ridiculous it was the Big 10 got so many births in the tournament. Not about scheduling equity.

Thank you. I don’t disagree with his point, but he should have used his platform after beating Iowa to explain how ridiculous it was the Big 10 got so many births in the tournament. Not about scheduling equity.

What? I never said anything about the Iowa game platform. I said the letter he wrote to the Field of 68. Think run by Jeff Goodman. It was recent, within the last month. Maybe u missed it.

Not sure where u got Iowa game. Wouldn’t happen but I would have loved if he ripped the overrated B10 & their bids back then!

He's gotta be aggressive and decisive when he gets it on first catch on the block. So far looks like he's holding and waiting to see what the defense does, and 80% of the time it's led to a simple kickout. Really think he can exploit guys on the block with quicker decisions. Making some 3s early in a game would also help ease the double teams and lane clutter.

Agree, he looks stiff and tentative in play through 3 games and not the best match up option in certain situations, but don’t give up on him. Many gave up on Grace early, but without him Spiders would not be reigning A10 Champions (plus we are now fretting about his absence.)

Quinn is a weapon Mooney is still pondering how best to use. He will be a major factor in many games this year. Has good offensive footwork, can alter shots on defense, but haven’t yet seen the slick passing we are accustomed to from our Bigs. New to the system. Give him time. If Spiders are to be successful, he has a significant role to play.

Quinn has certainly but underwhelming in the first couple of games. I do think Quinn does what Mooney wants in our offense out of the center position, which is to be a distributive center that is an important part of the flow of our offense. If Grace is out for any period of time, our solution is to start Bigelow alongside Quinn. Walz will probably get some significant back-up minutes behind Quinn, as I don't see and I don't think Mooney sees Quinn as a 30 minute per night guy. I have literally zero idea if Walz is ready for that role though. Certainly, body wise he is ready, but unsure if Mooney would have confidence in him at this point to do what he wants both offensively and defensively.
How many assists DOES The Mighty Quinn have to this point?

Agree, he looks stiff and tentative in play through 3 games and not the best match up option in certain situations, but don’t give up on him. Many gave up on Grace early, but without him Spiders would not be reigning A10 Champions (plus we are now fretting about his absence.)

Quinn is a weapon Mooney is still pondering how best to use. He will be a major factor in many games this year. Has good offensive footwork, can alter shots on defense, but haven’t yet seen the slick passing we are accustomed to from our Bigs. New to the system. Give him time. If Spiders are to be successful, he has a significant role to play.
Agree...Neal has really good footwork and I think it's like you said he's trying to get acclimated to our system and it's still early. By the meat of the conf I'm hoping he firing on all cylinders

Agree...Neal has really good footwork and I think it's like you said he's trying to get acclimated to our system and it's still early. By the meat of the conf I'm hoping he firing on all cylinders
Agree. I really liked what I saw first two games from Quinn. Let’s hope he continues to improve in a new system.
I’m just so glad Matt Grace isn’t hurt worse. Would’ve been devastating for him to wait this long to get a chance to start, show some signs of real potential and then have your bball career end to an injury. Excited to get him back soon!

6 Assists. 2 Turnovers through 3 games and 55 minutes.
And just to compare, Grace has 11 assists (leads the team), 6 turnovers in 85 minutes.

Quinn has 14 rebounds to Grace’s 12.

Bigelow has 19 rebounds, I think if he’s in replacing minutes for Grace we will be in a pretty good spot as far as grabbing Wichita bricks

Last edited:
Reactions: SpiderDad75
And just to compare, Grace has 11 assists (leads the team), 6 turnovers in 85 minutes.

Quinn has 14 rebounds to Grace’s 12.

Bigelow has 19 rebounds, I think if he’s in replacing minutes for Grace we will be in a pretty good spot as far as grabbing Wichita bricks
Agreed - with Grace out - you plug and play Bigelow. Will also be a good test to see how Bigelow plays in a starting role and likely extended minutes as I could see when Grace returns, moving Quinn to the bench and playing Grace and Bigelow to start. But this will depend on how long Grace is out, how Bigelow performs, how Grace performs as he will need to play more with Grace out, and who steps up behind them (Noyes or Walz) to help provide some sub minutes.

Agreed - with Grace out - you plug and play Bigelow. Will also be a good test to see how Bigelow plays in a starting role and likely extended minutes as I could see when Grace returns, moving Quinn to the bench and playing Grace and Bigelow to start. But this will depend on how long Grace is out, how Bigelow performs, how Grace performs as he will need to play more with Grace out, and who steps up behind them (Noyes or Walz) to help provide some sub minutes.
I had been wondering, if we go small, will Noyes get 3 or 4 minutes?

I had been wondering, if we go small, will Noyes get 3 or 4 minutes?
4 minutes, but really - he would be playing alongside Burton - so doesn't really matter. If you play Quinn and then Noyes and Burton, your basically asking both Noyes and Burton to pick up the slack down low together.

If you go super small - Bigelow, Noyes, and Burton - that could be more difficult, but would depend on the matchups and also if Bigelow knows the offense from the 5 position. I don't see that happening as much, but could easily see Quinn, Noyes, and Burton for some minutes to give Bigelow a rest.

I'd like to see Noyes but I'd be surprised.
I think this injury ... hopefully for only one game ... will allow some guys who have been getting a little time to get some more. obviously Bigelow at forward, but also Walz at the 5 and Randolph, Roche and Bailey at the wing.

Reactions: gospidersgo
My son just bruised his knee, had an
This is November, I would never bring a player back early to play at 70%. Too high of a liklihood for risk of reinjury and jeopardizing more time lost. Calculus is a bit different if this is March and we are heading into the postseason play, but for now, we rest Grace, make sure his knee is fully healed.

I agree - normally you rest the guy and get him fully healthy this early. But you could also look at it with probably our 2 best OOC games coming up in the Empire Classic, then a full week off after that before a tough Toledo matchup. Not that Grace is our best player - but I think its pretty clear from first 3 games - we need Grace. So maybe we can get by Wichita without him, then maybe he plays limited minutes in Empire Classic and gets a week off.

Reactions: urfan1
I don't know enough about bruised ligaments, but if it weakens the knee in any way (which I assume it would), then there's no way I risk playing him until it's healthy.

I don't know enough about bruised ligaments, but if it weakens the knee in any way (which I assume it would), then there's no way I risk playing him until it's healthy.
Agree, this is an area that you don't want to mess with. Hopefully it heals quickly. Will be very interestedin the minutes distribution, was expecting Quinn to be a 28+ minutes guy. He is a 7 footer coming off a broken foot so who knows.

Reactions: urfan1
ADVERTISEMENT